Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€65m on Irish road signs

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Good dose of weedkiller would solve that issue once and for all, no more costly maintenance issues for the local councils! All that wasted money just so keep CO2 down. Hedges, trees and Irish, at this rate we'll be out of recession in no time!
    harsh, a well timed yearly trim of offending branches and a bit of water would be more effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

We could also save money by joining the United Kingdom.

We could get rid of the office of the President and sell or lease out the Áras, although Liz might decide to use it as her pad rent free!

The Dáil could be amalgamated into Stormount and the Seanad done away with completely, even though a recent referendum showed the majority of people who could be bothered to vote decided that they wanted it to remain.

The army, navy, air corp could be combined into the British armed forces. So much money could be saved by ridding Ireland of anything which which is distinctly Irish. I'm sure the OP has so much more examples of how we are wasting money on being Irish. Let's hear them!

Irish literature is the oldest vernacular literature in Western Europe, wouldn't it be great if we were the generation that finally rid out nation of this costly burden which has been inflicting text written in Irish on the people of the island since the 4th century. Great idea OP! We need more visionaries like you! :)
    I can stand here and say I am Irish with next to no Gaeilge. I think the Irish language is dead. I'm still Irish. I think the state is wasting money on the Irish language. Im still distinctly Irish without that language. This doesnt mean I am British because I think the Irish language is dead. There is alot more that separates us from the British than an unused and much hated language and I don't see why not being a Gaeilge supporter implies some sort of love for the United Kingdom. Is there something wrong with having some sort of British identity or like for the British culture? Burn everything except there coal eh? What does Britain have anything to do with us discussing how our countrys run, is it an attempt to question someones Irishness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

the British cut the branches and wash their signs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Days 298 wrote: »
    This doesnt mean I am British because I think the Irish language is dead.

I would agree, believing Irish is dead does not make you British, it does make you wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

An Coilean wrote: »
    I would agree, believing Irish is dead does not make you British, it does make you wrong though.

I phrased that wrong. It has strongholds but its generally footing is very weak and I don't see a bright future for it. Its largely absent (dead) to the vast majority of Irish men and women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Days 298 wrote: »
    I phrased that wrong. It has strongholds but its generally footing is very weak and I don't see a bright future for it. Its largely absent (dead) to the vast majority of Irish men and women.

Kill it! Kill it with fire! :pac:

Advertisement