Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

• 02-03-2012 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

"Samsung" "staffer" "confirms" "release" "April" "2012"
    elReg wrote:
    A Samsung staffer has confirmed that the Galaxy S III smartphone will be out next month, as past rumours and the handset's officially recognised absence from this week's Mobile World Congress (MWC) have suggested.

That said, the source, who whispered in the ear of the chap from ZDNet Korea, spilled the beans under the condition he remain anonymous, so this is no official confirmation of the launch.

The mole didn't discuss the handset's specs, which are said to centre on a quad-core processor - a kind of chip Sony, for one, doesn't think is ready for prime time - a 12Mp camera and a curved OLED screen.

It's hard to see it not shipping with Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich.

The indications are the S III will be go on sale first in the UK, tied into Samsung's sponsorship of the London Olympics this summer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Must hold myself back from getting too excited! Nope cat do it! I want it now damn it!

(edit: should be merged into sgs 3 thread in android forum)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yup, I can probably get one day one, where I work. The rumoured specs look massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

I was speaking to a very reliable Samsung Rep in work, and it is being announced mid-March and will not have a 12MP camera, only 8MP.

I'd say it will be fantastic though!

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    I was speaking to a very reliable Samsung Rep in work, and it is being announced mid-March and will not have a 12MP camera, only 8MP.

I would be more than happy with 8 if it had zero shutter lag.

god's toy wrote: »
    jayjay2010 wrote: »

I would be more than happy with 8 if it had zero shutter lag.
    Yeah, the SGSII was meant to have zero shutter lag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

There was an article on Engadget at the start of last month mentioning that the Samsung Galaxy S III (or whatever name the successor to the S II will be called) will have it's own launch in the first half of this year, which matches what RangeR mentions in his first post.

As a Samsung Galaxy S II owner, I'm really looking forward to what specifications the S III will have; however, I might not be upgrading as soon as it's launched as I can't think of any feature that will warrant the upgrade. I understand there will be an improved screen, camera, CPU etc, and as a lover of mobile phones I'm always excited when new technology is released, but I just don't see the need for a quad-core CPU in a phone, especially when I won't be using the phone for any task that would warrant it, i.e. gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I picked up a galaxy s2 the other day and it is pretty amazing, an improved version would be great but I don't think I need a quad core cpu.

A bit ot but I was thinking seeing as phones are out now with laptop docks would it be possible to get a phone that you could dock into a tablet.
    Seems like a great idea to me and one I would buy straight away, does something like it exist already or is it a silly idea.

54kroc wrote: »
    I picked up a galaxy s2 the other day and it is pretty amazing, an improved version would be great but I don't think I need a quad core cpu.

A bit ot but I was thinking seeing as phones are out now with laptop docks would it be possible to get a phone that you could dock into a tablet.
    Seems like a great idea to me and one I would buy straight away, does something like it exist already or is it a silly idea.

It's a great idea! You could just pop your phone into the side/back/wherever of the tablet-dock and away you go. With quad-core handsets coming out in droves in the coming months, this is easily something that would not only be cheaper than buying both a mobile phone and tablet by the same company, i.e. Samsung Galaxy S II + Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, but would cut down on the need for two sim cards and two mobile contracts if you were someone who wanted to stay connected on both devices wherever you went.

54kroc, I'm off to Samsung with that idea! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Airhead21

I am due my upgrade and I have I phone 4 was thinking of going for samsung galaxy s11 but should I wait for the new one?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'd have said so, the price of the SGS2 hasn't really dropped in about 6 months so from a depreciation of the phone point of view, id wait for the SGS3. Whats more the HTC ONE X and the LG 4x really impressed me when they were unveiled, i'm expecting this phone to absolutely blow my mind! That edge to edge screen design thats being mooted everywhere, looks amazing!

I've had a SGS1 for about a year and a half, i'll get this in a few months as long as it isn't extortionately priced. Also here's hoping it still has a microSD slot..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Airhead21 wrote: »
    I am due my upgrade and I have I phone 4 was thinking of going for samsung galaxy s11 but should I wait for the new one?????

Product announcement is three weeks off.

At least wait til you know what the III is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Airhead21 wrote: »

I'm the same as you but am holding out for another few weeks and see what's happening then!! I'd be sickened if I upgraded to the sII and than the sIII was released a few weeks later!:eek:

I actually can't wait to wait to get rid of my iPhone!! Hate it so much

Anyone know the date that samsung are releasing the specs????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

54kroc wrote: »

Not quite what your thinking of but same idea, i'm using one, cracking phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

How curved is curved.. Not into the idea of curved screens at all.

Amalgam wrote: »

I don't see how it work anyway, there would be no advantage and plenty of disadvantages, the cost of manufacturing curved glass would be a lot higher as well. I'd say it's a non runner, a curved design maybe but the glass needs to be flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Both the nexus s, and galaxy nexus use curved displays. I wouldn't rule it out for the sg3.

Any word on s111 specs yet???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Amalgam wrote: »

I don't see how it work anyway, there would be no advantage and plenty of disadvantages, the cost of manufacturing curved glass would be a lot higher as well. I'd say it's a non runner, a curved design maybe but the glass needs to be flat.

Have a look at a display Nokia lumia 800, it has it and while not cheap it's a good bit cheaper than iPhones. I have one, aesthetically the screen looks great which is all it is meant to do.

Have a look at a display Nokia lumia 800, it has it and while not cheap it's a good bit cheaper than iPhones. I have one, aesthetically the screen looks great which is all it is meant to do.

I've a dummy in my hand, see what you mean, the curve is nice in it, the edges on the phone should have matched it though. They should have curved them as well like a smooth pebble. The nokia feels heavier than an xperia s even though it's a lot smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

any update on a release date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I wouldn't believe any of these rumours until something official is released.

Samsung have a massive task on their hands, i think the popularity of the SGSII even surprised them, trying to better the best smartphone ever made is a big job but ive every confidence they will come up with the goods.:cool:

naughtb4 wrote: »
    any update on a release date?

I would say it will be within the next few weeks, especially given the recent rumours about the S III coming thick and fast.

I'm really looking forward to the official announcement! Given what I've been reading around the net, some of the features the S III will supposedly have are pretty insane, e.g. 1080p display, ceramic case with inductive charging. I'll probably stick with my S II when the S III is released but the more and more I think about it, the more and more I see myself going out and getting an S III because it's all new and shiny :D

Just try not to dream too hard peeps, the hardware specs were locked down months ago and people like to lose the run of themselves with wild speculation being sold as 'fact' on many of those sites, Remember the Crapple iphoney 5 hype?...

Will the GS3 be super impressive? You bet ya! Will be life changing, everything you wanted and more? Perhaps not...
    BUT will I be buying it anyway? Oh hell yea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i have moved this thread to the android forum
    thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So what are the rumoured specs and will it be better than the HTC One X?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

That's the disappointing thing. Everything we have heard so far is just rumours. There is nothing substantiated at all about this. In fact, I believe Samsung haven't even confirmed that they are working on a S3!

I would imagine that they might have released some information by now, if not only to pour some water over HTCs parade?

For that reason I would guess that they are nowhere near release at the moment (for whatever reason they have), and they are probably a few months away at best.

Zascar wrote: »
    So what are the rumoured specs and will it be better than the HTC One X?

Just saw some of them his morning. Beast of a device, compared to an SGS2. Looks lovely, although I'm not a fan of white phones.

I haven't heard even a whisper of the SGS3 yet. Nothing but rumour and here-say. The most spectacular rumour is the wireless charging. That would be awsome.

HTC One X
    32GB standard
    NFC
    4.7 inch screen [720p?]
    Bluetooth 4
    ** Secondary camera is worse than SGS2
    Quad Core CPU
    1800mAh battery

Saadyst wrote: »
    That's the disappointing thing. Everything we have heard so far is just rumours. There is nothing substantiated at all about this. In fact, I believe Samsung haven't even confirmed that they are working on a S3!

I believe official word is imminent [1 to 2 months at most]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Despite being 31 with a wife, child and real world problems a portion of every day is spent worrying that the S3 won't be a good as the one-x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

So go from 4S to Nexus or wait for S3? I came decide.

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    wait for S3

!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Interesting article:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 Release Date: 10 Million Units Reportedly Pre-Ordered; But Is Launch Delayed Due To S2 ICS Update?

At a time when there are constant rumors about a specific timeframe for the release of the Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone, a new piece of information turned up recently saying that as many as 10 million units of the device had already been ordered by channel partner companies.

Can We Expect Galaxy S3 in April or May?
    Denying all previous speculations, South Korean technology giant's upcoming flagship smartphone was a no show at this year's Mobile World Congress that took place in February. But that didn't stop the buzz around the Galaxy S3. Samsung fans kept the rumor mills churning with speculations starting from the release date to the most likely features on board.

Samsung recently told the technology website The Verge that the successor to Galaxy S2 would be launched in the first half of 2012. "The successor to the GALAXY S II smartphone will be unveiled in the first half of the year, closer to commercial availability of the product... We cannot confirm the detailed information at the moment," said the company.
    So as far as the release date is concerned, Samsung's own announcement itself gave waiting customers an authentic ground to believe that the S3 will arrive in the first half of this year.

A recent report by ZDNet Korea said that the device would be released in April and it would hit the stores in July, in a bid to coincide with Samsung's sponsorship of the London Olympic Games. But a latest report by Android Spin has pushed the release date from April to June. This was the same site that reported on March 13 that Galaxy S3 was in production and would be released next month or, at latest, in May. But it's better to take it with a pinch of salt.

On the other hand, TechRadar, citing another leaked photo of the device, reported that Galaxy S3 might see the light of the day in May. "Thanks to the photo which was posted on the social news website Reddit, the Samsung Galaxy S3 is set for a May 22 launch, in London," the report added.

The report said the "official-looking leaked press image reveals" that the device will get "a new style with the front of the device sporting a two-tone white and grey design."

How Does Galaxy S2 Impinge on S3's Release?
    According to a report in Pop Herald, older Android phones are sometimes stuck with an older version of Android as manufacturers get more inclined to focus on new devices. As a result, customers are forced to purchase a new phone to experience the new version of the OS.

"Tech bloggers, especially the opinionated ones, agree that Samsung must reach the 100 percent 'Galaxy S2 with Ice Cream Sandwich' status worldwide before selling a new flagship device, like the widely expected Galaxy S3, because it is the best way to convince the buying public that Samsung doesn't abandon customers like other manufacturers," the report said.

While some Galaxy S2 owners are using the new Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS after receiving the update over the air, or through Samsung's software "Kies," or by manual update, "almost all customers, mostly the carrier-locked customers," in the US are still awaiting their scoop.

An unidentified employee of a wireless carrier told Pop Herald that the delay is possibly due to some rules and procedures that US-based carriers implement.

"Samsung's Ice Cream Sandwich for the S2 must work properly with carrier apps," Pop Herald quoted the source as saying. "They're already testing the new software and I heard it works."

Various reports surfaced last week about a leaked ICS update for AT&T Galaxy S2 variants. However, the path was considered a very risky one. Android Police posted a report suggesting that manually updating the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket to Ice Cream Sandwich might "brick" the phone.

Whether it's the success of the Galaxy S2, the slow roll out of the ICS update on the S2, or whatever the actual reason may be for Galaxy S3's delayed launch, the enthusiasm among the awaiting consumers seems increasing every other day. Let's have a look at what the Samsung Galaxy S3 is likely to offer once it is made public.

Processor: Samsung is highly rumored to improve its processor in the Galaxy S3 in a big way. The rumors so far have suggested that a quad-core, Exynos 4212/ Exyos 5250, 2 GHz/ 1.8 GHz processor with 2GB RAM would power the Galaxy S3. The phone is also expected to get major speed boosts on graphics and incorporate some battery-friendly power-saving features with its latest device.

Display: Recent rumors suggested that Galaxy S3 will feature a 4.8 inch, full HD 1080P resolution display with 16:9 aspect ratio. Many reports even said that Samsung might launch the device as its first phone with a 3D screen.

Design: Samsung Galaxy S3 has been speculated to be thinner than Galaxy S2. Given that Galaxy S2 is just 8.5 mm thick, Galaxy S3 will definitely have a wow factor if it does turn out to be thinner than its predecessor.

Camera: Rumors about the camera feature in Samsung Galaxy S3 have gone too far, saying that it may feature a 12 megapixel 4000x3000 pixels camera along with features like autofocus, LED flash, geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection and image stabilization features. The phone is also expected to sport a 2 megapixel secondary camera.

Operating System: Galaxy S3 is likely to be available in the market with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, Google's latest mobile operating system. Rumors also said that Galaxy S3's TouchWiz would be an upgraded one and would include Samsung hubs for music, reading, games and apps.

Memory: With 2GB RAM, the next Samsung smartphone is likely to have internal storage options of 16/32GB. The device is also expected to support a microSD card up to 64GB.

Connectivity: Samsung's upcoming flagship smartphone will also likely incorporate LTE and Near Field Communication (NFC) technology. As suggested by rumors, features like Bluetooth version 4.0, assisted GPS with GLONASS, Wi-Fi with DLNA and hotspot functionality are also on the cards.

Battery: Samsung Galaxy S3 is expected to feature a 2250mAh battery.

Interesting article:

Linky No Worky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The problem with all these super powerful phones now is the battery. To me it doesn't matter how amazing the specs are if battery isn't going to last the day. Point in case is the HTC One X, it seems unsurprisingly that the battery life is not good.

It could be that the Galaxy S2 is the ideal spec for the battery technology we have today? Hopefully there is something new around the corner. I remember reading an article a while back about a new battery technology that lasted a week on a single charge, problem was it took 8 hours to charge and only lasted about 50 charging cycles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Totally agree. The battery issue drives me nuts. Yes, charge your phone at night like everyone else etc - but the odd time you might forget and then you get caugth out, or you have headvy usage that day or need it at night but it dies. Bloody pain in the ass.

I heard the Motorola Droid Razr Maxxx has amazing battery life. 17 hours talk time and days of normal usage. Why can't they all be like this? Makes no sense.

I did hear Samsung are working on a battery that lasts a week of normal usage, but don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

If Samsung were smart about this they'd unveil it soon. Many people are looking to upgrade to the One X but holding out on news of the S3. If they don't give us some information soon, people will just get the One X.

Zascar wrote: »
    I heard the Motorola Droid Razr Maxxx has amazing battery life. 17 hours talk time and days of normal usage. Why can't they all be like this? Makes no sense.

With a 3300 mAh Li Ion battery, I can see how. ;)

I'm sure Samsung someone will "leak" some official specs soon, as it's par for the course at this stage. I'm betting on an April announcement with availability in Irish stores late May/early June.

If Samsung were smart about this they'd unveil it soon. Many people are looking to upgrade to the One X but holding out on news of the S3. If they don't give us some information soon, people will just get the One X.

I was at the HTC One X Launch last night and the guy told me that in the UK the S2 was launched a few weeks ahead of the Sensation and because of that Samsung got a big head start - and it really helped their sales - and hurt the sales of the Sensation. Samsung would want to get theirs out very quickly or they are going to be left way behind. One of the major things for HTC this year is the simplified messages, 3 phones under the same "One" umbrella, and three flavours depending on your budget and preference for (screen) size etc. My guess is they are going to sell zillions of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Despite being 31 with a wife, child and real world problems a portion of every day is spent worrying that the S3 won't be a good as the one-x

The best post ever. That made me laugh mate cheers

• Advertisement

This looks like it could be the real deal :)

59501c4293e7fdedbf73ce411e04fade.jpg

The May 22nd date seems to gel with the "leaked" images of the SIII I've seen around the net, so there may be some truth in them since that date is a running theme.

If in fact that image is real, holy God in heaven that handset looks beautiful!! I want, I want, I want!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭thomasj

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The May 22nd date seems to gel with the "leaked" images of the SIII I've seen around the net, so there may be some truth in them since that date is a running theme.

If in fact that image is real, holy God in heaven that handset looks beautiful!! I want, I want, I want!! :)

Heres one of those recent reportedly leaked images
    http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-release-date-photo-64212

Great to see a dedicated camera button - very disappointed the One X does not have one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Will prob hit the shops early July? Giving HTC 3 months to make hay.

I hope the design is per the pic linking above, not the one in the article which is fugly.

They really need to depart from the very uninspired SGS apple 3G knockoff design to date and take a leaf out of HTC's book with the fabulous looking One Series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭thomasj

How funny if this were true?!
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/galaxy-s3-is-here-now-its-the-galaxy-note-says-samsung-vp-50007553/

A few quotes from it:
    But while Android lovers have been distractedly salivating over all that Galaxy S3 photoshoppery, they've failed to notice Samsung has already launched what it considers to be the sequel to the S2. Or so says Simon Stanford, VP of Samsung Telecommunications and Networks for Samsung UK and Ireland, speaking in an exclusive interview with CNET UK.
    "The evolution in S2 is already here, it's there, it's Galaxy Note and that is a really strong device for Samsung, globally as well as in the UK," he says.

The Galaxy Note is an enormo-phone-cum-mini-tablet, which includes a stylus for doodling in a retro throwback to PDAs of yesteryear. This 5.3-inch beast straddles the gap betwixt the biggest smart phones and the smallest tablets. It's both phone and tablet, says Stanford, who reckons its whopping screen represents the perfect combo of the two devices.

"The successor [to the S2] is already here, it's the Galaxy Note," he repeats, echoing the Galaxy Note exclamatory brand tag-line: 'It's Galaxy Note!'
    "Any successor to the S2 we will announce at a separate Samsung event when it's nearer commercial release -- if [there is any successor]," he adds.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Have seen the ad on TV for the note and was surprised at the lack of discussion on the phone

does anyone know if its going to be released by O2 here am tempted to move away from my iphone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

If that really is it in the Press Invite thing then im sold sold sold (i was sold before anyway)

There is a tweet from someone who actually help the S3 which confirms nothing but impy's everything in relation to that image:

Eldar.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

fionny wrote: »
    If that really is it in the Press Invite thing then im sold sold sold (i was sold before anyway)

There is a tweet from someone who actually help the S3 which confirms nothing but impy's everything in relation to that image:

Eldar.jpg

Pic looks like some mobile concept art I saw in the past, can't remember where, which makes me pretty sure its fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Inquitus wrote: »
    Pic looks like some mobile concept art I saw in the past, can't remember where, which makes me pretty sure its fake.

I looks like the magnetic concept that was bandied around some time back:

nokia-kinect-concept-phone-design.jpg (kinda anyway)

but im being optimistic here

• Advertisement
Advertisement