Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question About unfair Irish Rail fine

Options
  • 29-10-2013 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

hi was just looking for advice on a fine i got on Sunday, i was travelling To drogheda for a family party and was already delayed due to having to get a bus to malahide due to the train repairs now i got on in all faith i would be picked up in donabate by a relative so thats where i bought my ticket so i then got the call this would not be possible and i would have to go to drogheda so two ticket inspectors got on in donabate and i approached them and told them the story i mean what else could i do i told them i would be willing to pay any fare at the other end they then told me no i was a fare evader for having an invalid ticket and charged me 113 euro:confused:

So Irishrail had already delayed me then when i had no other choice unless get off and wait 1 hour on my own and i went up and told them the situation i get fined 100 euro surely they could of said no get out in rusk and lusk even can i contest this did they have the right to give me such a hefty fine for somthing i clearly couldnt control ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

don't pay it,, did u give ur name??? or address ?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

coolock94 wrote: »
    don't pay it,, did u give ur name??? or address ?

was forced to but surely i can contest did given the fact i had ticket and wasent even given the option to get out a stop after

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

What bus did you get?

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    What bus did you get?

had to get the 32 from raheny

Dublinfan wrote: »
    had to get the 32 from raheny

How where you delayed? The buses where running ok. You got on in Malahide and paid in Donabate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/FixedPenaltyDLLeafletV.4180620121.pdf

17. IS THERE A RIGHT OF APPEAL AGAINST A
    FIXED PENALTY NOTICE?
    If you wish to appeal against a Fixed Penalty Notice, with
    which you have been issued, you must do so in writing or
    via email to the addresses shown on the receipt given to
    you by the inspector within 21 DAYS. Failure to pay will
    lead to a prosecution and a Criminal conviction plus a
    fine of up to a €1000 in the District Courts.

I would have said I am unable to pay at the moment but will send the money via postal order, give a false name and address and leave it at that.

How where you delayed? The buses where running ok. You got on in Malahide and paid in Donabate?

because i would normally get from howth junction i paid as far as donabate presuming i would be picked up from there when i wasent i approchaced the two ticket inspectors who got on in donabate explain the story and got thrown 113 euro fine

Great advice, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

hi was just looking for advice on a fine i got on Sunday, i was travelling To drogheda for a family party and was already delayed due to having to get a bus to malahide due to the train repairs now i got on in all faith i would be picked up in donabate by a relative so thats where i bought my ticket so i then got the call this would not be possible and i would have to go to drogheda so two ticket inspectors got on in donabate and i approached them and told them the story i mean what else could i do i told them i would be willing to pay any fare at the other end they then told me no i was a fare evader for having an invalid ticket and charged me 113 euro:confused:

So Irishrail had already delayed me then when i had no other choice unless get off and wait 1 hour on my own and i went up and told them the situation i get fined 100 euro surely they could of said no get out in rusk and lusk even can i contest this did they have the right to give me such a hefty fine for somthing i clearly couldnt control ?

Sorry but I dont see why your travel arrangements changing have anything to do with Irish Rail?

Basically you stayed on the train for longer than you had paid for...so what did they do wrong exactly?

You being delayed earlier is irrelevant tbh.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Sorry but I dont see why your travel arrangements changing have anything to do with Irish Rail?

Basically you stayed on the train for longer than you had paid for...so what did they do wrong exactly?

You being delayed earlier is irrelevant tbh.

i would of happily got off next stop if requested and was hardly evading when i was honest straight away..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

i would of happily got off next stop if requested and was hardly evading when i was honest straight away..

TBH they've probably heard every excuse in the book.

At the end of the day you'd no ticket, so you got fined.
    Not their fault your lift didn't show up.

Stheno wrote: »
    TBH they've probably heard every excuse in the book.

At the end of the day you'd no ticket, so you got fined.
    Not their fault your lift didn't show up.

they could of told me to get off at rusk and lusk though which is 5 mins away rather then give me 100 euro fine for something i genuinly didnt meant to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I expect they've heard that one before.

because i would normally get from howth junction i paid as far as donabate presuming i would be picked up from there when i wasent i approchaced the two ticket inspectors who got on in donabate explain the story and got thrown 113 euro fine

Irish Rail didnt delay you and you did not get an unfair fine. You should have got off in Donabate when you found out that the lift wasn't happening and bought a ticket to Drogheda. You chose to travel past the point that you had paid for, its not the fault of Irish Rail that a relative failed to pick you up.
    The best that you can do is just go through the appeal process and explain to them what happened and that you had intended to get off in Donabate and when you got the call that you had to make your way to Drogheda instead ,you approached the RPU (not them approaching you ) thinking that you could pay them the excess to Drogheda.

You didnt want to get off in Donabate and wait another hour on your own then why would you have been happy to get off at Rush and wait an hour on your own?

You didnt want to get off in Donabate and wait another hour on your own then why would you have been happy to get off at Rush and wait an hour on your own?

rather an hour on my own then pay 113 euro

rather an hour on my own then pay 113 euro

Sorry to be harsh but you should have thought of that in Donabate.

why do you suppose the RPU get on the train at Donabate? No brainer really

Sorry to be harsh but you should have thought of that in Donabate.

i agree but when i seen them get on i thought me approaching them and explaining to them they would understand my honesty ect

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You were already caught at that stage, bar that they were undercover ticket inspectors. Was either of them wearing a fake moustache?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

i agree but when i seen them get on i thought me approaching them and explaining to them they would understand my honesty ect
    Honest what? You honestly paid as far as Donabate and then, dishonestly stayed on the train. Inspectors board the train and you panic and approach them saying, I really meant to get off already ....right!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

As the TV licence ads say :

"We've heard all the excuses, and none of them work"

If you had a leap card, you would have got passed the check at Donabate, if they got you after Balbriggan (where leap finishes) you could have said you thought leap went all the way to Drogheda as thats where the Commuter Train terminates.

I'm afraid you're going to have to pay up on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

was forced to but surely i can contest did given the fact i had ticket and wasent even given the option to get out a stop after

How were you forced to? Did they twist your arm, could you not just give your neighbours name and address?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

Unfortunately, Irish Rail are legally right, OP, as it was yourself / family rather than them who changed the plan, as I read it.

Having said that, I think if you appeal as other posters have suggested, they might be lenient. To be fair to them, they do hear all sorts of fairy tales, and are right to come down uncompromisingly hard on these, but your case sounds genuine to me. I wish you luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,289 ✭✭✭✭Victor

coolock94 wrote: »
    I would have said I am unable to pay at the moment but will send the money via postal order, give a false name and address and leave it at that.
    Please do not give advice that could get people into more trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Give the fine to your relative who changed the plans after you paid for a ticket and got on the train?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

while the ticket inspectors were operating under the rules, they could've been nice and charged you for another ticket instead.

they couldn't. They can't sell tickets.

cgcsb wrote: »
    while the ticket inspectors were operating under the rules, they could've been nice and charged you for another ticket instead.

The amount of young fellas trying to avoid the fare on that route is unreal so im not suprised that the op was fined.
    Funny enough though that the majority of the fare dodgers on that route are going to Balbriggan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

irish rail are wasting their time with this policy of charging people 100 euro or more for avoiding tickets and so on, while a good system in theory it just isn't working and is creating bad will and losing the company customers, just throw people off the next stop instead, still its a small source of revenue so their not going to throw it away

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement