Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do when Mormons call?

Options
  • 06-05-2014 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭

I suppose this could apply not just to mormons but others too.

So I was sipping on a cherry coke of an evening (this evening) when the doorbell rang. I didn't know who it would be before I answered it but it was mormons. They seem to struggle to take "no" for an answer or to leave. I was a little underwhelmed at the strength of their arguments to be honest but the manner in which they kept trying to convert me was as admirable as it was pointless.

I'd rather not have them call again. Is there any strategy I could deploy which ye could recommend as maybe a discouragement to them to call again?

And maybe some future tips if the first line of defence (the front gate) is breached and conversation inevitable.

TY!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Answer the door naked whist in a state of sexual excitement.
    Works for me, except when the Green party call round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WarOnDrugs78

I tell them I'm not interested and close the door as fast as possible. I overcome the natural instinct to be polite, yet I'm not rude. Don't let them control the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

"No thank you".
    Close door.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just take their booklet thing and say "I'm not really interested but thanks anyway. Have a good day."

I don't understand why people slam doors in their faces etc. It doesn't take much effort to be polite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

They don't call to me anymore.....not after the last time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Don't answer, an unopened door is a happy door. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

We've never had Mormons but then we are out in the Oulou so ...

A Jehovah's witness woman comes round most years, she usually just buys a dozen eggs from us ;)

Another strategy would be to try to convert them to atheism. But you'd need to be in a good mood to do that. I schooled three Mormon women in Limerick City last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Treat them like beggars, chuggers, politicians, etc. Give them a firm but polite no thanks and close the door, if you let them start their "sales pitch" you're ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I try and convert them to satanism.

\m/ Hail Satan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

Get some literature on another religion. When they call try and convert them to the religion of your choice. Tell them you will try theirs out if they try yours out first.

Works a treat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Do they actually get new recruits that way?must be soul (and sole)destroying.
    Surely there must be better more efficient methods of converting the heathen?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

except when the Green party call round.

i.e Eamonn Ryan? ;)

kneemos wrote: »

They are doing it to convince themselves of the "truth" of their religion, as much as they are to convince you. It's how cults work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

We had them at the door once when I was a kid. When my mother realised who they were, she roared at them "this is a catholic house. Now fcuk off!"

They never came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

i.e Eamonn Ryan? ;)

A man even more convinced that he's right than the Mormons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Imagine atheists did this... there would be up roar.

"Hello sir! would you like to talk to me about not jesus?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

pablo128 wrote: »
    We had them at the door once when I was a kid. When my mother realised who they were, she roared at them "this is a catholic house. Now fcuk off!"

They never came back.

Ha ha you have just reminded me of the time they came to the house years ago.

Dad catholic
    Mom protestant
    Me atheist

Mormon knocks on the door, dad takes one look and says "there's enough ****ing religions in this house without you adding to it"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

kneemos wrote: »

with a religion as batsh1t mental (even as far as most religions go) as Mormonism you gotta reach out to everyone. Sure who wouldnt want to be part of a religion where there's magic underpants involved?

krudler wrote: »
    with a religion as batsh1t mental (even as far as most religions go) as Mormonism you gotta reach out to everyone. Sure who wouldnt want to be part of a religion where there's magic underpants involved?

Mormonism is the fastest growing religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

I get them to mow the lawns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

I was sitting in my room one day when they were either Mormons or hare krisnas called to the door and my father answered it I could hear the conversation clearly,they were showing him a picture of paradise and waffling away when he asks them "have you ever been there?" Eh well no they said,come back to me when you have he tells them and closes the door in their face.sometimes ya can't beat common sense

krudler wrote: »

You're right, they play a numbers game. Talk to 100 people and you will get one or two people in the midst of a personal crisis who will buy the cult bull.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Years ago my friend always loved lying on the couch watching the football scores coming in and he lived next door to me. I have the Jehovahs call into to me to bring the light of Jesus into my life. I told them no thanks but my friend was lost in a life of debauchery and gambling and could they help him.

He couldn't get rid of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Mormonism is the fastest growing religion.

No it isn't. Not in Ireland or Europe anyway. Maybe if you're talking percentages, but that's not exactly accurate is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I invite them in for the evening. Lonely socially awkward weirdos can't be choosers!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'm just glad they are not a Labour canvaser - if only for my blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I wonder what would happen if you hit them with "I actually am a Mormon!" ..... Or if you just hit them??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I say no thanks and they go away. They are harmless. Its the charity collectors wanting to sign you up to a direct debit who are hard to get rid of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

I tell them 'you're OK, I'm Jewish' I'm not but they seem to be geared up to doing Christians, works for me.

Advertisement