Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I wondered are the PSNI officers armed?

In the scene where the solicitor calls them when she found her lingerie on the bed, they arrived into the house with guns drawn.

Are the regular police on the street in NI armed?

Yup. I was in Belfast a while ago, and had to ask directions. The friendly chap directing traffic had a blood great revolver strapped on his hip. It was...weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

All armed there. It's mildly unnerving when the guy in front in the queue at Tesco is carrying a gun to go with his wrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I'm ashamed to say I didn't know that.

Odd as police in UK aren't armed, but I suppose with NI background it makes sense.

Thanks all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

They'd have to be armed in Belfast FFS. :) I ceratinly wouldn't do the job without a piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm ashamed to say I didn't know that.

Odd as police in UK aren't armed, but I suppose with NI background it makes sense.

Thanks all :)

They are routinely armed in the UK, they are NOT armed in Britain! ;)

I caught up with this earlier and not bad, the only thing that bugged me was how sloppy the cops were at the house the first time, not at all professional. If you are told of a possible break in you instruct the inhabitant not to touch things like draw handles.

I liked the portrayal of the killer and the "Dario Argento" overhead camerawork sequence (like Tenebre but on the inside). Oh Gillian Andersons accent was curious, it really doesn't sound rooted in any location. Too neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Only got around to watching this last night, and really enjoyed it actually!

Looking forward to more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

mike65 wrote: »
    They are routinely armed in the UK, they are NOT armed in Britain! ;)

I caught up with this earlier and not bad, the only thing that bugged me was how sloppy the cops were at the house the first time, not at all professional. If you are told of a possible break in you instruct the inhabitant not to touch things like draw handles.

I liked the portrayal of the killer and the "Dario Argento" overhead camerawork sequence (like Tenebre but on the inside). Oh Gillian Andersons accent was curious, it really doesn't sound rooted in any location. Too neutral.

According to wiki, she spent half her childhood in GB and half in the states. Apparently she does interviews in the UK with an English accent and in the US with an American accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mike65 wrote:
    Oh Gillian Andersons accent was curious, it really doesn't sound rooted in any location. Too neutral.

I wonder what you would say about my accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh I know about Andersons bi-location upbringing and I've heard her "real" adopted English accent (if you see what I mean) and that wasn't it last night.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

mike65 wrote: »
    Oh I know about Andersons bi-location upbringing and I've heard her "real" adopted English accent (if you see what I mean) and that wasn't it last night.

It sounds like an American doing a stereotypical "British" accent. Like when they seem to have no concept of the fact that there's more than one country in Britain, never mind all the different regional variations within them. Which is surprising considering she should know better.

• Advertisement

IMHO, her "real" British accent is fine, but yeah, this sounds a bit... theatre-y. Like a slightly milder Ms. Haversham...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Anderson has spent most of her personal and creative life, post X Files, in the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

She's doing a IAMA on Reddit 2morro at 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭dubmick

is the actual link available?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

dubmick wrote: »
    Usually not until the AMA starts, Anderson has to create a thread at the alotted time. Otherwise it gets filled with hundreds of questions before she gets there and it's unworkable.

dubmick wrote: »
    No, not till she starts. I'll link direct tomorrow if no one else does.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Usually not until the AMA starts, Anderson has to create a thread at the alotted time. Otherwise it gets filled with hundreds of questions before she gets there and it's unworkable.
    posted at the exact same time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭brian_t

Thats 1pm in Eastern Daylight Time. (she calls it "10 AM PST" on her twitter)

Am I right in saying that this is equivalent to 6pm Irish time.

brian_t wrote: »
    Thats 1pm in Eastern Daylight Time. (she calls it "10 AM PST" on her twitter)

Am I right in saying that this is equivalent to 6pm Irish time.
    Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Just bumping this for tonights episode. (RTE1 @ 2130)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Just bumping this for tonights episode. (RTE1 @ 2130)
    Oh, thanks for that. Didn't know rte had it on tonight. I just watched an episode of The X Files so it should be an interesting transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Oh, thanks for that. Didn't know rte had it on tonight. I just watched an episode of The X Files so it should be an interesting transition.

It turned out Eugene Tooms is the real killer, beardy mcbeardface is just a patsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Is there any relevance to seeing shooter guy being interbiewed other than to see the stud in action ?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

Lisha wrote: »
    Is there any relevance to seeing shooter guy being interbiewed other than to see the stud in action ?

Was just wondering that myself and thinking is there any relevance to last week's episode

Pick up the poor baby

The young PSNI woman is a great actress, but I think she's overselling this a little.

I never realized how rotten a job answering the emergency calls can be

A lot of hollyoaks heads ! :)

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    I never realized how rotten a job answering the emergency calls can be

Was just thinking that. I know they can't all be that bad, but... every time you sign off on one emergency, you're on to the next one.

Advertisement