Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to kick out the Israeli Ambassador?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Stekelly wrote: »
    So why the "kill all the infidels " crap about the rest of us? I dont remember every cristian country getting together and forcing them from anywhere.

Well you could go as far back as The Crusades......................or we could only go as far back as the 20's and get into how Israel was actually formed but that's just full of too many technicalities and it's late and it's AH :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

What would be funny was if Brian Cowen came out and declared that Ireland no longer recognises Israel as a state and that it should be wiped off the map - akin to the Iranian Presidents speech while back - now that would make a few headlines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Holsten wrote: »
    There shouldn't even be an Israeli embassy here in the first place.

Nice racist remark - Why shouldn't Israel have an Embassy in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Mark200 wrote: »
    So much for being neutral

It's not about neutrality, we're neutral in the NATO sense and WWII sense. That doesn't preclude us from taking a stance on human rights issues.

Nice racist remark - Why shouldn't Israel have an Embassy in Ireland?

How is the remark racist? Please explain. Disagree with it, fine, but to call it racist is wrong. It devalues the claim when used accurately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Mont wrote: »
    What would be funny was if Brian Cowen came out and declared that Ireland no longer recognises Israel as a state and that it should be wiped off the map - akin to the Iranian Presidents speech while back - now that would make a few headlines

True as he'd seriously be over-stepping his power as taoiseach and we could finally be rid of him.

I just dont think your reference to the west bank is any more valid than a reference to 1948. The entire conflict resolve around the existence of the state of Israel. The current offensive was started as result of constant rocket attacks from gaza. Hamas would say that it started when Israel attacked a smuggling tunnel and killed some terrorists smuggling rockets.

Reports from The Guardian and CNN say Israel broke the ceasefire. The conflict did not begin last Novermber either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Israel as a state and that it should be wiped off the map - akin to the Iranian Presidents speech while back - now that would make a few headlines
    Unfortunately that is what Israel is up against. We will all be up against same in some form at some time in the future. At that time the bleeding hearts who constantly crap on about Palestine will have an opportunity to feel the heat from those they supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It's not about neutrality, we're neutral in the NATO sense and WWII sense. That doesn't preclude us from taking a stance on human rights issues.

Are you saying Israel are committing war crimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

OK, we should then call for Hamas to cease all rocket attacks on Israel, disarm, leave government and surrender themselves to The Hague. Israel is acting in self defence. Just because you like rooting for the little guy doesn't make them infallible. I mean, at what point did a group of terrorists that seized power under questionable circumstances, who attacked a sovereign nation after a 6 month cease fire, and continued these attacks after warnings about what would happen if they did not stop become the good guys?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

obl wrote: »
    But if Hamas didn't use the regular people of Palestine as human shields for their terrorist agenda, there wouldn't be this problem.

Now you definitely watch Sky News - this is the Israelis excuse for killing more Palestinians - i mean a third of all killed over the past 2 weeks has been Palestinian children (nearly 300) - all journalists have been banned from the Gaza Strip so that only innocent Israel knows the true extent of the war crimes they are committing

They are doing to the Palestine people what happened to them during the World War.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Micheal Martin has made a couple of comments recently calling for a cessation of Israel's attacks on Gaza but obviously it meant little. What can we do to try and stop things - the following possiblities exist.

1. Declare war on Israel in favour of Hamas - clearly ridiculous.
    2. Let Micheal Martin continue his occasional comments - not working.
    3. Ban all trade with Israel until attacks stopped - a next step after the Ambassador is asked to leave.
    4. Kick out the Ambassador.
    5. Do nothing - option favoured by a number of posters here.

A poll in AH methinks?

Which do you think will work seeing as Michaels pleading hasn't?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Reports from The Guardian and CNN say Israel broke the ceasefire. The conflict did not begin last Novermber either.
    A ceasefire where Hamas built up smuggled rockets was not a ceasefire.

Originally Posted by obl View Post
    But if Hamas didn't use the regular people of Palestine as human shields for their terrorist agenda, there wouldn't be this problem.

From what I understand of the situation in Gaza and its high population density it is difficult for the civilian population not to be in close proximity to Hamas positions. Anyway it does not allow Israel to off the hook for behaving like terrorists themselves. From a purely pragmatic view does it not occur to them that the longer this 'war' goes on the more recruits Hamas will gain. Imagine if the British Govt. had adopted the same policy in ireland during the recent troubles - they clearly learnt something from the Black & Tan debacle!

Seanies32 wrote: »
    I agree in a way, still, it seems the obliteration of the Israeli state is the only thing that will keep Hamas happy.

This is incorrect. Hamas has offered Israel a 10-year ceasefire and de facto recognition, with a view to making the peace permanent. Google it.

People who actually know something on the subject, journalists, academics (not the right-wing economics professors who take to the air ways to prevent debate kind) and so on say Hamas recognise the two-state solution principle. As does Jimmy Carter, who blames Israel for a lack of negotiation on the subject.

Stop bleating on about things you clearly no nothing about, you and the other 100 people rehashing soundbites that mean absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If we kick him out what of our so-called neutrality?
    Its nothing got to do with being neutral or not. Its about solidarity with those people in Gaza who are going through untold suffering right now.

How is the remark racist? Please explain. Disagree with it, fine, but to call it racist is wrong. It devalues the claim when used accurately.

OK it was a stupid remark rather than racist - I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

all journalists have been banned from the Gaza Strip so that only innocent Israel knows the true extent of the war crimes they are committing

and you of course.

They are doing to the Palestine people what happened to them during the World War.
    There it is! First comparison to the Haulocaust. Now. NI Catholics. Any takers?

A ceasefire where Hamas built up smuggled rockets was not a ceasefire.

Again, the mainstream media reported Hamas jailed those who launched rockets and reduced rocket attacks by over 90%. Hamas are not the only militant group in Gaza. They made credible attempts to end rocket fire. Israel gave them back nothing, carried out assassinations which ended the ceasefire. Again, the CNN and The Guardian report this as fact.

There is a debate on the politics board, 155 Palestinians = 1 Israel. It covers all this. For anybody interested in facts not rhetoric it's a good read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

all this over a f**kin footballer that wasnt even that good :pac:

It's called the Holocaust. It's the opinion of some Israeli military people and many academics and right-wing politicians in Israel, that yes, Israel carries out some tactics which also occured during WWII against Jews.

OK it was a stupid remark rather than racist - I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

I didn't make the original remark, it's only back 1 page.

How is it stupid? You or I might not agree with it but's a perfectly legitimate position to take on it.

Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by obl View Post

From what I understand of the situation in Gaza and its high population density it is difficult for the civilian population not to be in close proximity to Hamas positions. Anyway it does not allow Israel to off the hook for behaving like terrorists themselves. From a purely pragmatic view does it not occur to them that the longer this 'war' goes on the more recruits Hamas will gain. Imagine if the British Govt. had adopted the same policy in ireland during the recent troubles - they clearly learnt something from the Black & Tan debacle!

Fair point, though we did use it to an extent.
    This is incorrect. Hamas has offered Israel a 10-year ceasefire and de facto recognition, with a view to making the peace permanent. Google it.

People who actually know something on the subject, journalists, academics (not the right-wing economics professors who take to the air ways to prevent debate kind) and so on say Hamas recognise the two-state solution principle. As does Jimmy Carter, who blames Israel for a lack of negotiation on the subject.

Stop bleating on about things you clearly no nothing about, you and the other 100 people rehashing soundbites that mean absolutely nothing.

Grand, my mind is open as I don't blame one side over another. Links please. educate me!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Has Ireland ever actually thrown out any ambassador.

obl wrote: »
    OK, we should then call for Hamas to cease all rocket attacks on Israel, disarm, leave government and surrender themselves to The Hague. Israel is acting in self defence. Just because you like rooting for the little guy doesn't make them infallible. I mean, at what point did a group of terrorists that seized power under questionable circumstances, who attacked a sovereign nation after a 6 month cease fire, and continued these attacks after warnings about what would happen if they did not stop become the good guys?

Why should they leave government? They were elected democratically, Jimmy Carter says the elections were perfectly fair. Do you follow the news or just tune it out when it comes on?

Get some facts right before putting your opinion out there.

Israel broke the ceasefire, not Hamas. This is a fact.

LOL, I made the point, but in a different way. What was considered Govt. opinion in 1968 and even the 70's has moved on.

The Cruiser had SOME use!

Seanies32 wrote: »

There is a thread on politics. Read it and become enlightened.

Wow did you go to debating class?

He just prattles on here, he avoided the intelligent debate in politics because he'd be corrected and chooses to spread lies here instead.

• Advertisement

There is a thread on politics. Read it and become enlightened.

i HAD READ IT. Too one sided on both sides for me!

Similar to the Republican Unionist, Pro and Anti Lisbon threads over there.

Advertisement