Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread - Page 82 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Yesterday, 00:58   #1216
Syferus

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofwisdom View Post
Very debatable are you old to see those Clann na nGael sides play?

For the record they won eight in a row county titles and 16 in two decades. 6 in a row Connacht titles and reached four All Ireland finals in a row.
The game has changed immeasurably since even the late 90s. The best club teams now are far more professional than they were coming up on now 30 years ago. The same applies at county level.

Clann were the great losers, Brigids are the great winners. Winning one will always count more than any number of losses.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
Yesterday, 01:36   #1217
manofwisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syferus View Post
The game has changed immeasurably since even the late 90s. The best club teams now are far more professional than they were coming up on now 30 years ago. The same applies at county level.

Clann were the great losers, Brigids are the great winners. Winning one will always count more than any number of losses.
Ya i have read that opinion a few times on modern football and it comes mostly from those that just started watching football the last 10 or 15 years.

If thats your true view especially the bit in bold then its probably best you keep it to yourself.
Yesterday, 07:55   #1218
nice_guy80

Brigids altered their style of football and approach to games after the first All Ireland loss. It is what got them over the line the second time
It also helps that they are probably the best run club in the county in terms of finance, facilities, organisation etc
Yesterday, 09:36   #1219
Always_Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice_guy80 View Post
Brigids altered their style of football and approach to games after the first All Ireland loss. It is what got them over the line the second time
It also helps that they are probably the best run club in the county in terms of finance, facilities, organisation etc
Altered their style after that defeat to near neighbours Garrycastle I'd say. McHale,McHugh arrived then but like Mayo have found out you need extra bit of luck to get over the line something that Clann probably didn't have. A ridiculous comment above to call Clann great losers when they still hold the record for the amount of Roscommon,Connacht titles won.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 17:12   #1220
megadodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofwisdom View Post
Ya i have read that opinion a few times on modern football and it comes mostly from those that just started watching football the last 10 or 15 years.

If thats your true view especially the bit in bold then its probably best you keep it to yourself.
And I have read the opposite from those who have forgotten what football was like before 10 or 15 years ago. Next thing TG4 All-Ireland Gold comes on and there's not a peep from them.

Sentiment has a very strange effect on the memory.
Advertisement
Yesterday, 17:23   #1221
megadodge

For what it's worth, one win is worth more than any amount of losses. Ask any Mayo person.

Brigids were able to cross the line and Clann weren't. Of course, that doesn't make Clann "losers", which is a very harsh assessment, but it's all about winning and on the big day Clann consistently came up short.

It really was an awful shame that they didn't nail at least one, as some of their semi-final wins were outstanding against-the-odds displays, but when they couldn't beat a side as relatively inexperienced as Baltinglass (Tony Mac was marked by a 19 year old that day) and Brigids have Nemo and Crossmaglen on their list of vanquished opponents, I know who I think is the better team. With no disrespect intended.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion