Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Smithy1234

Hi,

Moving into Dublin soon and looking around for any deals that people are getting.

What are the best offers flying around at the moment? Can see Vodafone and Eir offering at €30, anyone been able to get Sky or Virgin near that?

Also has anyone had any luck getting an offer on the phone like no set up fee or reduced price by negotiating ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Moving out to Beechpark, Easton Road, Leixlip shortly and looking at the fastest Broadband available.
    Anyone any ideas? From my initial quick look, it seems that Virgin Media are fastest with 1GB, while everyone else seem much lower. (Eir seem to only do 100MB).
    It does seem that the estate was built with UPC putting in the infrastructure, who are now Virgin Media.

Anyone any experience or insight, please?

Thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is1ldur wrote: »
    Moving out to Beechpark, Easton Road, Leixlip shortly and looking at the fastest Broadband available.
    Anyone any ideas? From my initial quick look, it seems that Virgin Media are fastest with 1GB, while everyone else seem much lower. (Eir seem to only do 100MB).
    It does seem that the estate was built with UPC putting in the infrastructure, who are now Virgin Media.

Anyone any experience or insight, please?

Thank you!!

I have 150 Mbps FTTH and find that only a small handful of sites people commonly use could even approach being able to push data at that rate, Steam, Usenet provider, maybe Apple, etc. Most sites can't manage 150 Mbps. I don't want or need 1000 Mbps.

If you see 100 Mbps, that isn't fibre, it's fibre to the cabinet - that being the top speed possible if you happen to have the cabinet outside your front door, so you are very unlikely to get such a speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

My contract with Eir is up next month (thank god). It looks like VF offer the best value but there CS seem to be on par with EIR so that is worrying.

I see there is SIRO in my area, is there anything extra i need to install or is this part of the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

My contract with Eir is up next month (thank god). It looks like VF offer the best value but there CS seem to be on par with EIR so that is worrying.

I see there is SIRO in my area, is there anything extra i need to install or is this part of the process?

Firstly if SIRO is in your area enter your eircode on http://www.siro.ie to confirm. If it is then the contractor for SIRO arranges the installation with you after you place your order.

With SIRO depending on where you live there are other ISP's other that VF offering the service (Digiweb, Airwire, Sky, Pure, etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

cunnijo wrote: »
    Firstly if SIRO is in your area enter your eircode on http://www.siro.ie to confirm. If it is then the contractor for SIRO arranges the installation with you after you place your order.

With SIRO depending on where you live there are other ISP's other that VF offering the service (Digiweb, Airwire, Sky, Pure, etc).

Thanks for that Cunnijo.

I did check and it is in my area and i see pure telecom is only 35pm but i have not heard much about them.

Anyone have had any experience with PT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

In the same boat. Potentially moving house in the next few weeks, so I've been researching SIRO providers. Pure Telecom are the cheapest by far. €35 a month for 12 months and then €55 a month after 12 months.

Anybody in central Drogheda have any experience with them?

As Siro is FTTH, no matter what provider I go with, the speeds should be the same right?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

Theoretically speeds should be the same. However having been with Vodafone for a number of years I've recently moved to Digiweb and found the difference to be night and day.

With Vodafone I was using Huawei HG659 router and from my experience this router is poor. The 5Ghz band had terrible range and the 2.4 Ghz band was very weak also at moderate distances too. After numerous phone calls they would not upgrade me to their newer routers, so I bought a new router which increased Wifi coverage but the router would cut out randomly every couple of weeks so this was not ideal when two of us are working remotely.

Moved to digiweb and not had any issues since set up. Paying for same connection (1Gbps) but could only ever get a max of 300 Mbps wired with VF, now up to 930 Mbps and WiFi range issues are no more.

Just my own personal experience. Vodafone are great when they want to sell you something but otherwise they are very poor to deal with

sibersha wrote: »
    Theoretically speeds should be the same. However having been with Vodafone for a number of years I've recently moved to Digiweb and found the difference to be night and day.

With Vodafone I was using Huawei HG659 router and from my experience this router is poor. The 5Ghz band had terrible range and the 2.4 Ghz band was very weak also at moderate distances too. After numerous phone calls they would not upgrade me to their newer routers, so I bought a new router which increased Wifi coverage but the router would cut out randomly every couple of weeks so this was not ideal when two of us are working remotely.

Moved to digiweb and not had any issues since set up. Paying for same connection (1Gbps) but could only ever get a max of 300 Mbps wired with VF, now up to 930 Mbps and WiFi range issues are no more.

Just my own personal experience. Vodafone are great when they want to sell you something but otherwise they are very poor to deal with

Yes, I did forget about the differences in routers actually. thanks for that point!

Good to know about Digiweb, they're available in Drogheda, so I'll look into them a little further.

I find this to be true with any provider really haha

I had a small issue when setting up router (had to use LAN1 port instead of DSL port)

Rang through to Digiweb, connected to Irish call centre straight away and issues sorted in minutes. Always had to hold for Vodafone who have an overseas call centre and I found agents to be very hit and miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Funky_Corsa

Who is the best SIRO provider? Vodafone, Sky, Digiweb and Pure are offering Gigabit through SIRO in my area. I only want broadband; I've no interest in TV or phone.

We are working from home and my current 20mb upload with Eir can cause trouble on occasion. Have a separate access point so not too worried about the Wi-Fi capabilities of the modem. Reliability and consistency are the top factors.

Anyone know the average install time for different providers?

Was told 7-10 days by one, and 6 weeks if something is wrong, is that the same with all of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Who is the best SIRO provider? Vodafone, Sky, Digiweb and Pure are offering Gigabit through SIRO in my area. I only want broadband; I've no interest in TV or phone.

We are working from home and my current 20mb upload with Eir can cause trouble on occasion. Have a separate access point so not too worried about the Wi-Fi capabilities of the modem. Reliability and consistency are the top factors.

Same here, currently with Sky for my broadband and since September the speed has been awful and just keeps getting worse. It has got to the point now that we can't watch any streaming and playing online games is a disaster. It is easier to get in contact with my father who died a few years ago than it is to get in contact with their support. So time for change.

Looking at the offers there are 2 that stand out Pure telecom €40 for 1GB via Siro for 12 months and €55 there after and the other is Digi web 1GB via Siro but 24.95 for the first 4 months and then 55 after that. Sky are just ridiculous with the €85 per month for 500mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Was with Sky, great service then they just cut me off. Apparently similar addresses nearby and someone ordered a connection using my UAN? Complained, asked to be reconnected but they couldn't because I was now being connected to a new provider, due to GDPR no-one could tell who or why? Got onto Comreg lodged complaint, no response.
    Eventually got connected to Vodafone, after 4 attempts they eventually connected me for 2 weeks, maximum speeds upload 1 megs, download 7 megs, service is shocking and then suddenly last weekend got cut off again.
    Speeds have simply dropped significantly locally but I can't even get connected. If there are any technical gurus out there that may be able to provide some advice, greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Right. Think it's finally time to bite the bullet and get broadband. Never had it here (had Eircom originally for house phone) and fed up of my crappy tesco mobile coverage. Have sky TV only and my phone which is driving me nuts now. Has been for a while, but lately its gone ridiculous. When I checked on airwire, it says the only options available are vsdl. Does that mean I'm limited with options? I was thinking of getting sky taken out and going for a bundle, but what's the point if I'm limited? House is only 10 years old and in the city.

As you can tell I haven't a clue about tech stuff at all so really grateful if anyone can advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

Looking for a no contract broadband provider, any reccommendations? I'm in Corbally in Limerick. I'm unable to get a Virgin line for my house so someone other than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Looking for a no contract broadband provider, any reccommendations? I'm in Corbally in Limerick. I'm unable to get a Virgin line for my house so someone other than them.

Airwire do 6 month contracts, I am not aware of contract free wired broadband. 48.ie have 4G, 100 GB per month for €8 and allow tethering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Only got fibre 18 months ago after 7 years of living on Eir's 5mb (really 2mb) crud. I'm in Donegal on the rural FTTH gig.

Went with Pure Telecom, 6 months at €35 for 150mb and then 12 months at €55.

Well that's now expiring and I'm in the market. What's hot and what's not these days? Need to keep at least the same, 150mb and home phone with free calls to the 32 counties.

Wouldnt mind increasing my speed if possible, although it's not the end of the world to stay at 150mb as that's still nearly 100 times better than I used to get pre-fibre!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

cnocbui wrote: »
    Airwire do 6 month contracts, I am not aware of contract free wired broadband. 48.ie have 4G, 100 GB per month for €8 and allow tethering.

Thanks looks like with the 6 month contract there a €99 installation fee and an additional €95 for the router.

100GB wouldn't be enough unfortunately.

I see that Three have a 750GB 4G broadband plan for €30 a month, rolling contract, but not sure if the 4G would be enough for streaming and gaming?

How long should an upgrade take, increasing speed with the same provider.

I had 150mb FTTH with Pure Telecom and just increased to 500mb. Made the call on Friday morning and was told that it would come through in a few days.

Monday night now and not a sausage.

Thwre is no new install or change of modem, so why is it not just a flick of a switch and I'm done?

Called them tonight but it was peak time and they were jammed. The guy was sound though, tried for ages to get through to broadband support but they were queued up so he offered to make enquiries and call back tomorrow to update me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Hi

I'm in Kilmacud. Met a KN guy, said openeir fibre being rolled out within next 6 months. Also said virgin was being upgraded in the area to allow for 1Gb.

Anyone know if this is accurate?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    How long should an upgrade take, increasing speed with the same provider.

I had 150mb FTTH with Pure Telecom and just increased to 500mb. Made the call on Friday morning and was told that it would come through in a few days.

Monday night now and not a sausage.

Thwre is no new install or change of modem, so why is it not just a flick of a switch and I'm done?

Called them tonight but it was peak time and they were jammed. The guy was sound though, tried for ages to get through to broadband support but they were queued up so he offered to make enquiries and call back tomorrow to update me.

Well after 4 days of being told that the upgrade was processed and the speed would boost soon, they finally admitted tonight that they hadn't even processed it.

Useless beggars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I went with Digiweb for siro broadband, can't believe that it will be installed next week. Only waiting a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

Currently with Eir FTTH on a 300Mbps profile. Contract is up in January so looking at my options now. I was hoping to go to the 1Gbps or possibly 500Mbps. I would have stayed with Eir as it has worked perfectly since install but the price increase is substantial and they won't offer me the 'new' customer rate.

I was on to Vodafone today and after giving them my details they said they would have to charge an install fee as while my house is showing as served it is not showing as connected. I tried explaining that it is definitely connected but computer said no. Anyone know why it would be showing like this to other providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Badger2009 wrote: »
    Currently with Eir FTTH on a 300Mbps profile. Contract is up in January so looking at my options now. I was hoping to go to the 1Gbps or possibly 500Mbps. I would have stayed with Eir as it has worked perfectly since install but the price increase is substantial and they won't offer me the 'new' customer rate.

I was on to Vodafone today and after giving them my details they said they would have to charge an install fee as while my house is showing as served it is not showing as connected. I tried explaining that it is definitely connected but computer said no. Anyone know why it would be showing like this to other providers?

Vodafone do not offer services on the FTTH platform you are on, as they are in partnership with the ESB (SIRO).

As for getting 500mbps or 1gb there are other ISP's that will offer the service to you using your existing FTTH connection. The only item that changes is the modem. Companies include Digiweb, Airwire, Pure and possibly more depending on where you live. Have a look at the likes of Bonkers.ie and enter your eircode and see what comes up or visit the respective ISP websites to see that they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

cunnijo wrote: »
    Vodafone do not offer services on the FTTH platform you are on, as they are in partnership with the ESB (SIRO). .

Vodafone do FTTH on SIRO & EIR infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Sky are offering TV 500mb broadband and free sports or cinema for 55 a month for 12 months.
    This seems like a good deal to me and am currently with eir.
    Any reason not to go fir this deal is their bb reliable enough?

Sky are offering TV 500mb broadband and free sports or cinema for 55 a month for 12 months.
    This seems like a good deal to me and am currently with eir.
    Any reason not to go fir this deal is their bb reliable enough?

It is a good deal. Check https://siro.ie/search-your-address/ to see if you can get Siro, if you can it will be an improvement standard broadband. And if you can't get Siro - it is still a good deal with standard braodband as you won't be any worse off than going with other providers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 f1reeko

I've moved back to Kerry from London. Do any websites show actual recorded speeds of different providers in areas? Presume more applicable in somewhere like London but it was useful to see what speeds you'd actually get. Trying to decide between Sky and Eir which are both available at my Eircode. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Depends what part of Kerry you are & what's available in the area. Eir don't have the best of reputations so I would be inclined to go with Sky.
    I live in South Kerry & I'm with Vodafone. Haven't had any problems with them.

Advertisement