Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

But as said many times FWA can be a good stopgap, nobody is asking for it as an alternative, fibre need to be the end goal to every building but this will take years. All these FWA providers need is access to the fibre and a better allocation of frequencies. There are lots of FWA providers have already made investments into WiMax systems but are being held back by the lack of fibre and by Comreg as I already explained.

This is Ireland, it won't be a stop gap. It will be left like that as it suits all concerned except the consumer.

It's fibre from the start or nothing. No stop gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

This is Ireland, it won't be a stop gap. It will be left like that as it suits all concerned except the consumer.

Exactly, if there are some teething problems of wisps closing down it will increase political pressure by constituents and Speed up the overall project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It's fibre from the start or nothing. No stop gaps.

I agree, provide fibre, but at the same time loosen the restrictions holding back the WISPs and let the market provide the stopgap. The WISPs can then work towards morphing info fibre providers to keep their customers. Ignoring them and the wiping them out is not the answer.

I predict disappointment, this is Ireland, the same public servants are dealing with this as dealt with the last broadband scheme......

I predict disappointment, this is Ireland, the same public servants are dealing with this as dealt with the last broadband scheme......

Not enough people making noise about it makes me worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

bk wrote: »
    Frankly this idea of the wisps suing the government over the NBP is ridiculous. It is like candle makers suing the government over the electrification of rural Ireland.

Frankly it is completely indefensible.

Did you miss my post?:eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Did you miss my post?:eek:

I did and frankly it doesn't make sense.

The 3.5/3.6Ghz simply doesn't have enough spectrum to deliver truly high speed broadband and who in their right mind would buy 30Mb/s from a WISP when they could buy up to 1Gb/s FTTH?

As for access to the NBP, well as we have seen with both Eircoms FTTH and SIRO FTTH, they are both allowing other companies to have wholesale access and to resell it. Nothing stopping the WISPS from doing the same.

The reality is if the NBP is FTTH, then it will absolutely kill the WISPs. Even if the WISPS are allowed to backhaul on the Fiber, who would buy a service from a WISP when they could get much faster and better FTTH service?

As for the WISPS becoming resellers of FTTH, they would stand little chance against the much bigger companies like Vodafone, Sky, Eircom, etc. and they know it.

No, I'm sorry, reading between the lines, it is very clear to me what John McDonnell and the other WISPS want. They don't want the NBP to be FTTH. They instead want fiber to be brought to the towns and villages, which they can then use as backhaul for last mile wireless. They absolutely DO NOT want this fiber going directly to peoples homes and thus bypassing them.

The Journalists got it absolutely correct in what the WISPS are trying to do and Comreg and the DCENR are absolutely correct to ignore them and to tell them to feck off.

FTTH for every person in Ireland has always been the dream. We now have a once in a life time opportunity to do it right. We have just one chance here to for once do the right thing and truly eliminate the urban/rural divide.

FTTH for every person in Ireland has always been the dream. We now have a once in a life time opportunity to do it right. We have just one chance here to for once do the right thing and truly eliminate the urban/rural divide.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I just wanted to clear up the false reports of WISPs suing the DCENR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I did and frankly it doesn't make sense.

The 3.5/3.6Ghz simply doesn't have enough spectrum to deliver truly high speed broadband and who in their right mind would buy 30Mb/s from a WISP when they could buy up to 1Gb/s FTTH?

Five customers per mast to give real 30Mbps. If that. Can only be done if massively subsidised as part of a USO for Fibre. Roof top mesh dishes, Line of sight. Some people (very few) will need it. For as few as 10 houses in nowhere, the fibre is cheaper.

Hope the Universal service obligation gets updated to make sure everyone has broadband proper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

watty wrote: »
    Five customers per mast to give real 30Mbps. If that. Can only be done if massively subsidised as part of a USO for Fibre. Roof top mesh dishes, Line of sight. Some people (very few) will need it. For as few as 10 houses in nowhere, the fibre is cheaper.[/QUOTE) That main problem with fixed wireless is line of sight I don't think it would work with everyone.I think if ESB and Vodafone won it they could give most of rural Ireland FTTH with the hard reach areas fixed wireless with fibre as the backbone.I think most of the people on the boards hope they win and Eircom second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'd like to know what spectrum could be used beyond 3.6 GHz in Ireland, realistically, for fixed wireless access. Let's rule out the ISM and 5 GHz unlicenced bands. They'll be able to do feck all with just 3.6, as watty illustrated there.

Site serv (controversial AF) got the Siro instalation contract

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Site serv (controversial AF) got the Siro instalation contract
    what that mean?

rob808 wrote:
    what that mean?

Denis O Brien is going to come to your house and give you Internet (Google: siteserv and ibrc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

More than 1 company has won the installation contract btw.

melonstar wrote:

I just seen it by chance I was reading the paper and siteserv director said they had the Siro contract

melonstar wrote: »
    And who are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I just seen it by chance I was reading the paper and siteserv director said they had the Siro contract
    IT, May 22.
    Siteserv has also just won a contract for the first phase of the fibre roll-out of Siro, the telecoms joint venture between ESB and Vodafone.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/companies/siteserv-wants-d%C3%A1il-record-amended-on-murphy-speech-1.2221517

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

KOR101 wrote: »
    IT, May 22.
    Siteserv has also just won a contract for the first phase of the fibre roll-out of Siro, the telecoms joint venture between ESB and Vodafone.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/companies/siteserv-wants-d%C3%A1il-record-amended-on-murphy-speech-1.2221517

Makes my sh1t curdle, Lungs stop, Blood Boil ...........

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Who cares who does the installation once it is done, I was thinking maybe someone like KNN Networks would get the job since their already major contractors to Eircom. I dont care if Denis O'Brien (or any other Businessman) stands to gain financially once the Govt gets the FTTH Siro and get the NBP underway, we need fibre badly, this is akin to rural electrification. I'm happy to wait a few years if I knew FTTH was coming, because private enterprise will never serve rural areas.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/over-300000-rural-homes-to-benefit-From-fibre-Broadband-31277270.html so there 3000,000 homes getting FTTH yes people FTTH sadly I'm not one of them :(.That means the NBP 460,000 now let hope our government doesn't screw the rest of us still hoping on ESB and Vodafone do something like this haha.It great new for people getting this they deserve this wait so long for good broadband now i just have to wait for god knows how long.ps if anyone could list the county with the town that be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Wow. That's a serious escalation.

murphaph wrote: »
    Wow. That's a serious escalation.
    yea I know check the government Map and some of these area doesn't not even come up on it which is strange.It is strange Eircom doing this fair play to them but let hope this doesn't screw up NBP for the rest of us knowing our government.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

rob808 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/over-300000-rural-homes-to-benefit-From-fibre-Broadband-31277270.html so there 3000,000 homes getting FTTH yes people FTTH sadly I'm not one of them :(.That means the NBP 460,000 now let hope our government doesn't screw the rest of us still hoping on ESB and Vodafone do something like this haha.It great new for people getting this they deserve this wait so long for good broadband now i just have to wait for god knows how long.ps if anyone could list the county with the town that be great.
    This is truly staggering news. It means that eircom have moved the goalposts, maybe even taken them off the pitch with this announcement. The gloves are certainly off now.
    "This marks a significant extra investment by Eircom, to the order of over €300m," said Richard Moat, Eircom chief executive. "It will bring to €700m the total investment in our fibre broadband roll-out over the next five years and shows the willingness of investors to invest in our future products." We will have ribbon developments now serviced with FTTH and the additional investment by eircom is painting a very rosy fibre picture for the country as a whole. If they are prepared to bring fibre to Tamney up in Fanad in Donegal they will bring it anywhere in the country, more power to them. This is a whole new ball game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Is there a map of the updated areas they are planning on covering?

About 4km from local exchange that's due to be upgraded to fttc early next year.

Should I be getting excited?

• Advertisement

funnyname wrote: »
    Is there a map of the updated areas they are planning on covering?

About 4km from local exchange that's due to be upgraded to fttc early next year.

Should I be getting excited?
    There none at moment but say they will say more about it in time.We're are you is your town on list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mohankrishna

nice post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Shrinks the NBP area

Richard Moat - By making high speed broadband available to as many people as possible, today’s announcement also reduces the intervention footprint under the Government’s National Broadband Plan, thereby reducing the burden for the taxpayer at a time where there is enormous demands for Exchequer funding.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

I think this FTTH train has now left the station and is going to be hard to stop. Ireland will be a different place in 5 years

And it is set to save the taxpayer a few quid as well. Many of these places are really small. As the poster above states...if they'll run FTTH to these places then realistically they will run it to almost anywhere. I hope there is a commercial case for this and I hope Eircom are allowed to decommission their copper network and coerce people over to IP based technologies. Forcing Eircom to maintain the legacy copper network when there are viable fibre alternatives would be akin to forcing the ESB to maintain gas lighting.

Some transformation of company culture all the same and in such a short space of time. This however does have the smell of a bit of a land grab about it. Eircom is seemingly concerned that if they don't stake their claim to these places, that they'll fall under the NBP and they may not get any share of the revenue.

Wonder will we see Siro go on a similar land grab in these really rural spots ahead of the NBP. The network operators all know they can probably go head to head with 2 or 2 physical networks in the larger urban centres but realistically whoever gets fibre to somewhere like Achill Sound is likely to be the only infrastructure operator there for decades/ever.

• Advertisement

I can't see ESB and Vodafone doing the same but still think there best for NBP with there open access siro for rural Ireland ,but think Eircom would be also good let just hope wireless company don't get any of it because be left with rural divide again one with FTTH and other fixed wireless.

joe_99 wrote: »
    I think this FTTH train has now left the station and is going to be hard to stop. Ireland will be a different place in 5 years
    To be honest it's already a totally different place than the Ireland I left in 2009. The mother's village has better broadband than we have in central Berlin ffs.

I agree about the FTTH train. Gathering serious momentum now with this announcement. We're looking at 500k Siro + 300k Eircom rural + 66 Eircom FTTH towns currently being built out (with some overlap obviously) but that's going to be around 1 million premises out of the 2.7million in the state getting FTTH in the short to medium term and not counting the NBP at all, which will likely make use of large scale FTTH if this latest Eircom announcement is anything to go by. That is staggering stuff.

In a decade we could be looking at saturation levels of FTTH. It'll leave the likes of Germany in the dust.

It should also brings forward the finish date for the NBP.

I can't see ESB and Vodafone doing the same but still think there best for NBP with there open access siro for rural Ireland ,but think Eircom would be also good let just hope wireless company don't get any of it because be left with rural divide again one with FTTH and other fixed wireless.
    rob man, sho some optimism. Eircom (the legacy telco who couldn't even provide dial up to many urban areas a decade ago) are going to roll out FTTH as a commercial venture to places that aren't even on many maps. There is no bad news here. If these tiny places can get it, everyone can get it. Eircom must have learned a lot from Belcara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Amazing that ESB/Vodafone/Siro started all this FTTH talk, and now it's eircom that's driving the bus :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Eircom really wasted a lot of time and money on VDSL "eFibre" when they should have ploughed straight into FTTH. My local area in Kerry is not on this list and is getting eVDSL from the exchange but I live 2kms so won't benefit from it, the main fibre core doing the backhaul is outside my door however, I hope this might open the door to Eircom giving me a FTTH connection, I even laid underground ducting last year in the hope that FTTH would someday arrive while doing other home renovations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

IT seems to me the likely hood of being able to provide 30MB minimum will come from 4g. Getting 50MB down and 20MB up on my mobile in macroom, Ballincollig , model farm road areas.

I see your point but to be honest had Eircom not gone for VDSL for the urban areas, you would be waiting much longer for any hope of FTTH IMO. Why? Because had they opted for FTTH and no VDSL from the start, they'd still be busy blowing fibre in the urban areas for a long time yet.

The market has yet to decide if it was a poor decision financially for Eircom. I suspect it won't be as I think they'll be able to busy themselves with rural FTTH (either their own 300k premises and/or the NBP premises) for a few years, by which time they can revisit VDSL sites and upgrade to FTTH.

Bah! Not coming near me either ... :(

This is some move by Eircom though - could it be their counter to the Siro plan for the additional 300 towns?

I just think the NBP is forcing their hand. They either declare these areas as commercially viable and keep them out of the NBP (and do them themselves commercially) or they say nothing and these areas go into the NBP and Eircom may or may not get a penny from any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I just think the NBP is forcing their hand. They either declare these areas as commercially viable and keep them out of the NBP (and do them themselves commercially) or they say nothing and these areas go into the NBP and Eircom may or may not get a penny from any of them.

Thinking along those lines, perhaps this is an indication that Eircom don't think they will be able to beat SIRO for the NBP project, so instead they are trying to get as many of the low hanging fruit for them as they can out of the NBP area.

Thinking along those lines, perhaps this is an indication that Eircom don't think they will be able to beat SIRO for the NBP project, so instead they are trying to get as many of the low hanging fruit for them as they can out of the NBP area.
    We really need SIRO to win, for the sake of competition. It's only the SIRO threat that has spurred on Eircom like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

PeadarB wrote: »
    If they are prepared to bring fibre to Tamney up in Fanad in Donegal they will bring it anywhere in the country, more power to them. This is a whole new ball game.

But they won't bring fibre 4 miles further north to where I live :( Can't even get basic DSL from Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

On the other hand Eircom are making the NBP areas even less commercially viable by taking lightly populated areas/small villages out of the NBP, leaving only the very remote for NBP.

This will increase the cost of Siro providing fibre to those premises as they won't have the numbers of connections they might have been counting on when doing their estimates on ROI.

This seems to me to be a bold move by Eircom to reduce the attractiveness of NBP involvement by their competition.

It also means that Eircom will have fibre closer to those NBP areas that are left in the plan, which should make it even less costly for Eircom to provide the fibre there.

In short I think Eircom have pulled a great stroke commercially.

On the other hand Eircom are making the NBP areas even less commercially viable by taking lightly populated areas/small villages out of the NBP, leaving only the very remote for NBP.

This will increase the cost of Siro providing fibre to those premises as they won't have the numbers of connections they might have been counting on when doing their estimates on ROI.

This seems to me to be a bold move by Eircom to reduce the attractiveness of NBP involvement by their competition.

It also means that Eircom will have fibre closer to those NBP areas that are left in the plan, which should make it even less costly for Eircom to provide the fibre there.

In short I think Eircom have pulled a great stroke commercially.
    The list shows the names of exchanges, not all the areas served by them. And the exchanges eircom picked are some of the more remote and smallest exchanges in the country! I mean Kilsharvan in Co. Meath serves like 27 lines and is surrounded by other exchanges which also serve many more than 27 rural households who can't currently get efibre. The kilsharvan RSU was connected by a fibre ATM connection I think, about 15 years ago. They'd have to replace the backhaul for the area and in so doing, pass lots of houses which aren't in the rollout. Bizarre stuff.

Only a tiny minority of rural lines in Louth will benefit too. Eircom seem to be targeting particularly small exchanges and indeed ones with no existing DSL. It makes no sense to me really.

Edit: the more I think about it, the more I reckon they might be targeting areas with inadequate copper plant and where cabling may have had to be replaced or have high fault rates, like in Clare with 21 exchanges selected and having suffered major storm damage. I'm surprised 300,000 will benefit considering very few posters here have reported being included in this announcement.

Eircom seem to be targeting particularly small exchanges and indeed ones with no existing DSL. It makes no sense to me really.

Well my village's exchange has no DSL capability, it is at the end of a core Fibre run and has about 166 active telephone connections, but it isn't on this list.
    Edit: the more I think about it, the more I reckon they might be targeting areas with inadequate copper plant and where cabling may have had to be replaced or have high fault rates, like in Clare with 21 exchanges selected and having suffered major storm damage. I'm surprised 300,000 will benefit considering very few posters here have reported being included in this announcement.

That could very well be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

The list shows the names of exchanges, not all the areas served by them. And the exchanges eircom picked are some of the more remote and smallest exchanges in the country! I mean Kilsharvan in Co. Meath serves like 27 lines and is surrounded by other exchanges which also serve many more than 27 rural households who can't currently get efibre. The kilsharvan RSU was connected by a fibre ATM connection I think, about 15 years ago. They'd have to replace the backhaul for the area and in so doing, pass lots of houses which aren't in the rollout. Bizarre stuff.

Only a tiny minority of rural lines in Louth will benefit too. Eircom seem to be targeting particularly small exchanges and indeed ones with no existing DSL. It makes no sense to me really.

You could be on to something here.

Of the listed exchanges for Mayo, the one closest to me (Glenisland) is currently wirelessly back hauled.

It would make sense for them to add fibre and then call it part of their rural plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Exactly, theyve been putting off making the old radio exchanges NGN as its cost prohibitive, now they can subsidise it with NBP money. Even if the villages are small it increases the reach of the core network and acts as a rural point of presence for interconnects to other services so it makes sense for the taxpayer to get behind.

rob man, sho some optimism. Eircom (the legacy telco who couldn't even provide dial up to many urban areas a decade ago) are going to roll out FTTH as a commercial venture to places that aren't even on many maps. There is no bad news here. If these tiny places can get it, everyone can get it. Eircom must have learned a lot from Belcara.
    I can't really fathom their selections. The ones in Meath, like Lobinstown, make a fair bit of sense. Copper is sparse on the ground, pairgains still used and they still have some pairgain-like tech for some of the lines at the edge of the exchange area because the lines are too damn long!

But it's a one-handed clap from me and for the only exchange area selected in Louth:(

And why was Kilsharvan in Meath selected?! It's one of the earliest RSUs and serves like 27 houses. Less than 100 hectares total area going by eircom wholesale. Duleek, Donore Road and Julianstown all surround it and no FTTH planned for those exchanges yet?! Unless Donore Road is included as part of "Drogheda", and they extend FTTH to that entire exchange area.

The more I look at the places selected, the more I wonder if these are places that have high uptake of fixed wireless providers or mobile internet providers at eircom's expense. There would be many people in the Lobinstown area for instance using Net1, and in Readypenny, people might use Net1 or Digiweb as there's no DSL available. At least they get some revenue out of those on 1 Mbit amber lines.

As patterns go:

An exchange with normal fibre backhaul in the list: Tullyvin, Co. Cavan (The link from Cootehill to Cavan town). Also Tamney, Co. Donegal.
    An exchange with wireless link backhaul (no DSL): Rossnoulty, Co. Tipperary
    An exchange probably with wireless backhaul (DSL present): Tullynahinera, Co. Monaghan.

I don't know what makes Rossnoulty stand out more than the likes of Hackballscross in Louth, except fewer lines if anything and even further away from existing fibre backhaul! Tamney in Co. Donegal has some of the longest copper lines in the State, especially near the bridge to nowhere over Sheep Haven at around 11 km. If eircom used the bridge to nowhere for phone lines, much of that area could get DSL but it's rare when eircom connect people to different exchanges.

• Advertisement

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Well my village's exchange has no DSL capability, it is at the end of a core Fibre run and has about 166 active telephone connections, but it isn't on this list.
    That's a disgrace. But my point wasn't that ALL exchanges without DSL will now get it. It is a big factor in common from having looked at a couple of dozen on the list that I know or subsequently looked up.
    ED E wrote:
    Exactly, theyve been putting off making the old radio exchanges NGN as its cost prohibitive, now they can subsidise it with NBP money
    Eircom haven't been given the sniff of a euro by this government yet. It has to be assumed that this rollout is happening with or without winning the NBP bid. There's no subsidising going on yet. And that being true, it's strange that they have selected often very isolated exchanges, often with no fibre backhaul. The one thing they have in common is that there's no VDSL present. I suspect these are exchanges that have had little or no investment, the plans were to enable them with VDSL when funding was available for increased fibre or wireless capacity OR exchanges that had no ADSL were becoming hard to maintain due to age or their microwave links were causing trouble and so on, and eircom collectively decided to go the whole hog to solve a variety of problems - be it storm damage, ridiculously long lines, aged or inadequate backhaul, increased demand for more expensive broadband packages (= more revenue) and the coup de grace being that they will have a very competitive bid for the NBP with the cost falling within €500 million.

And to all those talking about the supposed €10000 cost to provide fibre... Well lads, 300,000,000 divided by 300,000 doesn't exactly get 10000 :p I always said the cost of FTTH in rural ireland would be far less than that in the majority of rural areas, with so much copper plant being underground and the ideal nature of ribbon development for GPON rollouts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement