Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overreacting or the right thing to do.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Surely if he's a suspect for a crime (and you can never be too careful particularly in a country where every man and his dog have guns) he should have been handcuffed and searched in the bathroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,150 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

KungPao wrote: »
    Surely if he's a suspect for a crime (and you can never be too careful particularly in a country where every man and his dog have guns) he should have been handcuffed and searched in the bathroom?

perhaps they didnt want to do it in confined space full of hard surfaces in case he kicks off?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

And captain 'predictable response' has arrived. This is such a cut and dry case of justified shooting and yet you still can't be happy. It's such a shame the guy wasn't black so you could harp on about that as well :rolleyes:

He's just taking a break from defending the Egyptian lad

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

osarusan wrote: »
    I'd wonder why he wasn't searched/frisked as soon as possible, but maybe there are good reasons for bringing him outside first, I don't know (get him away from as many people as possible?).
    He was only suspected, they were bringing him outside the restaurant for questioning and a formal arrest, which I'm sure the owners would have prefered. Don't see anything untowards there.
    over reaction as per. wouldn't expect anything less from murika and the low standards they have for their police
    How would you react if someone pointed a gun at you?
    daheff wrote: »
    whatever about him taking out the gun and the officer shooting initially, the part where she fires mutiple shots at somebody on the ground is (to pardon the phrase) overkill.
    People don't die instantly when shot. At any time before he got a fatal shot he could have fired back. You often hear stories of people not even realising they've been shot until they feel the wet of the blood pumping out of them a few minutes later.

Has a post just disappeared from this thread? it was there a second ago?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Kev W wrote: »
    Then you don't get to complain that nobody else did.

It wasnt a complaint.
    It was an observation and a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I've watched this a couple of times now. The "victim" raises the gun twice, the first time as he takes it out of his pocket (52 seconds) and goes to hold it in an assault stance (ready to fire). He's then tossed out of the way by the sergeant and as he spins, the gun comes up again (56 seconds). This looks like a totally justified shooting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Julez

I've seen some ridiculous videos of american police and this is not one of them. Think if that was your mother/father/wife/son whatever behind the badge, you wouldn't want them taking any chances. If you pull a gun on an armed cop you're getting shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

ScumLord wrote: »
    He was only suspected, they were bringing him outside the restaurant for questioning and a formal arrest, which I'm sure the owners would have prefered. Don't see anything untowards there.

Especially as the guy appeared to be quite willing to go with them. There was nothing to suggest that he was going to do anything untoward.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

It was definitely the right thing to do. The man pulled out a gun. Real gun or no, you don't do that. The police were completely justified in shooting him.

• Advertisement

The smart thing for that guy to do was realise he's caught and tell the officers he has the gun on the way out. What exactly did he expect to happen when he pulled his toy gun out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

'Hey, everybody! Look! We shoot white people, too!'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Has anyone trotted out the "why didn't they shoot him in the leg/shoot the gun out of his hand" line yet?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Has anyone trotted out the "why didn't they shoot him in the leg/shoot the gun out of his hand" line yet?

surprisingly they havent. Shouldnt be too long now though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

He didn't deserve to die for having a bb gun. They could have just shot him leg or shot the gun out of his hand if the were acting purely in self defence. Why didn't the do that?

He didn't deserve to die for having a bb gun. They could have just shot him leg or shot the gun out of his hand if the were acting purely in self defence. Why didn't the do that?

Also, surely the would have seen that imitation is inscribed on the barrel of the gun in 2mm high type when he whipped out the gun. Total amateurs…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Also, couldn't they see that he wasn't black?

Also, couldn't they see that he wasn't black?

Total amateurs…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

inforfun wrote: »
    3 days ago a guy in The Hague dies while being arrested in The Netherlands, rioting going on for days now.
    Not a peep on boards (or Irish media for that matter).

Idiot thief pulls (fake) gun in The USA and faces the consequences and here we are, another thread to have a go at The USA.
    What is the obsession with The USA?

(dont come out with: Well, open your own thread about The Hague. I will not.)

I suspect the answer is that in The Hague, this is almost unheard of, and not neccessarily symptomatic of a wider issue. Whereas in the US, stories like these seem to be every second day, and it alarms people because it shows up a huge culture gap that tends to be rendered otherwise invisible by the prevalence of American TV/culture and the shared language.

As fair or unfair as it is, we "expect" things like this to go on only far away, and the more different the culture to our own, the more likely we are to accept it as a "them" issue. With the US, we are very prone to seeing the country as more or less like us, just on a bigger scale. We probably get almost as much news from the US as we do from the UK or Ireland depending on how you get your news from day to day. When something like this happens, and it happens far too much lately, we are far more inclined to notice it than somewhere like Mexico or even the Netherlands.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I wouldn't even draw a picture of a gun around US police.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

kjl wrote: »
    I think the guy is a bit of an idiot, but did he deserve to die? I don't think so.

The guy is a sad loss to the gene pool.

Did he deserve to die - of course not, but then who does?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

OK I am willing to admit that I could be wrong on this.

I don't think the guy deserved to die and maybe the real reason I am upset here is because this entire incident happened because American citizens have easy access to handguns. If this happened in Ireland it would have had a different outcome, even if our police were armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

'Murica
    #Freedom
    #Gunssavelives

What would the Garda ERU do if you pulled a gun on them? Why dont you try it and see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I don't think the guy deserved to die and maybe the real reason I am upset here is because this entire incident happened because American citizens have easy access to handguns. If this happened in Ireland it would have had a different outcome, even if our police were armed.

Not so sure on the last bit tbh.

Would he have a few less holes in him? I'm sure he would, but I'm pretty sure he'd be just as dead.

Pull what looks like a gun on armed police and in the dark, its going to end badly for you, no matter the country.

the entire incident happened because the guy is an idiot with a deathwish.

They obviously don't get much round house kick training these days either. Back in the eighties any cop would have used a roundhouse kick to bring a quick and peaceful end to the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

If this happened in Ireland it would have had a different outcome, even if our police were armed.

Few years ago there was a post office robbery foiled by armed gardai. One raider pointed a (real) gun at the guards and was killed, as was the raider beside him.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/force-used-by-armed-garda-in-foiled-post-office-robbery-proportionate-26783677.html

Not so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Why don't they use taser guns?

scdublin wrote: »
    Why don't they use taser guns?

ROFL. Somebody points a gun and you think they should pull out tasers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Maybe we should give our soldiers tasers too.:)

Advertisement