Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overreacting or the right thing to do.

Options
  • 02-07-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭

Mod Warning: the video is fairly graphic and is somewhat disturbing. Please consider this before you view it

So this was posted on reddit and the general consensus is that the officer made the right decision. I personally think they did a terrible job here.

The guy basically stole beer from walmart and went into the toilet of an applebee's to hide out, the gun he was carrying was a airsoft bb gun, non lethal.

I think they should have searched him and handcuffed him inside the restaurant. The guy didn't take aim and appears to be attempting to run rather than shoot his way out. Listen to the hysterical in the female officer's voice, this is hardly calm and really show this woman has little to no training for these kind of situations.

If this was Ireland, and even if it was a real gun, the guy would have been handcuffed and if he wasn't he would have a few battons on the head, but he would be alive.

I think the guy is a bit of an idiot, but did he deserve to die? I don't think so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You cannot whip out a gun beside armed officers who are questioning you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

it's an airsoft gun if he is with his pals at some range or airsoft club.
    In a situation like this it becomes an imitation firearm
    Not a good idea unless he was looking for death by cop suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

how were the cops meant to know it was fake in that split second?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The guy pulled a freaking gun, BB or not is irrelevant, next to armed police officers.. Who are you trying to troll here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Watching the video it sure looks like a gun to me.

Its an airsoft gun? If you say so. I know if I was arresting a guy and he suddenly pulled that out and tried to point it at me I'd assume it was a real gun too.

Why on earth would the guy even take that out of his pocket?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

how were the cops meant to know it was fake in that split second?

Yeah, it's far different than the Tamir Rice (12-year-old boy with killed that had a BB gun in Cleveland) as there was no time to really think here.

Sad, but the shooting was justifiable in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

What a dumb ass, pulling out a gun real or fake is looking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

AMERICA
    **** yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

He pulled a gun(or what they perceived to be a gun) on two officers and turned around to face them whilst raising the weapon. They shot him in self defence. Anyone who says that they would do differently in that situation and who tries to lay blame on the two cops for this is a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

He pulled what looked like a real gun. He pulled it on armed officers. There is no way they could determine from what I saw in that video that the gun was fake. They were perfectly within their rights to defend themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

No way I'm watching that video, but if he pulled what looks like a gun then the end result is inevitable.

That said, if he was in a confined space then surely some sort of negotiation should have taken place? Sounds like he had mental health issues tbh.

Tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

'suicide by cop'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

His own fault TBH. Especially as an American he should known its a stupid thing to do.

Thought the female officer was fine. She isn't hysterical, just the result of a huge adrenalin burst after shooting the man and probably for a second or two thinking she's about to be shot herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

'Murica
    #Freedom
    #Gunssavelives

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

kjl wrote: »
    Listen to the hysterical in the female officer's voice, this is hardly calm and really show this woman has little to no training for these kind of situations.

This is nonsense. She alerted her partner, drew her weapon and fired just as she was trained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

'When in doubt...take the fooker out' :eek:

Self defence = self preservation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Not ANOTHER all American cops are racists and scumbags who want to kill people thread. I'm all out of give a fcuk.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Something something generic anti-American anti-cop armchair warrior brain vomit and thank whoring statement. There, that'll save everyone the bother. Don't forget to give me a pat on the back and lots of thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd wonder why he wasn't searched/frisked as soon as possible, but maybe there are good reasons for bringing him outside first, I don't know (get him away from as many people as possible?).

Why not handcuff as soon as safely possible him though? (and it looked safe in the toilet)

But once he pulled the gun it was all over. He must have known as much himself, surely.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

3 days ago a guy in The Hague dies while being arrested in The Netherlands, rioting going on for days now.
    Not a peep on boards (or Irish media for that matter).

Idiot thief pulls (fake) gun in The USA and faces the consequences and here we are, another thread to have a go at The USA.
    What is the obsession with The USA?

(dont come out with: Well, open your own thread about The Hague. I will not.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No way I'm watching that video, but if he pulled what looks like a gun then the end result is inevitable.

That said, if he was in a confined space then surely some sort of negotiation should have taken place? Sounds like he had mental health issues tbh.

Tragic.

The video starts in the toilets. The 3 of them, one cop in front the other behind, calmly walk all the way through the restaurant and out into the parking lot. As they step outside the female cop asks if the guy has any ID. He doesn't answer, but instead pulls what clearly looks on the video to be a gun and turns towards her. The other cop grabs him and pushes him out into the car park, then shots are fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Got what he deserved, what a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Nah, he was tased and incapacitated on the ground and then they decided to shoot him.

'Merica

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

inforfun wrote: »
    (dont come out with: Well, open your own thread about The Hague. I will not.)

Then you don't get to complain that nobody else did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Nah, he was tased and incapacitated on the ground and then they decided to shoot him.

'Merica

This exactly, he was tasered, took a bit to hit the ground and then they shot him. My as well have not bothered with the taser at all and just shot him.

She was very quick on the draw with the taser, I'll giver her credit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

over reaction as per. wouldn't expect anything less from murika and the low standards they have for their police

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

He pulled a gun(or what they perceived to be a gun) on two officers and turned around to face them whilst raising the weapon. They shot him in self defence. Anyone who says that they would do differently in that situation and who tries to lay blame on the two cops for this is a liar.
    they aren't liars.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

'Merica
    This exactly, he was tasered, took a bit to hit the ground and then they shot him. My as well have not bothered with the taser at all and just shot him.

He was standing pointing a gun at them FFS!! One of them probably tried to taser while the other shot. He was shot before he hit the deck for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

fullstop wrote: »
    He was standing pointing a gun at them FFS!! One of them probably tried to taser while the other shot. He was shot before he hit the deck for sure.

He was tasered, turned around, hit the ground, rolled over and was then shot 3 times in the back. The same cop tased had time to put it away and then she drew her gun and shot him 3 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

whatever about him taking out the gun and the officer shooting initially, the part where she fires mutiple shots at somebody on the ground is (to pardon the phrase) overkill.

I can fully understand why the inital shots were fired, but once he hit the ground she should have stopped shooting. At the point of hitting the ground theres a chance (albeit probably small) that he wouldnt have died.

The volley of shots at a person facedown on the ground ensures he wont survive.

Advertisement