Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

Was in Dealz today and saw these new Maybelline thingys (not sure what they are exactly, shadow, blush etc) but they were two for €1.49 so I picked them up. Gorgeous colours, the coral one I am assuming is a blush. I have never seen either of these before so don't know how new or old they are.

Maybelline Hypercosmos in the colour "pk-1" (coral) and "be-1" (brown/cream

The brown/cream ones seems to have a pink/rose undertone as when I swatched them they came out a lovely rosy gold colour, really gorgeous. :)
    I've just been told that they are highlighters. Mix 'em together with your brush and then apply where you would apply blush and it gives a good highlight plus a beautiful tint to the cheekbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Was in Dealz today and saw these new Maybelline thingys (not sure what they are exactly, shadow, blush etc) but they were two for €1.49 so I picked them up. Gorgeous colours, the coral one I am assuming is a blush. I have never seen either of these before so don't know how new or old they are.

Maybelline Hypercosmos in the colour "pk-1" (coral) and "be-1" (brown/cream

34z0wtl.jpg

The brown/cream ones seems to have a pink/rose undertone as when I swatched them they came out a lovely rosy gold colour, really gorgeous. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

I got the L'Oreal Infallible Foundation and it is AMAZING! Also picked up the matte NYX setting spray and really like it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Are the new so sue me polishes any good? I heard from a friend they're bad for chipping?

Mam gave me a sample of this GlamGlow mask the other day, even my boyfriend, who has less than zero interest in beauty/skincare etc tried it and thought it was amazing, so we bought one between the two of us.

10652110-1352825307-746447.jpg

We got a free sample of the Dual Cleanse mask with the full size clearing one. I've tried it and its nice but I didn't notice much difference after one use, so I'll try it a few more times and see. I will though even though it is a mud-to-oil mask it doesn't leave a greasy/oily/heavy residue on the face, it does leave a light film, but it feels like a moisturiser rather than an oil.

GLAMGLOW-POWERMUD-DUAL-CLEANSE-MUD-TO-OIL-DEEP-CLEANSING-TREATMENT.jpg

Also picked up this liquid liner by Maybelline in Dealz for €1.49 - want to try and get the hang of liquid liner so said I'd give this one a try.

maybelline-hyper-glossy-liquid-liner.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I bought a lipliner today. A Maybelline one in a light pinkish shade.
    The only thing is, I don't think I'm very good at lining my lips!
    I can't seem to stick to the outside without drawing it on my skin.
    What the hell....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Got the MD Instant Facelift. I think it works, my skin tightens after using it. Don't know if I look any different though.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I bought a lipliner today. A Maybelline one in a light pinkish shade.
    The only thing is, I don't think I'm very good at lining my lips!
    I can't seem to stick to the outside without drawing it on my skin.
    What the hell....

I was the same when I first started using lipliner so what I used to do (and still do for strong/bright colours) is line just inside my lip liner and then use a brush (or my fingers the odd time) and blend the colour outwards towards the lip line. A brush is better for more precision though obviously but sometimes in a rush I just my fingers and they work grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

I'm back with a review of a few more products that I have been using on my skin and results have been extraordinarily good.

The 1st product is Hada Labo Gokujyun Foaming cleanser:
    1098493_original.jpg
    Normally I'd be very wary of using a foaming cleanser as they can be harsh and strip the skin. No such problems with this one! After washing my skin was clean but not "squeaky" clean(where your face feels like you've gotten botox because all the oils have been taken from your skin. I use this in combination with my cleansing oil(which I'll review later in this post), whenever I wear suncream, make-up etc. It contains a decent amount of Hyaluronic acid and my skin has come on in leaps and bounds since I started using it. Prices can vary but the cheapest place I found it for was on Rakuten global, from the seller Master of life(if you ask him, he'll post by SAL instead of EMS - most sellers on Rakuten post EMS).

The next product is Hada Labo Gokujyun lotion(Rich type):
    $_35.JPG
    (In case you are wondering, lotion is the same as a toner in Asian Beauty) I am really impressed with this product! This complements the foaming cleanser really well and is also effective if you don't use the HL cleanser. You can really feel that it's working as it gives a very slight tingle when you apply it. I have really noticed a difference in the moisture levels of my skin since starting to use this. It also doesn't take long to absorb into my skin and it's not harsh or drying. It also has Hyaluronic acid in it which is very good for dehydrated or mature skin. Like the cleanser the cheapest place to get it is Rakuten global from Master of life.

The best product I own in my entire skincare routine is Benton Snailbee High Content Essence:
    %5BBENTON%5D%20Snail%20Bee%20High%20Content%20Essence%2060ml_title.jpg
    This is my Holy Grail skincare product. It contains snail slime, bee venom, arbutin and other excellent ingredients. I know you might be thinking, "snail slime, yuck there is no way on this Earth I am putting this stuff on my face!" but bear with me. Snail slime is an incredibly healing ingredient, very good for acne, redness, skin irritation and most other problems with the skin. I have been using it for a few weeks now and it has really improved my acne, redness and irritation. My chin has a lot of acne and redness on it, since using the essence the acne has thinned out and I've really noticed a huge difference in the amount of product that I've had to use(started with 3 pumps, now down to 1.5). It's a very thin liquid and is incredibly easy to apply. It absorbs quickly and has minimal scent(it also doesn't feel slimy which is important!).

My only negative review I have is of the Benton snail bee high content steam cream:
    thumbnail_benton_snail-bee-high-content-steam-cream_1.png
    It contains the same ingredients as the essence, but in cream form. My only problems with the cream are, it's incredibly thick and hard to apply. If you try to apply it to your skin, you have to be careful as you run the risk of dragging and pulling at your skin. Not impressed and plan on getting another cream instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Picked up a few bits when Cloud10 had 15% off:
    Blank Canvas E24 Flat Shader
    pRHMCs.jpg
    Blank Canvas E32 Tapered Crease Brush
    KQFqdJ.jpg
    Blank Canvas E26 Blending Brush
    MEbSIp.jpg
    Blank Canvas E34 Blending Brush
    ERGpeN.jpg
    Blank Canvas F05 Fan Brush
    lTO3Ur.jpg
    - got this for using with the highlighter below and love it so far.

These are my first BC brushes and I am very impressed with the quality, especially for the price.

theBalm Mary-Lou Manizer
    vWH2V6.jpg

First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads
    CIeuaO.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I received the urban decay naked 2 palette recently. I absolutely love it. Such a wide variety of colours and a nice mix of matte and shimmer eyeshadows. I got a sample of the eyeshadow primer with it as well. So far I have only used both the eyeshadow and primer together. It's amazing how long it lasts. Before my eye shadow would be creased within an hour or if I was lucky, two. I don't know how long the eyeshadow lasts on its own.

I also got mac patisserie lipstick. It's a gorgeous pink shade. Really good for everyday wear. I got the edge to edge lipliner as well. When used with the lipliner the lipstick can be dressed up to a deeper darker pink shade. I wouldn't say that they are long lasting. After 2 hours I could do with reapplying it so not the longest lasting but the shade of the lipstick is so nice.

I also got an OPI natural nail strengthener. So far I have seen no difference. I have exceptionally weak nails so maybe that's partly why.

I bought Soap and Glory one heck of a blot powder. I think it gives a lovely finish to my make up and reduces shine.

I also got a Real Techniques eyeshadow brush set. It's really nice. However in my set there is no accent brush but the brush with the naked 2 is very good so it can do that for me. I got it as a present from the states so maybe it got lost along the way.The price of it in the US is 10 dollars. The same set is 29 euro here. I wouldn't pay that for it.

I purchased the Liz Earle hot cloth polish last month. I think my skin looks so good recently and I think it's due to this cleanser. I'm really happy with it so I will definitely repurchase it. I was using the no 7 hot cloth cleanser which is good but the Liz earle is on another level. It's definitely worth the extra money.

Recently I noticed that my cheeks can be prone to dehydration and my regular moisturiser wasn't able to manage it. So I purchased the Indeed Labs hydraluron moisture jelly to use on my face at night and just on my cheeks during the day. So far I'm finding it really good. I'm not sure if I'll repurchase as it is quite expensive for me. I use La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo on my t zone and I find that good for unclogging pores on my nose and chin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I've started using the MAC paint pot in Painterly as a primer and it keeps my eyeshadow in place all day. I find it better than the UD primers and I have fairly oily Eyelids. I used it yday in 35degree heat on hols and it was still there when I got back to the hotel in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

Anyone try the glamglow eye masks? They are a bit expensive and I have heard mixed reviews about them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

i got bare mineral yesterday?
    shouldn't have,

girl put it on in the shop, i was like ah it looks nice etc etc

bought it asking can i return it once its unopened?
    she said yea thats ok, so i was like grand..

walked outside,
    looked like my face had chalk all over it.

Natural make up my ar$e

have to drive back to blanch today now

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

anna080 wrote: »
    Are the new so sue me polishes any good? I heard from a friend they're bad for chipping?

I have the Navy one no idea of the actual colour name but I found it to last about a week with a good base coat and top coat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Heres a review of those nail polishes - I would really trust this blogger as shes a nail polish addict!

http://www.behindgreeneyes.com/2015/06/sosu-polish-by-suzanne-jackson-sosu-or.html

ams wrote: »
    Heres a review of those nail polishes - I would really trust this blogger as shes a nail polish addict!

http://www.behindgreeneyes.com/2015/06/sosu-polish-by-suzanne-jackson-sosu-or.html

Wow, that's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

My friend tried the SoSu nail varnish and had the same experience with both of the shades she tried. Chipped within 24-48 hours, even with tried and trusted base and top coats.

If anyone wants to try a "drugstore"/highstreet gel nail polish, I'd recommend the Maybelline SuperStay range :)

I haven't tried the SoSueMe polishes and I won't be either but I have tried the Maybelline SuperStay range and have to say they are probably some of the worst I've ever tried.

They chip quickly, wear quickly. I've never had more than a few hours wear with them before chips start appearing, and I've worn them on days when I've had to do no house work (or did my nails after it was all done).

For polishes that cost around €6-€7 they aren't good quality at all. Rimmel, Max Factor, Revlon, BarryM etc are all far better, and in and around the same price range. I would avoid those superstay polishes at all costs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Had recently bought my first mac purchase Mac Studio Finish Concealer and was really happy with how it covered any spots, fast became my favourite concealer..
    Fast forward 3 weeks though and I think its just after causing more spots :( I hadnt noticed originally but ive more angry bumps than ive ever had before in clusters on my face so my relationship with Mac has taken a plunge :( Pity coz it seemed to do a great job camouflaging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I haven't tried the SoSueMe polishes and I won't be either but I have tried the Maybelline SuperStay range and have to say they are probably some of the worst I've ever tried.

They chip quickly, wear quickly. I've never had more than a few hours wear with them before chips start appearing, and I've worn them on days when I've had to do no house work (or did my nails after it was all done).

For polishes that cost around €6-€7 they aren't good quality at all. Rimmel, Max Factor, Revlon, BarryM etc are all far better, and in and around the same price range. I would avoid those superstay polishes at all costs.

That's really odd compared to my experience. I own about 6-7 shades of the SuperStay and love all of them. About 4 of the shades used to last an entire week without chipping, even with circuit labs in college (which required clawing parts out with my nails).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Picked up some Garnier Micellar Water in Pennys for 4.50e.

Like I need another cleanser :P

Anyone see Pippa O Connor's face palette for Blank Canvas? Pic below. Have to say I'm shocked at the price, €34.99 is crazy for what seems like a mediocre palette. Nothing I haven't seen before really..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Anyone see Pippa O Connor's face palette for Blank Canvas? Pic below. Have to say I'm shocked at the price, €34.99 is crazy for what seems like a mediocre palette. Nothing I haven't seen before really..

I wondered about that too - is it seriously double the usual price of a Blank Canvas palette?! Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

i bought bare minerals powder foundation the other day..
    girl tried it on me in the shop,
    looks ok.. so bought it..

went outside.. i looked like a had a chalky face.

wasn't happy at all..

and for 29 euro its a dear mistake.

i already have a bag of make up i don't use or bought on impulse, no need for more!

dee_mc wrote: »
    I wondered about that too - is it seriously double the usual price of a Blank Canvas palette?! Madness.

I know. Madness. The eyeshadows are nothing special. The palette actually reminds me of the new Collection eyeshadow palette that you can get for under €4. Feel like she's ripping people off big time with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I saw a picture of Pippa's palette earlier today & thought it looked nice but I didn't realise what price it was! That's a fairly crazy price compared to Blank Canvas' usual products. I get that it's celebrity endorsed/produced/whatever, but still.

It's a nice looking palette though, would be very handy for travelling. I'm a sucker for neutral matte shades.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

Shocking. For another tenner you'd get an Urban Decay palette with way more eyeshadows that are of premium quality

Shocking. For another tenner you'd get an Urban Decay palette with way more eyeshadows that are of premium quality

Form the comments on her website people are saying they'd happily buy it for that price! One or two said it's too expensive but the majority said its a decent price. Personally I think it's madness for her first product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Agreed. I love the design of the palette, it looks very pretty. But the colours I probably have already and I couldn't justify paying that price for it! Maybe if I didn't have any palettes already and had a limited make up collection it would be a good one to have.

Advertisement