Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankie Boyle vs. The Daily Mirror

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

He's doing a gig in Dublin the same night as Chris Brown, and donating the proceeds to Irish Women's Shelters.

See? Not a racist. Fair play to 'im.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

"Racist Comedian"

How fcukin dare they?

He's not a comedian.

Good Read here:

http://libertymagazine.co.uk/2011/11/boyle-vs-sadowitz-the-mechanics-of-sick-comedy/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

As much as I can't stand him, I couldn't call him a racist. He doesn't give a fúck about what he says. None of it holds any value to him at all. He just picks on any group he feels like. Not out of any form of malice, or with any intention to get a point across about that group. He just does it because he can. That's the reason why I find him dull. He has no attachment to his comedy at all.

That's his weakness. I can watch his routine maybe once, a choice joke maybe twice, but that's it, I've got whatever momentary satisfaction I can get out of it.

A comedian like Dave Allen on the other hand, I could watch say.. his routine on Banks and Banking.. seen it many times, know what's coming, yet still get a laugh out of it, years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Amalgam wrote: »
    That's his weakness. I can watch his routine maybe once, a choice joke maybe twice, but that's it, I've got whatever momentary satisfaction I can get out of it.

A comedian like Dave Allen on the other hand, I could watch say.. his routine on Banks and Banking.. seen it many times, know what's coming, yet still get a laugh out of it, years later.

meh

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Before he was a comedian he worked with psychiatric patients, he had a drink and drug problem, he is ginger, Scottish and absolutely rips the **** out of all of them in his "jokes" because they are JOKES!!!!

Half the people on here as as bad as the mirror if they miss the point that jokes are to make people laugh, not actual facts meant to abuse!

I see the Irish have started to catch up with the English PC brigades and get offended on everyone else's behalf!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

nacimroc wrote: »
    Before he was a comedian he worked with psychiatric patients, he had a drink and drug problem, he is ginger, Scottish and absolutely rips the **** out of all of them in his "jokes" because they are JOKES!!!!

Half the people on here as as bad as the mirror if they miss the point that jokes are to make people laugh, not actual facts meant to abuse!

I see the Irish have started to catch up with the English PC brigades and get offended on everyone else's behalf!

You're right, I don't want to live in that world.
    FFS, making a joke about someone based on their race not racism.
    If you're going to take the plss out of someone you usually start with whatever it is that stands out about them.
    When I lived in England people constantly made Irish jokes at my expense.
    They weren't racist, they were being funny, it used to make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I read those disputed "racist" quotes, and they were clearly him speaking as a satirical character. Compare Boyle with this routine from Bill Hicks about the LA Riots. He starts with some facts then veers off in to satirical territory. Was he a racist?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Inevitable Bill Hicks clip is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,120 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

http://www.digitalspy.ie/media/news/a430781/frankie-boyle-accuses-the-mirror-of-serious-libel-after-racist-tag.html

Personally I find it rather amusing that a comedian who bases much of his comedy on hurling insults at other people, takes such offence when someone does the same to him. Still, the printed word seems to be much more of a legal minefield than the verbal kind.

Did The Mirror have a point calling Boyle racist, or should comedians be free to tell any joke they want without being labelled as sexist/racist/homophobic by the press?

I think the outcome of this case will be very interesting.

He better hope there are no Kerry Katona fans on the jury. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

nacimroc wrote: »

It's Fintan time!

We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

hes a raw , twisted and hard headed comic , but no racist .

hes also hilarious , and very quick minded.

I hope he wins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

alphabeat wrote: »
    hes a raw , twisted and hard headed comic , but no racist .

hes also hilarious , and very quick minded.

I hope he wins

I don't really get his humour. He's offensive, sure but I just feel he's out to shock half the time rather than be some kind of malevolent force.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Brilliant comedian, seeing him later on this year. Watching him deal with a heckler is almost frightening

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Brilliant comedian, seeing him later on this year. Watching him deal with a heckler is almost frightening

Went to see him a few weeks ago. He's as brilliant as he ever was and he tore the only heckler at the show apart at the end for a good 5 minutes.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

summerskin wrote: »

At least it wasn't in a thread on pot though - nice to see a bit of variance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The Stewart Lee clip is becoming more prevalent recently. One of the clips where Stewart discusses the 'metaness' of his comedy.

Went to see him a few weeks ago. He's as brilliant as he ever was and he tore the only heckler at the show apart at the end for a good 5 minutes.

One particularly good putdown (couldn't find it on Youtube)

Frankie: Any questions at this point
    Heckler: Yeah, did you ever think of going to Specsavers?
    Frankie: Yes. I was there last week. I went with your mum. She's a wee bit c*ck-eyed, after I stuck my c*ck into both her eyes. Any more questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sergeant wrote: »
    The Stewart Lee clip is becoming more prevalent recently. One of the clips where Stewart discusses the 'metaness' of his comedy.

The Political Correctness gone mad one is pretty common too (I'm guilty of posting it myself once or twice I think!)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

WindSock wrote: »
    He's doing a gig in Dublin the same night as Chris Brown, and donating the proceeds to Irish Women's Shelters.

Are you saying he's prejudiced against non-Irish Men who don't have Housing issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

telecaster wrote: »
    Are you saying he's prejudiced against non-Irish Men who don't have Housing issues?

Yes. He *really* hates Chris Brown :D

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    Yes. He *really* hates Chris Brown :D

I think Chris Brown tweeted something like the following:
    "I think skateboarding and break-dancing should be Olympic sports"

To which Frankie replied:
    "What about inter-gender boxing? You might get a medal in that one"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yet it took 5 pages before someone did it ... and still no-one got the point. ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I think Chris Brown tweeted something like the following:
    "I think skateboarding and break-dancing should be Olympic sports"

To which Frankie replied:
    "What about inter-gender boxing? You might get a medal in that one"
    I love how it's impossible to read Frankie Boyle quotes without hearing it in his accent in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why would he say it about any of the public's sons? If you are referring to Jordan, Boyle's jokes are, in my opinion and i'm sure a lot of other's, a comment on Jordan's shameless pushing of every one of her son's life moments into the media. Taking him literally shows you aint getting it. No harm though, it is an acquired taste

A joke about how she needed Alex (cant remember his 2nd name, the MMA guy) around so that the son would'nt overpower and rape her is about her shameless pushing of her sons life moments into the media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Blondini wrote: »
    "Racist Comedian"

How fcukin dare they?

He's not a comedian.

Good Read here:

http://libertymagazine.co.uk/2011/11/boyle-vs-sadowitz-the-mechanics-of-sick-comedy/[/QUOTE]
    That article was complete and utter psudo-intellectual student bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Not saying he is or isn't racist but saying "it is a joke" is a bs excuse for bigots and mouthpieces to get away with saying stuff they wouldn't say to peoples faces.

Shock factor jokes are often not funny and are just done to offend and to create a reaction, Often the offense is not even meant but the offended people are still left hurting.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

ScumLord wrote: »
    I love how it's impossible to read Frankie Boyle quotes without hearing it in his accent in your head.

Why on earth would you love that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

cowzerp wrote: »
    Not saying he is or isn't racist but saying "it is a joke" is a bs excuse for bigots and mouthpieces to get away with saying stuff they wouldn't say to peoples faces.

Shock factor jokes are often not funny and are just done to offend and to create a reaction, Often the offense is not even meant but the offended people are still left hurting.

Surely the best thing to do would be to ignore it then. Rising to it gives people like him validation. I like Frankie Boyle but if he said something anti-Irish I'd ignore it. I find Mrs. Brown's Boys to be a very derogatory portrayal of the Irish but I can accept that it exists and people like it without sending letters to the BBC and moaning.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

cowzerp wrote: »

I think there's far to many people looking to get offended on other peoples behalf. There's people getting offended when the joke has little to do with them or anyone they know, they just don't like it beings said. There is a style of joking that uses the shock value of a particular mindset to satire that particular mind set.

Comedians can play an important role in getting society to look at itself in a new way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think there's far to many people looking to get offended on other peoples behalf. There's people getting offended when the joke has little to do with them or anyone they know, they just don't like it beings said. There is a style of joking that uses the shock value of a particular mindset to satire that particular mind set.

Comedians can play an important role in getting society to look at itself in a new way.

I think the highlighted comment is possibly offensive to blind people.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Advertisement