Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankie Boyle vs. The Daily Mirror

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Cienciano wrote: »
    He's probably the funniest person to follow on twitter.

Absolutely hilarious, must go on Twitter more often! Love Frankie boyle I must say.

They should have just used facts. Facts like "Frankie Boyle is a funny Cu*t"

That's more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I love Frankie Boyle and of course he is not racist, but suing the Daily Mirror for libel is hypocritical when you consider what he has said about people and his advocating of freedom of speech.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aerial bombing against those who could not retaliate in kind has been going on for over a hundred years.

The first bomb dropped from an airplane exploded in an oasis outside Tripoli on November 1, 1911.

"The Italians have dropped bombs from an airplane," reported Dagens Nyheter the next day. "One of the aviators successfully released several bombs in the camp of the enemy, with good results."

It was Lieutenant Guilio Cavotti who leaned out of his delicate monoplane and dropped the bomb-a Danish Haasen hand-grenade-on the North African oasis Tagiura near Tripoli. Several moments later he attacked the oasis Ain Zara. Four bombs in total, each weighing two kilos, were dropped during this first air attack.
    Everyone knows about Guernica in Chechaouen. In Guernica no one has ever heard of Chechaouen. And yet they are sister cities. Two small cities, clinging to mountainsides, a few miles from the northern coast of Spain and Morocco, respectively. Both of them are very old-Guernica was founded in 1366, and Chechaouen in 1471. Both are holy places-Guernica has the sacred oak of the Basque people, and Chechaouen has Moulay Abdessalam Ben Mchich's sacred grave. Both are capitals-Guernica for the Basques, and Chechaouen for the Jibala people. Both had populations of about 6,000 when they were bombed, Guernica in 1937 and Chechaouen 1925. Both were bombed by legionnaires-Guernica by Germans serving under Franco, and Chechaouen by Americans under French command, serving the interests of the Spanish colonial power.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Frankie Boyle tells ginger jokes despite the fact he's ginger himself. He tells jokes ripping the piss out of Scotland even though he is Scottish himself. He takes the piss out of alcoholics and junkies even though he himself was a drunk and an addict.

He's not racist or homophobic, it's his shock humour. I personally don't like his sense of humour he's free to make jokes if he wants.

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Frankie Boyle tells ginger jokes despite the fact he's ginger himself. He tells jokes ripping the piss out of Scotland even though he is Scottish himself. He takes the piss out of alcoholics and junkies even though he himself was a drunk and an addict.

He's not racist or homophobic.

Is he gay and black too?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mauzo wrote: »
    That's more like it.

As long as its only the disabled children of people we don't like, eh?

As long as its only the disabled children of people we don't like, eh?

Not at all. If something's funny I'll laugh. End of.

Not at all. If something's funny I'll laugh. End of.

I very much doubt that if you were in the audience and he knew the name of your handicapped son, which he then went and told a joke about said son overpowering and raping you, you'd laugh.

I very much doubt that if you were in the audience and he knew the name of your handicapped son, which he then went and told a joke about said son overpowering and raping you, you'd laugh.

If that happened to me, do you really think I'd be at a frankie boyle gig???

Bit of common sense like.

• Advertisement

If that happened to me, do you really think I'd be at a frankie boyle gig???

Bit of common sense like.

Presumably you'd have been at the gig already before you knew the joke was being told
    . What if he said it on television about your son? Would you be happy enough for it to be used as humour then? You'd have no issue with him taking the piss out of your kid and/or you and implying he'd rape you? Or is it ok as long as your not watching?

Ok so. What if he said it on television about your son? Would you be happy enough for it to be used as humour then? You'd have no issue with him taking the piss out of your kid and/or you and implying he'd rape you? Or is it ok as long as your not watching?

You probably shouldn't use me as an example. I have no line when it comes to humour.

I've been through some pretty bad stuff, I laugh about it and make sick jokes about it. Who cares? It's a joke. People will laugh, some will be disgusted. It will soon be forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Frankie Boyles is brilliant, probably the best comedian in Britain.
    He uses shock but he has the balls to make jokes that other comedians avoid.
    He's a breath of fresh air in this overly PC world that we live in.
    He may use gays, blacks, indians, scottish, irish, english or whatever, as part of his joke but there's clearly no prejudice involved.
    He's just making witty observations.
    FFS, he slags of Scotland more than anything.
    That's what he does, slags people off.
    To say that he is racist is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't believe he's a racist. However I genuinely believe he is a psychopath. That word conjures up images of serial killers, but it can simply mean someone who has no empathy for others or has no remorse for how his words or actions make others feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

John Terry and Luis Suarez are two individuals who have recently been convicted of using racial language but both were deemed to be not racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

That particular 'joke' was more directed at that thing that is the poor child's mother than at the child himself. (I don't like that sense of humour. )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

As much as I can't stand him, I couldn't call him a racist. He doesn't give a fúck about what he says. None of it holds any value to him at all. He just picks on any group he feels like. Not out of any form of malice, or with any intention to get a point across about that group. He just does it because he can. That's the reason why I find him dull. He has no attachment to his comedy at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Presumably you'd have been at the gig already before you knew the joke was being told
    . What if he said it on television about your son? Would you be happy enough for it to be used as humour then? You'd have no issue with him taking the piss out of your kid and/or you and implying he'd rape you? Or is it ok as long as your not watching?

Why would he say it about any of the public's sons? If you are referring to Jordan, Boyle's jokes are, in my opinion and i'm sure a lot of other's, a comment on Jordan's shameless pushing of every one of her son's life moments into the media. Taking him literally shows you aint getting it. No harm though, it is an acquired taste

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

As much as I can't stand him, I couldn't call him a racist. He doesn't give a fúck about what he says. None of it holds any value to him at all. He just picks on any group he feels like. Not out of any form of malice, or with any intention to get a point across about that group. He just does it because he can. That's the reason why I find him dull. He has no attachment to his comedy at all.

Agree 100%.

He aint nothing on Stewart Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is he gay and black too?
    no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

[-0-] wrote: »
    If Matthew Woods can be locked up for paraphrasing a joke from sickipedia, something he never created, then surely Boyle can be accused of being a racist based on the 'jokes' he created.

Matthew Woods shouldn't have been locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

http://www.digitalspy.ie/media/news/a430781/frankie-boyle-accuses-the-mirror-of-serious-libel-after-racist-tag.html

Personally I find it rather amusing that a comedian who bases much of his comedy on hurling insults at other people, takes such offence when someone does the same to him. Still, the printed word seems to be much more of a legal minefield than the verbal kind.

Did The Mirror have a point calling Boyle racist, or should comedians be free to tell any joke they want without being labelled as sexist/racist/homophobic by the press?

I think the outcome of this case will be very interesting.

Frankie says everything on stage in humour, the mirror flat out called him a racist, there's a difference

It could damage his career

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

nocoverart wrote: »
    He's a typical comedian that loves to throw out insults that frequently step the mark, but anything remotely negative back and he clams up like the little biyatch he is.... OH and he probably has the most punchable face on TV. Apart from that he's quite funny

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hal Decks wrote: »
    John Terry and Luis Suarez are two individuals who have recently been convicted of using racial language but both were deemed to be not racist.

Neither of them were convicted. John Terry was found not guilty and Luis Suarez never even made it to court, so flimsy was the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it's simple....he's either a racist or he's not....

He is not

/end thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A lot of people seem to have awful trouble understanding that context is everything in how a joke should be interpreted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

I'm looking at the man in the Mirror. I'm akskin him to change his wayss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

There is a difference between making a racist joke and making a joke which hits upon the audience's existing awareness of racial stereotypes. It's also important to put it in a broader context; Boyle has joked about the Scottish, the Irish, the English, the Americans and so on with regularity. He jokes about minorities and the infirm in a similar vein and this is what affords him that ''shocked'' response from the audience which ultimately makes a lot of people laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

I don't believe he's a racist. However I genuinely believe he is a psychopath. That word conjures up images of serial killers, but it can simply mean someone who has no empathy for others or has no remorse for how his words or actions make others feel.

Sociopath, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I've never seen him as racist, I also doubt he's a sociopath etc.. He is offensive, his humour is very raw, very Scottish too, I have to say.

He does a hilarious routine about the bigoted woman that approached Gordon Brown on a pre-election walkabout.

People are so so snobby when it comes to him, his Seb Coe joke during the Olympics was hilarious. The amount of nose pinching and mock upset over one of his very very slight jokes was amusing to witness.. and he's spot on with his reaction to it.
    "After all the trials they've gone through, these Paralympians face their greatest challenge in trying to not look bored by Seb Coe."

As he put it: "Nobody thinks it's a good thing to laugh at the disabled. But it is a genuine problem that we're not allowed to laugh with the disabled."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19439270

Advertisement