Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Undertaker Reportedly In WWE’s Wrestlemania 31 Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

I'd rather taker at 100% for WM32 in Texas, retire on a high

• Registered Users Posts: 32,825 ✭✭✭✭CSF

KingJamsie wrote: »
    I'd rather taker at 100% for WM32 in Texas, retire on a high

Not sure a match a year previous would have that much effect but I'd rather he wasn't going 2 underwhelming defeats in a row before that match too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Big Taker fan but would hate to see this. It's depressing that a beat up old Taker is in better shape than Bray, the match would be horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Bray may not look in great shape but when you actually see him move in the ring I think that puts that idea to bed. He's deceptively quick

Bray may not look in great shape but when you actually see him move in the ring I think that puts that idea to bed. He's deceptively quick
    Yeah he is, he is still definitely in the lower mid range of the current roster in terms of ringwork though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's hard to think of anyone who 'taker could face who would play off him well and provide a reason for fans to care about the match. A D. Bryan encounter at this stage, for sake of argument, would have absolutely no justification.

At this stage, I'd have Hogan v. Taker. Don't get me wrong - it would be a horrible match with two guys who can barely move but, come on, it's Hogan v. Taker. If WWE wants to rely on a guy's mere presence to get a match over, as they seem to think is the case with Undertaker, then why not double down and go with....Hogan v. Taker (Mick Foley thumbs up). Hogan's been advertising for a match, too.

Still, Wyatt looks nailed on, if it's to be anyone, so get ready for your favorite spots such as Wyatt laughing, Wyatt singing, and Wyatt doing that cool walk that he can only do for 5 seconds. Undertaker will counter with eye rolling (both kinds), some sit ups and a lightning strike. In fact it could be less of a match and more of turn based RPG fight.

briany wrote: »
    It's hard to think of anyone who 'taker could face who would play off him well and provide a reason for fans to care about the match. A D. Bryan encounter at this stage, for sake of argument, would have absolutely no justification.

At this stage, I'd have Hogan v. Taker. Don't get me wrong - it would be a horrible match with two guys who can barely move but, come on, it's Hogan v. Taker. If WWE wants to rely on a guy's mere presence to get a match over, as they seem to think is the case with Undertaker, then why not double down and go with....Hogan v. Taker (Mick Foley thumbs up). Hogan's been advertising for a match, too.

Still, Wyatt looks nailed on, if it's to be anyone, so get ready for your favorite spots such as Wyatt laughing, Wyatt singing, and Wyatt doing that cool walk that he can only do for 5 seconds. Undertaker will counter with eye rolling (both kinds), some sit ups and a lightning strike. In fact it could be less of a match and more of turn based RPG fight.
    I'm tellin you man, Ambrose. It would work for the same reasons that CM Punk worked so well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CSF wrote: »
    I'm tellin you man, Ambrose. It would work for the same reasons that CM Punk worked so well.

The CM Punk thing only made sense after Paul Bearer died. The "feud" wasn't making much sense until the 'E started to make the most of that sad situation.

A big part of CM Punk's WM run with 'taker was Heyman to generate that heat. Especially with the unfortunate passing of Paul Bearer and their playing off of that. Beyond that, there was Punk's own great work on the mic and that he'd already had several years in the WWE to cultivate his heel persona. Ambrose is great but he'd need to find that nuance to make us care about his end in a match v. 'taker. He's crazy - he's a 'lunatic', OK....what else?

A big part of CM Punk's WM run with 'taker was Heyman to generate that heat. Especially with the unfortunate passing of Paul Bearer and their playing off of that. Beyond that, there was Punk's own great work on the mic and that he'd already had several years in the WWE to cultivate his heel persona. Ambrose is great but he'd need to find that nuance to make us care about his end in a match v. 'taker. He's crazy - he's a 'lunatic', OK....what else?

Ya but the match would be somewhat ok with Ambrose. Taker v Bray will be a car crash

• Advertisement

Tugboats wrote: »
    Ya but the match would be somewhat ok with Ambrose. Taker v Bray will be a car crash

I think Wyatt/Taker would be easier to sell to the more casual fan because of the clash of personalities and presences. Ambrose would sell better to the smarter fans. Question is which group do you pander to? The smarter fans may have already bought the PPV...or they may just be streaming it, so I think the 'E would go for the money on the table, even though they've had a chequered history of actually doing this.

That said, I don't think either match should happen. Let Taker stay home this year and be conspicuous by his absence and build toward a proper retirement match next year with a proper feud to go with it. At the end of the day, a match doesn't mean a lot if there isn't a proper program behind it.

I think Wyatt/Taker would be easier to sell to the more casual fan because of the clash of personalities and presences. Ambrose would sell better to the smarter fans. Question is which group do you pander to? The smarter fans may have already bought the PPV...or they may just be streaming it, so I think the 'E would go for the money on the table, even though they've had a chequered history of actually doing this.

That said, I don't think either match should happen. Let Taker stay home this year and be conspicuous by his absence and build toward a proper retirement match next year with a proper feud to go with it. At the end of the day, a match doesn't mean a lot if there isn't a proper program behind it.

I really don't think Wyatt sells to the casual fan anymore than Ambrose. At least with Ambrose you know you're going to get a top quality month or so of work that will help create smarter fans of the future. The man is phenomenal at everything, as good as Bryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can you picture Bray doing his upside down face thing and all of a sudden Taker sitting him staring at him, would be a great moment

The man is phenomenal at everything, as good as Bryan.

Ah now, here. He's not as good as Bryan in getting over, just yet. He'll get there one day, though.

Ah now, here. He's not as good as Bryan in getting over, just yet. He'll get there one day, though.

He was doing just as well. The timing was just better for Bryan. Bryan is a small bit better in the ring, Ambrose on the mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'd give anything to have the Undertaker of 2006-2009 back, he was huge and in the best shape of his career.

Last year he was just awkward to watch. He has no reason to fight Wyatt as of now.

I remember watching a in house video of Cena vs the Wyatts, Cena was taunting the Wyatts saying how a superstar didn't like they way the basically stole Takers way of entering the ring, gong rings, Taker appears, Bray Wyatt gets the fcuk out of there fast!!

What will Wyatt do to make The Undertaker notice him?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I'd give anything to have the Undertaker of 2006-2009 back, he was huge and in the best shape of his career.

Undertaker's match against Kurt Angle at No Way Out 2006 is perhaps second only to HIAC KotR '98. The ankle lock sequence had me on the edge of my seat. Some truly great storytelling in that match. Would be so great, also, to see Kurt end his career in WWE, but I suppose that won't happen.

Let's remind ourselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

My issue with Taker at mania is that his f*cking entrance (and exit) takes up so muh time you could put 2 more matches on the card!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

I can see Taker and Sting fighting Triple H and Kane at Mania.
    dont ask me why, but thats what I see on the cards if he does return.

My issue with Taker at mania is that his f*cking entrance (and exit) takes up so muh time you could put 2 more matches on the card!

Agree it does waste lots of time considering theres so much depth in the talent roster

• Advertisement

Taker's entrance used to be accompanied by a sustained 'hot' reaction. Nowadays it's horrible sterile and lacking in all real atmosphere, so they have to pipe some in.

Cnbc discussing CEOs biggest mistakes. Vince for ending the streak got a mention lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Cnbc discussing CEOs biggest mistakes. Vince for ending the streak got a mention lol

Any link?

Degag wrote: »
    Any link?

No just happened to have on tv at the time. There wasn't much said but just funny how it popped up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Was listening to Piper's Podcast, and he had Jim Cornette on. Corny made a great point, saying he did'nt ever want to see Sting vs Taker, and neither does anyone else.

Sure, the build up would be good, but then the realisation would set in - somebody would have to lose. Taker can't lose again, and Sting can't lose in his first/last match.

He also said that with Vince, the decision to end the Streak was likely a spur of the moment thing, cos Vince can be like that with crazy decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

The notion that Taker won't lose again seems mental to me. You're squashing current talent for the benefit of an already established legend. Unless there's a big story behind his comebacks (which there won't be by the looks of it), I don't see the point in bringing him back at all.

Biggest mistakes? As far as mistakes go, ending Taker's streak is on the minor side, and there's plenty of people who would argue that it wasn't a mistake at all or a bad decision. Love it, or hate it, it's an absolutely iconic Wrestlemania moment, right up there with the best.

These controversial things WWE do sometimes - we can never be so sure there's not a method to the madness. If it gets people talking then maybe it's not so bad, especially is it's a work. As they say, 'The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about'. I forget who said that. I think it was a flamboyant gay man. Possibly Fandango, and no one's talking about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Be good to see badass biker Taker back once again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Be good to see badass biker Taker back once again

Yeah personally i dont think he should've gone back to the dead man character, yeah its probably the best creation ever, and it worked but as soon as he became the american badass with the kid rock music, that for me was when it should've stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Biker Taker was played out imo. I enjoyed his run with that character but it was dropped at the right time imo.

Taker from 05-11 or so was the peak of his career imo. Most of his best matches were in that period.

Bray will benefit from a match with Taker whether he wins or loses. It's hard to say, if Bray wins then you can ask why he wasn't the one to end the streak, if he loses then he's "buried" again. It's a big ask for him to carry Taker to a good match, I have my worries about that. He's gotten better in the ring though recently so maybe.

Advertisement