Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does religion have a place in 6th Year Graduations?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hey, I'm in sixth year in a Community school, and the last few weeks our year has beening planning our graduation ceremony. Now our chaplain is one of the teachers helping us organise everything, and she has us planned to say a Psalm and have a priest to come and bless us during the ceremony.
    I frankly, and a lot of others in our year, don't think this is at all necessary. Two friends of mine complained to her and she told them to talk to the principal about it, seeing as he's in charge. They started a petition yesterday and had already gotten about 30 signatures (out of about 100) and the principal told them to stop.

I just wanted to know what your opinions are on religion in schools that aren't a one religion school, what would you do in a situation like that? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

It depends, how young are kids in 6th year now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Keogg wrote: »
    Hey, I'm in sixth year in a Community school, and the last few weeks our year has beening planning our graduation ceremony. Now our chaplain is one of the teachers helping us organise everything, and she has us planned to say a Psalm and have a priest to come and bless us during the ceremony.
    I frankly, and a lot of others in our year, don't think this is at all necessary. Two friends of mine complained to her and she told them to talk to the principal about it, seeing as he's in charge. They started a petition yesterday and had already gotten about 30 signatures (out of about 100) and the principal told them to stop.

I just wanted to know what your opinions are on religion in schools that aren't a one religion school, what would you do in a situation like that? Any ideas?

I think you should be allowed opt out of the blessing - it's not on, you clearly feel uncomfortable with the idea of it. And what right has the principal to make you cease with the petition? Perhaps make the campaign bigger? Facebook, letters to the local papers, talk to local radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Would you not just suggest that anyone who wants to be blessed at the mass thing goes up to the front, kinda like the communion wafers.

That way you keep the teacher happy & it's easy to pick out the lickarses to beat up later :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They'd be 17/18/19

There was a religious element at my graduation as far as I remember, but I went to a CBS so it's to be expected

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

old hippy wrote: »
    I think you should be allowed opt out of the blessing - it's not on, you clearly feel uncomfortable with the idea of it. And what right has the principal to make you cease with the petition? Perhaps make the campaign bigger? Facebook, letters to the local papers, talk to local radio?
    I'm not sure about why he got them to stop the petition, probably made him look bad or something:pac: He said they'd discuss it on wednesday when we're back in school, I'd say he'll probably turn it into an opt-in or out thing, more than likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I don't think religion should have a part in anything within the state's remit TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

It depends. If you go to a religious school then thats just how the school is run. It's their ethos and its part of what they're doing through your education.

I'm not a religious person, but when I was in school we were thought by the Carmelites and I always found the religion in the school pretty perfect. I didn't call myself a Catholic but the chaplains were always around and really helpful. And our religion class was literally a meditation class sometimes.

In terms of your graduation, it is all about the people leaving the school obviously, but you cant turn around and tell the school you disagree with how it's run and its basic principals!

Keogg wrote: »
    I'm not sure about why he got them to stop the petition, probably made him look bad or something:pac: He said they'd discuss it on wednesday when we're back in school, I'd say he'll probably turn it into an opt-in or out thing, more than likely

I hope it works out well for you :) Keep us informed

I don't think religion should have a part in anything within the state's remit TBH.

The schools are generally set up and run by the Church, not the state. The state subsidises them which I don't think anyone can argue with? If you don't want to be in a religious environment then don't go to a religious school

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I think it should be up to the parish to organise the blessings and kept separate from the actual graduation process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I went to a convent of mercy school so ye Catholicism everywhere, there were even 2 girls in the year who were some form of protestants and the schools attitude to them was ridiculous, any time there was anything religious on those 2 would always be targeted to take part too. Im not religious in the slightest but that's just something you have to put up with in schools, if you feel it's wrong, just don't go, otherwise just go and forget about it, you can avoid those things nicely after school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

We had a mass to end the year during my 6th year too, in 2000. The students got the chance to pick the song that was played at the end of the mass. Survey sheets went around, collected by students, and after a couple of days the chosen song turned out to be... 'Smack My Bitch Up' by The Prodigy.

Says it all really.

No, they didn't let us use it.

If you don't want to be in a religious environment then don't go to a religious school

He or she probably doesn't have much say in what school they go to, don't you think?

In an ideal world, religion would not be involved in schools and people could choose at age 21 or whatever, if they wish to be one religion or no religion.

But I digress :D

--LOS-- wrote: »
    if you feel it's wrong

It is wrong, children can't get an education nowadays without being indoctrinated to a religion.

He or she probably doesn't have much say in what school they go to, don't you think?

In an ideal world, religion would not be involved in schools and people could choose at age 21 or whatever, if they wish to be one religion or no religion.

But I digress :D

You could have at least quoted everything I said :rolleyes:

Well if it effected/distressed you that much you could always move school? I don't think anyone's issue with the religious influence in schools is really that big or they would have moved already. I take the point that religion shouldn't be shoved down your throat (I'm not religious at all) but your parents, at least, do make the decision to send you to a religious school and whether you want to adopt their beliefs or not, you have to respect them.

Seachmall wrote: »
    It is wrong, children can't get an education nowadays without being indoctrinated to a religion.

Ye it is but still doesn't change what you believe in yourself, fact is you're going to have to put up with religion in your life; funerals, weddings etc, you can fight your cause and avoid all of these things or you can be happy enough in yourself knowing your own beliefs and not feeling the need to insult others to get your point across.

Well if it effected/distressed you that much you could always move school?

In my town there were 4 secondary schools, all of them were owned/run/whatever by the Church. They all had Christian teaching, same goes for the local primary schools. I assume most towns are the same, there isn't much choice.
    --LOS-- wrote:
    Ye it is but still doesn't change what you believe in yourself
    My point is Children don't get the choice, they're taught the Catholic beliefs from a very young age all the way up until they leave school.

You could have at least quoted everything I said :rolleyes:

Well if it effected/distressed you that much you could always move school? I don't think anyone's issue with the religious influence in schools is really that big or they would have moved already. I take the point that religion shouldn't be shoved down your throat (I'm not religious at all) but your parents, at least, do make the decision to send you to a religious school and whether you want to adopt their beliefs or not, you have to respect them.

Respecting others religious beliefs is one thing but having to endure a ceremony when you clearly feel uncomfortable with it?

I'm relatively comfortable myself that I can now go in Catholic Church and marvel at the beautiful art etc without getting het up about dogma and priests and all that. For me, religion is something I now have a choice in, thank goodness. I wish I'd had more choice when I was younger. Admittedly, I did end up in a non-denominational school but I still had several years of religious instruction rattling around my bonce :)

Yes they can. There are more and more multidemoninational schools springing up around the place. If you really want to avoid religion you can.

Yes they can. There are more and more multidemoninational schools springing up around the place. If you really want to avoid religion you can.

There certainly are more of these schools but unfortunately, demand for places outweighs availability...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I agree it is wrong however attendance at these events is not compulsary and if you feel really strongly about it you could always (shock horror) stay at home/boycott the Graduation ceremony/ organise your own

Its the day to day indoctrination within normal school time that people should be making an issue of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Alot of schools are founded by and run by churches these days. If your school is, then deal with it. You chose to go there and theres no point in trying to change the way it works.

I was in terenure college and we had a mass for everything. Yea, people tried to change the way things ran, but it didnt happen. Thats how they said the education should be handled, and thats that.

IMO, if you are in a school that is tied to a church, you should stfu and deal with it, so should the other 30 signatures on your list. Gets on my nerve all this religious bashing that goes on on these forums.

Otherwise if your school is not tied to a church... dont go to the mass. Its quite simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

In my town there were 4 secondary schools, all of them were owned/run/whatever by the Church.

Really? even very small towns seem to have at least one vocational school.

Respecting others religious beliefs is one thing but having to endure a ceremony when you clearly feel uncomfortable with it?

I'm relatively comfortable myself that I can now go in Catholic Church and marvel at the beautiful art etc without getting het up about dogma and priests and all that. For me, religion is something I now have a choice in, thank goodness. I wish I'd had more choice when I was younger. Admittedly, I did end up in a non-denominational school but I still had several years of religious instruction rattling around my bonce :)

I think you might be being a little over dramatic... And if you clearly feel uncomfortable with it then don't go through the Catholic education system? (which you didn't) To be honest I'm struggling to see what you're complaining about? The existence of a Catholic education system? Because nobody is forced to use it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Because nobody is forced to use it!
    Obviously you dont live in Ireland on planet earth
    red_ice wrote: »
    . Gets on my nerve all this religious bashing that goes on on these forums. .

Perhaps you should take your own advice and
    red_ice wrote: »
    stfu and deal with it.

Pittens wrote: »
    Really, even very small towns seem to have at least one vocational school.

Nope, we had the Parish school, CBS, Colaiste and another smaller Church run school. It's actually quite a large town too.

I think you might be being a little over dramatic... And if you clearly feel uncomfortable with it then don't go through the Catholic education system? (which you didn't) To be honest I'm struggling to see what you're complaining about? The existence of a Catholic education system? Because nobody is forced to use it!

I spent most of my school years under the RCC influence & was quite grateful to get out of it before it drove me mad. I realise not everyone has the same experiences at school - to some it may just be a minor irritant but it was more than that to me.

People are forced to use it when there's not enough places in the non-religious schools. Or they're forced to use it when they are sent to religious schools by domineering or shall we say - traditional - parents.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Obviously you dont live in Ireland

Obviously :rolleyes:

Sarcasm really doesn't transfer all that well over writing

My point is Children don't get the choice, they're taught the Catholic beliefs from a very young age all the way up until they leave school.

Well I was in religious schools all the way up till I started college and I still chose for myself from a very young age even though all of my family are quite religious.

I do think religious schools are a joke myself but tbh I would rather not fight it, I don't feel the need to prove my beliefs to anyone else.

Btw I do agree with you that what school you go to isn't a choice, I don't know any non catholic schools near me, unfortunately who your parents are and their subsequent beliefs isn't a choice either.

OP it's simple, just don't go if you are that against it, otherwise just don't over think it or you'll be fighting your whole way through life. If there's a funeral or something that I really have to go to, I'll go, I won't take part in the prayers or the communion or whatever but it doesn't bother me that much, I know my own beliefs at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

not every town has a wide range of schools.
    my town used to have an abbey and an convent but these joined together into a community school with a catholic ethos. if i wanted to go to a different school, i'd have an extra 40 minutes travelling in the morning and evening as opposed to 15 mins down the road. my parents (who only have one car) would be forced to drive me there every day, and collect me in the evening.
    the only multi-denominational school, i think, was the grammar school, which was fee-paying, and my parents wouldn't be able to afford that.

i didn't really have a choice in what school i went to, as some of ye posters seem to think everyone has. so i had to go to the one school in my town (which is a mid-sized town).
    i'm not complaining about it. just saying i didn't have any other school to go to.

Advertisement