Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Radio 1: Late Debate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭GSF

Ah Late Debate. It wasnt on that late and there wasnt much debate. Apart from that it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nascence

Think back to previous years and governments when shows like LD on RTE were the first to criticise the length of the Dails summer hols

Low and behold when they shorten the Dail holliers, Drivetime, LD and the like are still on the old rota and not a word said.

You really do have to admit RTE's got balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Well said Nascence.

Still only a polite acknowledgement from RTE to my complaint.

Lets see what justification (if any) they can advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I have obtained a more substantive reponse to my complaint from Tom McGuire, editor current affairs for RTE radio 1. I am sure he will not mind my pasting part of his reply here:

"The Late Debate’ is a very important element of the RTÉ Radio 1 current affairs output but the nature of the programme has always been that it is seasonal in nature. The editorial remit of the programme is to discuss the issues of the day, whether inside or outside parliament, and act as a weather vane for what might be on the current affairs agenda the following day. This often means that Dáil debates feature regularly on the programme but there never has been any formal attachment to the sitting dates of the Oireachtas."

This is interesting because apparently Late debate is NOT meant to be based on the Oireachtas sitting schedule as people think.

This does not of course address the point that Late debate has been off air for large parts of the year when there is plenty to talk about, and had filled that time slot entirely with repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Don't know whether there is a thread on this show already.
    Tonights show is about alcohol sponsorship. Anyone listening to it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

No, I'm decidedly not listening to this. In a country suffering from economic woes, it beggars belief a government keeps coming up with all these harmful to business suggestions.

What would reduction of alcohol sponsorship do to sports and festivals? It would mean most of them would either be scrapped or downsized thus reducing business for all. Drunkards and problem drinkers would drink anyway and are not influenced by adverts and sponsorship! So, it would solve nothing. Just another hardline idea by an increasingly dictatorial state? Most definitely.

The way things are, we need to be encouraging ALL types of legal business and get the people back to work. Unemployment, depression, inflation, corruption, crime, etc. are of GREATER concern to the Irish people than alcohol usage and the government should tackle these issues first.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

What happened to Late Debate tonight?

Just as the political term moves to its most interesting legislative phase, no show?

Surely they haven't decamped for the summer break, already?

Regrettably, I suspect we all know the answer.

Public broadcasting, how are you...

Gergiev wrote: »
    What happened to Late Debate tonight?

Just as the political term moves to its most interesting legislative phase, no show?

Surely they haven't decamped for the summer break, already?

Regrettably, I suspect we all know the answer.

Public broadcasting, how are you...

You took the words out of my mouth-was all set to listen tonight....documentary comes on!
    Crazy, given the political issues of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

honeybear wrote: »
    You took the words out of my mouth-was all set to listen tonight....documentary comes on!
    Crazy, given the political issues of the day.

Summer Holidays - back in October afaik

Another RTE shocker, although I vaguely remember the same thing last year.

There might have been (almost) some justification when the political season ended at the end of June, but not now when it runs for another month.

Also, because of our dysfunctional political system, a load of legislation 'concertinas up' until the end of the current session and gets 'guillotined' through with minimal debate.

Ironically, the non-license fee, commercially funded Newstalk and TV3 keep the late night, political debate flag flying while the public broadcaster treats itself to another languorous holiday, as the nation debates some of the most important issues to come before this parliament.

Pathetic...

• Advertisement

It is amazing how RTE in general shuts down for June, July and August. Now, a whole lot of stuff we do not miss (political or otherwise). And we don't need all this endless debate about this and that often but when something worthwhile actually does happen that needs review, there is nothing in the summer discussing it. Also, what tends to happen is that one topic takes over and other issues worth discussing are sidelined. I agree that stuff is rushed through the Dail at this time of year/early next season.

The government and legislation needs to act fast with regard to the Anglo Irish banksters. What needs to be done is unilateral agreement and emergency legislation to get these to justice. 99.9999% of the people want these to go to jail and give their illgotten gains back. Siphoned money, etc. resting offshore is what the Irish people have for too long being paying for.

It is time for our system to stop this stupid 'recession' and get our money back by changing the laws. Why does everything have to take so long (investigation, reports, getting them to court, etc.)? There is no time to wait. If we want our reputation and for the rest of the world to take us serious as a decent country, we need to show the world we are serious and make an example out of Drummer and co. Give em 40 years initially reduce it down then if they cooperate with regard to where the siphoned cash is. Then, give this money back to the people and reverse this bankser serving austerity dictatorship.

It is amazing how RTE in general shuts down for June, July and August. Now, a whole lot of stuff we do not miss (political or otherwise). And we don't need all this endless debate about this and that often but when something worthwhile actually does happen that needs review, there is nothing in the summer discussing it. Also, what tends to happen is that one topic takes over and other issues worth discussing are sidelined. I agree that stuff is rushed through the Dail at this time of year/early next season.

It's not that amazing when you consider that most presenters there work a 40 week year, thus having 12 weeks off.

So you end up with them having most of the summer off and then disappearing for a week or two every so often, as well.

Add in the outrageous salaries and you have the bizarre situation where the Irish public is subsidising the likes of Ryan Tubridy to go off to BBC for the summer, raise his profile and earn another packet.

Late Debate performs an important role, I believe, as it comes at a time of day when the issues can be debated in depth rather than just reported like earlier during the day.

But hey, the sun is shining and Montrose can be ever-so claustrophobic when the mercury rises...

It's not that amazing when you consider that most presenters there work a 40 week year, thus having 12 weeks off.

So you end up with them having most of the summer off and then disappearing for a week or two every so often, as well.

Add in the outrageous salaries and you have the bizarre situation where the Irish public is subsidising the likes of Ryan Tubridy to go off to BBC for the summer, raise his profile and earn another packet.

Late Debate performs an important role, I believe, as it comes at a time of day when the issues can be debated in depth rather than just reported like earlier during the day.

But hey, the sun is shining and Montrose can be ever-so claustrophobic when the mercury rises...

I'd go as far as to say less than 40 hours for a lot of them. Certainly, they have a huge team doing the donkey work and most of what they themselves do is the fun parts like presenting and meeting the people. But Tubridy and co. earning 100s of 1000s for between 15 hours for a lot of weeks and at most 40 hours per week at peak times is obscene. Plus 12 weeks off in the summer and 4 weeks off or so at Christmas.

Late Debate can provide an important role and certainly would be needed at present. The opportunity to defeat the banksters is at hand and we need everything in our power to do so. Although it should be a one sided affair and not a debate per se: no one in their right mind should condone what Anglo and their allies have done. All government people should side with the people and find ways to get back what is owed from these immediately and reverse austerity and other negative policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Excellent broadcaster and incisive interviewer in my opinion, how long before the muppets in Montrose take her away from politics and try her out on some other fluff like the Marion Finucane show ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

She is very good, concise and well prepared interviewer. She would seem a natural successor to Marian Finucane but she would probably have competition from Claire Byrne for that plum slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

She really handled a very tricky situation well the other night when a Labour politician challenged a journalist to name LPP special advisors when he was ADAMANT there had been none employed who breached the salary cap. It could have been absolute car crash stuff (given how "emotional" he was in the wake of defeat at the recent election) had the show been chaired by any of the other "talent" in the current affairs dept. As Adric says she's always well prepared and never tries to be the star of the show in any way and has also done a great job on Drivetime whenever the tedious Mary Wilson is away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Audrey Carville's last show tonight. She's moving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Audrey Carville's last show tonight. She's moving on.

Is she working on Mrs Brown's Boys as well? It seems like everybody else in RTE is..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Pity, have the Beeb snapped her up? , or is it maternity leave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Oops69 wrote: »
    Pity, have the Beeb snapped her up? , or is it maternity leave?

Hopefully she's going on to something more higher profile within RTE, but still in the political sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dublin_Horse

she is going to be on Morning Ireland next week so perhaps covering Claire Byrne who will be going on maternity leave shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

She really rescued Late Debate from a fate worse than death and gave it back a bit of dignity. Wonder who RTE will give it to now? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

washiskin wrote: »
    She really rescued Late Debate from a fate worse than death and gave it back a bit of dignity. Wonder who RTE will give it to now? :confused:
    Cormac Ó hEadhra is better than Carville imo but he already does drivetime show every weekday on RnaG

I was impressed by some of the dsinging last night though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Anyone know when the late debate is coming back on air? Is it september?

Listening to show tonight. Elaine Byrne (an academic?) was a guest on it and she was just awful. Some of her points were relevant but she put them across very poorly, imo. Haven't heard her before...will tune off if I hear her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Is this show on summer holiday?

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Is this show on summer holiday?

Yep, almost certainly...

If you read above, you'll see I've been complaining about this for the last few years.

Ridiculous this show abdicates its responsibility at the end of June to conform to the 'school holidays' ethos of RTE.

Equally ludicrous that so-many of the top presenters get to take their holidays simultaneously.

So much politically happens now during July, not to mention the outside world, like Greece, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,054 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yep, almost certainly...

If you read above, you'll see I've been complaining about this for the last few years.

Ridiculous this show abdicates its responsibility at the end of June to conform to the 'school holidays' ethos of RTE.

Equally ludicrous that so-many of the top presenters get to take their holidays simultaneously.

So much politically happens now during July, not to mention the outside world, like Greece, etc...

Radio 4 is your man if you want consistency and news.

RTE1 in what it does is good, but conforms to school year in terms of output and presenting staff by and large.

Even the MI stunt of reducing to one hour/ one presenter on Bank hols disrespects the listener and license payer.

This won't change though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

There might have been (almost) some justification when the political season ended at the end of June, but not now when it runs for another month.
    Absolutely. I thought that the programme followed the Dail calendar, but obviously not ...

It should at least follow the Dail. Carol Coleman was presenting it there lately - AFAIK she's no longer staff so I'm sure she'd welcome the extra few quid.

Advertisement