Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 FrLukeDuke

Anyone having trouble seeing any improvement in their new higher speeds? Was bumped up to 240mb recently and only get 39mb on wireless beside the router. Might try to get a new router out of them if anyone has any idea if that will remedy the problem and how to go about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

FrLukeDuke wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble seeing any improvement in their new higher speeds? Was bumped up to 240mb recently and only get 39mb on wireless beside the router. Might try to get a new router out of them if anyone has any idea if that will remedy the problem and how to go about it?

Speedtest on wifi is meaningless, too many extraneous parameters, if you have a tc7200 the wifi is apalling anyway. You need ethernet to test the max speed properly, a router with gigabit ports and a computer with a gigabit card, you also need to make sure nothing else is connected like the wife laptop sneakily downloading windows 10 in the backgroud, phones / tablets updating apps, the kids watching cat videos / popcorntime etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Right guys, thinking of leaving Virgin due to the price increase. Is Sky the best deal around at the moment? Currently paying €45-€50 a month for 120mb broadband and phone.

Sky are offering 100mb fibre, tv, and phone for €49 for 12 months and on a 12 month contract.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

How do guys get through? I call them end up getting through to the non-Irish call centre and never seems to get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Shane732 wrote: »
    How do guys get through? I call them end up getting through to the non-Irish call centre and never seems to get anywhere.

I just told them I had cancelled my account but wanted to know if there were any last minute offers. Manilla then said they'd put me through to Loyalty, which turned out to be in Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,040 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

When I spoke to them on the phone they told me that it was a 12 month contract, they would have to stand over what they said on the phone, recorded calls and all that....
    Don't rely on them sticking by their word on a phone call. I was offered a deal by someone, found out put on a much bigger package been trying to fix since. But despite being offered package (supervisor listened back and agreed) I won't be getting cheaper package offered

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nicolaed1

Before: broadband 120/10+phone=€39.99 12 months=€479.99
    after call: 240/20+phone first 4 months=€25,last eighth-€50each, total=€500 p.a. 12 months contract

Just went through live chat. Absolutely useless. Done with them now tbh.

Sky have €49 per month. And the €50 friend referral offer too (€50 cheque for you, €75 cheque for the friend), making it very good value for bb, phone and tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm not paying it and they can sing for it. Sneakily ran a cable to a neighbour a few months ago, that'll be coming down too if they don't freeze my price.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Just rang 1908, got thru to non-Irish call centre. Told the lady I wanted to cancel due to price rise. She offered me 10 euro off a month, I declined and said I wanted to speak to loyalty dept. She transferred me to loyalty, again another non- Irish person.

She offered me 10 euro discount again per month, told her Sky were offering me 49 euro per month. She came back with 6 months half price. Told her I wanted 12 months. She told me 12 months was not possible so I said I would meet her half way. She agreed and happy to get 9 months half price, 3 months full on 12 month contract.

Was paying 81 euro a month for basic tv, 120 mb & phone. Bill breakdown is 70 euro bundle and 11 euro digital & multi room. They would only give me half price on the 70 euro but not on the 11 euro. And the added the 5 euro increase. Also they upgraded me from 120 to 240 mb. Happy enough overall.

Now paying 48.50 for 9 months & 86 for 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Just rang 1908, got thru to non-Irish call centre. Told the lady I wanted to cancel due to price rise. She offered me 10 euro off a month, I declined and said I wanted to speak to loyalty dept. She transferred me to loyalty, again another non- Irish person.

She offered me 10 euro discount again per month, told her Sky were offering me 49 euro per month. She came back with 6 months half price. Told her I wanted 12 months. She told me 12 months was not possible so I said I would meet her half way. She agreed and happy to get 9 months half price, 3 months full on 12 month contract.

Was paying 81 euro a month for basic tv, 120 mb & phone. Bill breakdown is 70 euro bundle and 11 euro digital & multi room. They would only give me half price on the 70 euro but not on the 11 euro. And the added the 5 euro increase. Also they upgraded me from 120 to 240 mb. Happy enough overall.

Now paying 48.50 for 9 months & 86 for 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

I was already on half price offer from September so I wasn't sure I'd get anywhere. I didn't fancy 40 mins on the phone to manilla so I decided to try chat. Offered 10 off, then 4 months half price, I mentioned 9 month deal and the agent referred to superiors and told me I'd have to call on the phone if I wanted any better than 4 months, I really hate being on hold so I said I'd accept 6 months there and then, they checked with superiors and accepted. I got the agent to specify start date, end date, prices, and emailed the chat transcript to myself for my records. I'm happy with 6 months to have it all in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

my bundle before i called was 120mb and basic tv for 65 but i had half price on that which was due to run at the end of february.

my bundle after i called is 240mb, basic tv and phone for 80/month - 9 months half price & 3 full price.

works out the same as sky pricewise

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

my bundle before i called was 120mb and basic tv for 65 but i had half price on that which was due to run at the end of february & go full price,70.

my bundle after i called is 240mb, basic tv and phone for 80/month - 9 months half price & 3 full price.

works out the same as sky pricewise

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Success :D

This is why I love boards :D

All it took was one 20 minute call to Manilla, speaking to just one person

Scenario pretty much exactly like AOH77A. Told them I was thinking of cancelling and going to Sky for their €49 offering. They offered me €15 off for 4 months. Refused. They offered my half price for 4 months. Demanded 9 months as I saw many people getting it on boards. Was offered 6 months half price. Demanded 9 months and repeated the boards.ie spiel (had to spell it for them :D)

Longish wait, but got my 9 months half price. Defenitly only a new 12 month contract (she mentioned that at least 3 times)

So saved myself the guts of €500. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Scenario pretty much exactly like AOH77A. Told them I was thinking of cancelling and going to Sky for their €49 offering. They offered me €15 off for 4 months. Refused. They offered my half price for 4 months. Demanded 9 months as I saw many people getting it on boards. Was offered 6 months half price. Demanded 9 months and repeated the boards.ie spiel (had to spell it for them :D)

Longish wait, but got my 9 months half price. Defenitly only a new 12 month contract (she mentioned that at least 3 times)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

So I just installed my new Horizon box but I'm pretty much getting the same speeds as when I was on 120MB. I'm supposed to have been upgraded to the 240MB Broadband. On speedtest.net, I'm getting 87 Mbps download and 25 Mbps upload.

I tested it on my HTPC which is plugged in directly via LAN cable. I've only just set up the box so I've got nothing else connected to it at all (no phones, tablets, other PC's, etc.). The motherboard on it is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 which has a Realtek® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit).

Have I not been upgraded yet or is it the ethernet chip on my motherboard that is causing the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Hendrickp

Pretty much the same as Unkel's post above. Got through to manilla, got offered 4 months then 6 months and after I informed her that others are getting 9 months half price, that's what I was offered in the end. Only difference was she cut me off when she put me hold, so I had to ring back. This time I got through to an English lad in what I am assuming is the limerick office and explained what I had just been offered, so he just attached that deal to my account from his end. Delighted with this deal.

Boards.ie rules. ☺

unkel wrote: »

12 month or 18 month contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

ha ha just had a ridiculous experience - through first person and she wouldnt budge. said i can put you through to loyalty team didn't get connected to them but just another operator.

best he offered was 65 for 6 months and then rest at 80.

i said i had seen other people get better offers on boards.ie (had to spell it out) he said our website is virgin media i told him it was a forum and he was like well the offer is this.

i then said please can i be put through to loyalty or cancellation team and bang he hung up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

ha ha just had a ridiculous experience - through first person and she wouldnt budge. said i can put you through to loyalty team didn't get connected to them but just another operator.

best he offered was 65 for 6 months and then rest at 80.

i said i had seen other people get better offers on boards.ie (had to spell it out) he said our website is virgin media i told him it was a forum and he was like well the offer is this.

i then said please can i be put through to loyalty or cancellation team and bang he hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

You have to wonder the intelligence of some of the people who work on virgin customer service.they are a nightmare to deal with. Mainly the outsourced workers.
    I signed up for a new 12 month contract in Jan. 9 months half price. Be careful though as half price only applies to your bundle and not your total of what you were paying originally. So along comes my bill.a lot higher than agreed.saw I was getting charged for 2 extra multiroom boxs.I only have 1. So got em to take off 1 box off the bill. But she somehow disconnected my main tv box. I've no tv now for past 30hrs and counting in the sitting room. It's amazing how they can disconnect it with 1 click yet it takes up to 48hrs to reconnect. If I'm lucky. Farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

You have to wonder the intelligence of some of the people who work on virgin customer service.they are a nightmare to deal with. Mainly the outsourced workers.
    I signed up for a new 12 month contract in Jan. 9 months half price. Be careful though as half price only applies to your bundle and not your total of what you were paying originally. So along comes my bill.a lot higher than agreed.saw I was getting charged for 2 extra multiroom boxs.I only have 1. So got em to take off 1 box off the bill. But she somehow disconnected my main tv box. I've no tv now for past 30hrs and counting in the sitting room. It's amazing how they can disconnect it with 1 click yet it takes up to 48hrs to reconnect. If I'm lucky. Farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭brophs

Quick question. We got upgraded from 60Mbps to 240Mbps. We have the T7200 router. On my new laptop the wired speed is the full 240Mbps. On wirless it's around 100Mbps. On my old laptop it's 100Mbps wired and around 80-90Mbps wireless. I put the laptops on the table beside the router so it's not a question of distances.

I'm just wondering whether others have had any issues with the wireless speeds on this router, whether with the new packages or otherwise? If so (or not) any suggestions to improve it? I've tried using Inssider and changing the wireless channel.

Has anyone who has received one of the new routers found any difference?

Cheers.

Quick question. We got upgraded from 60Mbps to 240Mbps. We have the T7200 router. On my new laptop the wired speed is the full 240Mbps. On wirless it's around 100Mbps. On my old laptop it's 100Mbps wired and around 80-90Mbps wireless. I put the laptops on the table beside the router so it's not a question of distances.

I'm just wondering whether others have had any issues with the wireless speeds on this router, whether with the new packages or otherwise? If so (or not) any suggestions to improve it? I've tried using Inssider and changing the wireless channel.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

brophs wrote: »

Cheers.

The wifi speed depends (also) on your adapter, have a look here:

http://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

Same thing for what regards the wired speed: it is likely that your old laptop doesn't have a gigabit NIC, in that case the max achievable speed would be 100

darconio wrote: »
    The wifi speed depends (also) on your adapter, have a look here:

http://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

Same thing for what regards the wired speed: it is likely that your old laptop doesn't have a gigabit NIC, in that case the max achievable speed would be 100
    Sorry, should have clarified, I'm not surprised I can only get 100Mbps on the old laptop, merely using it for reference. I'm more surprised by the new laptop (a six month old Latitude) not being able to get any better 100Mbps wirelessly, albeit I accept that it won't be realistic to get anything like the full 240Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi everyone,

Had two phone calls with the loyalty team now, but still not the desired result!

Have 240MB Broadband and phone....no tv...

After a big rigmarole, I finally mentioned the half price for 9 months deal that has bandied about on Boards and offered to people....th girl said that only applied to customers who had TV included in their package...

Is that right?

I asked for the cancellation address then, which I got.

Should I just persevere? Is it a case of luck who people are dealing with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi everyone,

Had two phone calls with the loyalty team now, but still not the desired result!

After a big rigmarole, I finally mentioned the half price for 9 months deal that has bandied about on Boards and offered to people....th girl said that only applied to customers who had TV included in their package...

Is that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Is that right?

I did, it took 3 calls and I eventually got 6 months half price and and an upgrade from 120 to 240

Advertisement