Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks lads, i don't have a bike but I will be going to the Gym and doing rower and stationary bike work this week.
    I have the Physio appointment booked for tomorrow. Foot feels much better today. Last week it was almost at it's worst while alking around during the day in my work shoes but today there is no pain....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

menoscemo wrote: »
    Thanks lads, i don't have a bike but I will be going to the Gym and doing rower and stationary bike work this week.
    I have the Physio appointment booked for tomorrow. Foot feels much better today. Last week it was almost at it's worst while alking around during the day in my work shoes but today there is no pain....

Hopefully it is nothing too serious but best to get it checked out. I am going to do Waterford BTW so hope to see you down there, will see how the next few training runs go you never know might head out with you to target the 1.32 - 1.34 half:rolleyes:. Hope you have a speedy recovery!!

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Have a look at peroneal tendon injury on google. had it myself last year as did seanynova, was thinking stress fracture myself when i got it. 2 - 3 weeks was all it took to get right

Spot on in your diagnosis. The Physio confirmed it is a peroneal tendon injury. The good news is the it is only slightly frayed, so nothing serious. I have a few strengthening excercises to do, but have been given permission to do a few miles as early as thursday :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Spot on in your diagnosis. The Physio confirmed it is a peroneal tendon injury. The good news is the it is only slightly frayed, so nothing serious. I have a few strengthening excercises to do, but have been given permission to do a few miles as early as thursday :cool:
    Cheers, glad to hear its not too bad. Run your foot over a tennis ball few times a day, thats what seem to help me the most.

Cheers, glad to hear its not too bad. Run your foot over a tennis ball few times a day, thats what seem to help me the most.

I've been running it over golf balls and icing it since saturday. It was already probably mostly recovered as a result when I went to the physio today.

Wednesday 17th
    Gym: First time I have been there since February
    20 minutes cross trainer.
    Rower: 2k warm up, 5x500m sprints w 1 min recover, 2k warm down.
    20 minutes on the bike:

Various weights including a failed attempt at 3x 21 pressups.

Positives:I notice I can maintain a much higher effort level on the cardio machines than I used to. I kept a 250 watt average on the cross trainer (160 step/min at level 13) while barely breaking a sweat. 9 months ago 20 minutes at 200 watts was a struggle.

Negatives: I have got seriously weak. Even in the leg push machine I am well down on what I used to do. I used to be able for 50 straight pressups as well. My chest muscles are killing me today, I'll proabbly need a few more days off before attempting to complete 3 x 21 pressups again. Why oh why didn't I just start the pressup challenge at 3 x10 o 3 x 15 (instead of 3 x 20) and just build up :rolleyes: . Hopefully this pressup challenge will keep me motivated on improving strength. It's also about time I bought a bar and a bench to do some proper weights, I have been talking about it for months. I have only a month left on my gym membership and won't be renewing.

I am also 3kg up in weight since the marathon :mad:. I suspected as much but didn't bother checking. I should have known that what you eat whie doing 50 miles a week should not be the same as what you eat when doin 10-15miles a week. So no more crap until I'm back doing 50 mile weeks (though I'll probably finish off the icecream in the freezer tonight:pac:)

Thursday 18th
    5.5 miles with Aimman around Tymon with the head torch. 9 min/mile. Just easing the foot back into running. Felt fine, a little sore over the last mile or two but much better than before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

So no more crap until I'm back doing 50 mile weeks (though I'll probably finish off the icecream in the freezer tonight:pac:)

Thursday 18th
    5.5 miles with Aimman around Tymon with the head torch. 9 min/mile. Just easing the foot back into running. Felt fine, a little sore over the last mile or two but much better than before...

Good call on finishing the ice cream tonight. When I got into the car after the run, I phoned in my last voucher for the Indian Takeaway, feasted on more chillies then you could shake a fire extinguisher at! :eek:

I'm back on track with the weight management and training, seeing as we are going to be pacing buddies in Cork.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Good to hear the injury isn't too serious. A stress fracture would have seen you off for 6 weeks and it would have been difficult to preparer properly for Conn then.
    Keep eating the ice cream though. That should see me all right on race day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great, you're back out running again. :)

• Advertisement

4.5 miles tonight @7:35 pace
    Went out for just a handy run but when the first mile at 7:40 I decided to keep the pace up and do a mini tempo.
    I tend to find the little faster runs are good for shaking off the rust so hopefully this will have tat affect. I hope to do a longer and faster tempo towards the end of next week and decide from that If I am fit enough to run waterford.

Saturday 20/11
    I decided to help out at the Boards AC 5k race yesterday instead of running it. I ended up being the starter and the timekeeper. I ended up doing a mile warm up with the group despite wearing jeans a jumper and a jacket. I also got a little bit of fartlek training in the form of indoor soccer before the race :pac: Great day, spoiled by Brianderunner who forced me into double figures in terms of pints of Guinness after the race. I have to stay away from that man, he is a very bad influence and seems to have an unrivalled ability to hold his drink. While I was conked out as soon as I got home, he seems to have spent half the night up on facxebook chat ;).
    Anyway 1 miles

Sunday 21/11 I went down to Tymon the cheer on the boards team a the XC race. I as all togged out for a run myslef after the race, but in my hungover state, forgot to bring my hat and gloves. I ended up going back to the house to warm the hands up and nearly didn't get out at all.
    Finally I forced myself out this evening for an unplanned number of miles and ended up doing 9 miles @ 9:06 pace

Weekly total: 3 (and a bit runs) 20 miles

I really need to get back to serious training from next week as my t-shirts are starting to not fit. Hopefully I can hit 35 miles and then look at getting inot a proper Barcelona/connemara training plan in December.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Facebook chat at 2am. Win.

Boards A/R/T trip to last LUFC game of the season/Leeds half marathon May 2011 decided upon.

Facebook chat at 2am. Win.

Boards A/R/T trip to last LUFC game of the season/Leeds half marathon May 2011 decided upon.

Hmmm, interesting, though you'd have to pay me to watch the Leeds game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good to hear your back at it so soon.

6.8 miles this evening round tymon with Aimman and the headtorch. Highlights were getting absolutely drenched by the coldest rain ever at the start of the run and then Aimman tripping on a pile of leaves and going head first into the ditch.

I am on my second day of no sweets and chocolate in an attempt to shift these post marathon pounds. I think my body is protesting a lot as I felt very sluggish at the end of the run today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

6.8 miles this evening round tymon with Aimman and the headtorch. Highlights were getting absolutely drenched by the coldest rain ever at the start of the run and then Aimman tripping on a pile of leaves and going head first into the ditch.
    I have a mental image of this which involves Benny Hill music. :pac:

and then Aimman tripping on a pile of leaves and going head first into the ditch.

Hang on, I just want to clarify that it was a mound of slugde topped with leaves, and I did a great emergency landing by diving away from the tarmac and into the ditch for a soft landing :p
    I have a mental image of this which involves Benny Hill music. :pac:

All I was short of doing was going face first into a cowpat to top it off.:D

The rain was something else at the start of it, but made it all more enjoyable to run straight through the big puddles.

Met Brian, Aimman and RK tonight for a track session. 10 x 400m with 100 seconds rest. It's a long time since I did these and it was really tough, not least because of the wet track. The lunarracers were definately a bad idea for tonights conditions.

I had hoped to keep Brian in my sights but I only ever managed to hold onto him for the first 200m before he put the turbos on and he seemed to consistently beat me by 5 seconds a lap.

Splits were:
    86, 83, 82, 82, 85, 81, 85, 83, 84, 83. The average seems to be about 83 seconds a lap or 5:35/mile pace

With warm up and cool down the total for tonight was 5 miles.

Edit to say I just went through my garmin log and saw that the last time I did this session was back in may and my average lap was 87.2 then compared to 83.4 tonight, so I'm about 15 seconds/mile quicker. I am actually really happy with tonights session now because I ran a 20:14 5k and a 34:15 5 mile a few weeks after that previous 10 x 400m session. That means I am not in too bad shape at the moment...

Normally today would have been a rest day, especially given that my legs were in bits after last nights session. But with the added incentive of the running streak thread I decided to do a little recovery run.
    Very slow and extremely cold, but I think this run will be very beneficial, hopefully my legs will benefit from it and be right for a tempo session tomorrow night.

4 miles pace 9:40.

The legs have still been sore all day from the track session on tuesday, so I was contemplating ditching todays tempo session. When I got out this evening it was so cold that the only way to warm up was to run really fast so I decided to give it a go anyway.
    A fortnight ago I held sub 7 pace for 4 straight miles and the plan tonight was to do it for 5, but from the off that was never going to happen. My breathing felt fine (normally it goes first in these sessions) but the legs were dead. A stiff headwind for several of the miles didn't help either. In the end I was glad to hold onto any kind of pace for the full 5 miles. The splits were:
    6:58, 7:07, 7:12, 7:07, 7:07. A full 10 seconds per mile slower than a fortnight ago but I am not overly annoyed by that. I was just not as fresh as I was then.

In good news I am down about 1.5kg or 3.5 pounds since this day last week, so halfway back to normal. My diet has been so clean this week.

Total for tonight 8 miles

• Advertisement

The legs have still been sore all day from the track session on tuesday

Wouldnt be anything to do with you running reps for a sub 17.30 5k runner would it?:D

Wouldnt be anything to do with you running reps for a sub 17.30 5k runner would it?:D

Lol, he was well clear of me to be fair.
    I used to regularly do an interval session and then a tempo 2 days later. Legs are sore due to a combo of not having run 400's in about 6 months and wearing the wrong footwear on a wet and slippery track.

Lol, he was well clear of me to be fair.
    I used to regularly do an interval session and then a tempo 2 days later. Legs are sore due to a combo of not having run 400's in about 6 months and wearing the wrong footwear on a wet and slippery track.
    Brian was prob running 16min 5k reps, you were still running average 82/83 reps which is sub 17.30. Some of it is prob anerobic (and deffo well over Vo2 max) hence the considerate doms now.

Brian was prob running 16min 5k reps, you were still running average 82/83 reps which is sub 17.30. Some of it is prob anerobic (and deffo well over Vo2 max) hence the considerate doms now.

I thought I was supposed to do 400's at mile pace :o

4.75 miles at 8:53 pace.
    Was dreading this run and ended up getting out late so it was freezing. I wrapped up really well though and in the end really enjoyed it. Legs felt really good as opposed to last night. I Got some really strange looks from people standing at bus stops.

9 days in a row running now in a bid to get back in shape (though sadly I can only count 6 of them in the running streak thread). I look like possibly hitting 50 miles for the week If i can get a decent long one in tomorrow.

13.1 miles at 9:26 in the snow and Ice. After a quick reconaissance mission of the local area this morning I decided the break out the 'ice shoes' (an old pair of pegasus into which I screwed cheesegraters, bolts and the like last winter). I probably made the wrong choice as within half a mile there was very little snow coverage on the footpaths and by ballyfermot none at all. Running over concrete in 'spikes' is not a pleasant experience for my poor feet. Once I got to phoenix park the terrain was beautiful but the snow was so frech I think regular runners would have been just as good.

Anyway glad to have covered the distance despite it being really slow. Legs a bit sore now from the unusual gait of the ice shoes on concrete and tarmac.

51 miles in the last 7 calendar days now and 10 days running in a row. Tomorrow will be just a few hungove recovery miles. One more hard week of training and I should be set for the Waterford half.

3.2 miles tonight, just to keep the streak going. Very slow pace in the fresh snow. I wore the regular trainers tonight and they were fine apart from crossing roads.

weekly total: 7 runs 45 miles

5 miles @8.50/mile round Tymon with the head torch this evening. Got off work a bit early due to the weather and the snow was tipping down during the run, really enjoyed it, conditions fine.

My only issue is the knee is a bit sore today. I am probably using different muscles running in the snow so the knee is probably taking an unusual strain. Hopefully I'll get to the gym later in the week to try to strengthen up the quads.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Fair play menoscemo...I dont have to balls to brave the snow so poxy treadmill it is 4 me :mad:..Ur training seems to b going well.. Keep it up :)

Called off the planned track session tonight due to the weather. Did the intervals in the gym on the treadmill instead and at a much lower pace than last week.

10 x 400 at 15kph (6 min/mile) with 1min 30sec at 10kph between repeats. 3k warm up and 2k cool down made 11.4km in total. My longest ever threadmill run :pac:

7 miles

• Advertisement

Just realised it's not really that bad a month at 128 miles. Sort of where I was as an average before marathon training started in June. Hopefully I can get back up to the high 100's or about 40 mpw in December. That will be tough with all the festivities though.

Month|Miles
    January|112
    February|73.6
    March|117
    April|141.8
    May|155.7
    June|152
    July|201.1
    August|166
    September|215.7
    October |162.8
    November |128.2
    Total|1626.1 miles

5 miles at 9:30 pace along the canal Pathway. Conditions fine apart from corssing roads. Snow is deep in place which makes the running very heavy. Beats a tradmill though any day.

Yesterday the running streak ended at 14 days. I had a bit of a cold a tough day with work and there was a blizzard outside so I gave the running a miss for once.

Today I set a new PB. Longest consecutive time on treadmill. With all teh talk on the main forum and thawing bringing icy footpaths I went to the gym and managed to lst an hour before the machine shut itself down telling me I had reached my maximum time limit!! I took that as my cue to quit.
    I did something like 7 miles at approx 8:30 pace.

I was let down on todays group session, so I had a lie in. It was probably just as well. When I finally got to the Park, conditions were terrible. I had my home made snow spikes but the ground was a mixture of show Ice and slush and it kept giving way underfoot. You never knew what you were going to land in. It was a real recipe for breaking an ankle.
    In the end I just managed 3 painfully slow miles. The only real option was to run on the main roads but the spikes don't suit that either. I'll maybe try a few miles on roads tomorrow. Hope this stuff clears now or it will be treadmill all next week :mad:

Yesterday the running streak ended at 14 days. I had a bit of a cold a tough day with work and there was a blizzard outside so I gave the running a miss for once.

Today I set a new PB. Longest consecutive time on treadmill. With all teh talk on the main forum and thawing bringing icy footpaths I went to the gym and managed to lst an hour before the machine shut itself down telling me I had reached my maximum time limit!! I took that as my cue to quit.
    I did something like 7 miles at approx 8:30 pace.

Yeah, its annoying when the machine shuts off after the time limit. The things aren't designed for the LSRs

I Didn't get anything done yesterday. I had planned to do a few laps on the raod in an industrial estate but I had a hangover and the temps were in the minus zone giving probable icy conditions so I passed. That means last week was a very poor week: 5 runs 27 miles

Tonight I went back to the Gym and did another hour on the dreadmill. That included 10 intervals of 400m at 15.5 kph (I learned that lst weeks 15kph is not 6 min/mile). This felt really tough, much more so than it would be on a track.

Anyway total today 11.8km or 7.5miles (I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Tonight I went back to the Gym and did another hour on the dreadmill. That included 10 intervals of 400m at 15.5 kph (I learned that lst weeks 15kph is not 6 min/mile). This felt really tough, much more so than it would be on a track.

Anyway total today 11.8km or 7.5miles (I think)

6 min miling is 16.1 kmph isnt it?

6 min miling is 16.1 kmph isnt it?

Not, sure, I think it's a bit less than that. Seriously though, give me a track any day over a dreadmill.

What's the craic anyway? Are you gonna get back for waterford? There is no certainty it will go ahead by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Not, sure, I think it's a bit less than that. Seriously though, give me a track any day over a dreadmill.

What's the craic anyway? Are you gonna get back for waterford? There is no certainty it will go ahead by the way.

16.093 kmph to be exact. Waterford is a no go for me, too dodgy/expensive/awkward etc. My dads over the wknd after too. Dungarvan 10 or Raheny 5 deffo. Barcelona couldbemy next A/R/T drinking session imagine that. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Barcelona couldbemy next A/R/T drinking session imagine that. :eek:
    Going to have to be a lot of making up for lost time! :pac:

16.093 kmph to be exact. Waterford is a no go for me, too dodgy/expensive/awkward etc. My dads over the wknd after too. Dungarvan 10 or Raheny 5 deffo. Barcelona couldbemy next A/R/T drinking session imagine that. :eek:

90 seconds for 400m on a track is dead easy. 16.1kph on a treadmill seems too hard. I have a fear of running really hard on a treadmill it seems.

I am not even sure about waterford myself now. I am not going to be aggressive as I would have liked my training has been awful, very little quality and not enough miles. Half of me is hoping it gets cancelled. I'll go down if I get a free lift from Aimman though :pac:

Did nothing yesterday as I was away on a christmas work trip for the day to Brussels, though I guess you can count 40 minutes ice-skating as cross training.

Today I hit the gym again and did a kind of mini tempo. After a 10 min warm up at 11 kph, I upped the pace by 0.5 kph every 5 minutes and peaked at about 10 minutes at 13.5kph. I have to say this speed was a struggle I fell like my form goes to **** on a treadmill, I even somehow feel like I'm heel striking. I intended a bit of a cool down but was too bored at this stage and cut it short at 6 miles in just over 45 minutes.

Hoping the thaw kicks in tomorrow. I should get out for a run along the local roads as there's not much traffic on them at night.

Half of me is hoping it gets cancelled. I'll go down if I get a free lift from Aimman though :pac:

You're more then welcome to come down with me, but according to other threads, its confirmed postponed till 18th December, but I'll be away that day, I wont be able to make it. hope there are refunds. :(

**Edit, actually, its now 15th January, should be able to make it, **

Aimman wrote: »
    You're more then welcome to come down with me, but according to other threads, its confirmed postponed till 18th December, but I'll be away that day, I wont be able to make it. hope there are refunds. :(

**Edit, actually, its now 15th January, should be able to make it, **

Yep, great date. I'll definately be up for it then. It will fit perfectly into training.

Tonight I got back onto tarmac for the first time in weeks. I just did a quick lap of the industrial estate to check out the roads. Still Icy in places but there are clear paths through the icy patches where the cars have been going through. Great to have the sensation of solid ground beneath me, the pace was well up as a result with very little effort. This kind of pace is so much easier on the road than the dreadmill.

3.5 miles @ 8 min/mile.

5.1 miles easy tonight over the roads of the industrial estate. Pace 8:36.
    Quite boring surroundings. Just the fear off seeing Joyriders speeding towards me and the constant looout for ice ahead to keep me interested. Looking forward to the group run tomorrow.

• Advertisement

14 miles in the park with Digijem, RK and Clara Lara. Pace 9:50. Park is still a bit icy in places but passable. We managed to avoid rough patches for 10 miles until I inadvertenly led the group though a 1 mile muddy cross country trail just to escape stepping in a big puddle. By the end of that our feet were so wet that we were more than happy to trudge through all other icy puddles.

First decent long run since DCM, nice to do it in a group again. Hopefully I can get about 10 i tomorrow with the hangover, have to start knocking out back to back long runs. Connemara is only 16 weeks away :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Cheers for the navigation-ing today! Really enjoyed it. Enjoy your pints :D

10 miles at just over 9 min/mile. I had hoped to go a bit quicker tonight but the canal path I had planned running on was still treacherous and I nearly went on my ear as soon as I went on it. I has to get straight off and do laps of the industrial estate which still had black Ice all over it. I ended up having to run straight up the centre line of the road in many spots. Pleasantly surprised to stick out the run and complete the 10 as planned with the hangover. i had many opportunities and excuses to turn around, but I was anoying listening to the radio. Just got home, stretched and did 3 x 36 pressups so I think I deserve my chinese now :pac:

Anyway 6 runs 46.1 miles for the week

Not bad I suppose. I hope the weather forecsts are wrong though and it doesn't freeze up again next week. It was bad enough as it was this evening.

The track session was back tonight, thank god I didn't have to do this on the treadmill again. I went way faster than I ever could on a treadmill anyway and it felt way more comfortably. Met up with RK and Clara Lara and then Mithril. We did a 1.5 mile warm up at 9:10 pace then 10x 400m: 86, 87, 85, 85, 84, 83, 84, 83, 83, 83. Avergaing about 5:40 pace for the laps overall and about 5:30 for the last 4 or 5. Quite happy with that, it seemed to take much less out of me than the last time and I held the pace much more consistently than the last time (went out chasing Brian then died :pac:). 1 mile warm down at just over 9 min/mile pace.

Wore the HRM for the first time in months mst of the reps maxed out at about 175 though I got up as high as 178 for the last one.

Overall 5 miles in 38:30 (7:44 av Pace)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Jaybus...With all the mileage it's just as well you cleared TK Maxx out of all those cheap LunarGlides ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement