Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Any advice guys?

In a modern well insulated room 6kw would be fine. Old house and room with perhaps 3 badly insulated outside walls, poor windows, poorly insulated attic and lots of doors off it, then perhaps not. Stove sellers usually give good advice on these things when shopping around.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Thanks for the replies guys. The house is 13 years old, the room has 2 external walls and these have been pumped with bead insulation in the past 2 years. Thinking of going for the Stanley Oisin stove

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Compare it with the baby Gabryel in every aspect, price, looks, (air wash ;) ) sometimes copies are better than the original.

moonshadow wrote: »
    Compare it with the baby Gabryel in every aspect, price, looks, (air wash ;) ) sometimes copies are better than the original.

Just had a quick google of that, it's Bout €100 cheaper alright but it's only 4kw, would that not be a bit on the small side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

http://cosystovesireland.com/stove-calculator/
    Do the sums. I've a similar size room.

• Advertisement

moonshadow wrote: »
    http://cosystovesireland.com/stove-calculator/
    Do the sums. I've a similar size room.

Thanks very much for that. I only actually need around 3kw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Galego

I have a 6k insert in the living room but never use it at full output otherwise it will have the room over 30 degrees........I do not use mine to heat any other rooms rather than where it sits.

Galego wrote: »
    I have a 6k insert in the living room but never use it at full output otherwise it will have the room over 30 degrees........I do not use mine to heat any other rooms rather than where it sits.

I'm only planning on using it to heat one room but was thinking it'd be handy to be able to leave the doors open and let the heat around the house. That's why I'm still leaning towards the slightly bigger stove

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

fifib wrote: »
    anyone got any of the Thorma stoves? would love to hear reviews on them

Thorma Stoves are new enough. Abstract enough designs compared to the traditional looking stoves. Burns very clear and air wash is exceptional in the woodburners. We have been getting a lot of queries about them in store so if you need any specific information feel free to send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Thanks very much for that. I only actually need around 3kw

If you put in a 3kw stove I guarantee you'd be disappointed with it. 5kw would be the absolute minimum you should go for. The Oisin is grand, Im not a big fan of the tiny firebox however, can be quite irritating when re-fueling. Have a look at the Mazona Olive. 6kw with a massive glass front and large firebox, and will be a cheaper alternative to the over priced Stanley too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

I have a 3 bedroom dormer. Approx 10 radiators.
    Currently there is an open fire with a back boiler. I also have oil heating with Firebird Popular 90 boiler.
    I would like to get a stove for living area.

What is best option and more economical, freestanding stove or one with a backboiler?

If I go with a backboiler one, I have been told that to maintain existing brickwork around fireplace, I would need to cut out existing back boiler.

The way I see it it, I think that I would be better off putting one with a back boiler in as I will get more benefit, rather than one that just heats the living room.

Would appreciate any opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bigdawg

I'm only planning on using it to heat one room but was thinking it'd be handy to be able to leave the doors open and let the heat around the house. That's why I'm still leaning towards the slightly bigger stove

Dont make the error of underheating the room. You can always run a smaller fire in a 6kwh stove during the shoulder seasons but if it gets cold, and you only have 4kwh max, then you have no way of scaling up short of turning on rads in there which defeats the whole purpose. I have a similar sized room with 2 external walls and i used to have an Oisin 6kwh in there and it did the trick very well. However, that Mazona that was recommended was well worth checking.

Thorma Stoves are new enough. Abstract enough designs compared to the traditional looking stoves. Burns very clear and air wash is exceptional in the woodburners. We have been getting a lot of queries about them in store so if you need any specific information feel free to send me a PM.

RealMcCoy: I have sent you a PM....tks

beatle wrote: »
    Stove not heating room well!!

We have had a Hunter Herald 8 flat top installed over 5 years but as we didn't live in the house the first couple of years ourselves we didn't realise how badly it performs (if we did we would have asked shop/installers to come back out to have a look at it and we can't now as the shop is gone).

The draft is generally good but you could keep holding your hand on the top of it without burning your hand and the heat output is minimal even with a blazing fire. It is not connected to radiators but should be warming the room only.
    Sometimes it also lets out smoke when we open the door to put in more timber or nuggets.

Do you think that it is not installed properly, or is it a really bad stove that we would be better off trying to change for another model?

We have a much cheaper and smaller Chinese make stove in another room in the house which is soooo much better as the heat output is very good and the stove itself heats up really well (compared to the hunter stove that I could sit on top of without burning!).

Any ideas of how to fix this, or have other people had similar experiences with this stove?

PS. we have had to change the throat plate as the original one broke, and replaced it with a metal plate

Whilst puff downs and smoke have more to do with the chimney and draw than the stove (in my experience), i saw quite a few reviews of Herald stoves on whatstove.co.uk (i havent the correct link) which referred to smokiness when opened. Worth taking a look. On the issue of poor room heat - being a dry stove, it should be hot to touch certainly. So its down to stove or system set up (chimney, draw, height of chimney, cowl, etc etc). Seek advice of professional that knows his stuff.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    How long would it take most people's stoves to start chucking out heat?

Is there much difference in time between free standing v insert?

Would many leave it burning all night? I'd be a bit wary (with no good reason really), so just wondering if you come down in morning to freezing kitchen/diner how long before it heats up?

Be careful here. There are some boiler stoves out there that divert so much heat to the water first that it takes them a good couple of hours (When the water is up to temp) before they start giving it out to the room. If they state 4k or 6k to room, it might only be 2k for the early part as the boiler stove is busy doing its job of heating water.

Free standing seem to be better room heaters all things being equal but plenty on this board report good results to the room with inserts. However, if in doubt....

I personally don't get the overnight burning thing. I can see several disadvantages and only a few advantages. Cons: you will generally be 'smoking' the chamber and flu as the stove is only running at 20% or so - not recommended and will lead to ash and tar build up and all that it entails. Wasting fuel when you are under the covers fast asleep. Firebox may be hot in the morning - when are you (or your wife) going to safely remove the ashes? And last but not least, grate never gets a chance to contract and will probably burn out quicker. Advantages: your fire is lighting when you get up in the morning and the room is kept warm overnight. Well, starting a fire again is all of 5 mins work. And secondly, if the stove burnt out at say 1.00 or 2.00am, you'd have residual room heat until about 8am if your house was reasonably well insulated.

I just don't get the overnighting thing obviously....

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Looking for advice please on getting a back boiler stove fitted to our home. Currently we are going to be getting the house renovated over the coming weeks and we are thinking of getting a back boiler stove fitted but we may have an issue as our system is a sealed system so I've been told. Any advice would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭mrtom

Thought appreciated on steel v cast iron stoves. I get the heat retention properties of cast iron, what else should I be aware of in making my decision on a 6K stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Looking for advice please on getting a back boiler stove fitted to our home. Currently we are going to be getting the house renovated over the coming weeks and we are thinking of getting a back boiler stove fitted but we may have an issue as our system is a sealed system so I've been told. Any advice would be great.

I think a heat genie is what you need to overcome that.

Heat%20Genie%20Poster.jpg

PS Sorry, I see the image is a little on the large size when posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 arbf1

I am back looking for bit of advice on the best freestanding boiler stove to heat 8 double rads, hot water and a room 13ft x 16ft. I have double doors to small kitchen 10 ft x 8ft and single door to hallway which could be left open if room became too hot, room heat is very important in my search. House is 2 bed with 2 further bedrooms on an attic conversion. What is the best on the market for this? Currently have ineffective back boiler and oil. Would greatly appreciate any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Hi we are redoing the plumbing and heating in a 1990 house and looking to install back boiler stove would you recommend a make and model. 4 bed house large Sitting room and large open plan kitchen come living area. Used Dimplex stoves before but open to suggestions. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

pippip wrote: »

Heat%20Genie%20Poster.jpg

Has anyone on here got experience using this interlink setup?

I'm going to do similar myself in the new year with a sealed gas system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The lips wrote: »
    Has anyone on here got experience using this interlink setup?

I'm going to do similar myself in the new year with a sealed gas system.

I'd rather use the firebird system than heat genie. Much safer

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Hi Guys I have calculated the BTU for Downstairs- 105000 and upstairs- 50000. The rads look decent enough in place size wise even though they are 20 years old. the old exposed pipe work is copper going to the rads but vandalised and removed wherever it was possible!

I am reinstating this and fitting a new cylinder and oil boiler high efficiency. I am thinking of along the lines of future proofing and putting a large stainless steel cylinder taking 4 elements- emersion,oil back boiler, multi fuel back boiler stove and future proofing for photo voltaic solar panels.

I am not sure what size stove to put in as the btu required for that open plan room is 42000BtU.

Any suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

Hi every one, i bought riva 55 stove it says wood burning on the box got installed by professional last week , with metal flue liner . but i can hear wind noise from the stove. When i lit the fire on open the primary air inlet it blaze fire so fast and look like it will explode its like cooking fire with huge noise. also when i open to put some more wood some ash always fly in house .
    Lastly can i use coal in this fire place??
    Also glass is gone black even burning dry wood?
    Any help will be appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'd rather use the firebird system than heat genie. Much safer

In what way. Please explain.

sky6 wrote: »
    In what way. Please explain.

Basically I don't trust the so called safety features if it. I don't like the pump on the gravity circuit and what happens if the cooling loop valve seizes over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kerryplumber

Basically I don't trust the so called safety features if it. I don't like the pump on the gravity circuit and what happens if the cooling loop valve seizes over time?

It expands into the expansion tank. There is no restriction on the expansion side.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kerryplumber

It expands into the expansion tank. There is no restriction on the expansion side.

Yes but what absorbs the heat? No cylinder or heat sink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Just a quick update which people might find useful - I mentioned on here a few weeks ago about smoke coming out of stove door and vents when windy - a change of cowl to a H cowl prevents the downdraft and has sorted it. Stove works fine now.

We installed a Mazona Olive 6kw room heater. I've seen a couple of people mention it here recently, so I'll give my feedback on it having used it for a month or so now.

I'm not sure where the Mazona name comes from (importer maybe?) but the stove is made by Evergreen in China and instruction manual etc is Evergreen branded. We have burned nothing but dried softwood timber so far in it and the heat output is great. The stove vents control the flame very well and it is a pudding to light, either with kindling or firelighters, it really is no hassle. Lights best with door open an inch until kindling is alight. Firebox is surprisingly large for the compact size of the stove and the big glass in the door makes viewing great too :)

We are delighted with it so far and couldn't recommend it highly enough for the money. The supplier we bought it from says parts are not an issue, and he has door glass, grates etc in stock.

If anyone is considering one of these, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, based on my own experience so far.

Cheers
    Sumo12

Advertisement