Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads

Options
  • 08-05-2016 10:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Starting this really to be accountable to myself in general and in advance of the DCM come October. I'm following the novice thread, which is great.

Background

I got into running in 2011 thanks to C25K (via boards). I moved to 10k and generally kept that going. Personal stuff reduced my interest in running quite a bit during 2014 and I fell back to 5k. I was injured a few weeks ago and revisited my GP earlier this week to get the all clear. That's now out of the way and I'm OK to resume running, yay.

The story, so far.

May 6th: As per my GP's advice, I ran 1.25km nice and easy to get back on the horse. Happy camper.
    May 8th: I have written up a few notes based on the novice thread. I'm going to carry around a notebook in my bag I bring to work in case I think of anything. I hate writing notes in my phone. :P Also I emailed someone I was talking to before as she was training for the Manchester marathon. Want to see how she got on.

Hi, log sub-forum. Bed time shortly, talk soon.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just dumping a few bullet points at the start here with things I'll need to come back to again and again.
    Expectations/Challenges
    It’ll be hard
    Need a reasonable level of fitness

General advice
    Run slowly, slowly…
    Already run 3-4 times per week
    Longer runs at the weekend
    Listen to your body

Keeping this post from nop98 to revisit http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99632434&postcount=160

Possible barriers
    Head
    Procrastination
    Laziness
    Apathy

Motivation

A fit TBO is a happy TBO.

Practical stuff
    Ditch the earphones
    Runners - grand
    Socks – low profile OK re blisters?

Plan, Ted
    Hal Hagdon Novice 1
    Try not to miss runs. Don’t make up for lost days

Logging mileage, etc

Reading the new posts in the novice thread, caught the link on stretching - need to have a read, particularly as I fairly passive about doing it.

Also, time to dust off the bike, methinks. It's been about 6 months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Out for a cycle earlier, 14km. Moderate hill out the way out, long enough downhill on the return at one point, so pretty easy from that perspective. Stopped at a castle. Was overtaken by a few speeding bullet type cyclists. Also, an out of service Dublin Bus bus vehicle was on a short cut back to town. Passed a field where a kid appeared to have what looked a drone. Got home, returned the bike. Sun was pretty much gone, was a little chilly. Out for a very short run, as per doctor's instructions. Cold hands after a I got back, as in, almost too cold to type. Digits were a little stiff. Similar to when I was trying to count tokens at Park Run a while ago. Left the electronic device and earphones at home.

The cat decided to lick the back of my bare legs earlier. First time for everything...

Tune of the day: Yusuf Islam - Don't Be Shy

Oops. Neglected this.

My recap of Dublin marathon training can be found here and race report here.

Yesterday and today was fitness assessment time at the gym. Used some machines (with guidance), tiring! Warmed up on the treadmill and cross trainer. Treadmill pace (first run since DCM) was probably too fast, certainly compared to how I run outdoors - remember the early DCM advice we got about slowing down? Yep. Shoulder press machine was OK, the other one I forget the name, but you pull yourself up and bring your chin up to the bars. Felt a bit faint after 2 x 12 that so took it easy for a few minutes. Obviously I now dislike that machine intensely. :P I'm too lightweight for a decent amount of press ups. Quite hungry after this session.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Saw the date on the first post and wonderdd how come I hadn't seen this
    log before, four posts in I realised why, The best of luck with the log TBO, I,m hope the updates will become a little more regular:D

I Hate those upper body strength routines too, I've runners arms , they are not build to be lifting anything heavier than a pint.

Pull up machine, now I say it it's obvious. Bit sore today owing to not being used to upper body work outs. Gym is closed for a few days next week, chance to swim or do something else, or some of the routines at home.

• Advertisement

Tues - 5k
    Weds - 5k
    Sat - Soft park run, 32:57. Gym - remembered most of the exercises, didn't do them all. They were split over two days when the instructor showed them to me. Some new machines have been installed. Mostly middle aged folks at the gym. Weighed myself for the first time in years. Hoping to do a Scottish park run next weekend.

No gym work this week.

Tues - 5k, forgot my belt
    Weds - 5k, left my watch in the car...this forgetting thing is becoming a habit.
    Thurs - 5k, first time I noticed a crane near where I live, not sure what it's being used for.
    Sat TBC - Park run in Scotland, their pics from last week are pretty frosty underfoot. Have mailed them to expect a visitor from Dublin. ;) Looking at their future roster, it appears they're not holding a run on the 24th of December, whereas Malahide is, interesting.

Saturday - Portobello park run, Scotland. It's basically 3 loops of the same track. Surrounded by residential properties, so not as idyllic on the outside as others, but still Autumnal and icy. No water afterwards, their signs about tokens, etc, were more highlighted and some of their equipment looked fairly new. They had signs for sub-24, sub-26 and sub-30 at the start, for crowd control, I'd say. As with last week, I ran with no particular time in mind. Oh, couple of 250 t-shirts out there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

No gym work this week.

Tues - 5k, forgot my belt
    Weds - 5k, left my watch in the car...this forgetting thing is becoming a habit.
    Thurs - 5k, first time I noticed a crane near where I live, not sure what it's being used for.
    Sat TBC - Park run in Scotland, their pics from last week are pretty frosty underfoot. Have mailed them to expect a visitor from Dublin. ;) Looking at their future roster, it appears they're not holding a run on the 24th of December, whereas Malahide is, interesting.

Only finding this now. Love those random running thoughts. I noticed a house on the route I have run 100s of times for the first time last week. I swear it wasn't there before!

Must start on some strength work.

Taking the night off edit a job application.

• Advertisement

Tues - 3mi after work, 9:57min/mi
    Weds - Job application tinkering
    Thurs - Job application sent in. Gym session, treadmill I just find tedious, tbh. Might start bringing headphones and such for that side of things. There's one of the abdominal machines I quite like - perhaps I need to increase the setting, though.
    Sat - Jingle Bells 5k, time 26:02 - full spiel here.

Onwards with a graduate plan...don't really understand it (yet), so will follow up in the main thread. Off the research strength and conditioning again.

6/12

Early for work, 3x12 squats.

Same set of squats before my run. May as well. :) Finally some progress in work this week, so January will be good - I hope.

3.38 mi at 9.44 avg pace, time 32:51

7/12

3x12 squats, twice.

6 miles. 9:47 min/mi, time: 58:47.

Bit rusty around mile 4-5, but otherwise OK. Couple of other runners out and about, all of us fairly high vis.

Probably 3 tomorrow and might try 8 on Saturday.

8/12

3x12 squats
    3x12 abdominal machine
    Couple more 3x12 other yolks, can't remember the names of them, tbh.:P Touch your knees, etc.

3 mi on the treadmill (yawn). Took the Garmin as I wanted it to give me an idea of pace because the machines are in km. Scratch that as the watch didn't want to know when it knew I was wonders. Don't know what it is about the gym on Thursday that contains people who make LOUD NOISES!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

8/12

3x12 squats
    3x12 abdominal machine
    Couple more 3x12 other yolks, can't remember the names of them, tbh.:P Touch your knees, etc.

3 mi on the treadmill (yawn). Took the Garmin as I wanted it to give me an idea of pace because the machines are in km. Scratch that as the watch didn't want to know when it knew I was wonders. Don't know what it is about the gym on Thursday that contains people who make LOUD NOISES!!

Those 3 x 12 other yokes are a killer B :P.

Friday, 9/12

3x12 squats

Saturday, 10/12

3x12 squats, twice

8 miles at 11:12. Disgusted at the number of McDonalds cartons in the ditch. :mad: Decent morning, quiet in terms of other runners. Was chased by 2 dogs. Fair few crows on the telegraph poles, thought Alfred Hitchcock was going to jump in front of me any second. :pac:

Sunday, 11/12

Bike and cross warm up, 10 and 15 minutes, respectively.

3x12 squats
    3x12 abdominal machine
    3x12 of a few others - always one I forget.

Time to start planning ahead for Myles's plan.

Based on my Jingle Bells 5k of 26:02, these are the paces I gleaned from the calculator, for the Base Plan.

Very easy 13:06 - 12:13
    Easy 12:09 - 11:44
    Moderate 10:39 - 10:21
    MP 9:34
    Threshold 9:04 - 8:51
    Tempo 9:32 - 9:17
    Aerobic Power 8:17 - 8:07

Have printed them out, should put them into my phone too.

Week 1, Day 1 of BP

3x12 squat (twice)
    10 minutes warm up
    45 minutes, 3.4 miles at 13.18 min/mi, on average.

Took a little bit of getting used to the slower paces - applying them consistently, so Garmin average has me as slightly slower than 'very easy', grr.

Didn't get to the gym this week with everything going on, family Kris Kindle was yesterday. Threw in the 3x12 squats where I was able to. Mindful of BG's recent post on strength and conditioning, changing routine and not sticking with the same thing for weeks and weeks at a time.

Tues 13/12

45 minutes, very easy
    3.4 miles, at 13:18

Weds 14/12

60 minutes, easy to MP
    6.03 miles, at 9:59

Thurs 15/12

45 minutes, very easy
    3.64 miles, at 12:24

Sat 17/12

40 minutes, easy
    3.22 miles at 12:26
    Did the 10 x 100m strides too

Sun 18/12

90 minutes, easy
    7.04 miles, at 12:47

Happy enough with the week as a whole, bar Weds. Right calf area felt a little iffy around 35 minutes in. Seemed to improve a little about 5 minutes later. Last 10 minutes of the run itself were a bit of a slog, tbh. Head/brain was not happy. I was frustrated at myself a little wondering if I could keep up the running after work thing. I don't typically start until 5:40pm and didn't get home until about 8:45 last Weds, was hungry!

No blisters since my time training for DCM - haven't changed runners or anything. Will see how things go. Anyway, that's week 1 of Myles Splitz's plan done.

Into Christmas week shortly, have prepared the stuffing, but still have shopping to do...

Had to stand in for my boss and go to a meeting a short notice today. Parking in Jervis costs a bit. Plan B meant going to the gym rather than running after work, didn't get there until 7. Debated cutting corners and doing a short spell, but stuck to the plan.

45 minutes on the treadmill wasn't too bad, actually. Perhaps as there were people to my left and their pounding was useful as an audio distraction. Made the time go a little quicker. I tried to convert the pace on my phone before going into the gym as the equipment is obviously in metric. 5.86km at 7.9km or 3.64 miles at 12:13 min/mi in old money.

3x12 squats, twice
    3x12 abdominal
    3x12 touch your knees
    And one or two others...I'm bad at names.

M50 seemed decent this morning, for once.

Night, all.

Weds 21/12

45 minutes, moderate (well, @11 - slower than required :rolleyes:)
    4.11 miles after work. Was a little chilly out. Very happy with the run.

Thurs 22/12

Went to the gym at about 8pm. 45 minutes on the treadmill. 3.64 miles at 12:13 min/mi, very easy. S&C stuff afterwards. Gym seemed to be winding down at 10pm, thought they stayed open until 11 - that's factoring in their Christmas schedule, apparently not.

Final bit of Christmas shopping out of the way, it wasn't too bad - only getting busy as I was leaving. Have stuff to wrap. Just checking out the forecast for the weekend now...

• Advertisement

Christmas Eve

40 minutes at easy, plus 5 at threshold.
    3.93 miles.

Decent enough morning out there. Sun started to come through. Not too cold.

Unable to put the out of office on my work email yet, waiting on one person. :mad: Going to break open the cheeseboard tonight.

Christmas Day

90 minutes, easy
    7.56 miles

Week 2 of the Base Plan done and dusted. Told a few people my intention was to run 10 marathons and retire in my mid 40s. :pac:

Pleasant morning out there, overcast - fairly typical for this part of the world. We got away unscathed from Storm Barbara, just some dirt and a few twigs. Saw a pheasant zip across the road, car ahead of me slowed down for it. Think the runners are starting to lose their gel factor. 2 other runners are a few dog walkers out and about.

In work they make mince pies in the canteen - I've bought a few that'll be for after the turkey, etc.

Happy Christmas. :D

Week 3, Base Plan

Mon 26/12

Rest/entertained the dog

Tues 27/12

60 minutes, very easy
    4.78 miles

Perhaps the coldest spell out there for an early run. Felt nice and fresh. Strange how only a day or two after Christmas that the feeling of Christmas starts to dissipate. Not that this is a bad thing. I've avoided the shops, though. Will try the gym tomorrow, if I can.

Weds 28/12

Can finally put out of office on my work email...

60 minutes, easy to MP
    6.26 miles

Took about 15 minutes for my hands to warm up, was pretty cold tonight.

Minor observations:

Dead rat on the side of the road
    Buzz from an ESB pole
    Toenails clipped...post-run :o

Thurs 29/12

60 minutes, very easy
    4.87 miles

S&C in the gym. Busy enough here - post-pudding/turkey workouts? Saw a few folks using the rowing machine incorrectly, I think.

Fri 30/12

Gym: S&C. Again, pretty busy like Thursday.

Sat 31/12

50 min mix (9 min easy/1 min hard)
    4.65 miles

Watched some of Jools Holland last night.

Sun 1/1

1 hour 45 minutes, easy
    8.83 miles, at 11:54

Signing off on week 3 with my first run of 2017. Roads were quiet enough, not many cars about. A little bit cold out there and some wind too, decent bit of sun came out to play around the hour mark. Happy with proceedings, so far.

Base Plan

Week 1: 23.33 miles
    Week 2: 22.88 miles
    Week 3: 29.39 miles

Keep well for 2017, folks. :cool:

Tues 3/1

60 minutes, very easy
    4.73 miles, at 12:42

Cool enough evening for it, fair few folks out and about locally. Went on a back road that I normally only visit during daylight. Spooky without street lighting at night. Head torch!

Weds 4/1
    55 minutes, moderate
    5.18 miles, at 10:39

Radio interview for work. :eek:

Didn't get home until after 9pm. Bad accident on the M50, someone lost their life. Put things in perspective.

Thurs 5/1
    60 minutes, very easy
    4.85 miles, at 12:22

Plus gym.

Friday 6/1

Gym

Sat 7/1

50 minutes, easy - last 5 minutes at Threshold
    4.35 miles, at 11:31

Sun 8/1

1 hour 45 minutes, easy
    8.85 miles, at 11:59

Grand morning for it. Dull, temperature not too low I felt a little warm towards the end. Few specs of rain around 75 minutes in. A few friendly nods and hellos. Saw a couple running with their Dalmatian. Went past a house with a Great Dane, impressive looking.

Umpteen attempts to the sync the watch this afternoon. :mad:

Base Plan

Week 1: 23.33 miles
    Week 2: 22.88 miles
    Week 3: 29.39 miles
    Week 4: 27.96 miles

Tues 10/1

2 hours commuting home. M50. :mad:

60 minutes, very easy
    4.78 miles, at 12:34

Weds 11/1

Cooollllld.

70 minutes, easy to MP
    7.27 miles, at 9:42

Thurs 12/1

60 minutes, very easy
    4.74 miles, at 12:40

Friday 13/1

Gym

Sat 14/1

50 minutes, easy

4.10 miles, at 12:17
    *Plus 4x200m at 5k effort

Frosty paths, bit of nip in the air, but the sun started to come through. Couple of lads out hunting (with guns) and dogs. Later on I had my own dog problem. Ran up past this lab who started jumping on me, slowed me down a little and kept after me. It had a collar and something else around its neck. Very friendly and excitable dog. I had to divert from my normal route because there was no sign of the owner and I didn't want to risk bringing the dog close to the main Skerries road which can be pretty busy. Turned around, it started to follow me, but fortunately it didn't catch up. Once I turned the corner I knew I was away from it.

*Finished the 50 minutes. Changed the watch over the km for the 200m, not realising it would also adjust the pace to km. Probably should have asked in the main thread about my 5k pace, so I did this by feel. Not sure how to convey the Garmin info to make it useful to interpret...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Changed the watch over the km for the 200m, not realising it would also adjust the pace to km. Probably should have asked in the main thread about my 5k pace, so I did this by feel. Not sure how to convey the Garmin info to make it useful to interpret...

I just run for about 40secs and then hit lap. Similar type of workout with none of the stress :)

Advertisement