Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

DCM: Finishing Time: 3:21:19

It's the middle of the night but after a few hours sleep I got hungry so I'm up and have some peace and quiet so might as well get this done now. Delighted to see everyone got through it and looking forward to seeing the reports rolling in over the next few days.

Pre-Race
    Training went well, very well. Followed P&D 55 very loosely, aiming to hit the target mileage each week but swapping out sessions for either club sessions or no sessions as I saw fit. The LT workouts were largely replaced with 3x10 mins and did only about 2 of the VO2 max workouts in total. Only completed a single 10k prep race. Had planned on doing Charleville but was leaving it until the last minute and missed on the entry. Only real blip came in weeks 10 (20 miles total where I was sick for a few days early in the week) and 11 (12 miles total, when I moved house and was just too tired). In hindsight this may have been a good thing. Got back on track pretty quickly and got in 3 x 20 mile runs from there. Taper went well until the last week where a sick baby played havoc with sleep and my chest and I started getting wheezy and phlegmy although I went back using my inhalers to help stave it off. Thankfully it never got too bad and although it did affect confidence a little overall I was happy enough heading up to Dublin on Saturday morning with that the only thing really running through my mind.
    Got to the expo around 1, didn’t spend long there and headed back to the friends house I was staying in for a very easy day with the feet up. Grabbed a bit of dinner around 5 and then back for some more feet up time before an early night around 9ish. Managed a good nights sleep, woke a few times but nodded back pretty easily. Race morning, usual breakfast of porridge and off I went. Organisation of bag drop etc was great, had no bother getting about and ran into a few clubmates and the chats helped ease the tension. Off to the pen about 20 minutes before the start and was a little surprised at how close the 3,3:10 and 3:20 pacers were and the amount of space in the pen. Anyway lined up besides the 3:20 pacers with the plan to stay just ahead of them and out of the extra traffic, ease into the race and see how I felt after a few miles and adjust as necessary.

Race
    Miles 1,2,3: (7:38, 7:07, 7:25)
    As expected pretty congested for the 1st mile or so and was in no particular rush, 3:20 pacer came past me at some stage and I just ignored in and carried on. Ran into a sub-3 club mate who was slumming it back there with me and said his pacers were gone too quick and he just let them go, loads of time to catch them once the road freed out and no point chasing a target mile pace early on. Once we got down to the quays it had spread out enough that congestion was no longer a problem and it never entered into my head again for the remainder of the race. Mile 2 was the first time I glanced at the watch and pulled back the pace a little, up through Smithfield and to the first water station with no issues. Only thing I found a little hard was how uneven everyone was running pace wise, I had expected a group to form fairly quickly but there was lots of yo-yoing for the entire race really.

Miles 4,5,6,7,8: (7:29, 7:35, 7:35,7:26,7:21)
    Nothing to report here, dropped the pace a little up Chesterfield avenue with the minor drags, Took the first gel as planned at mile 5. Very comfortable bar the need to pee but decided to hang on until I got back to the park.

Miles 9,10,11,12,13: (7:50, 7:07, 7:24,7:20), (1/2 split 1:38:01)
    Very little to report again. Call of nature on mile 9 but pace picked up a little as I came down the hill and probably should have controlled this a little better. Felt good through this section (gel 2 at mile 10 and it was nice to get the mental check points of feeling good at 10M and ½ way. ½ Split was a little ahead of target but still fine.

Miles 14,15,16 (7:34, 7:28, 7:24)
    My first mini blip of the day came on the drag up through Crumlin, the long wide straight road just seemed to go on for ever and felt a little thirsty. Got mildly irritated at the lack of water on mile 15 as I was planning on taking a gel and had to hold onto it for a lot longer than I wanted to. But legs came around again here and suddenly felt good again, Nice thing was at this point the miles seemed to be ticking along fairly quickly and I was often surprised to see the mile markers coming so soon. Eventually got the 3rd gel in and was back cruising again

Miles 17, 18, 19 ,20: (7:27,7:26,7:23,7:23)
    Again all ok here, stomach was churning a little bit as wasn’t really fancying another gel so grabbed some jelly beans and took them instead. Tried some Lucozade sport at water station, which was a bad idea as took 1 mouthful of the stuff and spat it out, should have stayed with the water. All things said though got to 20 miles and was mentally and physically in a good place, on pace, no cramps, feeling in control. Only 6ish miles to go.

Miles 21,22 (7:25,7:42)
    The drag up Clonskeagh was fine, Roebuck road was harder but I was happy to let the pace drop a little and I was stronger than all those around me, passed a good few runners along here. Felt fine bar had stopped religiously taking on water and only got a small bit of a gel into me around mile 21.

Mile 23,24,25 (8:51,7:51,8:35)
    22.5 mile in, just passing the Fosters Avenue gate I went bang, from no-where with no obvious warning. Got a really bad stitch and tried to run through it for 30s but needed to stop. Stopped and walked for about a minute, pressing fingers into my side to try to alleviate the stitch. Noticed I was hyperventilating a bit so just relaxed and eventually got going again. No harm done though, forgot (a) goal of 3:15 and just said get home at LSR pace (8:00 from here), knew if I got home in anything like that it would have been a good day. The death shuffle had begun, Mile 24 was actually fine as I shuffled along ok, head down just get home, you can keep this going, 2 miles to go. Mile 25 I was at the limit, didn’t feel well and succumbed to walk break #2 along here for about 30 seconds. Still though just a mile to go. People starting to stream past me now.
    Mile 26 and a bit (9:22,2:47 (8:15 pace))
    This was hell, 2 walk breaks required, at the time I was beating myself up saying you don’t need to stop but in hindsight I did. Still though kept moving forward. 3:20 pacers came past and the though entered my head of sticking with them for all of about 2 seconds. Support was both great and annoying along here, I had my head down and in a world of pain. No cramps etc just at and beyond my physical limit. Once I saw the finish line, it eased a bit and I just kept going. Passed a poor guy who stopped at the barriers with about 400m to go, he attempted to get going again and promptly collapsed in a heap, this made my pain seem ok.

Post-Race:
    Delighted with the time but didn’t think too much about it as I went into survival mode. Picked up the t-shirt and race pack, felt absolutely awful, just sick to my stomach and was shaking. Thought it would pass but in reality I was pretty damn close to needing aid (in fact I probably did). Ran into the OH and picked up the bag saying to myself I’ll have some water and that flapjack but couldn’t even look at food. Got a quick massage on the calves more-so as I really need to sit down (Big thanks to the volunteers). Essentially put on a brave face to the OH saying I was ok but we might go back to the house for a lie down, she was saying no you need food etc so we went to O’Briens where I sat down and ate a half of a single square of a snack bar. She eventually relented and we walked a bit until we got a taxi, back to the house and as soon as I lid down (before sleep) I felt better. Had a nap for an unknown period of time (1-2 hours) and woke up feeling much better and was able to take some water. Few hours later managed a cup of tea and a biscuit and started feeling much better. There was simply no way I was in state to make it to McGrattans so apologies for missing out on meeting up with people. Hung around for a few hours and headed towards home, glad of my chauffeur and getting my first actual food into me around 6pm.

Summary:
    Delighted with the whole thing, delighted with the training, delighted with the result, delighted that I limited the losses on the death march to about 5 minutes which isn’t bad over 4 miles. The atmosphere was out of this world for as long as I was lucid and without a doubt I’d recommend Dublin to anyone. Legs are fine afterwards bar a few blisters and got through even the death march without a cramp. (Although it was fun taxi ride back to the house). Thanks for everyone here for the support and advice throughout the training and everyone out on course today supporting, volunteering etc. It makes such a huge difference (way more than I had expected). Even my wife had a glint in her eye and suddenly was a bit jealous and I could see the idea for next year creeping into her head.
    The main thing I got wrong I think was fuelling, I’d only ever taken 3 gels in training and I think that the shaking and horrible feeling at the end wasn’t a bonk (someone more experience might tell me it’s the wall) but I think it was either (a) too much sugar from the gels (b) dehydration or (c) a bit of both. I was clearly dehydrated afterwards as didn’t go to the loo until about 8 hours after the race. Probably pacing wasn’t perfect especially from 10k to 20k but that was pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. All in all pretty minor stuff on a very good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Great report Tipping and well done, impressive stuff!! Hope you are feeling better today, dehydration is never pleasant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Congrats to everyone who ran yesterday. I got my C goal, happy with it, I finished, woohoo but made many errors, struggled for second half and had to walk at times. Crowds were fantastic.

Still mulling it over in my head so race report yet to come, has been great being part of this thread and again congrats to everyone that ran and thanks to Nop and all the other mentors with their sage advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good morning my fellow marathon runners . delighted to report that I got through the night without my medal choking me.

Great Report tipping. Hope you are feeling better today .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Good Morning Fellow Marathon Runners,

WE DID IT!!

Not going to lie was a tough course, my ongoing hip problem was present from the start but then my other leg decided to,play up, pain was fierce from Mile 10 on but once I saw Eiffel Tower guy and then a guy pushing a buggy, decided to run extra slow and take it one step at a time. Mind you nearly stopped in Crumlin hospital to ask them to,have a look but decided that would end my day. Met Mr Minnion then who made me laugh so decided to keep going.

Amazing how your mind plays tricks as once I hit Clonskeagh Rd, found my rhythm flew up Heartbreak Hill and ran home, my fastest miles were the last three so the aim had been 5hrs ran 4.38 delighted is an understatement!!!
    Went to bed smiling still smiling but probably won't be when I try to get out of the leaba.

Thanks again NOP & co and fellow DCM graduates for all the help, you really did get me to the finish line yesterday. Sorry didn't make McGrattans but met family and friends after in town so couldn't really abandon ship, hopefully will,meet you all soon and say thanks in person. Unsure where to go now....a ah thought I'd be burning my runners but that would be upsetting as dying to get back out there!

Will post race report later on as it's all a bit of a blur!

Thanks again folks and well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Whatever happened today Max you have done one thing....become a marathon runner and what an achievement that is regardless of your time.

The past few months training and today has made me respect marathon runners ever more than I did in the past! Looks like we all got round in one piece.

Don't get down on yourself after everything that you have achieved.

Morning Max, sorry to hear your race didn't go to plan but to,echo what Scot said YOU ARE A MARATHON RUNNER, you have done it, massive achievement 26.2miles in the bag, so focus on this brilliant achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Safrongirl

Morning all,
    Think I am still on a high , have to do boring everyday things today - tile shopping anyone ??? Can I wear my medal and race top today just in case anyone needs to know ???
    I will do a very brief race report as honestly its all a bit of a blur :
    Race Day
    Had a bad nights sleep with 2 smallies in the bed with me , up early and had breakfast alone in the hotel - coffee and toast and lots of tears here - was very emotional all day.
    My family walked with me down to the start area and lots more tears as I said my goodbyes - seemed to walk around in a big circle to bag drop area where I happened to bump into 2 guys I know - more tears - we said our goodbyes and they headed of to the orange wave. I seemed to be walking around again in another circle to where I started to get to my wave start. I was in the purple wave. I couldnt find the 4.50 pacers and saw the 4.40 ahead of me so decided to keep them in view and see how it went. And we are of nice and slow and everything is great . It was very crowded and lots of fallers and people walking very early on like at 2kms ???
    Headed on into the park and met Muppet and we had a nice chat and ran a bit together, Park was nice and everything still felt fine - pace was easy so decided to keep with them. Took my first gel at 8km and took water at every water station even though I didnt feel thirsty - this was the pacers advice which definately stood to me. One of them told us he would loose 4 liters of fluid during a marathon so to keep hydrated was the most important thing.

After we came out of the park the next area was amazing - the crowds were huge - I couldnt stop smiling - I felt like a superstar - pacers got the crowd going too and with the music and crowds it was brilliant.
    No idea where we went to after this but my next recollection is the half way mark - not too many people out here but pacers really came into their own from here on in. I ran right up beside them and they were chatting to us and full of motivation - I honestly would not have done it without them - when I felt like walking - the time around 18miles when I started crying again - at 22 miles when I thought I would drop - they kept me going through it all.
    Also after about 20 miles there was a lot of walkers so was really hard to move around them but the pacers were shouting "pacers coming through " so sort of made a nice little path way for you which again made it a lot easier . Amazed by how many people just stopped dead in their tracks and caused more fallers ?

Pushed on for the last mile as knew I still felt strong - left the pacers and gave it everything I had left - tears again with the fantastic crowd and here I am - I can see the finish line and I am still running - the feeling is unbelievable and I cannot express to anyone else only all of you will know - as soon as I crossed the line the legs gave in - could barely walk but everyone else around me looked the same.
    Got my medal and tears again . So I know that with determination and hard work anything is possible.
    Was it hard - yes but not as hard as I expected - I guess this is where proper training comes into play - I ran 3 days a week and crossed trained the rest . Had some issues with my knees during training but with a good physio got sorted.
    I will definately do another marathon - not for a specific time but the achievement itself. I enjoyed the structure of the training and working towards a goal.

Congratulations to everyone and special thanks to Nop and the other mentors whos advice was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Had a nightmare out there today with multiple disasters, I suppose one of us had to. Feeling extremely disappointed right now but there were lessons learned. Hard to talk about it at the noment, I need to digest it but there will be a report in the next couple of days.

The more I think about it, watch it and (now) having done it, the Marathon isn't about times. Yes its an amazing challenge for people to focus on and satisfying for them to tick it off, but it can very quickly turn into a dick swinging contest if you're not careful. Even in achievement terms times are only relative to how hard it was for that individual to do that time. Its much much harder for an 18 stone chap to do under 6 hours than for an average build chap to do 4.

Whats impressive about the marathon, and what had me on the verge of tears most of the way through yesterday is the human experience of ordinary people doing extraordinary things, and ordinary people doing things for other people. The people standing by the whole route handing out jellies for hours, strangers to running and to the people running but dedicating a few hours of their day to helping those strangers. The people running to raise money for charity, the people running as a mark of respect to loved ones who have passed.

In that context I have far far more respect for people who battle on through immense adversity to finish, like you did, than some chap who was born with a genetic advantage and has the time in their life to do a sub 3 hour run without any great stress.

Its not about the time, its about the effort. And its not about our egos its about thinking about others for a change and being with others when they need us. Please don't be hard on yourself. Its hard not to be disappointed but goals aren't as important as other things in life that we often don't notice until they're gone, and you can always have another shot at a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sun 30/10 - Dublin Marathon, 26.2 miles @ 8:49 min/mile

Pre Race

Ok so I wasn't a marathon novice, but I was a Dublin marathon novice! So many things were different this time compared to Paris 2014; for example, my training had a proper structure, I wasn't playing football, and I didn't happen to move house the week of. In addition, being able to sleep in my own bed this time was another plus. I got most of the long runs done, but had been struggling with hip flexor, hamstring and ITB issues the last few weeks, plus I was sick for a few days over the last week or so.

All the gear was packed the day before. On a beautiful red sky morning, my wife dropped me to Leeson Street bridge shortly before 7:30. Even at this stage there were lots of runners heading in the general direction of the baggage area. I found a shop on Mount Street where I snagged some paracetamol for use later if needed. Got around to baggage and saw Firedance (she didn't cop me at first without the shades :cool:) so we had a chat before I continued on. Lots of waiting around ensued, but I had a heavy enough fleece on so wasn't cold at all. Eventually we were called forward, I left the top on the railings and tucked in about 20 yards behind the 3:40 pacers.

Miles 1-3

"This is your life, your time,
    You gotta make it"

Boom! We were off! I saw a few people tearing up the road but I was sticking to strategy; keep the balloons in sight, if you're still there at 22, give it all you've got to the finish. Simple enough, right? Straightforward Mile 1, if a bit fast, before we turned onto Patrick Street and up the hill towards Christchurch. I spotted TFGR here and gave her a high five. Super fast downhill to the quays, where I kept the handbrake on before we started the long uphill drag on crossing James Joyce Bridge just before the 2 mile marker. A Porterstown parkrunner caught up to me just before Kavanagh's pub (caught out by the water being positioned here btw!) so we kept each other in check and the pacers at a safe distance.

Miles 4-6

"A rebel without a clue"

The entrance to the Phoenix Park was a major bottleneck as we passed Garda HQ and made our way around the back of the azoo, where a bit of downhill took us to the 4 mile mark. However, I knew there was a lot of hard work to come immediately afterwards. As well as that, the ITB was starting to act up majorly as we turned onto the open road of Chesterfield Avenue. There was a lad along here with about eight gels and a water bottle hanging off the back of him. Was he doing this as a warm up?

Meanwhile, as we approached Áras an Uachtaráin, I was feeling a lot of pain. The water station was badly needed, as I managed to extricate the paracetamol from the pocket of my gel belt before washing them down. Could I get through another 21 miles like this? If it was just another LSR, I'd probably have pulled the plug here. But it wasn't.

Miles 7-9

"And I thank you,
    For bringing me here,
    For showing me home"

As we exited the Phoenix Park just before the 10k mark, we were coming to what would for me be one of my favourite parts of the day. Coming into Castleknock, there were lots of friends from MSB and Porterstown parkrun out among the massive support. Best of all, my wife was on the corner at Myo's, and I managed to get over to her briefly before continuing up the hill to the highest point of the course. My leg seemed to be behaving normally again, which was a massive relief. We caught the guy carrying the Eiffel Tower just before the crossroads at Castleknock College and some badly needed downhill past Mount Sackville and into the Phoenix Park again at 8 miles. The pacers seemed to be well ahead of schedule, but I was holding up nicely as we headed for the Chapelizod Gate.

Miles 10-12

"It's been one hill after another,
    I've climbed them all one by one"

After nearly two miles of continuous downhill, the fun was to be begin once more as we crossed the Liffey and swung left. I watchedn hundreds of runners making their way up the hill towards Ballyfermot, before my turn came and I kept it nice and steady without (as far as I could tell at this point) too much damage being done. There were quite a few people walking already! Another hill soon followed as we left Ballyer and headed up to the 11 mile mark at the start of Inchicore. Still in the game here though. Passing Kilmainham Gaol felt special for me, especially in this year with so much history attached to it, but would I be wearing that medal at the end? Downhill and uphill before turning left and heading for St James's Hospital whacked me harder then expected. Pacer balloons were still at a respectable distance however.

Miles 13-15

"We gotta get out while we're young"

Myself and parkrun buddy were still tipping along reasonably well, as we turned out of Dolphin's Barn, and onto the long slow drag through Crumlin. I was passing a lot of people here who were feeling the pace, but at the same time resisting the tempatation to get too close to, let alone pass, any of the pacers. It was feeling tougher overall though; my eyes were just zeroed in on the balloons in an attempt to maintain focus and stay in the game. Shortly after we passed Our Lady's Hospital, I turned around and my parkrun buddy was gone; I didn't see him again (since found out he finished in 4:03). Surprised at no water just after the Walkinstown Roundabout, coming to the 15 mile mark.

Miles 16-18

"Down down deeper and down"

It was round about Kimmage that I could feel the 3:40 plan perhaps not being quite so "straightforward". Even with a lot of downhill going through Kimmage and Terenure, I could see the balloons edging ever so slightly further away, without me being able or willing to respond. Only a few seconds a mile at this stage maybe, but enough to put the doubts in my mind. Milled the little bag of jelly beans I'd brought, but to be honest I needed a bit more than a sugar kick.

Miles 19-22

"First it giveth then it taketh away"

Downhill again onto Orwell Road, and through the 30k mark at the start of Orwell Park. The marker for Mile 19 was waaaay off here though. Thankfully I remembered it should have been at the end of Orwell Park. I deliberately slowed on the downhill approaching Milltown, then kept it at a slow but steady pace up the short but steep hill towards where the old Shamrock Rovers ground used to be. I still had the balloons in sight as I turned the corner towards Clonskeagh and passed nop98 and Firedance out with their banners :) I'd love to say my pace picked up subsequently, but sadly it didn't happen like that through the up and down Mile 21. In fact it totally knocked what was left of my pacing; at this stage I was counting down the miles and minutes and everything else I could think of to keep going. And my leg was acting up again. At the start of Roebuck Road, I found an empty toilet for a badly needed call of nature. As I sat down, I felt a bit woozy, so took my time while I had a gel and a bottle of water to get my head together. On emerging some 2-3 minutes later, the pacers had long since vanished. I didn't care about that any more. I just wanted to finish.

Miles 23-26.2

"I know that I can make it"

To be honest, I thought I handled "Heartbreak Hill" fairly well. Lots of people walked up, but I at least ran up it without stopping, slow as I was. So only 4 miles to go now, and no more hills? Unfortunately it wasn't quite as simple. By now, I'd had to slow right down to find a pace where at least I was running as opposed to walking, that I could hopefully maintain to the end. As we crossed the UCD flyover, even the thought of "only a parkrun to go" felt like forever! As we turned down Nutley Lane and reached the water station opposite the Merrion Centre, I grabbed more water and walked as I drank. Only about 2 miles when I turn! "Is féidir liom, beidh sé go hiontach!" Thanks to RedRunner for the shout with about half a mile to go, just after I saw a guy's legs go from under him after the Lansdowne Road junction. I resolved that I wouldn't have that happen to me. Dozens of runners were passing me now. I didn't care, I just wanted to make sure I finished. Having said that I tried to pick up the pace just after passing the 26 mile marker. A bolt of pain through the leg instantly put an end to that strategy! Great support all the way to the end. No sprint finish or anything, I just crossed the line arms aloft with a smile on my face. I was officially a Dublin Marathon man :) in 3:49:01; a PB of just under half an hour.

Post Race

I got a badly needed rubdown in the massage tent before taking an age to put on my clothes and head for McGrattans. It took a while, but I eventually found the boardsies meetup (or rather Firedance found me). Well done to all, great to meet so many of you! I also ended up making a presentation to nop98 at a moment's notice (thanks kin9pin!) Fair play N, well deserved and a wonderful job over the last six months. Also special thanks to Firedance, aquinn, Myles Splitz and all who contributed to the thread. I should also mention TFGR made an appearance in McGrattans with flapjacks. Beautiful stuff! Best wishes to aceygray, who made an appearance with her sister and H2B before heading off into the sunset just 4 days before her wedding :) Lots of scoops here, followed by more celebratory pints in D15 later.

Where Do I Go From Here?

I have an entry for the Clontarf HM, but I think I'm going to bin it off and keep my powder dry for Jingle Bells if college commitments allow me. Other than that, between parkruns and XC races (club and BHAA) in addition to (for example) the Tom Brennan 5k and the Raheny 5 mile, I'll have plenty to occupy me through the winter. As marathons go, it'll probably be DCM 2017 for my next one, if I'm fit and healthy this time next year. Thanks so much to all of you, it's been a blast! Ádh mór.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

a148pro wrote: »
    The more I think about it, watch it and (now) having done it, the Marathon isn't about times. Yes its an amazing challenge for people to focus on and satisfying for them to tick it off, but it can very quickly turn into a dick swinging contest if you're not careful. Even in achievement terms times are only relative to how hard it was for that individual to do that time. Its much much harder for an 18 stone chap to do under 6 hours than for an average build chap to do 4.

Whats impressive about the marathon, and what had me on the verge of tears most of the way through yesterday is the human experience of ordinary people doing extraordinary things, and ordinary people doing things for other people. The people standing by the whole route handing out jellies for hours, strangers to running and to the people running but dedicating a few hours of their day to helping those strangers. The people running to raise money for charity, the people running as a mark of respect to loved ones who have passed.

In that context I have far far more respect for people who battle on through immense adversity to finish, like you did, than some chap who was born with a genetic advantage and has the time in their life to do a sub 3 hour run without any great stress.

Its not about the time, its about the effort. And its not about our egos its about thinking about others for a change and being with others when they need us. Please don't be hard on yourself. Its hard not to be disappointed but goals aren't as important as other things in life that we often don't notice until they're gone, and you can always have another shot at a goal.

Absolutely excellent post.

Have nothing to add except to say well done to everyone who ran and finished the marathon yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Goal time 4.30
    Finishing time 4.32

Pre-race

Pre-race didn't go well for me at all, I had to walk for a good 20/25 minutes to get around all the barriers to Merrion square, then a combination of joining a queue for the toilets and meeting somebody I couldn't ignore meant that I didn't prepare for the race like I wanted to. I had wanted to find a bit of space on my own for ten minutes, clear my head and do some stretching, but that didn't happen and time ran out. I was supposed to be in wave 3 but ended up starting right at the front of wave 4, but that didn't really matter I suppose.

First 10k

From the start line to the top of Phoenix park I felt really good. I always get a few aches and pains in the first 5k but they cleared up and then I really started to enjoy things, it was a great day for running, the sun was shining, after 3 years I was finally doing this and all was good with the world! I was conscious of my pace at this stage, I knew I needed to hold back but at the same time, I knew I wasn't pushing too hard either, my heart rate was low and I was just ticking along, albeit at the higher end of my "allowed" pace range. This might have been a mistake, I haven't decided yet. :)

10k - 20k

Down through the park was a nice Sunday stroll, but through Chapelizod was perhaps the first time I started to feel a little out of sorts, my groin is always an issue and always a little sore but now I was starting to really feel it. I wasn't in bits or anything, but it certainly wasn't the breezy feeling I had earlier. It was also food time, I use the Cliff Bloks instead of gels so I took two of them at 10k, two at 15k and another two at 20k. Mentally I found it a benefit to take them at regular intervals, it gave me small targets to aim for and I would rather eat only 1 or two at a time than the recommended 3 or 4. For water I actually carried a bottle pretty much the whole race, sipping away regularly instead of gulping down a bottle at a water station. This was all preventative maintenance as far as I was concerned, I wanted to make sure I was hydrated and fueled for the later stages.

From Dolphins barn up Crumlin and to Walkinstown was just a drag, I have never liked that stretch so I put the earphones in and got on with it. The same for Cromwellsfort road, which is perhaps my least favourite road in Ireland. One thing that kept me going here was the thought of family I knew were waiting at Bushy park so I kept plodding on and finally got to them at the 28k mark. To be honest, I still felt pretty good here, I said hello and stretched the groin a little, took a few photos and headed on. At this point I was four minutes ahead of goal time and feeling pretty confident about the last 15km.

30k - 40k

Through Terenure I still felt good and my pace was still doing fine, but after Rathgar I had to stop and stretch the groin again, it was starting to stiffen up quite bad. Then I got to Milltown and things started to go wrong.

The Clonskeagh road has all the bad memories but the trouble all started at that hill in Milltown. I ran up it, stretched at the top but from then on my pace just nosedived. I didn't even feel that I was running much slower but the garmin said otherwise, suddenly I was a good 50/60 seconds slower than just a mile previous. From then on up Clonskeagh it was torture, just a real struggle to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I couldn't walk though, I slowed to a walk at one of the water stations and knew immediately that if I stopped I might not get going again, so I knew that I had to keep running. I was sick of the sight of them but I forced myself to keep taking the Cliff Bloks to try and have something there for the last stretch.

Its a blur for a bit there but I was determined to run up heartbreak hill so sucked it up and kept going. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have the big wall of support thing there this year, made it a bit anti-climatic but I got it done anyway and turned onto Fosters avenue. From there to Nutley avenue is just one plodding mess that chewed up my four minutes grace and spat my goal time out the other side.

40 - Finish!

Previously the toughest mental challenge I ever had was the final overnight ascent of Kilimanjaro, but the last 5k of the marathon might just come close to rivalling that. And it is purely a mental challenge. I knew from my training that regardless of the distance, once I knew I was coming close to the end I tended to get a little impatient, constantly checking the garmin and watching the distance travelled creep up. But a watched pot never boils and it just makes it harder to keep going, for that last 5k I just wanted this whole thing to be over, I was never in any danger of giving up, that was just never going to happen but there was nothing fun there at all. I saw a poor lady sitting at a bus stop in tears, St Johns ambulance people closing in. There was about 2k left at that stage, I hope she got some fluids in and was able to get to the finish.

The last 800m was surreal. I was barely moving, but I was moving and thats the main thing. I had expected a crowd but hadn't realised just how many people would be there, I know they weren't there for me but it was a humbling feeling all the same. I got to the 26 mile marker and I have to say, the finish line seemed like a long, long way in the distance. :pac:

Then I crossed the line and finished a marathon. :)

Random thoughts

- I'm a little disappointed that I didn't hit my goal time, simply because it wouldn't have taken much more to do so. I guess perhaps I was quicker than I needed to be in the first 10k but I'm not actually sure if that is what hurt me later. Maybe had I ran at 6.20/km instead of 6.00/km I would have hit the wall anyway? I know someone who ran slower than me and collapsed just as bad, so who knows. I don't think its going to eat at me too badly though, whats two minutes among marathon runners! ;)

- Life goals achieved, I beat a minion and Elvis in a foot race. Couldn't catch Sonic though.

- Double take of the day was spotting the poor young girl walking home through Chapelizod, still in the black dress, high heels, makeup and the head hanging on her, clearly a dirty stop out about to stagger in front of a massive crowd. Poor girl, hope she had had a good night at least. ;)

- Finally, I would like thank everybody in this thread who helped us get to this point, my aching legs salute you. Thanks to Nop, to everybody who offered advice and congratulations to all my fellow marathon runners!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great stuff coming in on the reports! I will sit down and do mine this evening or tomorrow.....legs really feeling it today; still buzzing after yesterday though; so proud of us all and getting through that.

mrsscotindublin taking great delight watching me get up and down the stairs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

I also employed the strategy of 'just a parkrun to go' for the last three miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

DCM 2016

Ah running. She's a cruel mistress who both giveth and taketh away. With a solid enough first year of running behind me, culminating in a marathon which 12 months ago I could never have imagined myself doing (nor had I any intention), I have now experienced those quite literally dizzying highs and heart breaking lows.

Last month when I crossed the finish line of the Dublin Half Marathon in 1:48 and still felt I like I could run a few more miles, I was brimming with confidence. My marathon training had been going extremely well and I was finally seeing my endurance catch up with where I wanted it to be. I was almost fully sure that a 4 hour marathon was on the cards and even still I feel like if I'd run it 3 weeks ago, it probably was.

Unfortunately, fate and my body had other plans. That part was bad luck, but the stubbornness and failure to react means that what follows was entirely my fault.

Morning

I had been ill for the last week or so. It started with a sore throat and gradually moved down into my chest. When I woke up yesterday I had a pounding headache and was pretty gummed up with green goo in my throat. Undeterred, I popped a paracetamol and continued with my standard pre-race routine.

My girlfriend, who was at a wedding the night before, had planned to stay in bed and come meet me on the course and at the finish later. At the last minute, she says "I don't know what I was thinking!" and decided to come with me to the start, which I really appreciated. The company was great and I didn't have any nerves at all on the way in. I was totally serene, ready for it. On the Luas, I had a minute or two where a wave of dizziness and nausea washed over me, but I put it down to being the nerves I wasn't experiencing. :rolleyes:

Start

I didn't have a bag with me because everything I needed was on my person, so I trudged through the lengthy starting pens just taking it all in. The atmosphere even here was amazing, with thousands of runners milling around and preparing themselves for what was likely the biggest event in most of our calendars.

When I came upon the 4 hour pacers, I spent the rest of the walk to the start line trying to maneuver myself as close to them as I could and then all of a sudden we were started. A huge roar went up and we were crossing the line and holy **** I was running the Dublin Marathon!

First 5k

Winding through the streets of Dublin the atmosphere was electric. The pace balloons were maybe 40 or 50 yards ahead of me crossing the line and over the next few kilometers they'd get closer and farther away as the ebb and flow of the crowds dictated. This was ok, I was eager to heed the advice given here and avoid trying to find gaps through the crowd and just went with it. There were plenty of miles to go.

It's worth noting that even at this point I was working physically harder than I should have been. In training, I often did my PMP runs on a commute which are all uphill, in the evening after work, with a bag on my back and I'd have a HR of around 170. I wasn't looking at my heart rate here, obviously, but it turns out it was bouncing around the 180s and I could feel that, but ignored it.

Passed 5k and headed into the Phoenix Park, I couldn't believe that was the first of 8 parkruns done already.

To 10k

Chesterfield Avenue. What a grind. There's no atmosphere here, because how could there be? Just an endless, boring stretch out in front of you to the horizon. The initial burst adrenaline wore off here and it was just a matter of waiting to get out of the park.

Two big positives were that I can imagine on other days you might have a nasty wind buffeting you all the way along here and we had no such nastiness to contend with.

Also, the nice wide road meant that some space started to open up and I was able to get right up into the middle of the pace group. There were three 4 hour pacers, and I picked the middle one who had the name Olwyn on her back (presumably because that's her name) and decided she would be my pacer. A group of about 7 other runners and I ran in tight formation with her... until my wheels came off later.

We passed through 10k in 56:34, looking good.

To 15k

Finally we left the park and headed out to Castleknock and holy shit the atmosphere here was electric. The crowds were unreal and the hairs were standing up on the back of my neck as we passed through. Despite all the negatives that were to come, that memory will stick with me, it was both surreal and wonderful.

I had mixed feeling about reentering the park because I didn't want to leave those crowds, but of course I was delighted that we were about to put the park behind us. As we wound down the Upper Glen Road we passed the guy with the Eiffel Tower on his head. The tip of it clipped a tree and the whole thing swayed into the mass of passing runners, he was very close to taking a few people out with it so I was more annoyed than amused at the spectacle.

Half

We left the park and headed towards Ballyfermot. I was still in tight formation with my pacer and enjoying myself. Even though in retrospect my body was already beginning to decline, I scarcely noticed at the time with the cocktail of adrenaline and endorphins coursing through my veins. I suppose this is were the pull of the race day crowds can be both a blessing and a curse.

I remember being under no great duress as far as Rialto, even though looking back my heart rate was a rather shocking 185. After the turn off for the long drag up to Walkinstown, the above cocktail of natural drugs deserted me and I suddenly started to feel how bad a situation I was in. Even still, pure determination wouldn't allow me to do anything about it and I stayed in lock step with my pacer.

We passed through half in 01:59:14 and anyone watching the tracker (including my girlfriend) would have been forgiven for thinking all was going well.

To 25k

The thing is, forgetting the fact that there was another half to go, a 1:59+ half marathon shouldn't take much out of me. Even if I was to fail later, I should have still been feeling good here. Instead, as we trudged up towards Crumlin, my heart rate started to hit 190. I knew I was in trouble. Yet I kept on.

Then it happened. As we passed Crumlin hospital I suddenly got the feeling that someone had slipped a knife right in between my ribs. There was a sudden, incredibly sharp pain the likes of which I've never felt before. One of my ab muscles had gone into an intense cramp and the pain was so strong that I physically couldn't keep running. I stopped dead, hopped out of the way, and put my fingers to the spot where I could feel a single, rock solid muscle, twitching away uncontrollably. I was doubled over and didn't know what to do.

I started walking and taking deep breaths, but the pain was intense and not subsiding. I watched my pacer fade into the crowd and the third balloon bob past and into the distance and it hit me, no matter what happened now I would never catch them. Even if I could get back on pace, I'd never have enough to reel them back in. Just like that, 4 hours was gone in an instant. Or at least I thought it was an instant, but the signs had been there since I woke up, I just ignored them.

There were hints of tears welling in my eyes as I walked about 600m, taking deep breaths and pressing two fingers into the afflicted muscle. Walkinstown was approaching and I knew I had family there waiting to cheer me on, and I simply had to be running when I passed so I put on a brave face and got going again.

After the roundabout my aunt popped out of the crowd and handed me a bottle of water before running with me for a few hundred meters. She was beaming with pride; there are no runners in my family and you could see that she was genuinely over the moon to see me running in it. My cousin snapped a few photos where I look bizarrely happy and fresh and there is no hint of the inner heartbreak and turmoil. I knew I should have been an actor.

I left them behind with a heavy heart and trudged on towards Terenure.

To 30k

I was mentally broken now. One of the things I like about myself is my mental toughness, but it had deserted me. The reality of what I had done had dawned on me and continuing felt pointless. I couldn't get myself back into a rythm at all and kept allowing myself to walk. I would jog for a kilometer, my heart rate would spike into the 180s, and then I would walk for a minute or two to catch my breath. Everything was a blur now. I didn't see the crowds, I didn't enjoy the atmosphere, I was just trapped in a bubble of my own misery and disappointment.

At some point I decided I needed to get to 30k in under 3 hours. Arbitrary as hell, but it kept me going. I passed through the 30k mats on Orwell Road in 2:59:59.

To 35k

I knew that my girlfriend was waiting in Milltown. And I knew that she'd now know from the tracker how wrong things had gone. I actually felt guilt as I approached. I was dying to see her but I felt like she'd been so supportive through all of this and now she'd be upset when she realised how wrong it had gone. The stupid, weird thought of a broken mind.

I finally got to her and stopped for a hug and kiss and she said "I still think you're doing great. You'll finish this!" It was enough to keep me moving.

I don't really want to talk about the next few kilometers. Nothing good happened. At some point heading up through Clonskeagh the 4:10 balloons passed me and I knew they were really more like 4:20 for me because they started in the next wave. I could do nothing to stop them bobbing away into the distance.

The Rest

After about 35k I felt like my body had recovered a little and I could probably run the last 7.2k and bring it home somewhat respectably. I don't know where the second wind came from but I wasn't going to question it.

I ran up hearbreak hill and was finally passing people again, I was starting to think I could pick up some pace down Fosters Avenue and maybe even reel those 4:10 balloons back in. Until I crested the hill and the BANG my calf cramped. This is new. This has never happened to me before. Again I found myself hopping out of the way to the side of the road trying to figure out what to do.

A man in an Airtricity hi vis who, I think, was carrying a megaphone? Appeared and said "Cramp? Here let me rub it down for you." And he did, and it helped, and I'm very grateful. He told me to get going and take it easy on the downhill or I'll make it worse and that all the hard work was done. There went my plan of chasing down those 4:10 guys.

I got as far as the UCD flyover where, once again, as soon as I crested the rise the calf went BANG and I had to hop to a traffic island in the middle of the road to try and free it up again. A kid shouted at me that there was a massage tent just there. I thanked him, but I had to get moving again.

Top of Nutley Lane, cramp again. Trapped in the middle of the road with emergency services heading down one side and a stream of runners on the other. A spectator helped me to the side and kindly massaged it for me, again I'm very grateful. I was in a literal living nightmare, but I was moving again.

Merrion road; double cramp. Both calves now. 4:20 balloons passed me.

Pembroke Road; cramp.

I think it was on Northumberland Road where I was doubled over yet again with a cramp and I heard someone call my name. I looked up and it was A Neurotic looking fairly fresh on the run in. I think he was trying to tell me that there were only a few hundred meters to go, but I couldn't move and tried to wave him away.

Finish

Finally the finish line was in view and it just seemed to take an eternity to draw closer. I was in a daze and just started counting backwards from 20 in my head and focusing on the road markings as they passed by. When I crossed the line I didn't feel anything but relief. And pain. And nausea I suppose.

Oh and thirst. Jesus lads, give us some water before t-shirts.

It was 4:28:40.

Post Mortem

I'm a stubborn idiot and a fool. This thread offered all the advice necessary for a successful first marathon but I thought I was special and could do what I wanted. I learned a lesson the hard way and I hope to god that this can serve as an example to future novices.

In peak condition, I have little doubt the 4 hours was in me. But I wasn't in peak condition, it was clear from the moment I got up in the morning and I did nothing to adjust my plans. I couldn't let go. And it was fucking stupid.

If I'd have dropped back a wave and gone with the 4:10 or 4:20 pacers, I'd almost certainly have finished faster and I definitely would have enjoyed much more of it. It doesn't matter what I thought I was capable of on the perfect day, you need to be prepared for the conditions on the actual day. When I felt dizzy on the Luas I should have had the sense to say "4 hours is not happening today." When my heart rate was in the 180s after 5k I should have realised this was not going to work. But I didn't, I failed to react. If a future novice ends up reading this in 2017 or beyond do not make this mistake. Let my sacrifice not be in vain.

To the folks on this thread, you've all been very kind. Too kind really, as this was a misery of my own making. Still though, you are all right and in retrospect I am glad to have a marathon under my belt and all of the lessons that came with it. This time last year I was jogging 5k around the estate and marathon runners were people from another planet; now I am one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

aceygray wrote: »
    So when do entries open for next year? :p

January, send them to nop's house. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If it makes you feel any better, you were sick, you had muscle problems at half way, you were cramping up constantly, and you still finished it quicker than me!! ;) Fair play to you for toughing it out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Spectacular post Maximus. Felt every bit of your pain. And a big +1 on water before medals please.

Marathons are as much about learning as they are about running. You achieved a huge amount in not only finishing when your body was not 100% but in the amount you learned. You are already a better runner today than you were yesterday for all that.

I've no doubt at all that you will use yesterday to your advantage in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Maximus Alexander - It sounds like you were running while being ill. To finish under those circumstances and in that time is impressive.

• Advertisement

If it makes you feel any better, you were sick, you had muscle problems at half way, you were cramping up constantly, and you still finished it quicker than me!! ;) Fair play to you for toughing it out.

Heh, thanks, but that's not how it works. You ran a much better marathon than me relative to your training and goals! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

DCM 2016
    ....in retrospect I am glad to have a marathon under my belt and all of the lessons that came with it. This time last year I was jogging 5k around the estate and marathon runners were people from another planet; now I am one.

SO happy to read this, Max. That's the spirit. And respect to you for writing that detailed report. It'll be invaluable to the novices next year. This experience will really drive you on for the next one.
    Have a good rest and I look forward to seeing you getting back to it very soon. Well done:D

ligerdub wrote: »
    Maximus Alexander - It sounds like you were running while being ill. To finish under those circumstances and in that time is impressive.

I don't want to overstate that either, I wasn't horribly ill, but it was enough that my heart rate was up and I suppose a marathon will expose that and punish you for it!

DCM 2016

Ah running. She's a cruel mistress who both giveth and taketh away. With a solid enough first year of running behind me, culminating in a marathon which 12 months ago I could never have imagined myself doing (nor had I any intention), I have now experienced those quite literally dizzying highs and heart breaking lows......

What a brilliant honest and though provoking report and I've ran the bloody thing with you Max. I hadn't realised you'd sufferd as much as you did, Congratualtions on getting to the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Finished on 5:26 and I'm happy with that. I found some parts difficult. Started to cramp up earlier than expected, the last 8 miles were very slow. My ankle wasn't an issue either, I done a very big taper so maybe that helped. The main problem was walking it off for a few yards in the later stages and then trying to jog again - which is tough going. I ran some parts well though and didn't stop to walk for the last couple of miles. I kind of figured I wasn't making 5 hours so I used the toilets a lot and took a couple of breathers. Also, I won't overdo do it on the lucozade next time, had a small stitch from it! I'm very sore today but taking it easy so that's no harm.

A big thank you to Nop and everybody on this thread. I was pretty much doing this on my own so to read your advice and experiences was invaluable to me.

Also, I couldn't get over the level of support from the pedestrians, stewards and Guards. The best of the best were out cheering us on yesterday and it really is a sight to see. It really restores your belief in mankind to be honest :)

That was my first race yesterday. I'll take a week off and ease my way back in. I'll look at doing Belfast or Rotterdam in April and build from there. Hon the boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Hell of a post there Max, to keep going as you did is no mean feat and serious kudos for that. Plenty would have stopped proper with the cramps you had there.
    I think we would have been running right beside each other at times. I was alongside Olwyn(MarthaStew of this parish) in the park but eased back (ducked to the side for a toilet break) and then again through Ballyfermot. I stayed with them till halfway and just passed Joe/MrStew before the halfway marker.
    I hope you try again next year as you have more than proven the mental capacity to endure and get through it. This experience will only make you a better runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

Just checking in! I'm still alive - barely!!! Things fell apart from me just before the 20k mark, my hip went at the hill and I was struggling to walk. I expected it to go at some point but had done 21 miles just a few weeks ago and it had been fine :( I wondered how long it would take me to walk it in from this point - 6 or 7 hours?
    I text my other half and told him I was thinking of dropping out at the next water station. Before he could reply I text again saying I'd give it 10k more and see how it went. I really wanted to run - not walk - thru Walkinstown roundabout as that's where my friends and family were, so I forced myself to start running again. It was amazing to see them! Himself was here and he ran with me for about 5 mins, I had some flat Pepsi and half a banana and felt a little better.
    I won't do the mile by mile, it got worse but I kept running, snails pace but I didn't think of stopping again. I thought about TFGR's blog and her quote became my mantra - I said Hello to pain and then I said Goodbye to pain. My wonderful Club were manning the roads & water stations at heartbreak hill and their cheers kept me running - I don't remember the hill at all!
    I finally made it home, 17 minutes behind my goal but so happy and proud that I had made it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

And a general shout out, can those that haven't already got one going please get a training log up here. Invaluable tool and if you're doing something very wrong/very right you'll hear about it in a nice way. It'll be great to see how you all progress and go to next and for those of you that run Dublin again next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Ahh sounds like you're being very hard on yourself! Think what you'd say to someone else if you heard that story - i am certain you'd go much easier on them! Phenomenal achievement to finish at all :)

• Advertisement

TBO vs. HHN1 vs. DCM 2016

Haven’t actually hooked up my Garmin to the PC yet, here’s what the tracker says:

10k 00:59:22 @ 9:34 mi
    Half 2:03:27 @ 9:22 mi
    30k 2:58:38 @ 9:54 mi
    Finish: 4:17:23, @ 10:24 mi average
    @ 9:49 mi average

Well.

Saturday. Got texts from my manager and a colleague wishing me good luck. Started to wind down with Netflix, stopped reading the thread at 8pm, read a book for a bit and was in bed around 9:30. Woke up at 1am due to a returning airport traveller, nothing I could do.

Sunday morning. Was awake before the alarm. Had porridge, granola and some yoghurt. Half a cup of water. Drove in, parked in Whitehall, got a taxi and was in the city by 7:10. Had a banana. First toilet trip, then wandered up to McDonald’s on Grafton Street for another. Figured it best to forgo a hot chocolate as I had not practiced with it as a morning routine. First weird thing was coming out of the first toilet trip and how much the sky had brightened up in those 3-4 minutes. Headed over to towards Merrion Square, hung back a bit before dropping my bag at about 8:20. Followed the channels for the wave divisions, then a final toilet visit – the queues were pretty short at this stage. Was spotted by A Neurotic and Extrasupervery here. Headed up to the barriers and saw the 3 sets of pacers for 4:10, 4:20 and 4:30. Was pretty close, but not on top of them. Heard the national anthem, wheelchair and other starts over the PA. Happy with the temperature whilst waiting around, ditched the old jumper and black plastic sack once the barriers for wave 3 opened. I think the announcer said about 12,000 had already been through in the first few waves, impressive.

And we’re off. Didn’t know when the gun was going to go even though I wasn’t far from the start. Thought some people would be bursting out in front from general enthusiasm and in a bid to catch up with the 4hr balloons, but didn’t notice much of this, tbf. First little half mile or so and the left leg felt like it contained super glue. Atmosphere was good, couple of people already hitting the toilets at about mile 2. Down the quays and on towards the Phoenix Park, this was the warmest part of the morning, I think. Almost like it was warmer in the park than on any training run, save for a few clammy Saturdays. Said thanks to one of the 4:10 guys for pacing, he recognised my t-shirt. Somewhere in the park he spotted a guy with 100 marathon t-shirt, pacer asked him how many he had done, chap said about 160. Saw a few British people with similar shirts later in the race. Out of the park, still happy with the pace, started to recognise sections Max, Pompla and I covered a few weeks back. Back into the park and the sun had tucked itself away somewhat. Was recognised by ToriV somewhere in here. Around mile 9 is when a group of people to my left started singing Old McDonald. :D My plan was to keep the 4:10 balloons in sight so that the black writing was visible. They were in view within the lens of my glasses. That was pretty straightforward for the first 10 miles, between their toilet visits and the three of them being a little spread out at times I was happy to sit somewhere in the middle of them. I can’t recall which, but one of them said they were averaging or hoping to average 9:27 or 9:32 and now and then they’d give an update on how much we were on track. They were great at encouragement too.

Anyway, after the first 10, things were going well. I felt comfortable, no stress. Had a gel at mile 6, an energy bar at 8. Had been taking on water with a zero tab apart from that. At mile 11 I thought I’d nudge forward, which was a mistake (catch the 4 balloons, said I). Mile 13 was unpleasant, but it was 16 where the pacers caught up with me and started to move on to the point where I’d eventually lose sight of them completely somewhere around mile 18, I’d say. I simply didn't have the stamina to maintain the nudge forward. I think A Neurotic had been more sensible and kept tipping away with the pacers and whilst I didn’t see her later on, ToriV seems to have been equally wise.

Creeping up on mile 20 was a bit tough alright, but my confidence came back a little here only to slip out of my hands, then return around 22. This was probably much of the story of the third hour, up and down. Talked to some randomer and he said it was his 4th marathon, we shook hands. Good stuff. Seeing the 35k sign was a huge boost! Crowds were great, kids out giving a hand. Mile 23, oh the soles of the feet were angry. After mile 24 I decided not to look at my watch again and didn’t until the finish. Didn’t want to know. Didn’t care, didn’t want the internal pressure…let the legs do the work. Still felt there was fight in them once the bastard of mile 23 had passed. Got a great and unexpected shout out from my aunt at mile 25, had no idea she was going to be there (for her OH - he started in wave 2, I never saw him on the course, but finished ~4:26, I think). Was passing people out a little and being passed out myself, definitely people stopping too. Wanted to encourage them, but wasn’t sure what to say. 800 metres to go sign was soothing, so many people out cheering. Won’t lie, had to keep it together emotionally near the end and thought I’d be jabbering wreck in talking to the medal and bag collection volunteers.

Somewhere one of the 4:10 balloons popped, so I guess it hit a lamppost or something. Much respect to the pacers as evenness clearly is the way to go. Has nop patented “stick to the plan” yet? My thanks also to Neady83 for her encouragement by PM in recent weeks. She had warned me about the ‘carnage’ she saw in 2015 and how it might be visible from mile 20 - it was out there alright. :eek:

Eiffel Tower guy, unreal. What was that thing made of? Scratch that, what was he made of?!

Hobbling about afterwards was a bit sore, almost like my legs and hips had been in some sort of gravity experiment. Cleaned up with some travel wipes after the bag collection. There was pair of runners abandoned at the railings where I changed.

Fuel: Approx 4 gels, 2 energy bars, 600ml water bottle with zero tab, 4 water station bottles in the middle portion and final third. Did feel stitches twice after some bar or gel intake, can’t remember which. Definitely a little bit of the gels feeling like gunk in the stomach factor too and that's partly why I didn't bother with the third energy bar.

Highs: Many things. No blisters. This thread. The course. Whilst I did make a mistake, I don’t feel I hit the wall, as in, a mental or physical dead end. From training I had a fair idea I would be unlikely to stop for physical reasons bar something unforesson and it was all about the mental game in the later stages. Couple of negative thoughts started to swirl around, that’s normal. Not being terrified of the 16 still to go after I had done 10. Amazing little things like some woman running to a guy (cramp?) trying to sort himself at a pillar outside a house fairly late on. Respect.

Lows: It was that change I made from mile 11 that was the main factor here, it cost me, but with any risk you open yourself up to hiccups, that’s life. I’m not resentful and don’t view it as a failure. Saw a few people upset, being consoled and looked after by ambulances, one or two stretchers. Depletion of your body’s resources once you get well into the double digits, a bit like a car without much oil. Must keep going. Seeing the full suite of full time emergency services in response mode was humbling.

Future: Pretty confident if I followed the training next year and stuck with the pacers all the way I’d be on track for 4:10. Next time, stick more closely to the second part of the three tens and be race smart. ;)

After McGrattans (flapjacks :D), taxi back to my car. Asked the driver when he started, talked about house prices, his having gone back to college and whether he gets angry customers, he said yes, and it tends to be young fellas. They bang on the windows, are loud and mess with the radio. Eejits…

Quick shower, then dinner. On duty for a work thing. Wanted to sleep on a cloud of air rather than a mattress. Woke up a few times during the night. Sore head, otherwise OK.

P.S. I ran a marathon. :pac:

Advertisement