Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The English Times insists its called Bombay

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Krung Thep Maha Nakhon

...thats the kind of thing normally followed by '....and bring me more Gagh.'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

now are we being blamed for calling dublin -dublin ?i am not going to drink a eire , coffee ever again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

watching the coverage on sky news yesterday some of the indian correspondants from local tv news channels referred to it as bombay as well.

Obviously consumed with national self-loathing. How can they live with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

getz wrote: »
    now are we being blamed for calling dublin -dublin ?i am not going to drink a eire , coffee ever again
    This is Ireland.
    We're all angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

asdasd wrote: »
    they used Irish? There are clearly Viking names around Dublin - Howth for instance but that doesn't ring true.

Bilingual by the first generation, or before, I'd imagine. All trade, business and politics etc would have being through Irish.
    For example Sharon Ní Bheolláin is a good example of an Irish person with Irish/Viking ancestry
    Beollán = Bjolan (Viking Personal name)

Howth, as you know, was/is called Binn Eadair long before the Vikings renamed it.
    The Normans/English subsequently looked at the Viking names as somewhat more socially acceptable in comparison with the Irish names (the Normans considered themselves Viking), so where a Viking name was available they'd use that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nodin wrote: »
    ...thats the kind of thing normally followed by '....and bring me more Gagh.'
    God damn Klingons taking out cities names. The cows are next I tells ya :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭lottodrink

Roadend wrote: »
    So is Bombay mix now Mumbai mix?
    Good one I like it:p lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Terry wrote: »
    This is Ireland.
    We're all angry.

Dear CuLT,
    Can we please have a little button to go next to the thanks button. It can be a little smiley face getting a slap in the back of the head. We can use this button on posts that say "Your Ma" or that contain terrible puns. I think this would make boards the best website ever, even better than lolcats.

Love,
    oeb

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Krung Thep Maha Nakhon Babes are hot for your cock" also doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Stollaire wrote: »
    Bilingual by the first generation, or before, I'd imagine. All trade, business and politics etc would have being through Irish.
    For example Sharon Ní Bheolláin is a good example of an Irish person with Irish/Viking ancestry
    Beollán = Bjolan (Viking Personal name)

Howth, as you know, was/is called Binn Eadair long before the Vikings renamed it.
    The Normans/English subsequently looked at the Viking names as somewhat more socially acceptable in comparison with the Irish names (the Normans considered themselves Viking), so where a Viking name was available they'd use that.

Doesn't the name Whisky come from the Irish for "Fire Water" or something but then bastardised by the Normans.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon Babes are hot for your cock" also doesn't have the same ring to it.

I much prefer being called a "Pompoi" to a fat bastard though, it has a much nicer ring to it.

How about "love you long time" for Bangkok, or maybe Pattya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Board-in-work

Zimbabwe? I think you'll find it's Rhodesia. God save the Queen...etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

"Fire Water"

The water of life. Usice Beatha. Aquae Vitae.

whisky.whiskey.

OOOOH! its friday. good time to get drunk!

Zimbabwe? I think you'll find it's Rhodesia. God save the Queen...etc etc...

One of my colleagues is from zimbabwe, she was born after the name change and only ever calls it Zimbabwe, but she was telling us that she has older relatives (Not her parents apparantly) that will only call it Rhodesia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I think the only people who should be allowed to rename countries or cities anywhere in the world are the Irish. That way we can continue to assign names in a language that is incomprehensible to most of the world including us, and as here no-one will know where they are or be able to find anywhere else ever again. It would eliminate the terrorist problem as throngs of militants wander the world with bemused expressions looking for Mumbai or Cairo or Bali, making it easy to round them up. Osama Bin Laden will be stuck in his cave because we will have changed the name of Pakistan and, as is our practise, will have turned all road signs round though one hundred and eighty degrees.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

It would eliminate the terrorist problem as throngs of militants wander the world with bemused expressions looking for Mumbai or Cairo or Bali,

Baile an Mumbaigh 100Km the signs will say, pointing the wrong direction: and really 5,123 KM away.

That'll stop the terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

"Oh, come out you black and tans,
    Come out and fight me like a man
    Show your wives how you won medals down in Flanders
    Tell them how the IRA made you run like hell away,
    From the green and lovely lanes in Killashandra. "

My GF was inviocing somebody in Derry at work. She shouted out into the warehouse "lads, what county in LondonDerry in". She told me there was pandemonium in the warehouse. They couldnt tell her fast enough how wrong she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

They do this for Saigon/Ho Chi Mihn City also. When the commies took power in Vietnam they changed the name and for a while it was illegal to refer to it as Saigon (afaik), although they've become a lot more lax in the past decade or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Can we start changing names of their cities?

We already have
    Londain, Manchain, Learpholl, Glaschú, Dún Éidean..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Doesn't the name Whisky come from the Irish for "Fire Water" or something but then bastardised by the Normans.

Wait, don't you mean whiskey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

seamus wrote: »
    I suggest that we change Liverpool to "New Cork".

The Brits have a habit of this. Bangkok is still called so by almost everyone in the English-speaking world despite not being in existence any more.

I imagine "Mumbai" is more difficult to say than "Bombay" in a think British accent.

Whats bangkok called now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Krung Thep Maha Nakhon.

Didn't read the whole thread, did ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.

Its that actually.Seriously, read the wikipedia page on Bangkok, its class

titan18 wrote: »
    Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.

Its that actually.Seriously, read the wikipedia page on Bangkok, its class

Im going to now...just because you said its class....it better be!!!

penguin88 wrote: »
    Didn't read the whole thread, did ya?

nope got lazy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

Nobody I know in Mumbai ever calls it Mumbai, its always Bombay.

The name changes in Indian Cities were largely brought in at the behest of the BJP , the right-wing Hindu fundamentalist party. Most locals ignore them.

Its kind of the Indian version of the sort of said shagless losers who think it's important whether a place is called An Daingean or Londonderry.

A place is called what people call it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That said, the conversion from Peking to Beijing seems to have been pretty successful. I can't recall the last time I heard anyone say 'Peking' outside of Peking Duck.

Granted, however, that wasn't actually a name change, it was just a spelling change.

NTM

Advertisement