Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The English Times insists its called Bombay

Options
  • 28-11-2008 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I've noticed in coverage on the recent terrorist attacks in Mumbai, the English Times ( http://www.timesonline.co.uk ) insists in calling the city Bombay. Even going so far as to helpfully let us know in some articles, it's "also known as Mumbai". This despite the fact the official name change was 12 years ago, and you never see the city referred to as Bombay anymore, except when speaking about it historically.

Weird; someone obviously hasn't got over the loss of Empire yet. The cheeky native upstarts, thinking they can go changing names if they want ......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Can we start changing names of their cities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

We could rename both our islands "The Irish Islands" and we could talk about going to "the mainland" when returning home from shopping trips to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Stinktown/London swap ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Oh! So that's what happened Bombay. And here's me flying into Baljek the hole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

London = Stephen, as was the style of the time.

Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. ‘Give me five bees for a quarter,’ you’d say. Now where were we?

CorkYork has a nice ring to it... :)
    From this day forward, Dover shall be renamed as Ben Dover in his honour

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Simply refer to their monarch by her proper married name of Betty Glucksberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Robbo wrote: »
    Simply refer to their monarch by her proper married name of Betty Glucksberg.

or Lizardface Astrobitch as she likes to be called in private.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

BenjAii wrote: »
    I've noticed in coverage on the recent terrorist attacks in Mumbai, (....), thinking they can go changing names if they want ......

It is an integral part of understanding the business of Empire that you realise that brown, black, yellow or Irish people have no names for anything, until one arrives in ones gunboat and does the naming for them. The natives, distressed at the arrival of proper names for things, frequently become agitated, and then one must shoot a few, string up others etc, until their bestial nature recedes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

Weird; someone obviously hasn't got over the loss of Empire yet. The cheeky native upstarts, thinking they can go changing names if they want ......
    We could rename both our islands "The Irish Islands" and we could talk about going to "the mainland" when returning home from shopping trips to London.

you're right, *someone* hasn't gotten over the empire yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Hmm, maybe they think the English for Mumbai is Bombay, which is incorrect. Bombay is from some Portugese root, and Mumbai is indian. So Mumbai is correct.

That said, we tend to use the English names of cities in English rather than the name in the native language. So Rome, not Roma etc. That might be their worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

So is Bombay mix now Mumbai mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

That's because they're imperialist bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

And yet we also get mad when they call us Eire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

They also call Derry Londonderry for some reason.. Those crazy Ingerlish..

Don't start this one off... please

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Others use Bombay too

Le Monde = Bombay
    Der Spiegel = Mumbai
    CNN = Mumbai
    Reuters = Mumbai
    SVD = Bombay
    El Pais = Bombay

Maybe some are more sensitive to Bombay than others

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Smart Bug wrote: »
    That's because they're imperialist bastards.
    Jesus. It's just one after the other today.
    Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

biko wrote: »
    Others use Bombay too

Le Monde = Bombay
    Der Spiegel = Mumbai
    CNN = Mumbai
    Reuters = Mumbai
    SVD = Bombay
    El Pais = Bombay

Yep. Lots of papers have these little editorial quirks, it's just a style guide thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

This is a great idea.

I suggest that Manchester becomes 'New Mayfield'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mumbai Mix just doesn't have the same ring to it.

edit: sorry Roadend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

question who first called ireland --ireland ? and for my next question-

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I suggest that we change Liverpool to "New Cork".

The Brits have a habit of this. Bangkok is still called so by almost everyone in the English-speaking world despite not being in existence any more.

I imagine "Mumbai" is more difficult to say than "Bombay" in a think British accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

asdasd wrote: »
    Hmm, maybe they think the English for Mumbai is Bombay, which is incorrect. Bombay is from some Portugese root, and Mumbai is indian. So Mumbai is correct.

That said, we tend to use the English names of cities in English rather than the name in the native language. So Rome, not Roma etc. That might be their worldview.

Glad somebody posted this.

I was gonna go with Torina instead of Turin, or Venezia instead of Venice. Is this Bombay thing really that big a deal!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

seamus wrote: »

The Brits have a habit of this. Bangkok is still called so by almost everyone in the English-speaking world despite not being in existence any more.

I imagine "Mumbai" is more difficult to say than "Bombay" in a think British accent.
    yes we british think in a british accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Glad somebody posted this.

I was gonna go with Torina instead of Turin, or Venezia instead of Venice. Is this Bombay thing really that big a deal!?

:)

People get the horn more for native names when the country has a colonial history. Otherwise, nada. I'm assuming everyone here is going to henceforth start referring to our country as Eire, and not Ireland. And Deutschland instead of Germany; Espana instead of Spain, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

yes we british think in a british accent
    Of course you do. I think in an Irish accent. Your inner monologue should use your own voice.

Mine does anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Is it now called Soreknob? :pac:

• Advertisement

Of course you do. I think in an Irish accent. Your inner monologue should use your own voice.

Mine does anyway.
    Mine speaks like william shatner

Advertisement