Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Benefits & Proud: Opinions

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

MS.ing wrote: »
    tv3 sounds like a combination of fox news and jeremy kyle, pretty sure you have to be a moron to be able to view it.

I watch Jeremy Kyle, I pay Sky (FOX) a lot of money for my TV and broadband ergo* I must be a moron...

Well I never!

*Means therefore, no need to Google it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's just like the benefits fraud one ... 1 person does it that = 20,000 people.

I watched a few minutes of it.

The poor saps were obviously content to sponge away and didn't have the intelligence to offer any sort of defence. Doubtless they shouldn't be doing it but making a whole show about them is just feeding into the 'them vs. us' mentality that people love.

"All them dole spongers are the reason this country is f*cked." etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Some people's definition of luxury is just 'don't have to work and manage to scrape by'.

People with low expectations of life.
    B-b-but... "my" taxes are paying for them - therefore they're living a life of luxury dammit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

B-b-but... "my" taxes are paying for them - therefore they're living a life of luxury dammit!

I have already been shouted down saying people pay tax to the Government and that tax is used by the Government to provide services and social welfare Don't people know that the OAP is the largest part of the social welfare budget. But lets just blame People on JSA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    There are actually quite a lot of jobs, but a lot of people are doing so well on benefits it doesn't pay them to work as they lose medical card etc.
    For many, it's not that they're "doing so well on benefits", but they will be worse off by taking these jobs.

There's a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Firstly, wasn't my choice to bail out anyone
    Secondly, there are a jobs out there but people on benefits wont take them as they would be less well off. And yes I have first hand experience of this from my own workplace.

Oh, and I never stated people who lost jobs are lazy. Lots of people who lost jobs are desperately trying to find work and good luck to them.

But lots more have never bothered to work or find a job at all
    No, you're wrong - stats to the rescue:
    http://www.nerinstitute.net/imglibrary/2014/01/201401211508391.jpg
    http://www.nerinstitute.net/blog/2014/01/21/over-28-unemployed-people-for-each-vacancy-in-the/

Only enough jobs for 1 out of 28.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Show us the 1% making money off the backs of everyone and condemning generations to penury.

You like Made in Chelsea too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Gatling wrote: »
    Lazy plain and simple ,

2/10

Try harder

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

2/10

Try harder

Bull****

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't have figures but I am sure you could google and find for yourself...

And maybe you are happy enough paying for people who could really (and should really) be supporting themselves)

...But I'm not

The problem is really that you don't enjoy what you're doing and you want everyone to be as miserable as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/we-need-real-home-says-mother-of-five-housed-by-council-in-870-a-week-hotel-30193809.html

"Ms Murray (29), a mother of five from Shankill, Dublin, said she became homeless when she was unable to find a suitable home for her children.

She was in receipt of a €1,000 rent allowance and said that if she had received an additional €300 per month from the Department of Social Protection she would have found a home for her and her children.

But she has since learnt that her Dublin hotel room costs around €870 per week – or just under €3,500 per month – and that others housed in the hotel are in a similar situation.

She said: "It seems absolutely crazy to be spending all that money when a small increase in the rent allowance would mean me and my children could live at home."

Issues with this:

Get you and your childrens shoes off the bed.
    Why bring all these children into the world without a home or means of supporting other than reliant on welfare
    Automatic single minded entitlement attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Chinasea wrote: »
    Really, this is an issue?
    Why bring all these children into the world without a home or means of supporting other than reliant on welfare
    Do you know exactly how this woman ended up in this position, or...
    ... is it just your automatic, single-minded, prejudiced attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/we-need-real-home-says-mother-of-five-housed-by-council-in-870-a-week-hotel-30193809.html

"Ms Murray (29), a mother of five from Shankill, Dublin, said she became homeless when she was unable to find a suitable home for her children.

She was in receipt of a €1,000 rent allowance and said that if she had received an additional €300 per month from the Department of Social Protection she would have found a home for her and her children.

But she has since learnt that her Dublin hotel room costs around €870 per week – or just under €3,500 per month – and that others housed in the hotel are in a similar situation.

She said: "It seems absolutely crazy to be spending all that money when a small increase in the rent allowance would mean me and my children could live at home."

Issues with this:

Why not move somewhere cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

lollsangel wrote: »
    Why not move somewhere cheaper?

In Dublin? For 6 people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    In Dublin? For 6 people?

Why does it have to be Dublin?

Six people can easily live in a 3 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

She and many other choose to have 5 or more kids and yet expect the world to support them ,
    Homeless and destitute ,
    Going by that family portrait in the paper she's certainly doesn't have a care in the world by the look of things ,

188 pw

Dependents by 5 , 150pw

And children's allowence x 5

And welfare should give her €1300 pm rent

The English system should be brought in caps and if you can't afford high rents then move to another city /county if needs be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Nobody knows her circumstances when she had kids.

She can't just hand them back because she now can't afford them.

That said, an increase in her rent allowance is crazy. She's relying solely on social welfare, so cutbacks should be made. If that means moving out of Dublin, so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just a shockamentary designed to enrage people who have jobs and pay their way. Don't get sucked into these type of shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Anyone who thinks they're going to have the life of Reilly on benefits is clearly about as numerate as a frog and therefore have need of it. They're welcome to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

jimgoose wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks they're going to have the life of Reilly on benefits is clearly about as numerate as a frog and therefore have need of it. They're welcome to it.

Indeed. I often find I have to dumb down my posts in these threads.

I'm watching this too. Its shocking stuff.

No way in hell would I have 11 kids to live a life of luxury.

It doesn't matter if you're shifted into Blenheim Palace, it's just a building - without means or education eleven children means abject poverty, forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just a shockamentary designed to enrage people who have jobs and pay their way. Don't get sucked into these type of shows.
    I don't need documentaries like these to remind me of reality, Ireland is an absolute joke when it comes to being able to just opt out of society, those that pay taxes through the nose, are ENTITLED to jack **** compared to the long term wasters, the taxes you contribute are in no way linked to welfare payment if made redundant or the state pension etc like in Germany and I'm sure other countries.

My dad moved to Ireland in the 70's, he has just hit retirement age, get about E80 per week from the german government as it was based on what you paid in, obviously with him leaving a long time ago, it wasn't much & obviously moving to the land of milk and honey with the Irish pension here and all the associated perks he is fine. But I like the German system, work and be properly rewarded, don't and well don't expect others to have you living a cushy life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Are some people on this thread suggesting that the people on the show were computer generated or something? Because thats what ye sound like. I personally know people similar to those on the show, in fact I know a lot of people like that. What are the odds of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

no you are not going to have the life of reilly, but how many working people have the life of Reilly? the fact is if you have kids with the free house and no child care costs, you can probably have a better quality of life than those gob****es who go out working to subsidise your lifestyle "choice"...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Gatling wrote: »
    She and many other choose to have 5 or more kids and yet expect the world to support them ,
    Homeless and destitute ,
    Going by that family portrait in the paper she's certainly doesn't have a care in the world by the look of things ,

188 pw

Dependents by 5 , 150pw

And children's allowence x 5

And welfare should give her €1300 pm rent

The English system should be brought in caps and if you can't afford high rents then move to another city /county if needs be

people on rent suppliment can't just up sticks and move to another county. the system doesnt work like that. in order to claim rent suppliment you have to be on the housing list, in order to get on the housing list you have to to be living in that particular county. The ability to move to another local authority area needs to be simplified.

It is also worth mentioning that under the new Housing Assistance Programme, designed to replace Rent Suppliment, the recipient will be taken off the housing list. you can be sure with the council paying the rent on private accomodation the HAP is going to cost double or even triple what rent suppliment does when landlords see how much they can milk the local authorities for. I would advise anyone on rent suppliment to stay off HAP for as long as possible as they will be removed from the housing list, If their landlord decides to sell up the onus is on them to find accomodation. if they don't they go back to the bottom of the housing list again.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    no you are not going to have the life of reilly, but how many working people have the life of Reilly? the fact is if you have kids with the free house and no child care costs, you can probably have a better quality of life than those gob****es who go out working to subsidise your lifestyle "choice"...

The use of the house is free, not the house. You have no wealth and not much more of a life than subsistence, because you have no means.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There are jobs going unfilled...fact. And a lot of them are taken by Eastern Europeans/Asians.

And last time I checked the U.S was doing pretty well, so no idea what you mean by 'it doesn't work'

Yup,Dublin_Mom....your perspective may be a tad too descriptive for these serene pages.

Luckily however,some enterprising member of the public managed to do a vox-pop on the issue of Paki Baxtereds...oops sorry..."Eastern Europeans/Asians" coming over here and takin OUR jobs...:rolleyes:

Now,it may well be,that the offended against folks in the video were in fact queuing for a job-interview at the O Connell Street Premises, when they noticed the different accents on the staff....but,I equally suspect,that work of this nature would fail to challenge the positive creativity of the featured "artistes" and thus be deemed beneath them....

Thankfully,in this Irish example,the Store Security Staff we unarmed,thus allowing the poor,oppressed,disaffected yoofs the badly needed opportunity to outline their grievances.....Thats what makes OUR system so much better than any oul American one ...;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

'what do you want me to work in mcdonalds?'
    Yes. Obviously. A wage is a wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

El Weirdo wrote: »
    For many, it's not that they're "doing so well on benefits", but they will be worse off by taking these jobs.

There's a huge difference.

Exactly. Surely the real problem there is that employers are paying such poor wages?
    This post has been deleted.

It's easy to forget that, in reality, all of us are net beneficiaries of the endless labour and inventions and technological, medical and cultural advances of the past. We were born with a patrimony that even kings of the past would envy into a peace and prosperity unrivalled in world history. So maybe stop bitching quite so much.

Advertisement