Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Benefits & Proud: Opinions

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Even in this thread you can see the differentiating opinions on it

Very eye opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

In what way is the US doing well? Doing well at having its largest levels of income inequality since the 1920s?

I think what's meant is the old "you can achieve anything if you work hard for it" even though that door was closed behind the rich. And now the only people with means can achieve that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think what's meant is the old "you can achieve anything if you work hard for it" even though that door was closed behind the rich. And now the only people with means can achieve that.

Yeah, the US actually does particularly poorly in that regard. Productivity has increased consistently in the US, but hasn't been matched with corresponding increases in real income. The graph I've attached shows this well.

The median figure is used here, because average incomes have gone up significantly, though they're distorted by the huge increases in income of the top couple of percent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I can tell by this thread alone that the program is doing exactly what it intended to do...

I'm calling a bet that the next budget will have cuts to welfare at 2-1. The sad part about it is that these programs work and there will be people cheering at the cuts... Propaganda at its finest, ladies and gentlemen! Of course, don't let that stand in your way of having a good moan about people of welfare that there wasn't a peep about before the first fraud reports started spreading across newspapers...

• Advertisement

nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room

Am I that noticeable...?

Hehe, what'd you mean? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

It is definately a career choice for a few. There must have been near a dozen people flogging tobacco and cigarettes on the moore street entrance to a certain shopping centre in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

When did all the Eastern European research development people come in Or multi language or specific java programmers I could go on.

I can't speak for Ireland, but here in the US there are lots of Eastern Europeans in those type of jobs. I work with several myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I read articles ,people working in the usa,
    walmart ,etc the wages are so low they are entitled to welfare ,food stamps,
    and some go to food banks .
    SOME states minimum wage is 7 dollars a hour.
    ALOT of people in the usa 63 years old ,working in supermarkets, etc eg they cant afford to retire.

AND usa students have large loans to pay off,
    and they struggle to get low pay ,intern type jobs.
    Some people work in a job mainly cos its got good health coverage,
    even if they hate the job .
    THE middle class in the usa is getting smaller ,
    while the top ten per cent get richer,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

When did all the Eastern European research development people come in Or multi language or specific java programmers I could go on.

Software guy here. I'm on a team of 8 at the moment. Over half are from Eastern Europe/Russia. C++ though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Refuse to watch junk like that.
    It just turns people against people.

There are plenty of needy people out there who are dependent on benefits to manage.
    Thats why people who can, pay tax.
    A country must looks after those who need help, and it should also set up proper schemes to help/encourage people to gain employment

c_man wrote: »
    Software guy here. I'm on a team of 8 at the moment. Over half are from Eastern Europe/Russia. C++ though :pac:

True but I think we all know I meant the jobs that are available at the moment not current filled positions. They are not filled for a reason lack of skills here. And most people already came over from other countries to fill the positions many years ago in the boom

• Registered Users Posts: 20,608 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I see that there is a program called Gypsies on Benefits and Proud on Channel 5 at 11pm.

It is billed as: The hit Channel 5 series returns with a brand new one-off special lifting the lid on one of Britain's biggest controversies: the immigrants who come to the UK to milk the benfits system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

MAYBE our education is 10 years behind ,in regard to science, tech, subjects,
    and encouraging students to do courses in programming .
    eg the points system doesn,t help,
    i can get the same points for doing french, as i can for doing higher level maths.

SO companys have to get people from russia ,etc to take up certain jobs in ireland.

I see that there is a program called Gypsies on Benefits and Proud on Channel 5 at 11pm.

It is billed as: The hit Channel 5 series returns with a brand new one-off special lifting the lid on one of Britain's biggest controversies: the immigrants who come to the UK to milk the benfits system.

That one guy were was he from Romania ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Just realised one or two of them have been on Jeremy Kyle! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    Firstly, wasn't my choice to bail out anyone
    Secondly, there are a jobs out there but people on benefits wont take them as they would be less well off. And yes I have first hand experience of this from my own workplace.

Oh, and I never stated people who lost jobs are lazy. Lots of people who lost jobs are desperately trying to find work and good luck to them.

But lots more have never bothered to work or find a job at all

Right lets examine the evidence shall we.

Hypothesis: Lots of people on the dole don't want work.

Rebuttal: During the boom employment was under ten percent.

Could you provide some evidence for your hypothesis?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

There's a programme on TV3 called On Benefits & Proud and it's about people on the Dole in the UK making huge amounts of money off the government.

One woman has around 11 kids and is getting a 6 bedroom house! Some of the stuff seems so ridiculous.

Another has 2 television subscribers in the one house!

I agree with the whole idea of helping the needy and all but I also think that people shouldn't be abusing it.

Just curious on peoples opinions :)

She is obviously against contraception.Religious excuses ftw!

steddyeddy wrote: »

Remember too - the 80% of a section of society that historically has always been unemployed too. That always get left out of the figures. And people on part time back to work and so on still receiving JSA payments for what 2 year ? And the unemployable for what ever reason that 10% gets a lot lower very fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

steddyeddy wrote: »

Yes. 10% are cnuts. End of. That's all anyone was claiming to begin with. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Always has and always will be the few who just won't ever work. Being riled by that is the height of silliness if I do say so myself, and I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I have a friend with benefits, very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yes. 10% are cnuts. End of. That's all anyone was claiming to begin with. :)

Or a lot less IMO. It's healthy to have a purpose in life and very few people don't want that.

She is obviously against contraception.Religious excuses ftw!

She said she's against abortion too and said why make the baby when you don't want it. What about rape? Incest?

Howandever that is a whole other topic.

11 children and 1 of them is on the Dole themselves with the other getting a job at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Show us the 1% making money off the backs of everyone and condemning generations to penury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I'm watching this too. Its shocking stuff.

No way in hell would I have 11 kids to live a life of luxury.
    A life of luxury?

I just think "The poor kids".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

TV show for the Daily Mail set.

The underlying message for those watching it is 'everyone on benefits are like these people.'

Next time someone tries to defend benefits they just cite the TV show with the people who didn't want to work and had 213 children. Case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A life of luxury?

Some people's definition of luxury is just 'don't have to work and manage to scrape by'.

People with low expectations of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

tv3 sounds like a combination of fox news and jeremy kyle, pretty sure you have to be a moron to be able to view it.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    TV show for the Daily Mail set.

The underlying message for those watching it is 'everyone on benefits are like these people.'

Next time someone tries to defend benefits they just cite the TV show with the people who didn't want to work and had 213 children. Case closed.

It's just like the benefits fraud one ... 1 person does it that = 20,000 people.

Advertisement