Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sullivan's Quay development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The same nonsense. Destroy the character. Big fish. Ugly. One rule for the smaller business. Pollute the view. Always looked disgusting. Major hotel/apartments/offices.

I think it looks lovely housing a load of artists, and art students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Lyaiera wrote: »
    The same nonsense. Destroy the character. Big fish. Ugly. One rule for the smaller business. Pollute the view. Always looked disgusting. Major hotel/apartments/offices.

I think it looks lovely housing a load of artists, and art students.

Well if BAM already secured the building the artists & students who only currently have temporary use of it on a month by month basis would not want to get too comfortable as they will only end up bitterly disappointed as it was only ever a temporary facility for a limited amount of time at the discretion of the building's owners.

Remember also those artists from the Community Arts Centre who have been using the Camden Palace Hotel's premises over on Camden Quay since 2009. They have been urgently looking for new premises as I understand they have been told they need to move elsewhere as there are other plans for this building.

That said, it would be great to see the voluntary efforts continued elsewhere but it is not the responsibility of existing building owners who may now need to move and get new developments off the ground especially if any new housing accommodation in the form of homes/apartments AND/OR any New Jobs in any business sector such as hotel etc; are the result of these new developments.

The argument being made, though, is that the old Revenue building is of architectural importance.
    I'm not suggesting that every building of that era should be preserved - just that they aren't all destroyed because popular opinion deems them "ugly" or dated.

I can never ever recall anyone saying it was a gorgeous/attractive/lovely building from Day One! - I honestly believe it was regarded as uninspiring and clinically functional in it's heyday back in the mid 1980's at most - otherwise; I suspect it was disliked or hated by a majority of Cork people.

How did this monstrosity ever get planning permission? It never fitted-in nicely with the old historical area of the city that it was placed. Notable buildings in the area would include the former St. Nicholas Church including it's spires behind, old red-bricked Cork City Fire Station, old Sullivan's Quay CBS School, The Red Abbey, former Beamish+Crawford Brewery due shortly for redevelopment, South Gate Bridge, Elizabeth Fort, Barrack Street, St. Finbarr's Cathedral.

Nothing about this building has ever complemented the surrounding area not back in the 1980s - and definitely not now in 2016!
    The site would look a lot better with no building at all and a surface carpark in the interim before something a lot more tasteful is erected on this particular site in such a historical area of Cork City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

How did this monstrosity ever get planning permission?

To be fair, the same questions could be asked of a number of buildings through the years. Merchant's Quay, 'New' Opera House, Bachelor's Quay.

To be fair, the same questions could be asked of a number of buildings through the years. Merchant's Quay, 'New' Opera House, Bachelor's Quay.

Very True - not to mention the out of character and unsightly public street lighting apparently inspired by a certain individual named: Beth Gali based on a similar design of work previously done in Tenerife. They started with Patrick Street and then went on to the Grand Parade and so on but Cork would probably have done better with a design and style that was more in keeping with our city streetscapes.

Of the buildings that were modernised and improved I would point to the School of Commerce (now Cork College of Commerce and Further Education) on Morrison's Island when they added a new floor on top of the building. The former CIE Albert Quay Railway Station/ex-Cork City Council Parking Fines Office) looks well in it's current more enhanced form. Quay Co-Op have the old Cork Fire Station building looking a lot better now again. Cork Opera house as it was first rebuilt and re-opened in the 1960's was a disaster to look at from the outside but thankfully they have managed to improve it's exterior appearance both on Lavitt's Quay and at the front on Emmet Place in subsequent years and it's not before time either! Merchant's Quay is about to undergo a major revamp very shortly with front main entrance and mall moving down closer to Mark's & Spencers department store. I would be very surprised if Dunnes Stores remains in Merchants Quay after the revamp is completed as it looks quiet and irrelevant since the Patrick Street Store was completely updated and significantly increased in size.

I also wonder how Penney's Department Store (The Munster Arcade) in Patrick Street will look in years to come given that they have apparently bought out the entire block of buildings - Next block the former Victoria Hotel was sold in 2015 to the landlord of the ground floor retail units underneath the hotel. Add to that the new extensive development starting on the old Capitol Cinema site on both Grand Parade & Lower Patrick Street in addition to new Cork Convention Centre in the Brewery Quarter on South Main Street and the Cork City Central Library are also planning a revamp so it's all going on in the city. The former warehouses at No. 1 Albert Quay building has just opened with Tyco as one of the main anchor tenants is also a very welcome addition and will bring much needed business into the city centre. And more apartments are about to be fitted out very soon as part of the existing Elysian complex so all good news as the city tries to recover after a very tough and long economic recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

The FAS building was never subject to a planning permission. It was a government project that did not go through the usual planning process - as far as I am aware.

Separately, I don't think new buildings should have to 'fit in' with the existing historic buildings. I think they should be required sometimes not to mimic, imitate and replicate older structures. And in fact, perhaps be brave enough to stand out from their historic context. It all depends on location and context I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

The FAS building was never subject to a planning permission. It was a government project that did not go through the usual planning process - as far as I am aware.

Separately, I don't think new buildings should have to 'fit in' with the existing historic buildings. I think they should be required sometimes not to mimic, imitate and replicate older structures. And in fact, perhaps be brave enough to stand out from their historic context. It all depends on location and context I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Very True - not to mention the out of character and unsightly public street lighting apparently inspired by a certain individual named: Beth Gali based on a similar design of work previously done in Tenerife. They started with Patrick Street and then went on to the Grand Parade and so on but Cork would probably have done better with a design and style that was more in keeping with our city streetscapes.

I totally disagree with this. Those lamps are about the only thing making Patrick Street/Grand Parade unique anymore. I'm really delighted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

I totally disagree with this. Those lamps are about the only thing making Patrick Street/Grand Parade unique anymore. I'm really delighted with them.

I have to say I love the lights too, they're really interesting and help make the broadest parts of Patricks Street and Grand Parade less barren looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Is this ever going ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

DylanGLC wrote: »
    Is this ever going ahead?

I hope so as I was just remarking this weekend how awful the building looks. It appears to have been left to go into semi dereliction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

The artists have moved out of the building, so I imagine something will happen soon.

I was reading over the thread and surprised at people not liking the design. I actually don't mind the building which is there now. It is definitely not something I would choose if asked what should go in there, but there is something about it that seems.. nice? I guess? I don't know, but the new building I think looks really nice, I like the brown colour of it and the glass*. I also really like the height. I love high rise but I don't think high rise would work in that area of Cork (save it for the docklands), but it is still bigger than most buildings in the area.

*I especially like it from this angle, it looks much better than the current all grey building http://corkcitycentre.ie/sullivans-quay/ It might look a little out of place at first, but with The Capitol not far away, the eventual Events Centre, whatever else is supposed to happen in the Brewery Quarter, One Albert Quay, the new Merchant's Quay, Trinity Quarter (?), Navigation Square, Anderson's Quay and whatever else people have planned for the docklands and the rest of the city, it will eventually fit in very nicely :)

Hopefully they will rejuvenate it in some way as it's so incredibly shabby now and it's in such a prominent position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    Hopefully they will rejuvenate it in some way as it's so incredibly shabby now and it's in such a prominent position.

The present building will be demolished. Needs to be done soon though.

The present building will be demolished. Needs to be done soon though.
    Totally agree.

I hope by the new school year (I feel that is a realistic amount of time for them to start demolishing and building - of course with announcements before then - but this thread is quite old so you never know). Maybe they'll announce it this week along with hopefully the government giving the extra money to the Event Centre, as they decided to have the Boland's Quay development announcement last week. Exciting times :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So it was built in the mid 1980s? Really? It looks like it came straight out of the early 1970s. Very dated even for its time. But Cork city centre doesn't have all that many large modernist buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

As far as I've heard nothing can happen there 'til the term finishes for the Crawford College of Art so guess sometime in late May/early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So it was built in the mid 1980s? Really? It looks like it came straight out of the early 1970s. Very dated even for its time. But Cork city centre doesn't have all that many large modernist buildings.

That would be about right.
    Look at pictures of Irish people in the 90s - they look pure 80s.

I'm one of the few people I know who really likes the building that is there now. Needs some tlc but it has wonderful lines imo

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »

To be fair, if the existing building was cleaned up a bit, it would look a hell of a lot better than it does now. It's not a very attractive building but at least it wouldn't be an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

There's a lot of room around the buildings current exterior.

Completely encase the current building in glass and treat the current walls as interior walls and remove all the windows.

You instantly modernise the building. Looks better, you keep the old building and millions are saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Yeah I kind of like the original building. Clean it up and maybe add a glass facade or something and I think it would look great while still being a nod to Brutalism (though i'm not an architect)

I know brutalism is not for everyone and I can see why most people think its ugly but at least it stands for something. I have no problem with them knocking it and replacing it but at least replace with something interesting. The current plan looks so bland to me but also really fussy. It isn't particularly modern, in fact it feels outdated already.

I don't know, its just my own taste. I just don't like the look of it. Maybe it will look better once its up.

Apparently the building has subsidence issues so has to come down regardless of what people think of it.
    The submission date is gone and the OPW are expected to make a decision on the winning bid for the new Revenue Commissioners offices in Cork. The RC will seek to relocate to approx. 80,000sq ft of new offices, with a possible option on more, housing up to 600 staff relocated from their existing premises at Government Buildings on Sullivans Quay. A tender was opened for submissions on new office space for the RC at the start of the year (2005) with an original March deadline set for submissions – this date was subsequently extended until September 24th. The proposed deal between the OPW and the successful bid includes a land-swap of the 3/4 acre Government Buildings site on Sullivans Quay which homes the 8-storey office block, which suffers from subsidence issues. The developer who attains the site will acquire not only a long-term, valuable tenant for their office development, but also a superb city centre site capable of a large-scale, landmark development only a stone’s throw across the southern Lee Channel from Grand Parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 IrishBelle

Does anyone know what's happening with this building just up the road on grand parade? Ive always loved it, saw builders there today

IrishBelle wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's happening with this building just up the road on grand parade? Ive always loved it, saw builders there today

CIT bought that which meant that UCC had to buy the building at the other end of the South Mall in their ongoing vanity buildings battle :)

opus wrote: »
    Apparently the building has subsidence issues so has to come down regardless of what people think of it.
    Well that's enough about that then.

A small mention of it in this new Evening Echo article on the Kingsley expansion - http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Kingsley-owners-planning-hotel-extension-b38ebb53-8420-4c0d-b3cf-c7c77d8c13fd-ds
    Has planning permission been requested/granted or is everything for this just plans so far?

DylanGLC wrote: »
    A small mention of it in this new Evening Echo article on the Kingsley expansion - http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Kingsley-owners-planning-hotel-extension-b38ebb53-8420-4c0d-b3cf-c7c77d8c13fd-ds
    Has planning permission been requested/granted or is everything for this just plans so far?
    I thought it had been granted but it seems not.

• Advertisement

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    I thought it had been granted but it seems not.

I did some more reading and found (on a link I posted) it has it :) "BAM has planning permission for a 120,000sq ft office block and a 180-bed hotel with a triple basement on the site of the former Revenue Commissioners office building on Sullivan’s Quay."

Advertisement