Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civilization 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Branoic wrote: »
    You can only range attack a city until it's defence is reduced to a last red sliver - you can't defeat a city totally just with ranged. After the defense is knocked down you need to move in with a melée unit like spearmen or swords. If you hover the mouse over the city with your unit selected a prediction of the outcome will be displayed. With city defence gone it should say "safe attack" and there'll be little to no damage done to your melee unit when you move it in to take the city.

Thought that but i get a pop up message from the swedes " begone yah nasty blokes or somfin " and my pikemen never attack :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Got a one city cultural victory on King difficulty: continents map with Alexander in 1900, his ability is absolutely fantastic for a culture win. Hardest thing is defending yourself when you get swarmed by an aggressor (inevitable on continents).
    I'm not bothering with any domination victories because it's too easy when the AI is so terrible at combat, will have to wait for an update to fix that.
    Going to try for cultural on emperor now and then maybe take Nebuchadnezzar out for a spin and go for a science victory. Does anyone know if there's a similar expansion penalty on acquiring techs like there is with getting social policies?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im starting a new game,I keep getting battered by the A.I.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Incase anyone is interested the mod tools are now available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Culture bombs are class. Definitely the best special power of the "great people"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

bleg wrote: »
    Culture bombs are class. Definitely the best special power of the "great people"

What's the best use for that?

I used one to get an extra oil resource and another to get an extra uranium.

Brilliant for stealing resources from other civs and city states. They are a sure fire way of causing war too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Ugh the same thing that happens to me in every Civ game is starting to happen now; my civ has become bloated due to it's size and now the money is starting to dry up. The thing is that a lot of my cities are puppet states that are making useless gold consuming buildings. So I'm thinking that I might just annex them all and have them just produce gold. Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to annex unless absolutely necessary as then I have to go through the hassle of building the courthouse and the unhappiness.

I can't raze them because that'll make space for other civs to settle, thus ruining my dream of having a continent all to myself. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Creature wrote: »
    Ugh the same thing that happens to me in every Civ game is starting to happen now; my civ has become bloated due to it's size and now the money is starting to dry up. The thing is that a lot of my cities are puppet states that are making useless gold consuming buildings. So I'm thinking that I might just annex them all and have them just produce gold. Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to annex unless absolutely necessary as then I have to go through the hassle of building the courthouse and the unhappiness.

I can't raze them because that'll make space for other civs to settle, thus ruining my dream of having a continent all to myself. :(

I annexed the **** out of everything. Build a courthouse then and your fine :D

• Advertisement

Just build trading posts everywhere.

Also, build market, bank, stockmarket etc everywhere you control.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Just build trading posts everywhere.

Also, build market, bank, stockmarket etc everywhere you control.

Already did I'm afraid! There's only a few tiles left on the map that don't have improvements built on. Also every city I control has financial buildings built.

I suppose I'll just have to raze some cities. Ugh I can see the English sniffing around with their ships already :mad:

Already did I'm afraid! There's only a few tiles left on the map that don't have improvements built on. Also every city I control has financial buildings built.

I suppose I'll just have to raze some cities. Ugh I can see the English sniffing around with their ships already :mad:

Kill off all your workers and don't build railroads?

I'll do that as a last resort. I'll try annexing them first. More money will be lost on buildings to keep them happy but once thats done I can pump all their production into gold. I hope.

I'll do that as a last resort. I'll try annexing them first. More money will be lost on buildings to keep them happy but once thats done I can pump all their production into gold. I hope.

But if you already have improvements built everywhere why do you need to have a load of workers?

Also, railroad lines are the biggest drainer in the game.

Well I don't have many workers I the first place but I am still discovering things. I only just found aluminium so I'll need workers to mine that. Also especially with uranium still to come I'll need men on standby. Nukes will be needed ASAP.

You're totally right about the railroads unfortunately. They're something I'll just have to do without.

On the subject of resources, is there less of a chance of you discovering a strategic resource if the tile already has an improvement built on it? I ask because like I said, I just discovered aluminium, but only got one source. It may not seem like much but I'm controlling nearly two thirds of the world's land mass so it should really be more. Oil wasn't much better either but earlier ones like coal and iron were very abundant. I don't remember it being like that in previous Civ games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I don't know yet whether mines can suddenly discover resources as the game goes on. Would be interesting to know though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

If it's anything like previous games, the tiles are assigned their resources when you create the game, rather than during it. Discovering the proper technology just lets you see/use them.

Blowfish wrote: »
    If it's anything like previous games, the tiles are assigned their resources when you create the game, rather than during it. Discovering the proper technology just lets you see/use them.

There's that, but also in Civ IV, mines could also randomly discover new sources of coal/iron/uranium etc. as the game progressed. Sure the chance was massively slim, but it still happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭gunner_twotone

Hey folks,

Im having a problem with the game :mad:

Its crashing on the start up movie with DEP closing it down. I then disabled DEP and got into a game.

After about 5-10 turns it freezes then closes.

Then other times on loading the game where it gives the background to chosen civ it crashes again!!

I have tried it on DX9, 10, and 11.

I've been reading the 2K forums and alot of people have identified this issue. Also got a patch update from Steam but its still crashing.

When the game runs, it runs well, very smooth and no lagging.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The trick is to start annexing the puppet cities before they get to the point where they start building military buildings and other useless stuff for a city that can't produce military units. Doing it one city at a time means a minimal happiness hit and a chance for you to slowly and carefully absorb the cities into your empire with a minimal hit to your economy.

Initially puppet cities will start building +culture and +money buildings, which is fine, they're handy to have in any city. You just can't afford to leave a lot of them alone for too long or they start doing really annoying things like building factories and hydroelectric plants and eating up your coal and/or aluminium resources etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

keane2097 wrote: »

Also, railroad lines are the biggest drainer in the game.

Does anybody know the maths off the top of their head? Railroads cost 2 gold, but generate 1 gold per tile. If you have a market, bank and stock exchange, how much gold are you down? Assuming the tile is being worked of course.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Playing the tutorial "learn to play " and i decided to wage war on Stockholm, i can get them down to last inch of their life but repeated attacks dont yeild anymore damage and i had 4 cannon groups pounding it :confused: I gave up and Almaty declared war on me so i pounded the crap out of them but still couldnt beat them. It would only let me range attack, couldnt go in and get nasty. Is this normal still reading the civ wiki thing in game :0

Also i get artefacts and my 4870 overheated and shut down my pc? is this normal cos its not the most intensive of games.
    Maybe it is a restriction of the tutorial?

I have gotten artifacts a couple of times - I upgraded all my drivers and that seems to have clared them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Does anybody know the maths off the top of their head? Railroads cost 2 gold, but generate 1 gold per tile. If you have a market, bank and stock exchange, how much gold are you down? Assuming the tile is being worked of course.

If you have all the +gold upgrades then you should at least break-even I think. It's +25%, +25% and +50% for the three buildings isn't it? I know multipliers add linearly in this game, i.e. two +25% buildings give you a +50% multiplier rather than a 56.25% multiplier. You could make a profit with certain social policies and wonders that boost gold output of a city iirc.

Edit:

Just checked there, the Stock Exchange only gives a +33% bonus, so you'll be making a loss on Railroads even with all three gold producing buildings. However, it'll be only a small loss and most importantly the cost will be lower than if you'd left the tiles as having just Roads on them!. This means the tiles with Railroads that you work around your developed cities can subsidise the cost of the tiles with Railroads that aren't worked by a city.

nesf wrote: »
    Just checked there, the Stock Exchange only gives a +33% bonus, so you'll be making a loss on Railroads even with all three gold producing buildings. However, it'll be only a small loss and most importantly the cost will be lower than if you'd left the tiles as having just Roads on them!. This means the tiles with Railroads that you work around your developed cities can subsidise the cost of the tiles with Railroads that aren't worked by a city.

But remember that railroads connecting cities don't actually boost gold output, but rather give a production bonus to any city connected by them to the capital. So if by that stage of the game you have enough of a disposable income, then it's basically investing some of that into increasing production throughout your empire.

Besides if the trade routes created are lucrative enough, the extra cost shouldn't be a factor. Right now in my Marathon game, the income just from my road making trade routes pays for all my expenses.

• Advertisement

I'm liking the one unit per tile. I had a Pangaea map that was cut nearly in half by a mountain range. 3 passages through the mountain range, with city states controlling each one. Allied with one, took the other two so I could effectively control access and isolate my enemies. Roman Special Ability is pretty handy.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    But remember that railroads connecting cities don't actually boost gold output, but rather give a production bonus to any city connected by them to the capital. So if by that stage of the game you have enough of a disposable income, then it's basically investing some of that into increasing production throughout your empire.

Well obviously the production bonus makes linking your cities a no-brainer, but nesf makes an excellent point about the gold bonus. Roads cost 1 gold per turn. Railroads cost 2 gold per turn, but if the tile is woked, it generates 1 gold per turn. If you have a market, bank and stock exchange, that gets boosted to 1.83 gold per turn.

Net effect of road : -1 gold per turn.
    Net effect or railroad (on worked tile) -.17 gold per turn.

So railroad or nothing and make sure the tiles are worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Hey guys, the mod tools are now available.

To get to them, go to the "Tools" tab in Steam (under Library) and look for "Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK"

If you don't see it, try restarting Steam.

Also, as a reminder, these mod tools are unsupported and as such customer support will not be able to help you with any problems you have with them. If you have issues feel free to post on the forums, but please keep it in this Modding subforum.

Suprised this hasn't been mentioned. Building a WW2 Civ2 style scenario now! Has anyone made/played any scenario's yet?

Beautifully simple and efficent design too.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Incase anyone is interested the mod tools are now available.

I mentioned them a few pages back :D Only had a quick look at the world builder but not much else. I'd be a bit suspicious about some mods completely changing the balance of the game before people really learn the nitty gritty of Civ 5. I've seen quite a few now that are just increasing food and production for given resources or buildings.

Also mod categories need work in the game as it will start to get very messy as more mods are added.

• Advertisement

BULLER wrote: »

That map looks awesome. Looks far better than the default earth map which is just plain weird.

Grr - game keeps crashing when I try to take Tlacopan :mad:

Might try getting him to give it to me as part of a peace treaty when the tactical situation suits me.

BTW, does anyone else keep expecting that old guy in the opening sequence to say : "Son, I am disappoint."

Gah the civlopedia in this game is terrible, it hardly tells you anything.

Does anyone know if you have to pay upkeep for military units that get given to you as gifts by militaristic city states that you're allied with?

Gah the civlopedia in this game is terrible, it hardly tells you anything.

Does anyone know if you have to pay upkeep for military units that get given to you as gifts by militaristic city states that you're allied with?

Yup, I was using one as a buffer and they kept giving me crappy units so I just kept deleting them for gold.

So my game has taken quite the turn. Starting expanding a bit more towards Greece to basically tell him to GTFO. Still can't declare war on China, despite my best efforts. Then Alexander decides to go to way against China and take Beijing. To me, that was fine, all the less of China and now she's stuck in her last city Shanghai, surrounded by me, with only 8 tiles to worth with.

Then though, Alex decides to start settling near my advance city.

I took half of his territory before he gave up and gave me his entire treasury for a small bit of peace :D

And yet I'm only about 600-700 turns in, in around 1600AD and I've just hit the Industrial Era :/

Lmao Giant Death Robots are insane. I was playing a map with two large continents, me on one and England on the other. I invaded and captured seven of their cities with just two robots! The game ended at that stage as I built the space ship but I could have easily taken the rest of England's cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Does anyone know if you raze a city with a World Wonder, can you rebuild that Wonder in your own dity or it it lost forever? Whats the number limit on World Wonders per city?

Whats the number limit on World Wonders per city?
    Don't think there is one, or else it's at least high enough that I was able to do a one city victory with most of the wonders without hitting it.

Does anyone know if you raze a city with a World Wonder, can you rebuild that Wonder in your own dity or it it lost forever? Whats the number limit on World Wonders per city?

Purely guessing based on previous civs, but usually wonders are lost forever and there's no limit on the amount of world wonders per city.

My game is actually crashing no matter what city I take so I think I'm going to have to abandon that one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

i cant believe you cant airlift units, really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Balmed Out wrote: »
    i cant believe you cant airlift units, really annoying.

It might have made air tec too powerful. I'm loving the aircraft carriers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Play.com still haven't gotten my collectors edition to me. I'm getting a little concerned at this point, and Steam continues to mock me by pointing out it's available from them in only a few minutes. Anyone else still waiting on Play.com to deliver?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Spear wrote: »
    Play.com still haven't gotten my collectors edition to me. I'm getting a little concerned at this point, and Steam continues to mock me by pointing out it's available from them in only a few minutes. Anyone else still waiting on Play.com to deliver?

Back in march I ordered the ff13 guide book and it was 3 wks before it came and in auguest I ordered a book and dragon quest 9 from them and it was 2wks before they arrived,there incredible slow.

I've just had 2 nations delcare war on me for no reason,whats the best to get peace?I dont have much of an army and Im low on coffers.

I've just had 2 nations delcare war on me for no reason,whats the best to get peace?I dont have much of an army and Im low on coffers.
    Turtle and let them wear their army out on yours. Eventually they'll get sick of it and offer peace.

Most likely one nation convinced the other to join in the attack. It's the second nation that'll usually give up first.

ya one nation has given peace napoleon is stuborn though,Im also finding it hard to make money :/.

Well obviously the production bonus makes linking your cities a no-brainer, but nesf makes an excellent point about the gold bonus. Roads cost 1 gold per turn. Railroads cost 2 gold per turn, but if the tile is woked, it generates 1 gold per turn. If you have a market, bank and stock exchange, that gets boosted to 1.83 gold per turn.

Net effect of road : -1 gold per turn.
    Net effect or railroad (on worked tile) -.17 gold per turn.

So railroad or nothing and make sure the tiles are worked.

I hadn't noticed it at the time but one of the social policies reduces maintainance on roads/railroads by 20%. So railroad could only cost 1.6 gold per turn to maintain but generate 1.83 gold per turn if the tile is worked. Commuter rail network ftw.....

bleg wrote: »
    Yup, I was using one as a buffer and they kept giving me crappy units so I just kept deleting them for gold.

How do I delete military units?and buildings in citys you dont need?

How do I delete military units?and buildings in citys you dont need?
    Just under the menu which shows the 'standard' orders you can give units is an arrow. Click that and it'll give a few more orders, one of them being delete the unit.

You can't delete buildings unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PeterHughes

WTF just happen, I was playing last night and had prepared to expand into / take over the 3 city Indian race. I had spent a lot of time and effort getting in good with two city states right beside me and also two other races that were close as well (Russia and England).

India had no major relationship with anyone and I had him blocked into a corner.

When I declared war and by attacking the first city EVERY other Civ declared war on me.

I took me everything to fend them off and just survive long enough to make peace with them.

What I need to know is why did everyone declare war against me did I miss something. I am playing on Emperor and am using the Germans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

That's hilarious. Maybe they all had pact of co-operation? Or if the enemy Civ had good terms with a city state, and so did another Civilization, it raises hostility etc etc etc. It's all a wonderful glorious circle of deceit :pac:

Advertisement