Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Supplements

Options
1222223224225226228»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Found the same with tribulus but it's never been shown to do anything to free test levels. Key point really is that increased sex drive doesn't mean increased test levels necessarily. I'm sure it does something to the HPG axis - like increased LH production - or something else that might make you randy but like you said, without the right blood work it's just speculation.

Also, see here for a recent but admittedly limited study that showed a decrease in test levels for the group supplementing with 6g D-Asp per day. This study also references the only other two main studies performed in humans. In one, there was a significant increase seen in total Test levels but this was in untrained males. The other which used trained males, showed no increase.

Thanks the reply. Very true. I've never got blood work done for anything really and like said I always taught without doing so it's impossible to really tell if these natural test boosters work.

Anyway regardless of what has happened I won't complain and can only take it as a positive. At the end of the day I honestly think the best test booster is a good consistent healthy diet, balanced training and rest. It hasn't failed me yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

WarZ wrote: »
    ON has apparently decreased its quality in Gold Standard.

quick everyone, switch over to that Ronnie Coleman stuff :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Picked up a tub of amino energy by optimum nutrition this morning in Holland and barret. 25% off so it was a bit of a impulse buy.

I have to say it's very under- dosed. 1 serving is 2 scoops, 30 servings in a tub. As far as 1 serving goes your getting barely any bang for your buck. A bare 1000mg of luecine, 350mg of beta alanine, 1000mg of glutamine and 100mg of caffeine and so forth.

I feel a minimum of 3 servings is required to get anything out of this product. €30 is fairly pricey too. Just my 2 cents on the product. Overly not impressed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 plichma234

anyone tried that All Nutrition stuff yet?
    this guy at proteinstore.ie has it at really good price but not sure what it's like comparing to other stuff like Olimp etc

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Picked up a tub of amino energy by optimum nutrition this morning in Holland and barret.

Once you said Holland and Barrett I knew how that was going to end :rolleyes: Really should have put in a spoiler alert :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

spirulina for sale in aldi! had never seen or heard of it before today.

do many people take it? any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

gercoral wrote: »
    spirulina for sale in aldi! had never seen or heard of it before today.

do many people take it? any good?
    I was talking to someone this summer who was taking it and she said her energy levels went through the roof, so I wanted to see what the fuss was about. It didn't do much for me to be honest. It's a good source of iron, has  a small bit of protein and minerals and vitamins, but I think I'm pretty careful about getting those from my diet so it didn't have any immediate noticeable effects on me. You can only take a small amount anyway (ie the nutritional values per 100g might be impressive but you might only consume 10g a day), but it wouldn't do any harm to take it I'd say, especially if you suspect any deficiencies. Don't consume it within 30 minutes of any caffeine as it interferes with the absorption. 
    Here's an article where you can read about some of the benefits: 
    https://authoritynutrition.com/10-proven-benefits-of-spirulina/

Also, it literally tastes like pondwater, and I had a hard time getting it to blend with stuff, it doesn't really dissolve in water so you might wanna stick it in a processor with spinach etc for a smoothie. I also added it to chia seeds and water and let it sit for a bit and then just kind of gulped it down. Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭laurie88

if it's chocolate protein flavoured, I drop some fruit in, strawberries cinnamon and a bit of carrot and ginger
    french vanilla shake, I go with banana, blue berries, honey
    Strawberry shake is extra strawberries and banana

All of them would have a variety of flax seeds, chia seeds etc, mixed with filtered water

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

66% protein is hardly a small bit. Taking 10g a day is the equivalent of eating an egg for protein content.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    66% protein is hardly a small bit. Taking 10g a day is the equivalent of eating an egg for protein content.
    I know it's the equivalent of an egg, but in terms of a day's worth of protein, it's not hugely significant. It's maximum 7g, whereas you can have two or three eggs during the day. I also just didn't want to say "great source of protein" in a thread about supplements - if you're looking for a protein supplement, Spirulina isn't exactly first on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Looking to get back into the gym and want to pick up some protein and fish oils.

Where would be best to order from? Used to use MyProtein and Discount Supplements.

If one is more expensive than the other is it worth paying any extra?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Much of a muchness, quality wise. The best value protein on Discount Supplememts is MyProtein, as it happens.

Check BulkPowders and TheProteinWorks as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Much of a muchness, quality wise. The best value protein on Discount Supplememts is MyProtein, as it happens.

Check BulkPowders and TheProteinWorks as well.

I agree all the above are great value! I usually just buy from whichever one happens to have a 30% discount running. Currently BP using discount code JAN33

2.5KG of whey for 24 dollareedoos NOICE!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Ever hear of bulbine natalensis to boost testosterone??

Bought it there. Taken for a week...nothing noticed so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Test boosters are this generations snake oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,023 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What's the dose you are using, and what does it say about how long to take it.

Examine.com is a pretty good first point for these things.
    And while herbal steroid boosters are generally snake oil as mentioned above. This one actually appears to be behaviour much more like a drug than a herbal supplement.

https://examine.com/supplements/bulbine-natalensis/
    The side-effects make this herb the most 'steroid-like' from what is indexed in Examine; up to you whether that is good or bad, but cycling this compound would be mandatory.
    Bulbine Natalensis is an herb from Southern and South Eastern Africa that has traditionally been used as an aphrodisiac as well as some other beneficial properties. Due to its influences on cognition and sexuality, it is currently being investigated for its effects on testosterone.

Three separate rat studies looking at serum testosterone levels note significant increases in circulating testosterone, and one study noted a decrease in estrogen levels as well. That being said, adverse effects have been reported on both the liver and kidneys with the exact same dosages seen to increase testosterone.

It works, in rats at least. But it's also mildly toxic.
    Results follow a bell curve, so there is an optimal dose, beyond they the results are not as good. Probably due to toxicology issues.
    Rat studies investigating how bulbine natalensis interacts with testosterone note that 50mg/kg (of a 10:1 extraction) appear to be the optimal dosage, and based on Body Surface Area Conversions,[1] this correlates into an estimated human dose of 8mg/kg or:

550mg for a 150lb person
    730mg for a 200lb person
    900mg for a 250lb person

These doses are currently only estimates, but they are within the range seen in the only industry funded trial on bulbine natalensis at this moment in time (which used 650mg).[2]

There's more there in the exaimine. It's an interesting compound tbh, but it needs more human trials with detailed bloodwork imo.

I'm taking 750 mg a day. Bought it on buljpowders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I'm taking 750 mg a day. Bought it on buljpowders.

Aptly named, must be due to it's aphrodisiac qualities :pac:

Haha ill probs be more put off taking them after reading that article to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tello73

hey guys
    im looking to burn some baby fat pounds and i am taking up Spinning classes , im going to be taking 2 supplements links below any recommendations or substitute`s welcome

bulkpowders - iecomplete pre workout caffeine free

cellucor-clk-90-softgels FAT BURNING TABLETS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Tello73 wrote: »
    hey guys
    im looking to burn some baby fat pounds and i am taking up Spinning classes , im going to be taking 2 supplements links below any recommendations or substitute`s welcome

Neither or those will burn anything other than your money.

The 'fat burners' that would are largely illegal.

The spinning will help of its something you'll continue but it's largely your diet that will result in burning of baby fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,023 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tello73 wrote: »
    hey guys

A pre-workout without caffine is basically missing the main ingredient. The rest is probably BCAA, Beta Alanine, Creatine in doses too small to be effective.

Cellcor fat burning tablets is a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GSGREEN

You could give https://proteinpackage.co.uk/ ago really good range of products and you can pick n mix all brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Hi all,

I bought 6 months top-up supply of BCAA's (pills) from myprotein which should have lasted me until around April/May 2022.

They arrived yesterday but they all have a best before date of February 2022 so they won't all get used before the 6 month timeframe.

Is it safe/effective to take these after the best before date, or should I ask Myprotein for an exchange? I feel a bit ripped off. Their live chat facility has been unavailable to me for the past 24 hours for whatever reason but I'll also see what they say if I can eventually get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

In or out of date, theyre pretty useless regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

How are they useless? I usually supplement them with Protein and Creatine but I would be happy to lose the BCAA's if they're just a gimmick. They seemed to pop up over and over again when researching supplements so I've been taking them for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Studies that have controlled for total protein intake show no difference for people supplementing with BCAAs vs those who don’t. Sorry to tell you but you’ve been had.

Advertisement