Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

With unlocked S III, what's the process of getting Android updates? Is it any quicker / slower?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Pigwidgeon wrote: »

And another set have broken. This is starting to get a bit ridiculous, I can't understand how they keep breaking, and its always the same way. Thinking I might try and get it looked at if another set break soon.

Have mine now since November and their fine. Use them quite a lot as well. Which part of them breaks?

Maybe your a bit rough with the wires? I'd always be quite careful with any headphones. Fair enough if one or two sets break, but 4+ is excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Have mine now since November and their fine. Use them quite a lot as well. Which part of them breaks?

Maybe your a bit rough with the wires? I'd always be quite careful with any headphones. Fair enough if one or two sets break, but 4+ is excessive.

I'm not even sure, it always seems to be random, the left ear will suddenly go and then the right ear does a while later. Normally I'm fine with ear phones, they would last me several months, I think my old iphone ones lasted a good 8 or 9 months, but I'm barely getting a month now. I wonder if there could be a build up of lint in the jack? I might try give it a clean and see how I get on, or if there is something wrong with the jack itself, I don't know. I know it's a minor thing but buying earphone so often starts to add up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I don't know. I know it's a minor thing but buying earphone so often starts to add up!

What about other brand headphones. Pick up non Samsung ones. Some headphones out there do support phone controls if you need them.

Id say the best thing for you is to shell out a good bit of money on a wireless Bluetooth headset. Would solved all your wire problems. BT is cross handset compatible so it will always work with new phones too and you can use it as hands free in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I'm about to pull the trigger on an unlocked SIII on amazon.es. I live in Spain and have a Spanish sim card, but I'll be back in Ireland in the summer. Will I have any issues putting my Irish SIM card in there when I get back or should it be a perfectly smooth transition that doesn't affect whatever apps I have by that stage?

I'm an absolute novice when it comes to phones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

you might have to get your irish number transfered to a nano sim card thing but apart from that you should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

leemaree wrote: »

Look at the title of this particular thread... this happens every year... it will probably be out in June in Ireland as usual.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thought they already ruled out April and said it would be the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Should be an S4 'to be released' thread by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Anyone having trouble with bluetooth since the last update?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Well after much fighting with Samsung I finally got my replacement...

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble with bluetooth since the last update?

haven't really used it but i always found BT hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Looking for a useful non-qwerty keyboard as the standard Samsung keyboard is doing my head in. More used to using a numerical keypad and one that learns from twitter/facebook etc and let's me save words that I use frequently.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I'm not even sure, it always seems to be random, the left ear will suddenly go and then the right ear does a while later. Normally I'm fine with ear phones, they would last me several months, I think my old iphone ones lasted a good 8 or 9 months, but I'm barely getting a month now. I wonder if there could be a build up of lint in the jack? I might try give it a clean and see how I get on, or if there is something wrong with the jack itself, I don't know. I know it's a minor thing but buying earphone so often starts to add up!

I'm sorry but from all my experiences 8-9 'months normally' is not fine, I can't recall ever breaking even a single pair of earphones, and definitely not in the last seven or eight years. I'm not even particularly careful with them either, they just tend to be quite hard to render useless. The only things that have broken are headphones where the headband between the speakers have snapped structurally.

I don't know what you're doing with the earphones but surely your attrition rate has to have something to do with how you're using them regardless of device?

Syferus wrote: »
    I'm sorry but from all my experiences 8-9 'months normally' is not fine, I can't recall ever breaking even a single pair of earphones, and definitely not in the last seven or eight years. I'm not even particularly careful with them either, they just tend to be quite hard to render useless. The only things that have broken are headphones where the headband between the speakers have snapped structurally.

I don't know what you're doing with the earphones but surely your attrition rate has to have something to do with how you're using them regardless of device?

gotta agree with this 8 months is far from good from headphones (unless they are 2 euro ones or something)

i've had no issues with headphones and the phone bar me being stupid running over cables with the office chair, dropping them off a table (a lot) and things like that.

are you buying branded headphones, are they a decent brand, is the cable long enough to reach from pocket to head with a bit of space to spare, is the cable to long and gonna get tangled. you gotta ask youself al these questions when getting headphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Can anyone recommend a good set of speakers for the S3 for playing music aloud? Don't necessarily have to portable, mains plug in will do. Muchos gracias.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Can anyone recommend a good set of speakers for the S3 for playing music aloud? Don't necessarily have to portable, mains plug in will do. Muchos gracias.

any good set of PC speakers will do the job

i.e anything with a 3.5mm jack in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

I have the D100, highly recommend

These are the model up, can't go wrong for €50 quid

http://en.store.creative.com/bargains-corner/creative-d200-refurbished/618-21286.aspx

Review - Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Just after getting a small update there. Anyone else get it and knows what's in it. Haven't noticed any changes at all yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

s_carnage wrote: »
    Just after getting a small update there. Anyone else get it and knows what's in it. Haven't noticed any changes at all yet.

just checked mine, still no update available. (vodafone)
    i hope this new update solves the freezing problems. phone freezes at least 6 times a day. head wrecking.

Haven't had that problem but I did have a problem with mediaserver eating my battery. Will give it a few more days but my battery is a lot higher than it usually is at this stage of the day with the same usage and also very little mediaserver usage in my battery stats.

Think the update was only something like 70mb.

Haven't had that problem but I did have a problem with mediaserver eating my battery. Will give it a few more days but my battery is a lot higher than it usually is at this stage of the day with the same usage and also very little mediaserver usage in my battery stats.

Think the update was only something like 70mb.

far as i know reading xda forums its a common enough problem unfortunately.
    which network are u with?

far as i know reading xda forums its a common enough problem unfortunately.
    which network are u with?

With 3 but got a replacement phone in Jan and so it is totally unbranded. There were some apps that seem kind of German that came pre-loaded on it but I was able to uninstall them without having to root the phone. Weirdly once I installed the update last night them apps were reinstalled but I just cleared them straight-away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

With 3 but got a replacement phone in Jan and so it is totally unbranded. There were some apps that seem kind of German that came pre-loaded on it but I was able to uninstall them without having to root the phone. Weirdly once I installed the update last night them apps were reinstalled but I just cleared them straight-away.

Same here. My phone got sudden death syndrome and was sent back from repairs as network unlocked (I'm with 3).

Mediaserver is killing my battery too, but can't seem to solve it.

I've gone into all the folders and created "no media" files, because I read somewhere that mediaserver goes into a never ending loop if it's looking for media but can't find a file. That didn't help.

Weirdly, sometimes when the battery runs completely down, after the next charge the mediaserver problem is gone. But it doesn't disappear every time I empty the battery, so it's not a real solution to just run it completely down each time.

Very frustrating, and it seemed to only really become an issue about 6 week or so ago with an update through Kies. Since then I've been hoping Samsung will release s new firmware with the problem fixed, but no joy so far.....

i asked vodafone through their twitter when the software update is. they said there isn't one in the pipeline for next couple of months at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Sully wrote: »

Not sure if it's the same on all networks but I received the premium upgrade around 2 months ago with the update to 4.1.2. Multi window is the only thing I've used.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Won myself one of these bad boys today. Anyone got any tweaks/tips they'd like to recommend. Fingers crossed I get an unbranded one.

Just as my Xperia S is about to get Jellybean and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Really dont like how the camera protrudes from the body of the phone :/

Advertisement