Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dutch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

(just for a bit of balance)
    Cold, condescending, intrusive, anally retentive, hugely exaggerated sense of their own importance, tight as a gnat's chuff
    ,annons running about giving the place an unfounded reputation for wackiness. Like Germans but a bit taller and with worse food and beer.
    Spot on ...especially the 'tight as a gnats chuff ' . If you were in front of a dutch firing quad they wouldn't give you a last smoke before dying . :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

If you stay there long enough you'll end up speaking like them like this guy:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I worked there years ago and they are nice people. They all spoke English to me when i was there. Out of all the people i met there only one got a bit stroppy at having to speak English to me. So thats pretty good. Never got any bother out drinking either. Its a well run and mannerly country in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Most of the true points about the dutch have been said here already. Since i was 18 i have gone there at least three times a year.The first 10 times i was over there i would have said they were friendly,liberal ect but in truth there really not.A previous poster hit the nail on the head when he said there more polite than friendly.The Dutch really are not that liberal either they love money that is why you can buy cannabis there.I dislike the place the more and more i go i am giving Copenhagen a try this year for my weed smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

I couldn't speak of the entire Dutch population but the ones I've met have been decent, tall and honest. Their dress sense, however, is ****. I kind of like that though, they don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I love the Dutch there great people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

It is said that the Dutch always arrive before dinner and without gifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

cml387 wrote: »
    It is said that the Dutch always arrive before dinner and without gifts.

Ahm, not a single Irish person arriving here to dinner brought gifts :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Seanchai wrote: »
    Four pages and nobody mentioned:

William of Orange - not only the ultimate Orange Bastard, but one supported by the Roman Pope (as much as the average loyalist would be ignorant of that "contradiction") in his British-Roman Catholic conquest of Ireland from 1690.

Seeing as this thread is predicated upon generalisations, apart from being a humourless bunch of personality-deficient anglophiles, the Flemish side of Dutch culture has produced some fairly amazing landscape painting. Kudos on that.
    William of Orange, a great guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Jello wrote: »
    I was in Amsterdam last month and I honestly found them to be the friendliest nation of people I have ever come across.

Did you wipe it off and say you were sorry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

KeithAFC wrote: »

Never heard of him.... what do you think of the dutch tho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

woodoo wrote: »
    Never heard of him

He introduced the colour orange to Ireland.

He's often credited with curing the Irish of vitamin C deficiency as few were willing to eat purple fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The Dutch...well...if you go to the Netherlands as a German football supporter, it's sort dangerous. Went there when Borussia Dortmund played Feyenoord in the UEFA Cup final almost ten years ago, and it wasn't that nice at all :mad:

But that's football, apart from that I never had any issues with the Dutch...maybe one reason is, I'm German and speak a bit Nederlands ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

Ah sure you have, hes the guy who always spraytans himself

The dutch are a lovely bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

There's this old proverb......

"If the dutch and the irish changed places

the irish would drown

and the dutch would feed the world"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Personally found the Dutch i've met on my travels very nice people. Played in many international pitch and putt tournaments with them and they take it very seriously on the course but are very friendly people off it. Great bunch for a party too and love their beer,football,darts and plenty of other sports too!

Haven't been over there yet but hope to get to the Dutch Open this year in Bussloo. A lot of the people i've met were from Arnhem.

Not too dissimilar to the Irish i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Ah now :D, he's the gay guy who married his first cousin, rememba..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Also they have had some great footballers with insane commentators! This is fantasic just wouldn't sound the same with George Hamilton screaming out Robbie Keane,Robbie Keane,Robbie Keane!!!!

http://youtu.be/Uc1H2hOHu_s

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

In Amsterdam years ago and a guy comes up with a knife and says to me "give me 50 guilders or I'll stab you". I knew I only had 100 guilder note so I asked him if he'd change of a 100 hoping to defuse the situation. Top man took the 100 and gave me back a 50.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

They are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Funny looking fella though wouldn't you say?

http://www.comicbookreligion.com/img/o/o/Oompa_Loompas_2.jpg

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

having lived there for a couple of years, i'd say that they're polite but not friendly, with quite the superiority complex.
    their efficiency is great and makes life easy in all sorts of ways. however with so many immigrants you quickly get the feeling that you're doing all the donkey work and that their system is set up that way to purposefully exploit the foreigner as a cheap asset. in saying that though it might just be the same everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jewett

fryup wrote: »

the irish would drown

That is very apt. Can you imagine Ireland trying to keep a sophisticated
    system of dykes well maintained enough to keep the sea out?
    How the Dutch built a world-class economy on a swampland is quite
    amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Not realy, the Irish built what was the largest hydroelectric plant in the world at one stage

We're not entirely useless though some like to think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jewett

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Not realy, the Irish built what was the largest hydroelectric plant in the world at one stage

Yeah with a little bit of help from Siemens who designed and built it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardnacrusha_power_plant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

Germans are great people and have a great sense of humor. I won't entertain this German bashing. What do people have against them. An amazing country by all accounts!!!

Well I'm not bashing all German people. I'm sure most are great and some (I would assume) have a great sense of humour. Believe me when I tell you that that German woman I knew was an absolute head wreck. So much so that when I hear the accent I get flashbacks!

I gave her a DVD of the first series of "The Office" (the Ricky Gervais Version) and when I asked her what she thought of it she told me that she didn't find it funny. When I asked her what she thought of the David Brent charcter she replied, "I hate him". When I asked her what she thought was funny she said "Mr. Bean".:confused:

A sense of humour is completely subjective, but if I was talking to someone who preferred "Mr. Bean" over "The Office".....? I'm sure the're are some Dutch people who like "Mr. Bean" but the same rule applies. Unless the're female and good looking.:D

fryup wrote: »

the irish would drown

An old one but a good one ,with some element of truth to it .

Indeed ,like today is the 50th annivarsary of the space flight by John Glen at NASA and who was the man responsible for pressing the button to that 'Lift Off ' and many other NASA space flghts ? ...why none other than an Irishman named O Malley - fact :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭gk5000

We'll I'd be enclinded to trust an Irish Soldier/Peace Keeper more than the Dutch anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srebrenica_massacre

However one to remember if you really want to piss off an arrogant Dutch person is:
    Ask seriously as you can: Do you ever go hillwalking in Holland? It's a subtle insult as the place is so flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

A lot of people have mentioned how polite the Dutch are. Id completely agree, even the police have "polite" written on the back of their jackets.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Latchy wrote: »
    Indeed ,like today is the 50th annivarsary of the space flight by John Glen at NASA and who was the man responsible for pressing the button to that 'Lift Off ' and many other NASA space flghts ? ...why none other than an Irishman named O Malley - fact :cool:

When you say an Irishman, you mean an American, born in America to Irish parents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.J._O'Malley

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Poor man's Germany,and they know it.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    When you say an Irishman, you mean an American, born in America to Irish parents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.J._O'Malley
    Yea we wont split hairs here .

Irish American T J O'Malley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

just never walk past them on their right , or you'll suffer , boy will you suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I have only ever met really nice Dutch people. I know 5 individuals very well. All slim, medium to tall. decent looking, not sexually deviant (that I know of!) All very positive attitudes, good to spend time with ..
    Have been to Holland several times. People in shops and hotels all very efficient and pleasant... Big thumbs up to the Dutch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

A nice gay Dutch guy sold me a blue t-shirt with a UFO on it in Germany. True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

I'm half dutch and lived there for the first seven years of my life. I absolutely loved it and had so many great memories from my time there. I'm 18 now and was just there in july. The entire country is crazy efficient but the people are cold fvckers. It's a massively materialistic culture and seriously judgmental, this was made worse because of us living in a small town, so if you did something they didn't like everyone knew about it and they weren't subtle in letting you know about it. And the phrase going dutch is no exaggeration either, they're some of the tightest people on this planet. I guess because of us living in a small town these things were amplified but visiting there as an adult really opens up your eyes to how nasty and petty the dutch are and some of the stories my mam has are off the wall. Birds are class though, girl I got with wouldn't give blowjobs though the stingy ****, just goes to show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

With help from the Weimar Republic and Siemens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

They speak great English.

My Granny has a Dutch maiden name. So therefore I am Dutch. Huzzah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I liked the country so much that I decided to learn the language.
    It's really cool. Every 3rd word has a guttural sound somewhere in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

About 20 years ago my connecting flight from Schipol was snowed off. Train to main line station where a hotel tout took us to a seedy joint but it was bed and a few jars before an early flight. Up a narrow stairs to a garret bedroom ........ if there was a fire I'd be toast. Anyway a late night ensued and in my haste to get to the airport in the morning ........ I half ran most of the way to the train station. Had noticed that someone was coming after me and calling. 'Twas the cleaner .......... and he had my watch, ring and about 2500 euros in various currencies that I'd left by the wash hand basin. When I think of Amsterdam I remember this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Don't like the Dutch.

Only reason they actually exist is to ape British culture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Polders, I mean, what next?! Got my eye on you Holland! :pac:...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Seachmall wrote: »
    I was with my mates in Holland and we were stoned off our tits walking down the street, not really sure where we were going. A Dutch man stopped what he was doing, crossed the street and asked if we needed directions. We did and he promptly directed us where the main street was.

Another time we were out one of the nights heading to get food when a car pulled up, the guys in the car shouted something in Dutch which we didn't understand. I walked over to see what they wanted and they were selling cocaine. I told them I wasn't interested and if they knew of any good spots to get some grub. They recommended a place, told us how to get there and drove off.

I can, with confidence, say you would not find an elderly gentleman going for a Sunday stroll nor a cocaine dealer cruising around selling to tourists in Ireland as nice as you would in Holland.

I've been to over a dozen European countries, as well as 2 US cities and have never come across such helpful people.

Generalisations are fine when they're positive ;)

That wasn't cocaine they were selling. Probably crushed up paracetamol or something.

I've been twice. I find that quite a lot of them are a bit rude/stand-offish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    A lot of people have mentioned how polite the Dutch are. Id completely agree, even the police have "polite" written on the back of their jackets.

Sorry but it's "politie"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Re: The tightness thing + over estimation of their own importance. I worked with a Dutch guy before who used to ask the 2 girls there to pick him up a roll most times @ lunch. Everytime they brought him the roll he had to be reminded for the money whether it was at the end of the day or whatever.

His ego was huge, he practically thought he was running the company. Ignorant also. First day I was there I was trying to be friendly and said "hey im.." and just got a sharp blunt reply of "BUSY".

Went to college with a good few German people, alot of them were sound and had a sence of humour, some of them you would swear they are seeing a different world through their eyes than you are. Very cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Besides being nearly run over by cyclists everywhere you go ! Love the dutch, seem like a very friendly people in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I liked the country so much that I decided to learn the language.
    It's really cool. Every 3rd word has a guttural sound somewhere in it.
    Jij klootzac :P

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

What do people here think of the Dutch?
    I personally like them but prefer Germans, that's just my preference.
    I'd like to find out about the Dutch though. We all know about Amsterdam and dykes but I'd like to get a little more than that.
    What do people think of the people themselves. They are very tall, I know that much.
    Are they big in to sports? I know they really enjoy ice skating.
    What about religion though, are they big in to it, I imagine not.
    Is there a somewhat seedy element and deviancy to them?
    Would they be considered a friendly nation? I know there's a bit of a racism issue there, somewhat due to Moroccan immigrants.
    I'd love to hear from real Dutch people or people who know some or even regularly visit the country.
    I'd like to get as much information as possible without really focusing on Amsterdam.
    my grandmother(rip) was a dutch woman. all i can remember is she was always cheerful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement