Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Well done to the rossies moving in the right direction. Great underage talent really showed their worth today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

No doubt Roscommon are on the up. They were vastly superior to what turned out to be a very disappointing Cavan side.

The first half was a perfect example of why Donie Shine is so important to Roscommon. It was as bad a half of football as I've ever seen, but some of the wides from free kicks would have left an U16 manager tearing his hair out. Donie would have converted either all of them or almost all, they were that scorable.

At half-time I had no doubt come the second half, with the wind in their favour Roscommon would win, but the manner in which they did was very impressive. The support play throughout the team and the patience on the ball was impressive in really bad conditions. While Enda Smith was excellent, I thought the full-back line were virtually flawless, with Seanie Mc getting onto more ball than any other player on the pitch. The defending in general was very good again (like it was v Mayo until the last few minutes), very disciplined but in fairness, Cavan were pretty clueless once the ball went past midfield.

Midfield was good again, winning more than their fair share of kickouts, including the breaking ball and working very hard.

Diarmuid Murtagh played very well, getting better the longer the game went on (due to more space as Cavan were forced to go forward more). However, I thought Senan was back to his frustrating days again, losing a lot of possession, though he did work hard for the entire game. David O'Gara got on an awful lot of ball, but did lose it easily a few times and definitely seems to have lost his confidence in his shooting, which was always very solid until recently.

Anyway, it's another win and irrespective of who we get in the draw, this team will be hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

megadodge wrote: »
    No doubt Roscommon are on the up. They were vastly superior to what turned out to be a very disappointing Cavan side.

The first half was a perfect example of why Donie Shine is so important to Roscommon. It was as bad a half of football as I've ever seen, but some of the wides from free kicks would have left an U16 manager tearing his hair out. Donie would have converted either all of them or almost all, they were that scorable.

At half-time I had no doubt come the second half, with the wind in their favour Roscommon would win, but the manner in which they did was very impressive. The support play throughout the team and the patience on the ball was impressive in really bad conditions. While Enda Smith was excellent, I thought the full-back line were virtually flawless, with Seanie Mc getting onto more ball than any other player on the pitch. The defending in general was very good again (like it was v Mayo until the last few minutes), very disciplined but in fairness, Cavan were pretty clueless once the ball went past midfield.

Midfield was good again, winning more than their fair share of kickouts, including the breaking ball and working very hard.

Diarmuid Murtagh played very well, getting better the longer the game went on (due to more space as Cavan were forced to go forward more). However, I thought Senan was back to his frustrating days again, losing a lot of possession, though he did work hard for the entire game. David O'Gara got on an awful lot of ball, but did lose it easily a few times and definitely seems to have lost his confidence in his shooting, which was always very solid until recently.

Anyway, it's another win and irrespective of who we get in the draw, this team will be hard to beat.
    David O'Gara would never be known for his shooting
    he is a ball winning and carrying half forward ever since his minor days

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    David O'Gara would never be known for his shooting
    he is a ball winning and carrying half forward ever since his minor days

But on the rare times he did shoot he almost always scored (from either foot). His scoring rate per shots taken was very high. He was always good for a point or two per game, however now he doesn't score at all and looks decidedly nervous when he does try.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

yabadabado wrote: »
    Smith was MOTM by a distance and the defence did well but that first half performance was dismal.everything done at such a slow pace with little or no penatration.
    Cavan were pathetic.

We were pathetic but were missing 7/8 starters including 3 Ulster All Stars from last year. I knew a loss was coming but didn't expect that drubbing. We have a strong panel but the fact was it was our key performers we were missing. Losing Rory Dunne our full back was killer too. As with the League final, I still would have had ye as favourites even if they were there though.

Congrats to Roscommon. As much as I am sick of the sight of ye at all levels, I sincerely hope ye are the surprise of the Championship like we were last year.

Hopefully we'll have regrouped by Division 2 next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

megadodge wrote: »
    But on the rare times he did shoot he almost always scored (from either foot). His scoring rate per shots taken was very high. He was always good for a point or two per game, however now he doesn't score at all and looks decidedly nervous when he does try.

I think DOG might have to drop off to make way for Donie Smith the next day. The lack of a reliable right-side free-taker will be a serious liability in a close game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Syferus wrote: »
    I think DOG might have to drop off to make way for Donie Smith the next day. The lack of a reliable right-side free-taker will be a serious liability in a close game.

Enda Smith had no problem kicking them over from play on the right, I wonder could he do a job

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

our under 21s scored 13 of the 16 points today. none of them played a second up in croke park in the league final either. incredible to think roscommon scored 1-17 in the league final 11 weeks ago and not a single player who scored that day scored today.

Enda Smith had no problem kicking them over from play on the right, I wonder could he do a job

Conor Daly can knock them over in his sleep too but I wouldn't fancy him on frees!

Donie has done it at every level including senior and if we need an option for free-taking he's the obvious choice. Thought his play when he came on alone put him in contention but the fact we're so weak outside of Diarmuid/Senan's range on the left it might put him over the top. Cregger is one of the finest footballers we've produced but the lad ain't a free-taker and that point has been proven on many occasions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Great win for Ross. Always say that August football, front door or backdoor is their aim and take it from there.
    I am always sad when I think of the sudden loss of Dermot Earley. If ever there was a man I would want as a President of Ireland it was Dermot.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    We were pathetic but were missing 7/8 starters including 3 Ulster All Stars from last year. I knew a loss was coming but didn't expect that drubbing. We have a strong panel but the fact was it was our key performers we were missing. Losing Rory Dunne our full back was killer too. As with the League final, I still would have had ye as favourites even if they were there though.

Congrats to Roscommon. As much as I am sick of the sight of ye at all levels, I sincerely hope ye are the surprise of the Championship like we were last year.

How many were Cavan missing from the league final back in April. Those that started both games?

How many were Cavan missing from the league final back in April. Those that started both games?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Can't remember the last time Roscommon, Sligo, Galway and Mayo were still in the championship at this stage, Connacht Abu!

Syferus wrote: »
    Conor Daly can knock them over in his sleep too but I wouldn't fancy him on frees!

Donie has done it at every level including senior and if we need an option for free-taking he's the obvious choice. Thought his play when he came on alone put him in contention but the fact we're so weak outside of Diarmuid/Senan's range on the left it might put him over the top. Cregger is one of the finest footballers we've produced but the lad ain't a free-taker and that point has been proven on many occasions.

I wasn't particularly impressed with Donie Smith when he came on. Besides one very good point he got out near the corner, I remember mentioning three times in close succession after he came on that he was actually getting in the way of the ball-carrier instead of giving them room.

As for his free-taking, do you remember the 13m free kick straight in front of the Mayo goals last year? I have always had serious doubts about his mentality when the pressure is on, so I'd prefer not to see him taking frees. Plus, he lacks the sort of physical strength and ball-winning ability that David O'Gara has, so I can't see a direct swap, besides O'Gara is well worth his place.

League final team:

CAVAN: C Gilsenan; J Hayes, R Dunne, F Flanagan; J McEnroe, A Clarke, D O'Reilly; G McKiernan, K Brady; C Mackey, N McDermott, M Reilly; J Brady, M Dunne, E Keating. Subs: K Clarke for K Brady (27), M Argue for J McEnroe (52), M Lyng for J Brady (55), R Maloney-Derham for A Clarke (65), D Givney for M Lyng (67), K Tierney for E Keating (69).

Rory Dunne, Alan Clarke, Martin Dunne and Cian Mackey were all missing last night.

Killian Clarke and Dara McVeety didn't start league final because they were with U21s but they would have started last night if not unavailable. Both started vs Armagh and Clarke came on in the League final.

Kevin Tierney came on in league final and would have been most natural replacement for Martin Dunne but is also gone for the year.

Ronan Flanagan missed both League final and last night as he has taken a while away from the game due to a health issue earlier in the year.

As I said, I would still have fancied ye to beat us with these players available but I would have to hope our capitulation was due to having alot of key men missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

League final team:

CAVAN: C Gilsenan; J Hayes, R Dunne, F Flanagan; J McEnroe, A Clarke, D O'Reilly; G McKiernan, K Brady; C Mackey, N McDermott, M Reilly; J Brady, M Dunne, E Keating. Subs: K Clarke for K Brady (27), M Argue for J McEnroe (52), M Lyng for J Brady (55), R Maloney-Derham for A Clarke (65), D Givney for M Lyng (67), K Tierney for E Keating (69).

Rory Dunne, Alan Clarke, Martin Dunne and Cian Mackey were all missing last night.

Killian Clarke and Dara McVeety didn't start league final because they were with U21s but they would have started last night if not unavailable. Both started vs Armagh and Clarke came on in the League final.

Kevin Tierney came on in league final and would have been most natural replacement for Martin Dunne but is also gone for the year.

Ronan Flanagan missed both League final and last night as he has taken a while away from the game due to a health issue earlier in the year.

As I said, I would still have fancied ye to beat us with these players available but I would have to hope our capitulation was due to having alot of key men missing.
    Cavan team was pretty filleted pre game. Odds on Ros were most generous in Championship given close previous meetings, performance v Mayo n mainly the number of quality players Cavan had missing. Cavan had been favourites.

League final team:

So 11 or 12 of the same players started both games. Ye only lost the league final by a few points and missed a penalty a big change last night it seems that Armagh defeat in Ulster caused more damage than originally thought.

Cavan team was pretty filleted pre game. Odds on Ros were most generous in Championship given close previous meetings, performance v Mayo n mainly the number of quality players Cavan had missing. Cavan had been favourites.

I don't bet against teams I support but I do admit I told a friend from Meath yesterday morning to back Roscommon due to the number of players Cavan were missing. He got odds of 11/8 on Roscommon at -2. They were 4/5 with no handicap.

So 11 or 12 of the same players started both games. Ye only lost the league final by a few points and missed a penalty a big change last night it seems that Armagh defeat in Ulster caused more damage than originally thought.

4 starters from the League final were missing. 2 players that came on plus Flanagan who started every game last year and McVeety who started against Kerry and Armagh. It's all there above.

Those 4 starters missing were -

Alan Clarke - team captain.
    Cian Mackey - All Star nominee last year and GAA player of the month in July. Ulster All Star winner.
    Martin Dunne - second top scorer in the championship last year behind Cillian O'Connor and Ulster All Star winner.
    Rory Dunne - MoM against Kerry and full back.

You can either accept the point that Cavan were missing players, including key performers, or you don't.

As for the negative impact of Armagh, we've been on a bit of a downward spiral since the end of the League. A few different things have hit the panel including rumours regarding 2 panel members, a health scare for another, Killian Clarke and McVeety going to America for the Summer (they needed a break but it still hit the panel) and then the whole messing in Armagh and losing Dunne. Not to mention all the other injuries.

Division 2 promotion has been a positive but this time strives for some silverware and I do know losing both the McKenna Cup final and the Division 3 final hit them.

Hopefully we'll have regrouped and got over the injuries by the start of Division 3.

Anyway, this is a Roscommon thread. Well done yesterday and I sincerely hope ye are the success story of the qualifiers as I said yesterday.

Connacht final time. Good luck to the young lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

We got a good trashing from the mayos,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Well lads what do ye make of the draw?

Great bonus to be at home and confidence will be high after the second half performance last time out.
    No reason not to be optimistic again having beaten Armagh 2 years ago when we were at a low ebb after the galway hammering and in terms of the team management experience.
    Armagh are also an improved team from that day (McGeeney's influence?) and have great momentum following their win in omagh.
    Jamie Clarke will obviously take minding but our forwards can similarly hurt any opposition. Armagh will probably edge the physical stakes but I would be confident as long as we play to our strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

At least they beat Tyrone so they couldn't beat us again

It's a game that could go either way really. But I'd like to think the fact they're playing for the 4th week in a row will stand to Roscommon. If we're ahead in the 2nd half when the subs can come on and make an impact, we should win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I would expect ye to beat Armagh, ye have the talent and the skill to do it. Home advantage too.

Hope ye do - would be good to have a 3 if not 4 Connacht teams in the Quarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Blackjack wrote: »
    I would expect ye to beat Armagh, ye have the talent and the skill to do it. Home advantage too.

Hope ye do - would be good to have a 3 if not 4 Connacht teams in the Quarters.

Roscommon are two rounds away from the quarter finals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

If Ros beat Armagh they will more than likely play Meath

Kildare will beat Clare therefore they will play Monaghan/Donegal

Ros cannot play the Ulster runners up (unless Clare beat Kildare). Kildare have already played Meath.

Just like Galway had to play Tipp and Cork had to play Sligo. Galway v Sligo and Tipp v Cork had already faced off.

teams already in the quarters

Mayo
    Kerry
    Dublin/Meath (Dublin)
    Donegal/Monaghan
    Galway/Tipp
    Sligo/Cork

and then 2 teams from:

Ros/Armagh v Meath/Dublin (1 team)
    Clare/Kildare v Monaghan/Donegal (1 team)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

well win the 2 games to get ye there so.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therambler

There seems to be an air of optimism going around the county this week! Unusual for a young fella like myself to see Ros favourites against Armagh :P I just hope people arent jumping the gun a bit too soon.. After all, for all the progress made we still haven't beaten any of the "top" teams yet.. If Ros had been drawn against Tyrone again would they have come out with the same result as Armagh did? We really need to be winning these sort of games if we intend on staying in Division 2 next year and this will be a good measure of where we're really at!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

therambler wrote: »
    There seems to be an air of optimism going around the county this week! Unusual for a young fella like myself to see Ros favourites against Armagh :P I just hope people arent jumping the gun a bit too soon.. After all, for all the progress made we still haven't beaten any of the "top" teams yet.. If Ros had been drawn against Tyrone again would they have come out with the same result as Armagh did? We really need to be winning these sort of games if we intend on staying in Division 2 next year and this will be a good measure of where we're really at!

Armagh have dropped to Division 3.
    Ros should have enough firepower to win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I see Ros winning well. Were close to toppling Mayo and Mayo are still solidly top 3 in country.Smith/Murtagh/Kilbride 3 good forwards who can beat their men. Also physically I think Roscommon are fitter.

Advertisement