Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not sure why but this sprung to mind:

It was just like that , but without the svelte athleticism of Bill Bailey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

CJC999 wrote: »
    No I was only joking, they're bringing in wheel tax instead, cyclists will pay half that of cars.

I've already paid a wheel tax - it's called VAT :(

Any truth that the new wheel tax will be on a sliding scale - the deeper the section, the steeper the tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Just would like to see what you gents think of the following. I have a friend who moved to Geneva a couple of months back. He says that all bikes there have to be insured, costs about 80 euro a year. This covers you if you plough into a car or something I'd imagine. A portion of the payment goes to Geneva City Council. Any bike that is not displaying a disk is sized by the council and sold at auction after 14 days. So what I'm asking is,

1. Would you support a scheme like that in cities (Dublin,Cork) etc. Obviously it wouldn't work in bally go backwards but it could work in a city setting.
    2. If not, why not?
    3. What cycling facilities would you improve/provide with money generated from such a scheme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

1. Would you support a scheme like that in cities (Dublin,Cork) etc. Obviously it wouldn't work in bally go backwards but it could work in a city setting.

No because the government would use it to generate revenue and increase it in the budget each year.

2. If not, why not?

See No. 1

3. What cycling facilities would you improve/provide with money generated from such a scheme?

N/A

Just would like to see what you gents think of the following. I have a friend who moved to Geneva a couple of months back. He says that all bikes there have to be insured, costs about 80 euro a year. This covers you if you plough into a car or something I'd imagine. A portion of the payment goes to Geneva City Council. Any bike that is not displaying a disk is sized by the council and sold at auction after 14 days. So what I'm asking is,

2. If not, why not?

Swiss liability and insurance laws might be very different. Most Irish cyclists have third party liability under their household insurance, a significant portion also have Cycling Ireland insurance which covers them when they're training.

I wouldn't support any scheme that discouraged cycling and it would raise major questions about liability for Bikeshare schemes (for instance the most likely response would be a significant increase in the subscription to cover the liability insurance). The cost of living in Geneva is horrendously high as it is so this sort of thing may not have the same impact it would here.

For instance, in Geneva that annual fee is the cost of ten cups of coffee here it would be more like Thirty two cups of coffee.

Also whether the revenue gathered would pay for much cycling infrastructure is dubious, infrastructure isn't nearly as much of a problem as road user behaviour. Even on the best cycle lanes we have people are constantly cycling the wrong way, walking, parking, driving, letting children play on scooters etc, bicycles belong on the road governed by grown up rules.

Aside from improved parking facilities the best infrastructural improvements would be to discourage motor traffic in cities and neutralising the previous three or four decades of work to bias our cities towards driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

So what I'm asking is,

2. If not, why not?

A 1) No.
    A 2) Any form of Govt/Council devised 'cost' is only a gateway to further hikes in the future. €80 this year. €120 next etc etc and will only serve to disincentivise city cycling. It will always be open to abuse especially in this country.
    A 3) A brand new cycle path from my house to my work. Pan flat and fully lit with little espresso huts dotted all along the route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I thought the vignette was done away with two or three years ago?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

2. If not, why not?

Think this should maybe get a thread of its own.

1. No

2. It would represent a barrier to cycling and to casual cycling in particular and you cannot compare Swiss local government to Irish local government - there'd be no guarantee it would be spent on cycling infra-structure; that it would be spent effectively and equitably; and that it wouldn't be used as a revenue stream by the city councils

3. If it was to go through, then I'd like to see it spent on developing NEW cycling related projects, rather than maintaining existing ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

CJC999 wrote: »
    No I was only joking, they're bringing in wheel tax instead, cyclists will pay half that of cars.
    Will that mean I can now openly mock the unicyclist I see on the Clontarf cycle track because he pays less tax? I suppose rollerbladers will become more aggressive too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I just pulled a grey hair from my head, I'm old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

When there are no longer any grey hairs left to pull from your head, then you're old!

You're not old, you're distinguished.........and wait til you starting finding grey pubes :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jawgap wrote: »
    You're not old, you're distinguished.........and wait til you starting finding grey pubes :D

Jeebus, I have just had to cancel lunch! that image is going to haunt me! :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

When there are no longer any grey hairs left to pull from your head, then you're old!

I must be super efficient, I just went straight from full head of Brown hair to a solar panel with trimmings.

I do have grey in my beard though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

They wouldn't be discussing grey hairs on the party bus ........

MAN DOWN.......The curse of Blakes cross strikes again.
    Waiting in Beaumont x-ray to see what damage is done to my shoulder.
    Bloody sore now BUT not looking forward to the morning.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

bcmf wrote: »
    Hope you are OK bcmf. What happened - did you get hit? Was it cutting back across the filter lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Eh....what about the bike? How's the bike? Eh?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Eh....what about the bike? How's the bike? Eh?
    I'll keep my eye out for it on the way home - dump it out of site in a ditch hide it somewhere discrete if I see it ...

• Advertisement

... but even more importantly, were you wearing the Boards gear, and if so, how did it fare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hope everything is OK bcmf.

Coming from Lusk, turning right for Lusk or passing on the R132?? I'm interested as I go through that junction dozens of times each week.

Beasty wrote: »
    ... but even more importantly, were you wearing the Boards gear, and if so, how did it fare?
    yes at the filter lane at opposite the Esso and yes boards jacket. Its scarred but useable. The long sleeve jersey I was wearing underneath was in a worse state strangley enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hope you're alright bcmf!

So I guess you're organizing the next jersey order, congratulations!

yes at the filter lane at opposite the Esso and yes boards jacket. Its scarred but useable. The long sleeve jersey I was wearing underneath was in a worse state strangley enough

How did it happen? Is the surface dodgy?

Anyway, hopefully you'll have a quick recovery!

Hope you're alright bcmf!

So I guess you're organizing the next jersey order, congratulations!
    If I do it will be full euro pink.That will keep the numbers below 3

• Advertisement

If I do it will be full euro pink.That will keep the numbers below 3
    From this thread maybe - head over to the other one and they'll be crawling all over you for a bit of pink ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    From this thread maybe - head over to the other one and they'll be crawling all over you for a bit of pink ....

More so brown, I'd say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

RIP Vacansoleil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Are they gone as a team? I heard that they are due to secure new sponsor.

Speedy recovery bcmf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Are they gone as a team? I heard that they are due to secure new sponsor.

Speedy recovery bcmf

The DS is starting another ProConti team. But the ProTeam is gone afaik.

• Advertisement

Mrs bcmf has pointed out that our cat eats healthier then my youngest.
    leave your dinner unattended for the briefest moment and hacker t.cat will have a go at whatever is on the plate.
    Caught the cat eating a mushroom yesteday. This eve he tried to swipe my peach cobbler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭ratracer

Mrs bcmf has pointed out that our cat eats healthier then my youngest.
    leave your dinner unattended for the briefest moment and hacker t.cat will have a go at whatever is on the plate.
    Caught the cat eating a mushroom yesteday. This eve he tried to swipe my peach cobbler.

You need to get tough with the cat. Make it watch the start of love/hate over and over again until it gets the message....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

Anyone else notice the repair help section of Park Tools website has lost a load of content? Was a couple of minutes into replacing the whole drivetrain (for the first time) when it gave me a 404 for a page I'd been on minutes before.

Needless to say, the repair hasn't gone well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Cyclocross, Belgian style:

Ronse_017-660x440.jpg

Ronse_020-660x440.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

When did Joe become 'Jan', or did I miss something??

PS Speedy recovery BCMF

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    When did Joe become 'Jan', or did I miss something??

Ding ding! You spotted it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Ding ding! You spotted it!

That smacks of Government. Get a mandate form the people and then do whatever the hell you want! Vive la Party Bus!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    That smacks of Government. Get a mandate form the people and then do whatever the hell you want! Vive la Party Bus!

Well we do try to be as Euro as possible here. Silvio would approve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

813047de4b1335ac776594a9a7d88d70.jpg

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    When did Joe become 'Jan'
    Sunday;)

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    In the voice of Eric Morecambe - "all the right words are there, but not necessarily in the right place ..."

Too good not to share.

Too scary for the party bus.

http://youtu.be/olEbwhWDYwM

Jan doesn't care about road tax. Talk to Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

dxxyH.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Phew, Thank God he had his helmet one!
    buffalo wrote: »
    As you can see from the GIF above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

no high vis :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Quoting animated GIFs makes internet baby jesus cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Darwin Award winner

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    Quoting animated GIFs makes internet baby jesus cry.

I think it was just wind

• Advertisement

181eb2ee3bdfb5953a6c790773aa6899990c88cdab84e522231d9178aabb87c0.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement