Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

They have already received 3 reality checks from Mayo, Dublin & Kerry. How many more do they need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

5 championship debutants with a lot of injured players.
    Only flew over on Thursday.

Job done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

It's a surprising result, but at the end of the day, they won and that's all that really matters. A tight game might not be the worst thing in the world for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Ye got the win lads move on.

Just be thankful you are not from Wicklow then you would have something to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    New York's results in the championship the last 20 years

ChZtc0NWUAEt7zH.jpg

The fact that New York scored 0-17 is pretty damming for the Roscommon defence when you look at the totals they have scored over those 20 years.

AFAIK the game in 2010 was a draw, and Galway won in et.
    No need for hyperbole here, a win is a win. Onwards to Carrick-on-Shannon in 3 weeks:it's perfect. The Laytrum crowd now have hope in their hearts:let's snatch that away in 3 weeks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ebbsy wrote: »
    Ye got the win lads move on.

Just be thankful you are not from Wicklow then you would have something to complain about.

To be fair its mostly non Roscommon fans having a go. Boom_boom is from Kerry, tod is from mayo and prouddub is obviously from dublin

Regardless its still a shocking display but at least we won't have anyone creating fake Roscommon gaa twitter and facebook accounts this year. we won't have anymore fake Roscommon posters on here attempting to rile up rival fans and getting many to bite. we won't have the likes of James Horan, john Casey, john maughan or tommy carr on national radio building us up for months only to ask what all the hype was about when we lose..despite the fact it was them who were creating most of that hype

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No need for hyperbole here, a win is a win. Onwards to Carrick-on-Shannon in 3 weeks:it's perfect. The Laytrum crowd now have hope in their hearts:let's snatch that away in 3 weeks ;)

Galway was not a AET win, they won it in 70mins but some were surprised by their performance.

A Div 1 team beating NY by a point has to be a worry, especially after their poor performances v Mayo, Dublin and Kerry.

A win is a win is just a cliché that hides reality.
    These guys are a nothing team and may not even be good enough to get to a QF as provincial loser on the easy A side of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I love the way certain posters always make an appearance after Ros have a poor result.
    Similar to the sad bastards who were making fake social media accounts last year, got to wonder what kinda person gets a kick out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Tools.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I love the way certain posters always make an appearance after Ros have a poor result.
    Similar to the sad bastards who were making fake social media accounts last year, got to wonder what kinda person gets a kick out of that.

Most of it is only continuing the discussion that has been going on around this Roscommon outfit since early last year.

There was a lot of talk about their promotion to Div 1, possible Connacht champs, then their losses to Sligo and Fermanagh, then came the high profile managerial appointments, then their great start to the league and their poor finish.

NY was their chance to regroup and kick start their champaign, but they scraped past with a record low winning margin for this fixture.

You hardly expect us to sit idly by and not comment, we would be doing the form a disservice.

• Advertisement

I wasn't having a go. I was making the point that a county that lost its last 3 games, can hardly be in need of a reality check. It is perfectly valid point and I stand by it.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I wasn't having a go. I was making the point that a county that lost its last 3 games, can hardly be in need of a reality check. It is perfectly valid point and I stand by it.

But the Roscommon fans are in such a bad place right now anything as everything will be construed as "having a go".

As I said this was the game to kick start the campaign, but it was a mess.

Maybe in a few weeks they will roll over Leitrim and the chins will be up again, but for now they a questioning this team and management, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

It's n tg4 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭blowitupref

2003 Leitrim is the one New York game that went to extra time. 2010 New York might have pulled off a shock but they got two men sent off in the 2nd half.

ProudDUB wrote: »

Same could be said of Mayo after the reality check against London in 2011. Mayo had lost to Sligo div 3 and Longford div 4 in 2010 in the championship and only won 2 of their 7 Div one NFL games Mayo really should have went into that game against winless London more focused but they were lucky to bring that game into extra time. As they say the rest is history since.

Roscommons championship season will be judged after its over. The writing is either on the wall after that New York game yesterday or it could be a blessing in disguise and turning point to brighter days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

But the Roscommon fans are in such a bad place right now anything as everything will be construed as "having a go".

As I said this was the game to kick start the campaign, but it was a mess.

Maybe in a few weeks they will roll over Leitrim and the chins will be up again, but for now they a questioning this team and management, and rightly so.

Where are these Roscommon fans on here that are questioning the team and management?
    The vast majority of Roscommon fans can see the progress that is being made but are fully aware that the road ahead is still a very long one. Yourself and like minded posters point out the poor end to our league campaign, fair enough but a bit of perspective please, this is still a very young side and it's only fair 5 years since we were being comfortably beaten in a division 4 league final so I don't think ya will see any Roscommon fan throwing out the baby with the bath water.

From written reports it was a poor performance but these things can happen and I still have every confidence in the management team for the coming season and ore importantly the next few years.

On the weekend that your own county won its 5th All Ireland U21 title it's pretty sad that you have to concern yourself with a side you previously stated were barely a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just heard Cian Connolly has a fractured jaw.

And I wouldn't mind but he absolutely roasted Mulloolly in a club game last weekend with a brilliant display.

Just on this.

From talking to a friend who was in NY, he reckoned there should have been 5 black cards dished out to NY players including the keeper for a blatant trip for the penalty.the referee was very lenient on NY.
    Ros missed a bucket load of goal chances through ploy finishing.
    There were a lot of distractions for Ros players from once their got to NY with functions and fans 'meet and greets'.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Just on this.

From talking to a friend who was in NY, he reckoned there should have been 5 black cards dished out to NY players including the keeper for a blatant trip for the penalty.the referee was very lenient on NY.
    Ros missed a bucket load of goal chances through ploy finishing.
    There were a lot of distractions for Ros players from once their got to NY with functions and fans 'meet and greets'.

No more than every other Connacht team that plays this fixture.

Where are these Roscommon fans on here that are questioning the team and management?
    The vast majority of Roscommon fans can see the progress that is being made but are fully aware that the road ahead is still a very long one. Yourself and like minded posters point out the poor end to our league campaign, fair enough but a bit of perspective please, this is still a very young side and it's only fair 5 years since we were being comfortably beaten in a division 4 league final so I don't think ya will see any Roscommon fan throwing out the baby with the bath water.

From written reports it was a poor performance but these things can happen and I still have every confidence in the management team for the coming season and ore importantly the next few years.

On the weekend that your own county won its 5th All Ireland U21 title it's pretty sad that you have to concern yourself with a side you previously stated were barely a team.

I'm still enjoying the U 21 win thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Galway was not a AET win, they won it in 70mins but some were surprised by their performance.

A Div 1 team beating NY by a point has to be a worry, especially after their poor performances v Mayo, Dublin and Kerry.

A win is a win is just a cliché that hides reality.
    These guys are a nothing team and may not even be good enough to get to a QF as provincial loser on the easy A side of the draw.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Mayo have a reasonably good year after London should have beaten them a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

The circumstances around the Mayo/London match a few years ago were a bit different, to be fair. Mayo were at a low ebb after coming out of the awful O'Mahony era, and that match was just the very beginning of James Horan building them back up again.

On Roscommon, I still fully expect them to be in the CF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I'm still enjoying the U 21 win thank you very much.

By coming onto a Roscommon thread. Wow your life must be sad.

TimRiggins wrote: »

Roscommon v NY was the first game of the championship.
    And instead of it being the challenge match that it usually is it turn out to be a very close run thing.

Now I personally think that is worthy of discussion.
    Fair enough it was not on TV so its hard to analyse but it seems that a lot of folks here just don't want to talk about the poor recent form of their team full stop.

I'd expect Roscommon to recover from it and deal with Leitrim without much fuss, but then again I expected them to deal with NY without any fuss.

Maybe the discussion will get going when any posters that might have been there get back home and start to writing about it.

Trolling
    Go off and enjoy the win

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Trolling
    Go off and enjoy the win

No, not trolling.

I'll leave it until after Leitrim, ye might be more engaging then regardless of outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

theres a lot of talk about fellas being out in pubs the night before the game and plenty of Porter getting drunk, I hope its not true

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

For a lad who thinks Ros are "a nothing team" "barely a team" he sure likes coming in here and showing great concern for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

There was a lot of talk about their promotion to Div 1, possible Connacht champs, then their losses to Sligo and Fermanagh, then came the high profile managerial appointments, then their great start to the league and their poor finish.

Just like all your talk of Mayo winning the All Ireland every year and they should expect to be in the final...

fullstop wrote: »
    Just like all your talk of Mayo winning the All Ireland every year and they should expect to be in the final...

If you took the time to research you would see the following.

I was convinced they would get to the final in 2013.
    I was worried for them in 2014 and 2015 based on improvements in Connacht and the losses of the previous years, added to by the continuing ageing and lack of new blood in the squad.

I'm confident they can make the final this year based primiarly on the draw but also because players needing to prove something, and the continuing maturation of players like Dirumaid O Connor and Evan Regan.

• Advertisement

TimRiggins wrote: »

Oh for goodness sake !

It is the first week of May. The first championship game of the year has just been played & it didn't go exactly as expected. People are going to be interested in that, & want to talk about it, regardless of where they are from. It doesn't make them, or their lives, sad. Lighten up.

Advertisement