Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

The Dublin-Donegal match was a thrashing. There were only 4 scores separating Kerry and Roscommon. And one of those was the most blatant example of over-carrying I have seen.

10 points is a thrashing.

megadodge wrote: »
    Gloating is the national pasttime in Mayo.

And whinging, of course!!

All Ireland Champions, apparently

naughto wrote: »
    you would think with there shiny bus that they would turn up at least today

Whose?Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Mayo supporters really are a sad bunch of *****.Of all support to slag a team off for getting a hiding in Croker you would think they would be last in line.

A mod then to post about a fella going back to an asylum is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Dublin-Donegal match was a thrashing. There were only 4 scores separating Kerry and Roscommon. And one of those was the most blatant example of over-carrying I have seen.

Apart from the couple of scores in the opening 10mins or so that had Roscommon in the lead, they were never in that game, Kerry were in complete control, it was a thrashing.

Ye did what ye had to do early on in the league which was guarantee survival, but since then it has all been downhill, ye could not lay a finger on Kerry yesterday.

And if I were a Roscommon fan that would worry me for 2016, but the flip side is 2016 will be a good learning experience for 2017.

• Advertisement

Barlett wrote: »
    The Mayo supporters coming into this forum gloating about Roscommon losing is really sad & pathetic, we're hardly falling overselves with All-Irelands. Also its a shame we don't see more supporters like Paddy Joe Burke.

I wouldn't have much love for Roscommon fans, mainly due to some quite frankly psychotic gloating at myself and other Mayo supporters at the 2001 Connaught Final - but after watching that video of him, I was really hoping for a Roscommon win today. Anyway still think you'll get another outing in Croke Park this year.

Comments against Paddy Joe Burke, he is a genuine and well known Roscommon Supporter, who sees the positive side of the county team at all times, even when we are running for the train home, with 10-15 minutes left against Mayo in a Castlebar massacre . Comments made about him are out of order. People like him is what keep the GAA scene alive.

Don't worry about that 2001 treatment, we got plenty of it in 1999 (when we thought things were on the up after 1998) and many many more days in Castlebar.

I suspect that many of those Roscommon fans who acted idiotically towards you were not really football men. Then again, the shock of Lohan's last ditch goal might have gone to their heads . Mayo lost a man through Frankie Dolan's acting. To be fair Dolan did try to talk to the referee not to send him off. Then again, referee sent off our Francie Grehan to balance the books

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

We played the 2 best teams in the country over the last week and got beaten which I think most people expected.It would have been great to have gotten closer to Kerry yesterday but they were a couple of levels above us.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Mayo supporters really are a sad bunch of *****.Of all support to slag a team off for getting a hiding in Croker you would think they would be last in line.

A mod then to post about a fella going back to an asylum is very low.

The mod should be reported on. Abuse.

Attacks, which moderators of Boards.ie apparently disapprove of , tend to get censured, when they do not like the agendas.

To say Paddy Joe Burke is an ass, is one thing, that is harmless stuff; it is wrong but harmless. But to make references to the "asylum" are out of order.

Unlike many GAA people, especially from certain counties, and even part of our own; ignorant and clueless are not comments you could attach to Paddy Joe Burke

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I was at the game yesterday. I think Roscommon could learn a lot from it and some of the lads never gave up. I think over all it will be a great eye opener for the lads.

I thought Sean McDermott was very good , attacking from the back in the first half to his move forward in the second half.

One thing out the gap between the two in perspective for me was on the first half when Donaghy moved into space on the wing and called for a cross field ball, ciaran murtagh watched him call for it, looked at the space and just moved into the square letting Donaghy win a ball uncontested and a handy score followed, it was like as of he didn't want to know. I'm sure all these things will be looked at, but Donaghy was super yesterday and Cathal Shine only showed a couple of times how good he could be, he was out of position and out of the game a lot yesterday, in fairness to Donie I know some of you don't think he has the engine for 8 or 9 but he showed he can read a game better than the starting line up imo anyway

Lots of ground to make up to be as physically tuned into playing the top 4, but there are some good lads there and with the right set up huge improvements could be made. It think it's been a great year for Roscommon so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Apart from the couple of scores in the opening 10mins or so that had Roscommon in the lead, they were never in that game, Kerry were in complete control, it was a thrashing.

Ye did what ye had to do early on in the league which was guarantee survival, but since then it has all been downhill, ye could not lay a finger on Kerry yesterday.

And if I were a Roscommon fan that would worry me for 2016, but the flip side is 2016 will be a good learning experience for 2017.

I'm not from Roscommon. From Mayo.

• Advertisement

I'm not from Roscommon. From Mayo.

My post regarding Roscommon league season was not aimed at you, but at the Roscommon fan base in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Lt Dan wrote: »
    you would think with there shiny bus that they would turn up at least today

Whose?Mayo?
    Add your reply here.
    Ah what I was in about the rossies not turning up. There was a few on here that wanted us to get relegated badly.
    You will win nothing if ye have no midfield the last 3 games proved that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There's not really a single fanbase in Connacht that can afford to snigger at another provincial side being bottlers. Rossies are bottlers, Mayo are bottlers and Galway in both codes show severe bottler tendencies. Never have confidence basically :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think the "bottler" tag is a bit unfair and pretty lazy. I wouldn't call the Galway hurlers bottlers (inconsistent would be more appropriate imo) and their footballers won the All-Ireland in more recent memory than any other Connacht team. While Mayo have had days in Croke Park they'd rather forget, they've also had days there when they've acquitted themselves very well and come very close. Roscommon had a poor day out the last day. It happens to pretty much every team. It has probably given Roscommon an idea of what is expected of them at the highest level. I'm sure they'll get another go at it and maybe next time they'll be better prepared for the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

There's not really a single fanbase in Connacht that can afford to snigger at another provincial side being bottlers. Rossies are bottlers, Mayo are bottlers and Galway in both codes show severe bottler tendencies. Never have confidence basically :(

The Galway hurlers are inconsistent but they aren't bottlers. They had a great year last year. They were just beaten by a better team in the final.

In the football galway might be weak at the moment but I don't think id call them bottlers. When they were a force back in the late 90's/early00's they appeared in 4 all ireland finals and won 2.

Add your reply here.
    Ah what I was in about the rossies not turning up. There was a few on here that wanted us to get relegated badly.
    You will win nothing if ye have no midfield the last 3 games proved that

I was not the first to comment about another county. A bit rich for Mayo to comment about turning up or not turning up at Croke Park, for the past 20 years bar a few great games.

In context, our appearances at Croker in the last few years, mostly league and underage, have been pretty decent actually

I for one do not begrudge Mayo in their success at National level. Heaven knows how we have yearned for their misery to end

Agree about the midfield issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

The bottom line is very simple Dublin and Kerry are in a different planet not province to every other county in Ireland.Both games to my eye were very one sided and the gulf in class was very apparent.Dublin train three times a day every day with a million euro bankroll to back up their professional attitude.Kerry may not have Dublin's wealth but have a similar attitude to winning.Not one player from either Roscommon/Donegal would get near the Dublin/Kerry bench that is the gulf in class so enjoy the summer championship for what it is and the level of success it brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

sting60 wrote: »
    Not one player from either Roscommon/Donegal would get near the Dublin/Kerry bench that is the gulf in class so enjoy the summer championship for what it is and the level of success it brings.

Just to answer this in the easiest way possible but Michael Murphy says hello!

Could list more names but why bother

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therambler

Is there anywhere to watch the game this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

therambler wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to watch the game this evening?
    Any luck on on watching the game ? Can't seem to find it anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Ros only 1 up into injury time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

What in the name of fcuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Roscommon win by 1 point.

Some surprise there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭megadodge

Roscommon win by one point!

Hmmmm, I know NY is just about getting the win and hoping there are no injuries, but one point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Didn't see that score line coming. A win is a win mind. I know I'd happily take an all Ireland if we were to win by only one point in every game on the way to it.

Roscommon need to cop on to themselves.

Bad results v Mayo, Dublin and Kerry in quick succession, now this.

NY have never got as close to any other team in the almost 20 years they have been in this championship.
    And they have played a lot of bad teams in that time.

What's wrong Rossies, how come this win was not a formality ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

New York's results in the championship the last 20 years

ChZtc0NWUAEt7zH.jpg

The fact that New York scored 0-17 is pretty damming for the Roscommon defence when you look at the totals they have scored over those 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It's amazing that a team of exiled club players (mostly) can put it up to a division 1 team like this. Would have been one of the greatest shocks of all time.

They've threatened it on occasions though and had Galway on the ropes a few years ago aswell. Problem is they never manage to keep the same team together as there's too much turnover of players.

For Roscommon it's a case of job done and you move on to the next day but for Connaught teams in general it's another lesson that this can be a fixture fraught with danger because you never quite know what you're going to get from NY they're the ultimate unknown quantity whenever you play them.

So I wouldn't over-analyse this one. It's probably a case of a New York team that was a bit better than usual and a Ros team that was understandably a bit complacent. Ye got the win anyway and it's a bit of a reality check from the hype that was surrounding the team a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

aidan24326 wrote: »
    It's amazing that a team of exiled club players (mostly) can put it up to a division 1 team like this. Would have been one of the greatest shocks of all time.

They've threatened it on occasions though and had Galway on the ropes a few years ago aswell. Problem is they never manage to keep the same team together as there's too much turnover of players.

For Roscommon it's a case of job done and you move on to the next day but for Connaught teams in general it's another lesson that this can be a fixture fraught with danger because you never quite know what you're going to get from NY they're the ultimate unknown quantity whenever you play them.

So I wouldn't over-analyse this one. It's probably a case of a New York team that was a bit better than usual and a Ros team that was understandably a bit complacent. Ye got the win anyway and it's a bit of a reality check from the hype that was surrounding the team a few weeks ago.

After last years carry-on the last thing Roscommon can afford to be is complacent.

If they were then they have obviously learned nothing.

Advertisement