Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

jmcc wrote: »
    I think you are going to need a bigger spray can. :)

Regards...jmcc
    Has it come to this now here that a person can't say a word that you all don't agree with but they're shouted down. If my 9 year old did this defaming my text like you did I'd have him out picking a switch out of the hedge I can tell you! He'd learn his lesson fine and quick so he would.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jmcc

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    Has it come to this now here that a person can't say a word that you all don't agree with but they're shouted down. If my 9 year old did this defaming my text like you did I'd have him out picking a switch out of the hedge I can tell you! He'd learn his lesson fine and quick so he would.
    :mad:
    Defacing your text rather than defaming it. But then the facade is beginning to crumble. Besides, I was only quoting. And it was a paraphrasing of a line from the movie "Jaws". I'm surprised that Marty never played any of the iconic music from that movie on his show.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Reveal yourself Yvonne. It's time to end this farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

And, as well Mart didn't mention flash! I think it's a sign that Mart is as cultured as anyone because he goes to art galleries. Today too he had a bit for us about a doctor who broke a finger on a statue in Italy. I still can't work out when Mart is heading over to Italy.
    We're all part of Marty's Army.
    We're all off to Italy!

I know right... There is nothing that shows culture like marching straight through the louvre to the Mona Lisa, taking a photo, and marching back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭limnam

pwurple wrote: »
    I know right... There is nothing that shows culture like marching straight through the louvre to the Mona Lisa, taking a photo, and marching back out.

Millions of people from all walks of life take pictures of the Mona Lisa.
    I think feeling embarrassed that you reside in the same country as Marty because of this is bordering on juvenile.

There's no question that Marty's personality, musical taste and smutty remarks towards Rebecca have no place on Lyric. But what's really embarrassing is his listenership figures for a morning breakfast show.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    I think feeling embarrassed that you reside in the same country as Marty because of this is bordering on juvenile.

There's no question that Marty's personality, musical taste and smutty remarks towards Rebecca have no place on Lyric. But what's really embarrassing is his listenership figures for a morning breakfast show.

Hear! hear! :cool:

People here will be pleased because this morning we had a man in from Danish Lyric FM in Copenhagen chatting about how it's done there which is like the way it's done here more or less. He's a musician too himself. Listen back on the Player after 9 for the interview. And as well as Bruce being in town today is the Edge's birthday who Mart called him The Hedge when he was dedicating a tune to him. ;) Everyday is like this. :)

Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen as Mart said. :eek:

And Anton phoned in to say he loves the show and had it on everywhere in the house and in the garden and car. Mart asked him to stay on the line to hear Niall Carroll who is coming up. :)

Yvonne23R,
    How come you never post during Marty's show?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Yvonne23R,
    How come you never post during Marty's show?

Regards...jmcc

Oh come on, give him/her a break :D Those Hugo essays, adoring letters from the Brigadier, The Talking Cat and all those text messages from his legions of devoted 'fans' don't spraypaint write themselves you know ;)

It's busy, busy time for Y23R during the show methinks.

europa11 wrote: »
    Oh come on, give him/her a break :D Those Hugo essays, adoring letters from the Brigadier, The Talking Cat and all those text messages from his legions of devoted 'fans' don't spraypaint write themselves you know ;)

It's busy, busy time for Y23R during the show methinks.
    It might explain how those cards praising Marty's choice of music are delivered to RTE before the music is played. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Expunge

this morning we had a man in from Danish Lyric FM in Copenhagen chatting about how it's done there which is like the way it's done here more or less.

That must be why the Danish State Broadcaster downgraded the station, taking it off FM and on to DAB and web only during the day. It's on FM only on evenings and overnight.

• Advertisement

Hear! hear! :cool:

People here will be pleased because this morning we had a man in from Danish Lyric FM in Copenhagen chatting about how it's done there which is like the way it's done here more or less........... :)

Never heard of "Danish LyricFM" but whatever it's called I doubt if there's any classical radio station in the world, and least of all in Denmark, that would lay claim to "doing it like the way it's done" by Marty Whelan.

The Danes wouldn't put up with it. Somehow we do.

hawley wrote: »
    I know of someone who worked for a few weeks on a radio programme with Marty. She was on a college placement, so she was basically on the lowest rung of the ladder as regards office politics, with Marty being on the highest one. Well, he treated her like pure garbage for the month she was there. Now, she has a rather large proboscis which Marty proceeded to mock her over for the duration of her stay by making honking noises, putting bogeys in her sandwiches and calling her Pinocchio. But, she said that when anyone attached to even the slightest hint of celebrity came in, he virtually prostrated himself before then and engaged in toe-curling sycophantic banter. She said that he is one of the nastiest people that she has ever had the displeasure to meet.

Well this morning Mart had some very nice things to say about Hayley Westenra when the man from the Danish version of Lyric was in. :) He's a composer and a musician himself as well as a classical DJ. He went round the desk to do the intro to the track for Mart. He fronts a show like the Marty Whelan show on Lyric in the mornings over in Denmark in Copenhagen and was in for some training with Mart which was nice I think.
    I think he had Jonathan Lemalu on a few weeks ago on the playlist. And of course everyone on the programme here just loves Kiri. :)

Must have been tough for Marty being replaced by a show called "Colm and Jim-Jim's Breakfast show". Perhaps the imaginary friends is a reaction to that? :) Wasn't the show meant to be coming from Venice or Verona this week?

Just reading the Indo's coverage of Marty's other breakfast show being axed ( http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/alarmed-rte-radio-axes-martys-show-26280022.html ) and it appears that "The poor performance was having a knock-on effect on the Gerry Ryan show, so it was decided to bite the bullet.". It appears that the opposite is happening on LyricFM where listeners who switch off when Marty's show is on actually return when his show is over. Perhaps that trip to Venice and Verona might be a one way ticket?

Regards...jmcc

Here's an hour's music from DR P2 - the Danish State run cultural radio station.
    These are the composers played from 7 to 8 am this morning (from the DR website).....

[*]07:05 12 transkriptioner efter sange af Robert Schumann, Liebeslied med Franz Liszt
      [*]07:09 Violinkoncert nr 1 g-mol op 26, Adagio med Max Bruch
      [*]07:18 Ouverture D-dur, Menuet med Johann Friedrich Fasch
      [*]07:20 Klaverkoncert F-dur Hob:XVIII;3, Largo cantabile med Joseph Haydn
      [*]07:25 Cembalosuite nr 3 d-mol HWV 428, Presto med Georg Friedrich Händel
      [*]07:31 Arpeggione Sonate a-mol D 821, Allegretto med Franz Schubert
      [*]07:41 Den danske sang, Den danske sang med Carl Nielsen
      [*]07:43 Night Spectacular med Rune Tonsgaard Sørensen
      [*]07:49 Symfoni nr 2 B-dur op 52 Lobgesang, Scherzo med Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy
      [*]07:55 Klaversonate b-dur med Richard Wagner
      Not a sign of 'Goodness Gracious Me' or Burl ****en Ives. I didn't hear what that Danish presenter said today, but it sounds like he was being polite to his crazy host.

Expunge wrote: »
      Here's an hour's music from DR P2 - the Danish State run cultural radio station.
      These are the composers played from 7 to 8 am this morning (from the DR website).....

[*]07:05 12 transkriptioner efter sange af Robert Schumann, Liebeslied med Franz Liszt
        [*]07:49 Symfoni nr 2 B-dur op 52 Lobgesang, Scherzo med Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy
        Not a sign of 'Goodness Gracious Me' or Burl ****en Ives. I didn't hear what that Danish presenter said today, but it sounds like he was being polite to his crazy host.

Actually the Marty Show has the same kind of light classical in the first hour a lot too with the Sleeper's Wake and the Arrival of the Queen of Sheba and that.

And Mart and the Great Dane today were talking about that Carl Nielsen chap you have on your little list there as it happens - he to be a famous Danish composer from ages ago. They were saying that he was like Cole Porter not able to read music. Like Lionel Bart too. He would sing out the tunes and he would have orchestrators and people like that to check it out and lay it down. I think McCartney is the same actually. And maybe Lloyd-Webber.

By the 8 o'clock mark you may be sure that Danny Kay would have made an appearance with Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen as Mart sang this morning, or maybe the Mouse in the Windmill in Old Amsterdam.

I was in Denmark once with Tesco points and went to Copenhagen myself. They get up very early in the morning there - earlier than here - so that might explain some of the list you have.

"Actually the Marty Show has the same kind of light classical in the first hour a lot too with the Sleeper's Wake and the Arrival of the Queen of Sheba and that.

And Mart and the Great Dane today were talking about that Carl Nielsen chap you have on your little list there as it happens - he to be a famous Danish composer from ages ago."

I'd say he had to google Carl Nielsen to distinguish him from Leslie Nielsen!

Same kind of light classical my backside! This morning he also played Tony Kenny, John Martyn again, Bruce Springsteen and Mario Lanza.

****ing shower of nutters running cultural broadcasting in Ireland!
        Cheered on here by Hugo.
        Only in Ireland where crap like this thrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

Thanks for that. For those of us who cannot listen to Lyric anymore since the dumbing down of the station, here's some of the mish-mash of movie music, opera tracks and pop songs they played today. Does the presenter still hum the tunes and thank the performers for "nearly getting the hang of that"?

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/marty-in-the-morning//

Early One Morning
          Duration 0:02:31
          Composer: Grainger, Percy

For Eternity
          Duration 0:03:25
          Composer: Babic / Coelho

Guitar Concerto In D Major (3rd Movement) Allegro
          Duration 0:02:31
          Composer: Vivaldi, Antonio

Hushabye Mountain
          Duration 0:02:39
          Composer: Sherman, Richard M. / Sherman, Robert B.

Horn Concerto No.4 (3rd Movement) Rondo
          Duration 0:03:54
          Composer: Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus

At The Woodchoppers Bal
          lDuration 0:03:31
          Composer: Bishop/Herman

Sweet Little Mystery
          Duration 0:05:39
          Composer: Martyn, John

Mrs Robinson
          Duration 0:04:06
          Composer: Simon, Paul

O Sole Mio
          Duration 0:03:40
          Composer: Di Capua, Eduardo

La Strada
          Duration 0:03:46
          Composer: Rota, Nina

"Actually the Marty Show has the same kind of light classical in the first hour a lot too with the Sleeper's Wake and the Arrival of the Queen of Sheba and that.

And Mart and the Great Dane today were talking about that Carl Nielsen chap you have on your little list there as it happens - he to be a famous Danish composer from ages ago."

I'd say he had to google Carl Nielson to distinguish him from Leslie Nielsen!

Same kind of light classical my backside! This morning he also played Tony Kenny, John Martyn again, Bruce Springsteen and Mario Lanza.

****ing shower of nutters running cultural broadcasting in Ireland!
          Cheered on here by Hugo.
          Only in Ireland where crap like this thrives.

Well, horses for courses I always say. And you don't hear Tony Kenny much on RTE these days. He created the role of Joseph in The Amazing Technicolor Dreancoat in the Gaiety back in the day. We owe it to our own to give them airplay.

Mario Lanza is still huge. He created The Student Prince in the long ago and he died far too young.

And you do know the Boss is in town? I suppose.

And you do know the Boss is in town? I suppose.
          Maybe he can fire Marty and let LyricFM get back to playing Classical music instead of Middle of The Road kitsch. So did RTE waste any money sending Marty to Venice or Verona?

Regards...jmcc

Maybe he can fire Marty and let LyricFM get back to playing Classical music instead of Middle of The Road kitsch. So did RTE waste any money sending Marty to Venice or Verona?

Regards...jmcc

Well, as Marty is always telling his students, the art of making good radio is Linking. So, The Boss is Bruce Springsteen and not the Head of RTE who has his hands full with other things. That explains the track from The Boss.
          And Mrs Robinson was on because today's Dustin Hoffman's birthday and him to be 76! He doesn't look it. Even though he's not the best. Mart and Rebecca had great crack chitchating about The Graduate with the super Ann Bancroft. And later some talk about Dustin's guns in Tootsie. We thought there was Vivaldi in Tootsie but it was in Kramer. Linking again, you see as Mart always sys.

• Advertisement

That's Dustin's guns. I hate doing this on the smartphone.

Well, as Marty is always telling his students, the art of making good radio is Linking.
          So how many of his shows have been axed now? Perhaps in music radio, it is about the music rather than some dead air filler?

Regards...jmcc

Still wrong: Rebecca said Dustin's guna. This autocorrect doesn't like Gaeilge.

Still wrong: Rebecca said Dustin's guna. This autocorrect doesn't like Gaeilge.
          Yes Marty, perhaps Hugo believes you.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

limnam wrote: »

Ugh, bloody philistines everywhere.

Actually limnam, no they don't... signs up, rules forbidding it, security, blah blah blah.

pwurple wrote: »
          Ugh, bloody philistines everywhere.

Actually limnam, no they don't... signs up, rules forbidding it, security, blah blah blah.
          But didn't the security guard know that Marty was special? Don't they have LyricFM in Paris? He's RTE's national treasure - buried along with all of RTE's other antiques on LyricFM. Didn't Marty tell them that he was going to be interviewing Leonard Devincy on his show and that he wanted a selfie of himself in front of the painting to show his listeners? :)

Regards...jmcc

.....And Mrs Robinson was on because today's Dustin Hoffman's birthday and him to be 76! ......

Oh, brilliant!! "and him to be" ........a dead give-away. :pac::D

Hi Marty! and you to be Hugo, and him to be Y23R.........:) lmao

But didn't the security guard know that Marty was special? Don't they have LyricFM in Paris? He's RTE's national treasure - buried along with all of RTE's other antiques on LyricFM. Didn't Marty tell them that he was going to be interviewing Leonard Devincy on his show and that he wanted a selfie of himself in front of the painting to show his listeners? :)

Regards...jmcc

It's very easy to sneer. If you had heard that part of the TX you'd know that Mart was telling the story against himself! "With the big red embarrassed head on Me while your one was going on and on and on at Me. In French!." (It was a lady security woman.)

It's very easy to sneer. If you had heard that part of the TX you'd know that Mart was telling the story against himself! "With the big red embarrassed head on Me while your one was going on and on and on at Me. In French!." (It was a lady security woman.)
          So when is the Leonard Devincy interview? ;) I suppose the rules for RTE personalities are different those that apply to ordinary mortals.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

I imagine you were most embarrassed Marty....and you to be:pac: wearing that big red head...and a Frenchwoman talking to you, and she to be:pac: talking in the old French lingo in I Love Paris of all places with the tourists looking at you, and they to be:pac: thinking "what a [EMAIL="pr@t"]pr@t[/EMAIL]"...

So Mart. Did you feel like responding with one of your Woganesque witticisms that you must have picked up on your Eurovision junkets?

This discussion has been closed.
        Advertisement