Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

howdy

anyone planning a veggie bbq? I might have one this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I had a few friends over for a bbq on Friday and made myself some linda mccartney burgers, they had cheese in them? They were lovely!

kellief wrote: »
    I had a few friends over for a bbq on Friday and made myself some linda mccartney burgers, they had cheese in them? They were lovely!

ooh, the mozzarella quarter pounders? they're awesome.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    ooh, the mozzarella quarter pounders? they're awesome.

Yeah they were lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah those are all kinds of awesome.

Yeah those are all kinds of awesome.

I don't cook anything on our bbq (don't trust it for veggie stuff, even though I clean it), but would imagine they would be lovely cooked on a bbq

There are new Quorn quarter pounders too, they're nice, taste real smokey like they were made specifically for the BBQ. They're basically the Linda McCartney ones without the cheese.

There are new Quorn quarter pounders too, they're nice, taste real smokey like they were made specifically for the BBQ. They're basically the Linda McCartney ones without the cheese.

Must have a look for them!

I just had 2 pieces of banoffee, so good

• Advertisement

That is my favourite thing in the world!

yeah usually i dont really do cake but if a banoffee or cheesecake shows up i turn into pacman and eat so much.

yeah usually i dont really do cake but if a banoffee or cheesecake shows up i turn into pacman and eat so much.

I love cake too much

So Lurve is re-opening in temple bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

seen that, hope it works out for them this time

https://www.facebook.com/LurveFabulousVeganFood

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

ye seen that, don't think I'll be visiting after all the previous shenanigans though.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    ye seen that, don't think I'll be visiting after all the previous shenanigans though.

Shenanigans??? Tell more!

Has anyone got any tips on veggie meatballs?
    I tired making them using veggie mince but they never seem to hold shape.

A lot of bicep curls and vegan protein today FTW>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

kellief wrote: »
    Shenanigans??? Tell more!

The owner is apparently a bit of a con artist, I guess I can't say much but it's no secret that the staff at the previous location all walked out together, probably for good reason. I don't care for supporting a business that serves ethical food but is so unethical in other ways.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    The owner is apparently a bit of a con artist, I guess I can't say much but it's no secret that the staff at the previous location all walked out together, probably for good reason. I don't care for supporting a business that serves ethical food but is so unethical in other ways.

Sounds very shifty alright! How the staff react in a shop/restaurant/bar etc is the best sign of how the place is run. If you constantly see "now hiring" signs in the window, it's probably not a good place to work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 19 liz1991

Fabulous! I was in China a few years ago and they thought I was a big weirdo.

I think I may need to take fish oils.... but I don't know how I feel about it.

Problems of Conversion short chain omega 3 LNA to long chain - DHA and EPA Omega 3 essential fatty acid ->
    Genetic Problems. Some people may have less of the conversion enzymes needed to convert omega 3 fatty acid EFAs to DHA and EPA. These people include those with atopic allergies (asthma, eczema and hay fever which run in the family) and those with diabetes

Meaning flax might not be good enough for me as I'd fall into that category.
    I'm struggling to accept that animal products are needed for optimal health.

I think I may need to take fish oils.... but I don't know how I feel about it.

Problems of Conversion short chain omega 3 LNA to long chain - DHA and EPA Omega 3 essential fatty acid ->

Meaning flax might not be good enough for me as I'd fall into that category.
    I'm struggling to accept that animal products are needed for optimal health.

Flax is good for nobody imo, doesn't give enough. This is what you want:
    http://www.opti3omega.com/
    Vegan, already in DHA/EPA form, 3 for 2 offer and has D3.

Flax isn't useless, it's just unless your body is awesome at converting ALA's you're never going to have enough DHA's and EPA's, Flax also has some other qualities...
    While flax oil may not be an efficient means to obtain EPA and DHA, there are still benefits to taking flaxseed.

Flaxseed comes in three forms: whole flax, ground flax, and flax oil. I prefer clients eat whole flax or ground flax, as both are excellent sources of fiber. This helps keep the pipes clean and aids in blood glucose control, which can lead to lower body fat levels.

Whole flaxseed also contains lignans, which have been shown to affect estrogen levels

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most.../flax_oil_vs_fish_oil

As for the algae, I read something before saying sourcing it from algae is debatable, Studies haven't proven it's effectiveness or absorption. I have to research more.

I'll try give algae a try, I'd never be comfortable using fish products. I've noticed there is also vegan glucosamine.

Ah i don't men flaxseed is useless in general, just that ALA is a waste of time. You'd have to be eating tonnes of it every day, it has a terrible conversion rate, it just wouldn't be feasible. The latest batch of opti3 is : EPA: 267mg DHA: 438mg which is pretty good. Fish get their EPA/DHA from algae in the first place, I doubt there would be absorption issues, you're just cutting out the middle man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 liz1991

Ah i don't men flaxseed is useless in general, just that ALA is a waste of time. You'd have to be eating tonnes of it every day, it has a terrible conversion rate, it just wouldn't be feasible. The latest batch of opti3 is : EPA: 267mg DHA: 438mg which is pretty good. Fish get their EPA/DHA from algae in the first place, I doubt there would be absorption issues, you're just cutting out the middle man.

I like this 'cutting out the middle man' thing. My parents were recently debating whether they should eat beef from grain-fed cows or from grass-fed cows, I was like 'JUST EAT THE DAMN GRAIN OR GRASS!'. They did not understand...

Advertisement