Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People from Northern Ireland are not British!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

dlofnep wrote: »
    So do you denounce that you are Irish? People from England have no problem in calling themselves English. Scotland, Scottish. Wales, Welsh. So why can you not call yourself Irish? I mean, if the hardlined Mr. Ulster says No can call himself Irish - then surely there is hope for OwenC.

When's the last time you heard a Canadian call themselves American?

Sure there from the America's but its clear that the term American has become inextricably linked with the country USA.

Likewise, its would be hard for a NI Unionist to say their Irish if it will so easily be confused with the country Ireland rather than the landmass. Calling themselves British makes a lot more sense for them, and me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

enda1 wrote: »
    When's the last time you heard a Canadian call themselves American?

Sure there from the America's but its clear that the term American has become inextricably linked with the country USA.

Likewise, its would be hard for a NI Unionist to say their Irish if it will so easily be confused with the country Ireland rather than the landmass. Calling themselves British makes a lot more sense for them, and me.

Your comparing a continent to an island?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Jaap

So do you denounce that you are Irish? People from England have no problem in calling themselves English. Scotland, Scottish. Wales, Welsh. So why can you not call yourself Irish? I mean, if the hardlined Mr. Ulster says No can call himself Irish - then surely there is hope for OwenC.

If you are from Northern Ireland...going by the England = English, Scotland = Scottish method mentioned above...then people from the north are called Northern Irish I assume...simple enough!!!
    Nationality-wise for passports Northern Irish people can choose to be British or Irish!!! All about the right to choose...not people telling you what you are!!!

karma_ wrote: »
    Your comparing a continent to an island?

Yes. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Eh, I don't actually give a fiddlers about the use of the British Isles comment. I was referring to the "we're all christians". I'm not a Christian.

Also, I don't remember Africans being called a "Indian Ocean people".
    I am sure Nigerians and onther residents of West African countries might be puzzled by this comment ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

anymore wrote: »
    I am sure Nigerians and onther residents of West African countries might be puzzled by this comment ?

Somehow, I doubt that they are.

Yes. ?

I'm sure enda you really don't need me to tell you that's a poor analogy. A better one would be Puerto Rico, who whilst affiliated with the US they remain a commonwealth of their own and are identified as Puerto Rican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Jaap wrote: »
    Northern Irish people can choose to be British or Irish!!! All about the right to choose...not people telling you what you are!!!

Eleven pages into this thread and I think we broadly agree that people cannot be told what Nationality they are, which is why Pat Kenny's Statement (Link in Post#1) caught my attention "People from Northern Ireland are Irish, and No Irish person in Northern Ireland is British" :confused:

He also speaks of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland ?? :cool::confused: shouldn't that be Great Britain & Northern Ireland . . .

I'm sure enda you really don't need me to tell you that's a poor analogy. A better one would be Puerto Rico, who whilst affiliated with the US they remain a commonwealth of their own and are identified as Puerto Rican.

No not really.

My analogy perfectly describes the problem faced with the landmass/citizenship dilemma.

Your's doesn't.

Camelot wrote: »
    Eleven pages into this thread and I think we broadly agree that people cannot be told what Nationality they are, which is why Pat Kenny's Statement (Link in Post#1) caught my attention "People from Northern Ireland are Irish, and No Irish person in Northern Ireland is British" :confused:

He also speaks of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland ?? :cool::confused: shouldn't that be Great Britain & Northern Ireland . . .

Pedantry.

No one is arguing that the people of NI are not British citizens, they do however remain Irish/Northern Irish whether you like that fact or not.

• Advertisement

No not really.

My analogy perfectly describes the problem faced with the landmass/citizenship dilemma.

Your's doesn't.

Landmass?

What about Europe?

Pedantry. No one is arguing that the people of NI are not British citizens, they do however remain Irish/Northern Irish whether you like that fact or not.

Pedantry? :) Well maybe it is pedantry to you, but surely this State left the UK many decades ago, leaving the North still part of the UK, where people can choose whether they are British or Irish. > I don't think its pedantry.

Landmass?

What about Europe?

Ireland is a landmass like America is.

What about Europe?

Ireland is a landmass like America is.

What about Europe?

You have to be kidding.

Germany, France, Spain?

Hell what about Asia? Africa even.

Landmass/citizenship issues galore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

pat kennys statement was indeed peculiar , it originated aroud the topic of rory mcllroy ( a golfer from the unionist community in northern ireland ) and has almost evolved into a diplomatic incident at this stage , personally , im of the opinion that thier are both irish and british people living in the province of ulster which is on the island of ireland , im also of the opinion that you cant be both irish and british , while the big man from ballymena may have once claimed he was an irish man , he is not

You have to be kidding.

Germany, France, Spain?

Hell what about Asia? Africa even.

Landmass/citizenship issues galore.

What?

I don't know what you're talking about to be honest.
    Ireland (landmass) and Ireland (county) have the same name. This is what I'm talking about.

Maybe South African could be another example.

"Hi I'm South African."

"Where in South Africa are you from?"

"Lesotho"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

irishh_bob wrote: »
    while the big man from ballymena may have once claimed he was an irish man , he is not

Liam Neeson is an Irishman :P :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It is racist to state that anyone who has lived in Ireland from birth to adulthood is not Irish, whatever their ethic origins or political views. There is a sickening casual racism in threads like this which would not be tolerated in other threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Gaelic32

How many countries were ruled by Britain?

Do you think the natives of all these places would consider themselves British?!!!

Colonial name
    Modern name
    Year of independence
    Aden
    Yemen
    Ascension Island

Not yet
    Anguilla

Not yet
    Australia

Bahamas

Bahrain

Barbados

Basutoland
    Lesotho
    Bechuanaland
    Botswana
    Bermuda

Not yet
    British Cameroon
    Cameroon (part)
    British Guyana
    Guyana
    British Honduras
    Belize
    British Somaliland
    Somaliland
    British Solomon Islands
    Solomon Is.
    Brunei
    Brunei
    Burma
    Myanmar
    Canada

Cayman Islands

Not yet
    Ceylon
    Sri Lanka
    Cook Islands

NZ assoc.
    Cyprus

Egypt

1922?
    Falkland Islands and dependencies

Not yet
    Fiji

Gambia

Gibraltar

Not yet
    Gilbert and Ellice Islands
    Kiribati & Tuvalu
    Gold Coast
    Ghana
    Grenada

Guernsey
    Channel Is.

Hong Kong
    China
    India
    Pakistan & Bangladesh)
    Iraq

Ireland

1922 (Partial)
    Jamaica

Jersey
    Channel Is.

Kenya

Kuwait

Malaya
    West Malaysia

Maldive Islands

Malta

Mauritius

Montserrat

Not yet

Newfoundland
    Canada

New Hebrides (with France)
    Vanuatu

New Zealand

Nigeria

North Borneo
    Sabah

Nyasaland
    Malawi

Oman

Never formally a protectorate

Papua New Guinea

Palestine
    Israel

Pitcairn Island

Not yet

Qatar

Rhodesia
    Zimbabwe & Zambia

Sarawak
    East Malaysia

St Helena

Not yet

St Kitts
    St Kitts/Nevis

St Lucia

St Vincent

Seychelles

Sierra Leone

Singapore

South Africa

Sudan

Swaziland

Tanganyika
    Tanzania

Tonga

Transjordan
    Jordan

Trinidad
    Trinidad & Tobago

Tristan Da Cunha

Not yet

Trucial Oman
    United Arab Emirates

Turks and Caicos Islands

Not yet

Uganda

Western Samoa

Zanzibar
    Tanzania

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

ardmacha wrote: »
    It is racist to state that anyone who has lived in Ireland from birth to adulthood is not Irish, whatever their ethic origins or political views. There is a sickening casual racism in threads like this which would not be tolerated in other threads.

Quite right, it is extremly bigoted to dictate to somebody what thier identy is. How dare people tell somebody who was born in northern Ireland and lived there till adulthood that they are Irish .

• Advertisement

oops, sorry - supposed to come out in table format - now have biggest post on this thread :pac:

Gaelic32 wrote: »
    oops, sorry - supposed to come out in table format - now have biggest post on this thread :pac:

Great list you have there, but does it alter the Nationality of UK citizens?

junder wrote: »
    Quite right, it is extremly bigoted to dictate to somebody what thier identy is. How dare people tell somebody who was born in northern Ireland and lived there till adulthood that they are Irish .

Isn't that what Britain was doing all this time prior to the Good Friday Agreement? Dictating to one section of the population that they were British.

Great list you have there, but does it alter the Nationality of UK citizens?

Glad you liked it Camelot! - It was merely to illustrate that we are not the only ones on the globe who has endured british colonisation. This whole argument regarding nationality in the six counties is a result of said colonisation and occupation here - as already stated, pre 1922, the british refered to the uk as great britain and Ireland, that didnt mean that all the people here regarded themselves as british - they were irish but ruled by britain - similarily post 1922 the british just changed their title but it doesnt mean that people in the six counties are british - they are irish ruled by britain also. If you wish to be affiliated with britishness thats your call, no one is trying to take that away from you.

How dare people tell somebody who was born in northern Ireland and lived there till adulthood that they are Irish .

It is a simple fact that they are Irish, they may choose to identify with somewhere else. A person may be from Antrim but identify with Down. However it is clearly racist for people to claim no association with the place they were born and live in because they believe themselves superior to the natives.

This whole argument regarding nationality in the six counties is a result of said colonisation and occupation here - as already stated, pre 1922, the british refered to the uk as great britain and Ireland, that didnt mean that all the people here regarded themselves as british - they were irish but ruled by britain - similarily post 1922 the british just changed their title but it doesnt mean that people in the six counties are british - they are irish ruled by britain also. If you wish to be affiliated with britishness thats your call, no one is trying to take that away from you.

Well, some might call it colonisation, but I fundamentally disagree with that term in relation this little group of islands, eg; (can the term be used in relation to the island next door? was Ireland colonised by the Vikings? was Britain colonised by the Italians?) Does 'colonisation' come into the equation when talking about the isle of Man? :cool: Anyway, the 'jist' of this thread is around what Pat Kenny said. Curiously you didn't pick up on Mr Kenny's reference to the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland' (Maybe he forgot about 1922)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Glad you liked it Camelot! - It was merely to illustrate that we are not the only ones on the globe who has endured british colonisation. This whole argument regarding nationality in the six counties is a result of said colonisation and occupation here - as already stated, pre 1922, the british refered to the uk as great britain and Ireland, that didnt mean that all the people here regarded themselves as british - they were irish but ruled by britain - similarily post 1922 the british just changed their title but it doesnt mean that people in the six counties are british - they are irish ruled by britain also. If you wish to be affiliated with britishness thats your call, no one is trying to take that away from you.
    does it upset you, that most of those colonies you are referring to hate the british so much that they want to still be a part of a commonwealth with the queen at the head ?i would think that on your part,its a own goal,and by the way it was the decision of the northern irish elected members of parliament who opted out of a independent ireland [that was their democratic right] not the british parliament,and it will also be the people in northern ireland who will decide when or if they will join the republic,not britain or ireland

I think you'll find nothing factually wrong with my last post Camelot, its well documented in librarys around the globe.
    With relation to Pat, well.... cant wait to hear what he has to say next. (wonder does he look at these posts?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

getz wrote: »
    does it upset you, that most of those colonies you are referring to hate the british so much that they want to still be a part of a commonwealth with the queen at the head ?i would think that on your part,its a own goal,and by the way it was the decision of the northern irish elected members of parliament who opted out of a independent ireland [that was their democratic right] not the british parliament,and it will also be the people in northern ireland who will decide when or if they will join the republic,not britain or ireland

There was nothing democratic about the creation of Northern Ireland. Ireland was always ONE country. The majority of the people in that ONE country wanted independence. However, the unionist community largely based in the North East, controlled basically all the industry, decided that they would not "give up" their special status and hence with the help of the British, turned what had always been ONE country into TWO.

Even if each of the six counties got to vote individually on which country they wanted to be part of at the time of partition, Northern Ireland would only have consisted of 4 counties.

• Advertisement

Well, some might call it colonisation, but I fundamentally disagree with that term in relation this little group of islands,

How convenient.

Ireland was colonised by Britain. Disagreeing with it will not make it any less true. If you wish to live in delusion, by all means - go for it. Those plantations were not acts of colonisation, oh no - not according to our fine revisionist Camelot.

who opted out of a independent ireland [that was their democratic right] not the british parliament,and it will also be the people in northern ireland who will decide when or if they will join the republic,not britain or ireland

Actually, it wasn't their democratic right. It was an option afforded to them, through conditions made under duress - against the will of the population of Ireland. That sir, is not democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Well, some might call it colonisation, but I fundamentally disagree with that term in relation this little group of islands, eg; (can the term be used in relation to the island next door? was Ireland colonised by the Vikings?)?

Eh yes. The Vikings established colonies in Ireland e.g limerick in 922AD to name but one.
    was Britain colonised by the Italians?) Does 'colonisation' come into the equation when talking about the isle of Man? ?)?

Yes the Romans did colonise Britain.
    :cool: Anyway, the 'jist' of this thread is around what Pat Kenny said. Curiously you didn't pick up on Mr Kenny's reference to the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland' (Maybe he forgot about 1922)?

Or perhaps it was a slip of the tongue?? Wouldn't read too much into that.

Actually, it wasn't their democratic right. It was an option afforded to them, through conditions made under duress - against the will of the population of Ireland. That sir, is not democracy.
    being very polite,northern ireland exercised its right under the anglo/irish treaty signed by both parties one year before independance ,to opt out if they wanted,both parties expected they would,that sir is also democracy,it still goes on in this day and age as countries get independance and then split up anyway its all on wiki.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

The unioinists don't seem to know what nationality they are :). Sometimes they say they from Britain, other times Northern Ireland and others Ulster. Well, British is synonymous with English, so their not that anyway. Northern Ireland is not correct either as geographically the most northern county of Ireland is Donegal and that is not in the six county statelet. And since Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan are also not in the six county statelet, they should not refer to the statelet as Ulster.

it wasent against the will of the people of ireland,the treaty was ratified by the dail and the people in the new ireland voted for the treaty 98 seats,against the treaty 36 seats,

• Advertisement

being very polite,northern ireland exercised its right under the anglo/irish treaty signed by both parties one year before independance ,to opt out if they wanted,both parties expected they would,that sir is also democracy,it still goes on in this day and age as countries get independance and then split up anyway its all on wiki.org

Northern Ireland did not exist as an entity. The partition of Ireland was against the will of the people as a whole. The 1918 elections proved, without a shadow of a doubt - that the mandate for a break from British rule was real and valid. 28 out of 32 counties had majority nationalist votes, and even within the 4 north-eastern counties - nationalists still held more constituencies.

You speak of the Treaty as if it was made on just, or fair grounds. Let me be very clear on this. It was not. Only a handful of years after the Irish population demonstrated a very clear mandate across the Island for an independant state, Britain threatened the Irish delegates with terrible and immediate war if they did not accept the terms of the treaty. That sir is NOT democracy.

it wasent against the will of the people of ireland,the treaty was ratified by the dail and the people in the new ireland voted for the treaty 98 seats,against the treaty 36 seats,

Um, the treaty passed by 64 to 57 votes. If you are going to re-write history, at least get your figures straight. It was against the will of the people of Ireland. A parliamentary vote under duress is not an accurate reflection of the will of the people. They demonstrated their will in the 1918 elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Northern Ireland did not exist as an entity. The partition of Ireland was against the will of the people as a whole.
    The partition of Ireland was against the will of the people as a whole.
    Ah yes, this again. You essentially assert that the people of the island of Ireland (a geographical entity!) were the proper constituency to decide on its political fate. Not the people of Britain and Ireland (despite that being essentially a single political entity at the time). Now there was an overwhelming grouping in Ireland, fairly homogenous in the South, who wanted self governance and it was quite proper that they should have been accommodated, regardless of what the rest of the “kingdom” thought, or how their numbers stacked up. However if you are to suggest that the same reasoning be applied recursively on the island of Ireland you will typically be told you have a very British view of democracy, or you are playing the Orange card or some such.
    If you deny that the Unionists should have been accommodated on the basis that they were outnumbered by nationalists on the island of Ireland then surely the same reasoning could apply to say that the Irish nationalists yearning for self rule should not have been accommodated on the basis that a majority on the islands of Britain and Ireland did not favour change?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

ardmacha wrote: »
    It is a simple fact that they are Irish, they may choose to identify with somewhere else. A person may be from Antrim but identify with Down. However it is clearly racist for people to claim no association with the place they were born and live in because they believe themselves superior to the natives.

JAYSUS i will choose to be irish if i want to be or british, but i am not irish, at the most part i would be northern irish not irish!! :mad::mad: We don't live in ireland we live in the UNITED KINGDOM

junder wrote: »

Agree with you, they are really taking the piss now and i am not happy. Hows about i tell them they are british!

• Advertisement

yea it was they could vote if they wanted a united kingdom and if they didn't want one then don't vote- its called the ulster covenant.

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    The unioinists don't seem to know what nationality they are :). Sometimes they say they from Britain, other times Northern Ireland and others Ulster. Well, British is synonymous with English, so their not that anyway. Northern Ireland is not correct either as geographically the most northern county of Ireland is Donegal and that is not in the six county statelet. And since Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan are also not in the six county statelet, they should not refer to the statelet as Ulster.

when we say ulster we mean northern ireland not somewhere over the border i didn't even know what monaghan was until i came on here.

lugha wrote: »
    Ah yes, this again. You essentially assert that the people of the island of Ireland (a geographical entity!) were the proper constituency to decide on its political fate.

There was nothing proper about British rule. To discuss politics in Ireland using such a word would be pointless. Ireland existed as an entity and had done so for a considerable time.

There was a mandate to break from British rule - and it was not respected. And if you are putting it that somehow, a separate entity existed in the north-east of Ireland, it didn't. Out of 105 seats, across the Island of Ireland - nationalists held 79 of them. In Ulster alone - 5 of 9 counties had a nationalist majority.
    Not the people of Britain and Ireland (despite that being essentially a single political entity at the time).

Britain never had a valid claim to control Irish affairs. Why would they have suddenly have a valid claim to control a specific portion of Ireland upon a clear mandate for independence?
    If you deny that the Unionists should have been accommodated on the basis that they were outnumbered by nationalists on the island of Ireland then surely the same reasoning could apply to say that the Irish nationalists yearning for self rule should not have been accommodated on the basis that a majority on the islands of Britain and Ireland did not favour change?

So perhaps you'll explain to me, why the north consists of 6 counties - when in the 1918 elections, 5 of the 9 counties of ulster (not 3) had a nationalist majority. The unionists weren't only accommodated, they were cradled. Their demands were backed up with a threat of a full-scale invasion by Britain.

The Unionists could very well have been accommodated if they had of stayed within the political framework of a 32 county Ireland. Instead, they forced the partition of the country - which lead to not only a civil war, but decades of conflict that followed.

Whatever way you wish to spin in - the reality of the matter is that the partition of Ireland was not just, nor valid. One cannot preach about democracy, when they hold a pen in one hand and the threat of immediate large scale war in the other.

owenc wrote: »
    JAYSUS i will choose to be irish

It's about time you accepted it. Good man!

It's about time you accepted it. Good man!

im not irish and dont you dare tell me that. I'm fine with northern irish thank you!

There was nothing proper about British rule. To discuss politics in Ireland using such a word would be pointless. Ireland existed as an entity and had done so for a considerable time.

There was a mandate to break from British rule - and it was not respected. And if you are putting it that somehow, a separate entity existed in the north-east of Ireland, it didn't. Out of 105 seats, across the Island of Ireland - nationalists held 79 of them. In Ulster alone - 5 of 9 counties had a nationalist majority.

Britain never had a valid claim to control Irish affairs. Why would they have suddenly have a valid claim to control a specific portion of Ireland upon a clear mandate for independence?

So perhaps you'll explain to me, why the north consists of 6 counties - when in the 1918 elections, 5 of the 9 counties of ulster (not 3) had a nationalist majority. The unionists weren't only accommodated, they were cradled. Their demands were backed up with a threat of a full-scale invasion by Britain.

The Unionists could very well have been accommodated if they had of stayed within the political framework of a 32 county Ireland. Instead, they forced the partition of the country - which lead to not only a civil war, but decades of conflict that followed.

Whatever way you wish to spin in - the reality of the matter is that the partition of Ireland was not just, nor valid. One cannot preach about democracy, when they hold a pen in one hand and the threat of immediate large scale war in the other.

Because carson decided so. Plus the nationalists never set up a petition to for homerule so they had no evidence.

owenc wrote: »
    Because carson decided so. Plus the nationalists never set up a petition to for homerule so they had no evidence.

Great contribution to the thread Owen. Truly groundbreaking stuff.

Great contribution to the thread Owen. Truly groundbreaking stuff.

thanks you made my day;):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Ireland existed as an entity and had done so for a considerable time.
    It didn’t exist as a political entity in any meaningful way. Much of the rest of your post is predicated on this.

Britain never had a valid claim to control Irish affairs.
    Yet nationalists have a valid claim to control the affairs of Irish unionists?
    So perhaps you'll explain to me, why the north consists of 6 counties - when in the 1918 elections, 5 of the 9 counties of ulster (not 3) had a nationalist majority.
    Your argument about the flaws in the creation of a Northern state are, to use your own words, a red herring. Nationalists insist that Ireland should not have been partitioned at all, not that it wasn’t portioned very fairly.

I don’t believe the decades of conflict would necessarily have been avoided. There was going to be problems no matter what was done 90 years ago.

Britain never had a valid claim to control Irish affairs.
    Yet nationalists have a valid claim to control the affairs of Irish unionists?

It says a lot about the conduct of threads such as this that the poster does not see a difference in these two things. For one country to invade another is clearly immoral and so not valid (in a moral sense). For inhabitants of a country to expect a democratic majority to prevail is simply the normal conduct of modern society at this point in history.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement