Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People from Northern Ireland are not British!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

karma_ wrote: »
    I think you better check your map again there bud.

U don't belive me measure it on google earth! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_people it states British people are from the united kingdom, ni is in the uk so therefore we are British!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

in reply to OP, I listened and pat kenny made a clear verbal gaffe, rushing to finish before the news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Jaysus, I know what it meant, It was a joke at Fred's expense, you know like the joke he ended his post with.

I got it!

I think the word great was used because the term "The dog's bollox" hadn't been invented then!!

Actually, to keep the unionists happy, maybe a united Ireland could be called Lessor Britain, or Minor Britain to reflect the correct geographical term!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Not that it matters, we are all British as we are all from the British Isles

How very, well, British nationalist of you. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Gaelic32

owenc wrote: »
    U don't belive me measure it on google earth! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_people it states British people are from the united kingdom, ni is in the uk so therefore we are British!

Sorry to burst your wee bubble ther owenc but Coleraine is as irish as Cork, it derives its name from the Irish: Cúil Raithin meaning "ferny corner"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Yes Owen, we may be British citizens but that has nothing really to do with our nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is absolutely right. In the Good Friday agreement the UK and Irish governments affirmed that they:

recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.

http://www.nio.gov.uk/agreement.pdf

He would be quite correct to say 'not all people from Northern Ireland are British'. But the OP quotes him as saying 'all people from Northern Ireland are not British' which is not quite the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Rebelheart wrote: »
    How very, well, British nationalist of you. Well done.

Sigh.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

SugarHigh wrote: »
    I have Irish parents who lived in England in the 80's where I was born and then they moved back to Ireland when I was only a year old.

I hold an Irish passport but you are saying I am not Irish.

Well going by what Pat kenny suggests, you are indeed British/English, but you certainly cannot be Irish, seeing as you were born in Britain :D

I got it!

I think the word great was used because the term "The dog's bollox" hadn't been invented then!!

Actually, to keep the unionists happy, maybe a united Ireland could be called Lessor Britain, or Minor Britain to reflect the correct geographical term!

I knew you would, I'm very disappointed in the other two though.

• Advertisement

Gaelic32 wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your wee bubble ther owenc but Coleraine is as irish as Cork, it derives its name from the Irish: Cúil Raithin meaning "ferny corner"

The people arnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Only some of you claim to be British or British Irish, if the Irish tag is too insulting. The other side of the divide want to be Irish and their wishes should be respected.

As part of the Irish Isles of course :D

Try, at least try, and answer what he was referring to. But then again anybody who says (albeit convolutely) that Down is nearer to Britain than it is to the Republic has just not thought much about how far it is from many fields in Down to many other fields in Louth.

lugha wrote: »
    He would be quite correct to say 'not all people from Northern Ireland are British'. But the OP quotes him as saying 'all people from Northern Ireland are not British' which is not quite the same thing.

Actually my passport says nationality and British below!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

lugha wrote: »

Pat's statement is pretty categoricle, if you were born in Ireland (North or South) you are Irish, end of . . . (according to him).

That's because you're a raging loyalist/unionist. Duh.

Owen, in simple terms you are a British citizen, no one is attempting to deny you that fact.

Your Nationality remains as Irish/Northern Irish.

Try, at least try, and answer what he was referring to. But then again anybody who says (albeit convolutely) that Down is nearer to Britain than it is to the Republic has just not thought much about how far it is from many fields in Down to many other fields in Louth.

I said I'm closer to scotland than down!

Camelot wrote: »
    Pat's statement is pretty categoricle, if you were born in Ireland (North or South) you are Irish, end of . . . (according to him).

That is correct.

That's because you're a raging loyalist/unionist. Duh.

I'm no loyalist!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Well going by what Pat kenny suggests, you are indeed British/English, but you certainly cannot be Irish, seeing as you were born in Britain :D
    Well my Irish passport has Irish under nationality.:D

As far as I know I'm allowed to get a British passport as well because my parents lived there for more than 10 years, I wonder would the British passport also have Irish under nationality?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I doubt if that is what he was saying, or he surely would have said "no one from Northern Ireland is British"

Well my Irish passport has Irish under nationality.:D

As far as I know I'm allowed to get a British passport as well because my parents lived there for more than 10 years, I wonder would the British passport also have Irish under nationality?

You would of course qualify for a British passport. I have both. Off teh top of my head I would think it does list your nationality as Irish, I would need to check to confirm though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

You would of course qualify for a British passport. I have both. Off teh top of my head I would think it does list your nationality as Irish, I would need to check to confirm though.
    Is there any reason to have both?

I've considered getting one to take advantage of the British equivalents of the j1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Since when did we give a fiddler's about what Pat Kenny thinks? Is Camelot really that stuck for material that he's now quoting Pat Kenny?

People from the north are Irish by geography, and Irish or British by nationality - depending on what they as an individual choose. Beyond that - who gives a shít?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm in same boat as SugarHigh. Irish parents lived in Britain for a while and I too have Irish passport, I was reared here for most of my life though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭sirromo

At the end of the day, we're all British-isles people and we're all white European christians. We should be focusing on the things that unite us, not the things that divide us.

sirromo wrote: »
    At the end of the day, we're all British-isles people and we're all white European christians. We should be focusing on the things that unite us, not the things that divide us.

:rolleyes:

Is there any reason to have both?

I've considered getting one to take advantage of the British equivalents of the j1.

Avoiding visa issues when travelling to & from the US is why I had 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

sirromo wrote: »

Eh, no we're not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement