Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway motorists really grinding my gears

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Sniipe wrote: »
    Bike won't carry 2 young kids and wife (especially on a wet day). I have no idea who Joe/Keith are... radio?

Although a bike could probably be used by a huge chunk of those in that traffic.

You think not? Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fws1XkcTHys

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

It's official name is the Quincentenary Bridge, but the opening of the bridge would have been a Quincentennial Event.

I once heard someone on AA Roadwatch call it the "Quintessential" Bridge! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Eeden wrote: »
    I once heard someone on AA Roadwatch call it the "Quintessential" Bridge! :D

I remember that morning.
    Jimmy Norman & Ollie Turner were arguing on GBFM over whether it was the Quincentennial or Quincentenary bridge and were overdoing it. We changed the channel only to hear Avril Hoare from AA Roadwatch announcing a traffic buildup on the Quintessential Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

galljga1 wrote: »
    You think not? Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fws1XkcTHys

The insurance industry will love to see you coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

I always plan for people in Galway not knowing how to use roundabouts but the best is when they use the wrong lane and beep you out of it for watching a road safety ad in the last 20 years.

beat me to it...something about that kirwin roundabout where think its ok to stay on the outside lane when taking the 3rd, 4th, 5th exit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Meh ... I just call it the Quin bridges. Covers all options, and everyone who knows roads by their names knows there I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

It's called The New Bridge! The new bridge, the new bridge, the new bridge!

That's it and that's all!

The new bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

dilallio wrote: »
    I remember that morning.
    Jimmy Norman & Ollie Turner were arguing on GBFM over whether it was the Quincentennial or Quincentenary bridge and were overdoing it. We changed the channel only to hear Avril Hoare from AA Roadwatch announcing a traffic buildup on the Quintessential Bridge.

I'm leaving this here:
    http://wikimapia.org/1495976/Quincentennial-Bridge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How do you feel now OP, three months later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

snubbleste wrote: »
    How do you feel now OP, three months later?
    I'm not angry or bitter any more - but it does still play on my mind. To be fair, traffic has calmed for my commute. I do however block cars on the right lane a tiny bit as I'm on the bridge entering the filter lane.
    As for the opposite direction I will now allow for cars to go from the left lane to the right double.

edit: Thanks for looking out for me. I wasn't going to go postal :)

• Advertisement

I was worried!
    RaceWeek will be a doddle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

porsche959 wrote: »
    People are afraid to merge in freeways in Los Angeles.

LA is a doddle, you're in traffic most of the time :) Now, the M50!! That's another story altogether! I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

They've removed the lane barrier again from outside Dock No. 1 and lane jumping is back in full swing along the docks (jumping in at the museum box junction). :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yup, I've noticed the lane jumpers on the Docks are starting up again. Sometimes they even drive all the way to Spanish Parade (Boojum) and then block the right lane as they try to merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

lucky bag license is all i can say :-(

biko wrote: »
    Sometimes they even drive all the way to Spanish Parade (Boojum) and then block the right lane as they try to merge.

Seems to be the driving policy for the Bus Eireann drivers, 401 jumps the lane every time the traffic is slow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

J o e wrote: »
    Seems to be the driving policy for the Bus Eireann drivers, 401 jumps the lane every time the traffic is slow...

Buses shouldn't have to queue in traffic. I'd give them a special dispensation, in the same way that I'd give them priority pulling out from bus stops etc.

In that case make the right lane a right-turn + bus lane. I see your point but they also shouldn't be able to just create their own bus lanes when and where they like. At the moment they take a few cars along with them when jumping the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

nuac wrote: »
    First world problem,

not really, neither heavy traffic nor arseholes are solely a first world problem.

Not sure where to put this, but can anyone identify this location and the speed limit on that stretch?
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/627886410603827200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Looks like the very end of the motorway as you come towards the roundabout? Limit is 100km AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

My Brother and his family lives in Galway and when I visit, it amazes me that in a city with so many roundabouts (Not so many now) that the drivers in Galway have absolutely no idea how a roundybout is suppossed to work and as for indicators, it's like they don't want anyone knowingg their business.

My brothers response? Local knowledge supercedes traffic laws. But he only says this ti wind me up

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

snubbleste wrote: »
    Not sure where to put this, but can anyone identify this location and the speed limit on that stretch?
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/627886410603827200

The LTI 20/20. Thanking the AGS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I really don't know why us Galwegians seem to struggle with roundabouts. Almost no-one seems to know how to use the Browne Roundabout (back of the hospital). Every time I use it going west you've people in the right lane coming from the Quincentennial Bridge (what I've always called it) to go straight on to Seamus Quirke Rd, and the same thing even more so in the opposite direction.

People also seem not to think that the exit into the hospital there doesn't count as a "real one" as they'll happily indicate left before they get to it then drive on past onto Seamus Quirke Rd.
    The same thing happens at the roundabout further on, the Western Distributor one. It's somewhat understandable that people move into the left lane after the bus to go straight on to Threadneedle Road (as they should) but then keep their indicator on as they pass the entrance to Cuan Glas on the left.
    But then people waiting to enter the roundabout seem amazed when you're coming from the opposite direction, indicate left before you take the Cuan Glas exit, and then actually take that exit!

And of course there's always the thrill of the regular Mexican standoff against someone flying the wrong way round a corner in any car park with a one-way system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Every time I use it going west you've people in the right lane coming from the Quincentennial Bridge (what I've always called it) to go straight on to Seamus Quirke Rd

I would be of the belief that this is okay. You are then automatically in the right hand lane of the Seamus Quirke Road and not having to filter in, or go onto the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I would be of the belief that this is okay. You are then automatically in the right hand lane of the Seamus Quirke Road and not having to filter in, or go onto the bus lane.

I think strictly it's ok if traffic's busy in the left lane (as it often is), and it is a funny one going on to Seamus Quirke Road as you have to immediately change to the right-hand lane to avoid the bus lane.
    When it really gets to me is when people in the right lane seem to be completely unaware there's someone in the left lane and would barge into them as both try to exit onto Seamus Quirke Road if the person on the left didn't brake.

Equally, I understand that in the morning it makes sense for lots of people going east in the morning to enter in the right-hand lane. It's the odd person who enters from the right-hand lane and exits onto the left-hand lane heading towards the Bridge that terrifies me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

It's the odd person who enters from the right-hand lane and exits onto the left-hand lane heading towards the Bridge that terrifies me.

Jesus! Tell me about! My housemate who is taking driving lessons was apparently told by his instructor that this is a correct maneuver on that roundabout. Baffling!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Jesus! Tell me about! My housemate who is taking driving lessons was apparently told by his instructor that this is a correct maneuver on that roundabout. Baffling!

If you're coming from Terryland, then the SQR is the 3rd exit (1st is back to NUIG, 2nd is the hospital) so you should be in the right lane for 3rd exit.

If you're coming from Terryland, then the SQR is the 3rd exit (1st is back to NUIG, 2nd is the hospital) so you should be in the right lane for 3rd exit.

No no no. If you look up the RSA's Rules of the Road there's no mention of 1st, 2nd , 3rd exit. They say;

"Going straight ahead (or any exit to the left of 12 o’clock) - Approach in the lefthand lane (unless road markings say otherwise)".

The added complication from your scenario is that the SQR exist is physically beyond the 12 o'clock mark when approaching from the bridge. BUT you pick your lane according to the roundabout layout as shown in the sign approaching the roundabout and this shows the SQR is the 12 o'clock exit.

357632.png

So you should be in the LEFT lane when going from the bridge to the SQR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Should you not apply this 'rule' from the RSA:
    This 'golden rule' should help motorists to drive safely at any roundabout regardless of the number of exits: Think of the roundabout as a clock.
    So for the Browne roundabout.... when approaching from Terrryland, the 3rd exit for the SQR (heading to Westside) is at 12 o'clock (according to the road sign). The Rules of the Road state that you should approach in the left lane.
    Going straight ahead (or any exit to the left of 12 o'clock)

Approach in the left-hand lane (unless road markings say otherwise) but do not indicate 'left' until you have passed the exit before the one you intend to take. Where traffic conditions dictate otherwise, for example a long line of traffic in the left lane signalling left or roads works in the left lane, you may follow the course shown by the red line.

Roundabout%20going%20straight.PNG

Advertisement