Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway motorists really grinding my gears

Options
  • 14-04-2015 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

It really grinds my gears when I queue up on the quincentennial Quincentenary bridge going from the college side to the headford road side. Most of the traffic at or before 6pm wants to go left. The correct lane is the outside one which is very busy. I think too many people cut in front of the queue by driving on the inside lane. They either zoom in front of a car that might have left a gap in front of them or they merge in cheekily when the lane expands/cuts left.

In the same area but to a lesser extent; at morning rush or other busy times coming in the opposite direction the rat race is fierce and cars will use the left lane in front of dunnes and then switch into the one of the two lanes going right.

Too many people are in too much of a rush or are just douche bags.

/rant

latest?cb=20100119021134

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Call Joe Keith
    Get a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Bike won't carry 2 young kids and wife (especially on a wet day). I have no idea who Joe/Keith are... radio?

Although a bike could probably be used by a huge chunk of those in that traffic.

Joe is like the patron saint of ranting. Keith is the local version.

Anyway, the issue has been going on since the bridge was built. Those people are your neighbours and are most proud of how they drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Its totally not fair to the ethical, well mannered driver. I find these people to be bullies in cars. The majority of them (IMO) are in bigger fancy cars. These guys won't get their come'up'ins and they probably arrive home/work in record time. I have nothing to lose if I was to emulate their style of driving. I'll be home/work 10 min earlier, no one will be pissed off with me that I'll have any direct contact with... (only civil society loses...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is that bridge anywhere near Quincentenary Bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

ratracer wrote: »
    Is that bridge anywhere near Quincentenary Bridge?

..it's one and the same..:rolleyes:

op, in the grand scheme of things,it's not that big a deal..if you can't beat them,join them..safely, of course...

and don't forget that the 50kph limit is only a 'guide'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Sniipe wrote: »
    It really grinds my gears when I queue up on the quincentennial Quincentenary bridge going from the college side to the headford road side. Most of the traffic at or before 6pm wants to go left. The correct lane is the outside one which is very busy. I think too many people cut in front of the queue by driving on the inside lane. They either zoom in front of a car that might have left a gap in front of them or they merge in cheekily when the lane expands/cuts left.

In the same area but to a lesser extent; at morning rush or other busy times coming in the opposite direction the rat race is fierce and cars will use the left lane in front of dunnes and then switch into the one of the two lanes going right.

/rant

latest?cb=20100119021134

Soooo many cretins driving around Galway. I hold particular hatred for those who zoom up the right hand lane at Dunnes Terryland (for turning right onto the Quinny Bridge) and than indicate left to pull into the correct lane at the last minute (to head in towards town at the Headford Road shopping centre junction). Queuing up like the rest of us is obviously beneath these important people who are in too much of a rush.

I loath you a$$hats and would sooner drive into than let you jump the queue. Glare all you want! It soothes my rage.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

First world problem,

Chill.

Put on some soothing music on your radio

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

My mind is blown that it's called the Quincentenary bridge, I've been pronouncing it wrong for 7 years!

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    First world problem, Chill. Put on some soothing music on your radio
    Or oil for your gears
    5-26404.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

People who use the left lane coming to a roundabout and travel 3/4 the way round happens every morning at Menlo park roundabout.

Is it that hard to know how to drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I always plan for people in Galway not knowing how to use roundabouts but the best is when they use the wrong lane and beep you out of it for watching a road safety ad in the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I always plan for people in Galway not knowing how to use roundabouts but the best is when they use the wrong lane and beep you out of it for watching a road safety ad in the last 20 years.

It's all well and good using them wrong until they are in a crash and then they're liable

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Late merging is actually encouraged in some countries.

"Governments hold campaigns to promote the late merge method because irritation, aggression and feelings of insecurity easily occur while "zipping". Often drivers who change lanes too early don't like to see other drivers continue until the end of the drop-away lane, even though this late merging is encouraged by the authorities. In Belgium, a driver must actually use the late merge by law (a driver can be penalised if he does not). In Austria and Germany only where a traffic sign so indicates."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merge_%28traffic%29

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Late merging is actually encouraged in some countries.

"Governments hold campaigns to promote the late merge method because irritation, aggression and feelings of insecurity easily occur while "zipping". Often drivers who change lanes too early don't like to see other drivers continue until the end of the drop-away lane, even though this late merging is encouraged by the authorities. In Belgium, a driver must actually use the late merge by law (a driver can be penalised if he does not). In Austria and Germany only where a traffic sign so indicates."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merge_%28traffic%29

Also known as zip merging - all this needs is a few signs saying "use both lanes" and "merge at exit" or similar. It is a more efficient use of lanes and fosters a sense of fairness rather than having some drivers thinking that others are getting away with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Soooo many cretins driving around Galway. I hold particular hatred for those who zoom up the right hand lane at Dunnes Terryland (for turning right onto the Quinny Bridge) and than indicate left to pull into the correct lane at the last minute (to head in towards town at the Headford Road shopping centre junction). Queuing up like the rest of us is obviously beneath these important people who are in too much of a rush.

I loath you a$$hats and would sooner drive into than let you jump the queue. Glare all you want! It soothes my rage.....
    This one in particular annoys me, although I'm not sure if it's always intentional. It seems to me that many people mistake the outside right-turning lane (onto the bridge) for a 2nd lane straight into town, it usually seems like rental cars to me or people out on their Sunday drive. The Sunday drivers are another story altogether...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

People are afraid to merge in freeways in Los Angeles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

rarnes1 wrote: »
    People who use the left lane coming to a roundabout and travel 3/4 the way round happens every morning at Menlo park roundabout.

Is it that hard to know how to drive?

This. Steady stream of cars doing this every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

The correct lane is the outside one which is very busy.
    Inside lane is left. Outside lane is right.
    You should be on the Inside (Left) lane for going Left !!!!

Grinds my gears that :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I cycle across this bridge every morning and every morning at the far end (headford road) without fail cars pull right across the cycle lane to turn left..... you practically have to wave in the window at them as you cycle along side to make sure they don't veer in to your path

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

porsche959 wrote: »
    People are afraid to merge in freeways in Los Angeles.

That's such a random post!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mars Bar wrote: »
    That's such a random post!

Just like most lane-use in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    This one in particular annoys me, although I'm not sure if it's always intentional. It seems to me that many people mistake the outside right-turning lane (onto the bridge) for a 2nd lane straight into town, it usually seems like rental cars to me or people out on their Sunday drive. The Sunday drivers are another story altogether...

Granted, but you can usally spot the out of towners and thats fair enough. Its the locals who know exactly what they are doing that gets me.

Someone else mentioned the roundabout thing too. Its tradition at this stage to use them incorrectly in Galway. Everyone else is doing it so sure I'll do the same. The people who use them as they should be (correct lane for their relevant exit) are the ones who get blown out of it by the rest. Its particularly galling to see Trucks and Buses using the incorrectly. They are supposed to be professional drivers and yet don't know something as basic as how to use a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

McTigs wrote: »
    I cycle across this bridge every morning and every morning at the far end (headford road) without fail cars pull right across the cycle lane to turn left..... you practically have to wave in the window at them as you cycle along side to make sure they don't veer in to your path

I say you have a few close calls there? People not using mirrors - I see it all the time. Can get the same issue on SQR as well but Headford Rd with the Slip lane makes it especially dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

Drivers that break the red light at the junction of College Road/Lough Atalia. Red means stop you cretins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

My mind is blown that it's called the Quincentenary bridge, I've been pronouncing it wrong for 7 years!

It is Quincentennial!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

/rant

It could actually be more efficient and result in less traffic congestion for everyone to use both lanes and then late merge or zipper merge.

If you are travelling westbound on Bothar na dTreabh at 6pm-ish, when you reach the Kirwan roundabout (Menlo/Pillo Hotel) the right lane on Headford Road heading towards town/Quincentenary Bridge is often completely backed-up to the roundabout, but the left lane is relatively empty. If you are planning on crossing the bridge, what's the best thing to do? Drive on to the roundabout and get stuck there? Don't enter the roundabout and block motorists who want to drive up Sandy Road? Or enter the left lane on the Headford Road and then merge into the right lane when there is an opportunity?

Now there are certain drivers who will always use the left lane and then late merge regardless just to 'get ahead'.
    Or sometimes if you try to late merge there might not be a gap and you could end up backing up traffic that want to continue on the Headford Road and head into the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It is Quincentennial!

It's official name is the Quincentenary Bridge, but the opening of the bridge would have been a Quincentennial Event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

People who turn right leaving McDonalds and the IMC Cinema on the Headford road and drive up one side of the double lane one way road looking at you like you're a complete ****ing eejit for driving on their side of the road. I don't usually condone murder but...

I suppose I should just relax, it's not like it's a "real" road anyway, or at least that seems to be their opinion.

Advertisement