Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed to Raw :-)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've officially crossed to side of certifiable lunatic. I bagged up Cocos small hard poo on the beach today and made himself squeeze it in the bag as I was so proud of it's 'consistency':eek:

Errrrr.....congratulations? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've officially crossed to side of certifiable lunatic. I bagged up Cocos small hard poo on the beach today and made himself squeeze it in the bag as I was so proud of it's 'consistency':eek:

Early on took a photo of the bagged poo (poo not actually visible) beside a clicker that was attached to the lead for perspective to show my mum lol! :p

What were Benson and Coco's poos like before switching? My friends setter - you can smell him farting from a mile off in the park before he does a poo - and they're not pretty! The kennels they use recommend Arden Grange and they won't entertain the notion that it might not agree with him and be the cause of his wind, bald patches, constantly gooey ears and bitey paws!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

DBB wrote: »
    Errrrr.....congratulations? :o

It was the first decent 'small hard one' she had done, we're on day 4 of raw feeding so we had a few days of 'detox poo' prior to this.

And I have to say, he did give the bag a squeeze and he was very impressed! I think after me chopping up hearts the other day he's not surprised at anything anymore:o.

tk123 wrote: »
    Early on took a photo of the bagged poo (poo not actually visible) beside a clicker that was attached to the lead for perspective to show my mum lol! :p

What were Benson and Coco's poos like before switching? My friends setter - you can smell him farting from a mile off in the park before he does a poo - and they're not pretty! The kennels they use recommend Arden Grange and they won't entertain the notion that it might not agree with him and be the cause of his wind, bald patches, constantly gooey ears and bitey paws!
    They weren't too bad, they were solid enough, but bigger. I went through a few different types of foods with them, Coco had the smelliest farts from Hills and looser poos but she loved it, I think it was the sticky sweet coating that was on it. Benson never had smelly farts but had 'loud' ones - so dried food definitely gave him wind. Luckily they never had ear infections or intolerances but my friends setter was plagued with them and she made the switch last year and hasn't looked back.

That's really bad about the kennels pushing the food like that, really annoying, can you not direct them towards this thread? I'm sure they would slash their vets bill by giving it a go, hell even switching to a different dried food might make a difference.

Believe me I've tried to convince them!! I went from being subtle about it to brutal lol! I won't name the kennels but lets just say the owner has a reputation of being rude/off with people and are based in Dublin! ;). My friend's husband is deaf in one ear so you'd often have to speak up or repeat yourself but he can hear the farts no probs because they're that loud!! It's so rare for Bailey to fart that he looks back at his bum in shock/surprise the odd time he does lol! :D

• Advertisement

Believe me I've tried to convince them!! I went from being subtle about it to brutal lol! I won't name the kennels but lets just say the owner has a reputation of being rude/off with people and are based in Dublin! ;). My friend's husband is deaf in one ear so you'd often have to speak up or repeat yourself but he can hear the farts no probs because they're that loud!! It's so rare for Bailey to fart that he looks back at his bum in shock/surprise the odd time he does lol! :D

Did you leave Bailey there before? Think I know where you're talking about;). Maybe if Bensons coat dramatically improves I might send you some before and after photos to help with the persuasion!

Benson used to do that as well, wonder where the noise of the fart was coming from!

I left him there once when he was a pup but don't think I'd use them again. Not that he was mistreated or anything just that I don't think I could handle the stress of me worrying I'd say the wrong thing and would be sent packing!!

Bailey's coat has really changed and is still getting thicker - I thought he was getting fat the other day until we went to hydro and he came out looking like skeletor! :D

I left him there once when he was a pup but don't think I'd use them again. Not that he was mistreated or anything just that I don't think I could handle the stress of me worrying I'd say the wrong thing and would be sent packing!!

Bailey's coat has really changed and is still getting thicker - I thought he was getting fat the other day until we went to hydro and he came out looking like skeletor! :D

Benson has the setter woolly coat that can happen with neutering. It's also still quite thin in places as he had mange when he was rescued, so it came out in clumps and when he finally arrived home to us he still had a fairly baldy belly. It's grown quite well but I'd like to see can I get the shine up and a bit of thickness to it.

I also want Coco to lose a little bit of weight. She put on a bit after her spay and also when Benson arrived about 18 months ago she started eating a bit more. She was never that into her food, only eating when she was hungry but when Benson landed she took more interest in it, just in case he would take her share!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Tk, my fella lost half his hair about 2 years ago after I switched to Arden grange. I nearly had a heart attack when I came home one day to tumble weed like clumps of white hair, he rarely sheds normally, just a bit on the brush. It ended up his belly and back end were near bald, with 4 or 5 days of taking him off the AG it stopped falling out. Took about 18 months to thicken up again and I still think its not right. Never again.
    I'm loving this raw thread, I will change my two over when I can.

Just to add, went to vet for tests, was defo the food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

mymo wrote: »

Just to add, went to vet for tests, was defo the food.

9 / 10 it is food sensitivity

The top 3 allergens are wheat (gluten), and processed meat (notably chicken and beef), and food chemicals used in dry food. These cause so much inflammation, which results in recurring skin, ear, eye, and gut issues.

That's always the crux of a recurring issue, remove the cause(s). If someone is punching you in the nose and your nose bleeds, your first thought of action should not be the best drug to stem a nose bleed, it should be to get out of the way of the next one.

Go for it Mymo, your dog can only benefit. If he doesn't, he stands only to gain from the removal of antigens that hammer their immune system not to mention the added vitamin and absorbable minerals in their time of illness. If his hair grows back I might even try it myself....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My vet never prescribed anything, just take him off the food and see what happens. The first thing he asked was had I changed food of washing powder, etc. He did take blood to check for other issues, but nothing came back.
    Less than a week after stopping the food the hair stopped falling out.

I am currently feeding barking heads lamb and rice and he's doing great on it, not as mad and hair is looking great. Grew back fine, just took forever as he's a long haired breed.

So far as I know barking heads is cereal free, the only source of meat is lamb. Chicken does have an effect on him.

If it's working then that's a good thing, best of luck!

It was the first decent 'small hard one' she had done, we're on day 4 of raw feeding so we had a few days of 'detox poo' prior to this.

And I have to say, he did give the bag a squeeze and he was very impressed! I think after me chopping up hearts the other day he's not surprised at anything anymore:o.

Lets see it then.......

DogsFirst wrote: »
    Lets see it then.......

Unfortunately I left it in a black poo bag in a bin on the beach:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Interesting new research into dogs and carbohydrates http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/23/science/la-sci-how-dogs-evolved-20130124

Was reading this the other day alright, and meant to post it, so you saved me a job ISDW!
    It's really interesting that this study builds on the evidence first mooted by Ray and Lorna Coppinger 10 or so years ago, that wolves domesticated themselves, rather than us setting out to do so by robbing cubs from dens as had traditionally been supposed.
    As for their ability to digest starch better than wolves, I'd love to know how good the wolves are at it? I mean, can wolves do it a bit... that dogs can do it 5 times better, does that still mean that dogs can still only manage it a bit, just more than wolves can?!
    I don't suppose it comes as any great surprise that dogs can digest starch to some extent... but what would seriously turn things on their heads would be if they find a gene in the canine genome which codes for dealing with gluten, lactose, and all the other nasties which tend to cause problems with dogs :eek:

Spot on. Dogs can digest starch, it's really easy easy stuff to break down, and an excellent source of energy. Like you said the problem is when it suddenly comprises 50% of their diet. Dogs require zero in their diet, they make their own via glucogensis, same as all carnivores. The sad truth is dry food companies leap on these studies and use them to support a diet of 50% cheap cereal / carbs, and all the other stuff that goes with it. If wheat is an entirely inappropriate every day cereal for humans, dogs are going to fare a lot worse. Ignoring the fact that dogs are 25 - 50 times more likley to suffer pancreatitis (the dogs pancreas has to do do all the carb breaking down, as well as produce enough insulin to balance soaring blood sugars, all completely unnatural), and suffer diabetes far more than humans, 2/5 dogs are obese, now exceeding westerner society. It's carbs fault with us but with dogs it must be something else!!

Rather than staring a new thread... I got a couple of packs of Nature diet at the weekend to try as a back up plan if for whatever reason we can't feed raw.
    Anyhoos I'm a bit confused about the feeding amount - it's basically double the amount I'd feed on raw. Is this right? I'm assuming there's water added etc so it's not as condensed (if that's the right word) compared to meat/fish and veg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Got chicken today for Lexi in the butchers rather than the supermarkets and it was only €2/kg :-)

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Got chicken today for Lexi in the butchers rather than the supermarkets and it was only €2/kg :-)

I only noticed today (and I thought it was really sneaky) but I was in Dunnes and I had bought chicken thighs from the reduced fridge just before Christmas and put it in the freezer, 1kg packs. Was there today and their pack size had reduced to 950g.

I bought in bulk from dogsfirst when they were doing offers a few weeks back so got chicken at €1.30 per kg:). I also got 20kg of salmon which the dogs LOVE. They devour it, even Coco:p. and I mix it up with the mash & veg and it's still devoured. Defo a favourite.

• Advertisement

Rather than staring a new thread... I got a couple of packs of Nature diet at the weekend to try as a back up plan if for whatever reason we can't feed raw.
    Anyhoos I'm a bit confused about the feeding amount - it's basically double the amount I'd feed on raw. Is this right? I'm assuming there's water added etc so it's not as condensed (if that's the right word) compared to meat/fish and veg?

Jayney, I don't know... I used Naturediet when we went on hols down t'country last year and fed the troops the same amount as I'd feed of raw food? They didn't seem too put out by it in the hunger stakes, but I suppose you could supplement with tinned fish if you think he's hungry on it? For the price of it it's a damn good prepared food, to use as a stopgap if you can't raw feed for a week or two.

I'm not worried about him being hungry on it - more him turning into a fatty-bum-bum!! He only only gets around 400g of raw a day (as well as other daily treats) to keep him lean - the ND trays are 390g. Pet Mania sell single trays btw so you can get a mix of flavors - works out at around 30-40c a tray dearer than buying online but perfect if you want to mix and match. He loved the salmon one we tried last week so might start giving him a tray once a week for a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Any die hard raw feeders including a fast day in their regime? My dog's been fed raw all his life - he'll be three 1st of May - and I find his teeth are almost spotless (first traces of brown have appeared, very minimally, on the back ones); his weight is perfect if on the lean side (vet comments on it but usually by describing him as 'nice and lean'), but I find he fasts himself approximately once a week. I put dinner down at night and it's still there in the morning.

He can be odd about his food sometimes but we have a 'no eat, no treat' policy so that night's dinner goes in the bin and he gets fresh the next night (as opposed to being offered an alternative).

I thought about it recently and I reckon it happens about once a week. Am wondering about introducing an actual fast day so I don't waste a night's food... Awkward dog is fed at night because he'll ignore his food if anything else interesting is happening in the house. He's fed last thing before bed.

Why do you throw it out - could you not put it in the fridge for the next day? Don't think greedy Bailey would ever fast himself lol! :D

Why do you throw it out - could you not put it in the fridge for the next day? Don't think greedy Bailey would ever fast himself lol! :D

I don't think mine would do it either! They seem hungrier now than when I used to feed them kibble, even though I feed them twice a day as per before, even though they're getting more 'grams' than with kibble, they're not getting full. Coco just stuck the paw into the bowl and looked at me which is her way of saying 'I'm hungry'. (and she got an extra load of salmon today as I had defrosted about 1200g rather than a kg between them.

Jayney... I just can't imagine having a fast day here, there'd be war!
    But interesting that you do hear of occasional dogs who naturally take a fast day themselves.
    Does anyone know where the idea of a fast day came from? My understanding is that it's from the idea that wolves don't eat every day, and may have to go several days without eating.. is that it? Or is there something more to it than that?

DBB wrote: »
    Jayney... I just can't imagine having a fast day here, there'd be war!
    But interesting that you do hear of occasional dogs who naturally take a fast day themselves.
    Does anyone know where the idea of a fast day came from? My understanding is that it's from the idea that wolves don't eat every day, and may have to go several days without eating.. is that it? Or is there something more to it than that?

Maybe wolves have more cop on - Bailey would eat until he got sick..and then probably eat the sick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

tk123 that made me snort laughing cos I'd say my lot would do the exact same :D

I don't do a fast day but on the rare occasion I forget to defrost food they do without until the next day. There would be anarchy here if I had a regular fast day, there could be cats doing the tango in the kitchen and none of mine would lift the head out of their bowl until it was clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sometimes he won't touch his food until the small hours. Usually I put it down, he sniffs it and then he moves away and lies in his bed until everyone is gone before eating. Subsequently I don't wait to see if he's eating, and if he's not, the raw will have been lying out at room temp for 8 hours by the time I get up - bin it is!

If it has been an exciting day (e.g loads of people over for a BBQ) he won't eat that night. He's been in kennels twice and starved himself each time. He's well suited to raw because he eats each piece slowly and carefully, but he definitely has issues with food. He was starved as a pup (rescue origins).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Maybe wolves have more cop on - Bailey would eat until he got sick..and then probably eat the sick :pac:

Hahaha TK that's exactly what Lexi is like. There would be war if I fasted one esp if the others are eating.

Advertisement