Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittant Fasting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

mufcboy, go to youtube and search the hodgetwins.

I think you mean 'twinmuscleworkout' - its the same guys but they're talking about bodybuilding, rather than newsheadlines. They have a few recent videos on IF - cutting/bulking, is it okay to take creatine, positive testimonials on IF etc... quite good i thought. I will be trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

mufcboy, go to youtube and search the hodgetwins.

they answer that exact question. They have a lot of videos on IF. Great for a very very basic intro.

iv seen that they started up a separate IF channel, must give their videos more of a watch.

i just want to know can it be done bulking or would it be a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

iv seen that they started up a separate IF channel, must give their videos more of a watch.

It can be done. I've posted my progress pic on page 3.

Don't expect to get huge in short amount of time. It's good if you prefer steady progress in lean body mass with minimal fat gain.

The only thing I could think of that would be inconvenient while bulking, is the amount of food you would have to eat in relatively short amount of time. But that also depends on your caloric requirements.

muffinn wrote: »
    It can be done. I've posted my progress pic on page 3.

Don't expect to get huge in short amount of time. It's good if you prefer steady progress in lean body mass with minimal fat gain.

The only thing I could think of that would be inconvenient while bulking, is the amount of food you would have to eat in relatively short amount of time. But that also depends on your caloric requirements.

you can really see the gains on the shoulders and back, well done buddy huge improvement.

currently maintaining atm myself after finishing a bulk where i was around 9 % bf at 72kg to 13.2 % at 78kg, bit of a fat gain and loss of abs but serious change up top chest,shoulders, traps and arms have gained a lot of size and strength.

im just worried because id have 8 hours to consume at least 3500 calories which is my requirement. Im an ecto/meso, I struggled to take in 3500 cals daily so an 8 hour window is going to be very tough but a 16 hr fast and an 8 hour eating window daily, this is how it works right ?

And in terms of a hgh increase how have you felt? i heard the hodgetwins comparing the diet to that of a caffeine effect in terms of energy etc, they said they could literally feel the effects of the nutrients from the food lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

you can really see the gains on the shoulders and back, well done buddy huge improvement.

currently maintaining atm myself after finishing a bulk where i was around 9 % bf at 72kg to 13.2 % at 78kg, bit of a fat gain and loss of abs but serious change up top chest,shoulders, traps and arms have gained a lot of size and strength.

im just worried because id have 8 hours to consume at least 3500 calories which is my requirement. Im an ecto/meso, I struggled to take in 3500 cals daily so an 8 hour window is going to be very tough but a 16 hr fast and an 8 hour eating window daily, this is how it works right ?

And in terms of a hgh increase how have you felt? i heard the hodgetwins comparing the diet to that of a caffeine effect in terms of energy etc, they said they could literally feel the effects of the nutrients from the food lol.

You may feel kind of tired and less energetic for the first couple of days on IF, but once your body gets used to it you will be fine.

My training was either in fasting state or on BCAA's and you actually feel full of energy during your fast period and in the gym but I'd say its more because of elevated levels of catecholamines in your blood than HGH.

3500 kcal in 8h can be hard if your diet has loads of carbs in it. If you can reduce some carbs in favour of fat you should be grand.

EDIT: You would be surprised how much you can eat in one sitting after heavy lift gym session if you have fasted for 16-18h :D

I'd say give it a go for a week and see how it goes.

• Advertisement

muffinn wrote: »
    You may feel kind of tired and less energetic for the first couple of days on IF, but once your body gets used to it you will be fine.

My training was either in fasting state or on BCAA's and you actually feel full of energy during your fast period and in the gym but I'd say its more because of elevated levels of catecholamines in your blood than HGH.

3500 kcal in 8h can be hard if your diet has loads of carbs in it. If you can reduce some carbs in favour of fat you should be grand.

EDIT: You would be surprised how much you can eat in one sitting after heavy lift gym session if you have fasted for 16-18h :D

I'd say give it a go for a week and see how it goes.

ye id expect to be on a bit of a downer for the first few days alright. It would be a total flip to what i was doing in eating 6 meals throughout the day including a weight gainer which i supplemented to my diet for convenience. Baiscally I was on the seafood diet (eat anything i see :)) which was very high in carbs, fats and protein but it worked for me aswell as explain my rise in body fat :D.

I was thinking of going the low carb route but i find it hard when bulking, grand when cutting as getting more defined spurs me on but especally coming from an ecto's point of view when bulking the likes of a high carb mass gainer made things so much easier because my appetite is terrible. I could litrally fast no problem, it was the eating i found the hardest so this 8 hour window is going to be challenging to say the least.

but look il give it a shot, wont be starting my next bulk till september so il start on it then and see how i get on. Cheers for the help , appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

I usually fast from 6pm until 3-6pm the following day. That way, you are going up to 24 hours a day without eating whilst still being able to eat every day, if you know what I mean!.

Singlesnights when you were doing your fasting above, after your 24 hour fast did you try and fit all you calorie needs into your 3 hour window or what did you do?. We say for argument sake your intake was 2000cals. Did you eat all of this in your 3 hours??

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭singlesnights

Ant11 wrote: »
    Singlesnights when you were doing your fasting above, after your 24 hour fast did you try and fit all you calorie needs into your 3 hour window or what did you do?. We say for argument sake your intake was 2000cals. Did you eat all of this in your 3 hours??

No, I didn't really pay any attention to any 3 hour windows or anything like that.

I just made sure not to overeat when I did resume eating. A key part of this is chewing your food very, very slowly. After a fast, food tastes SO good so I think it's important to enjoy every morsel, rather than wolf down loads cookie-monster style!

In short, there was nothing scientific about the way I did it. I simply used it as a way to significantly decrease my calorie intake and I found it a very easy way to lose weight.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Yeah I know what you mean. I was watching the HodgeTwins talking about their 24 hour fast n just wanted to see what you thought of it. I'm trying to cut body fat so I'm watching my intake n want to make sure I'm above my maintenance on gym days to maintain the muscle I have and below on rest days. Ive lost 1% so far so I'm going in right direction. I was considering going for a longer fast but I think I would struggle to eat my maintenance if my eating window was significantly shorter. I suppose it's down to trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Could you show me a link to their new IF channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Dathai wrote: »

Right, I'm potentially derailing the thread but is that the correct form for deadlifting with a rounded back? I've never looked into much it but I've read somewhere (cant't remember) aslong as the spine doesn't move it's ok to lift like this? It looks like there's spinal movement going on on & when he locks out he's excessively hyperextending, is this a recipe for disaster? Still impressive though!! Views?

My back hurts watching this & the music scared my cat!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Yeah, my back hurt watching it, as did my ego (I'll probably never hit those numbers). I think he's screaming out the hunger pains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

From my limited deadlifting knowledge, as long as it is the upper back that is arched it is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

From my limited deadlifting knowledge, as long as it is the upper back that is arched it is okay, COH or Hanley to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

I'm thinking of starting intermittent fasting next week. My goal is to cut down on my body-fat -- I'm not fat but I would like to get down to a decent body-fat %. I have been maintaining a deficit of around 750 for the last 3 days and I feel I would be able to do this more easily if all my calories are being consumed in a 6 hour period.

I just have one question. In terms of fat loss, is calories out > calories in all that really matters, or are the macros very important? I've only been taking calories into consideration since I've started the deficit and have taken no notice of my macros.

BKC wrote: »
    I'm thinking of starting intermittent fasting next week. My goal is to cut down on my body-fat -- I'm not fat but I would like to get down to a decent body-fat %. I have been maintaining a deficit of around 750 for the last 3 days and I feel I would be able to do this more easily if all my calories are being consumed in a 6 hour period.

I just have one question. In terms of fat loss, is calories out > calories in all that really matters, or are the macros very important? I've only been taking calories into consideration since I've started the deficit and have taken no notice of my macros.

I have the same goal as you and am on my second week of IF. I count my macros, not calories. I have my macros worked out to give me the deficit I want, which is way easier than trying to count calories. I chose to make my protein intake a good bit higher to try and preserve my muscle, and hopefully not lose muscle while losing body fat. I keep my protein intake constant, on training days I have my carbs high n fat low and on rest day the opposite.

Calories in > calories out question has been argued a number of times. I'm not knowledgable enough so I'm not gona go there. I just do what works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

on the 2 preworkout meal option, breaking fast at 1300 and training at 1700-1800, would an am(0600) moderate intensity run be counterproductive?
    id normally do this 3/4 mornings a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

exercise while in the fasted state seems to be quite good for you. Theres a good bit written on it on the leangains site afaik

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

ferike1 wrote: »
    From my limited deadlifting knowledge, as long as it is the upper back that is arched it is okay, COH or Hanley to confirm?

Complete opposite. Keep lower back arched and upper can pretty much do whatevr it wants

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

exercise while in the fasted state seems to be quite good for you. Theres a good bit written on it on the leangains site afaik

Yeah I know but from what I've been able to find out your meant to come out of fast after exercise, I'm asking would staying fasted for a further 5/6 hours after a session have a negative effect.

GASMANN wrote: »

Yeah I know but from what I've been able to find out your meant to come out of fast after exercise, I'm asking would staying fasted for a further 5/6 hours after a session have a negative effect.

I'm not sure about negative effect on your body. You may find it ok but the next person would hate it. I think you will just have to try it and see how it goes, you will know yourself after a week or 2 if it's suitable for you.

For the last 2 weeks I've started training fasted at 6:30am and have waited till 12/1 to break my fast and it didn't bother me at all nor effect my lifts. This week I've decided to move my window to 10:30/11 as I don't want my window to run that late into the evening. I find training in mornings more beneficial for burning body fat, which is my goal.

Before this I was training in evenings so I was doing the pre-workout meal. I found I was full when training but I still had a good sessions. I would come home from gym about 7pm n have my PWO but I found it hard to take that much in and find it a lot easier to have my PWO earlier in the day so my evening meals are smaller. Again this is my preference.

As you can see I've played around with IF to see what suited me, I tried different eating windows and different training times etc. So after all that waffle my advise is to try it and see what you think and make your own decision. If its having a negative effect on your body you will probably notice it or feel different or maybe it will effect your lifts etc. similarly you will notice if it's having a positive effect too.

"your meant to come out of fast after exercise"

its not neccessary no according to few things ive read anyways.

"your meant to come out of fast after exercise"

its not neccessary no according to few things ive read anyways.

Leangains does mention a number of different options depending on the time you train. Not everyone will be able to train fasted. It would be very difficult if you trained at 6pm and eat nothing all day and then try to consume all your calories PWO to whatever time you go to bed.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I may be wrong on this one but I thought it was very beneficial to get large amounts of protein into you directly after training and thats why we all take pwo shakes no ?

Therefore training fasted and remaining fasted is a no no ?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I may be wrong on this one but I thought it was very beneficial to get large amounts of protein into you directly after training and thats why we all take pwo shakes no ?

Therefore training fasted and remaining fasted is a no no ?

No one is suggesting training fasted and remaining fasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Is that not what's being asked here ?

RobAMerc wrote: »

Is that not what's being asked here ?

Sorry I think I read your post wrong, yeah that's what gasmann was asking but none of us were saying that's what he should do. From Leangains he does say if you were to workout 6/7am to have bcaa's before n after workout n then break the fast 12ish so technically that could be about 4 hours after workout.

Gasmann wants to do it a bit differently as he runs early in morning n then wants to break his fast at lunch time but then weight train in the evening so he asked would it be counter productive doing that.

one I watched recently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmXLqmqBzeU&playnext=1&list=PLD7EA4B39BF6A55DC&feature=results_video

the importance of not eating pwo.

*readies for controversy*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

one I watched recently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmXLqmqBzeU&playnext=1&list=PLD7EA4B39BF6A55DC&feature=results_video

the importance of not eating pwo.

*readies for controversy*

interesting..been looking at a few of these guys vids..all good info..

i normally have a whey protein shake shortly after a workout and then food between 1-3hours after the shake. im gonna give this a bash tomorrow.. gonna wait a few hours to have food after the workout

Advertisement