Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

season 5 what do expect? (for book readers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Would it be out of the question to want to see George himself play Wyman Manderley?

He was rumoured to be playing a part sooner or later.

At the risk of ostracising myself by repeating this but Brian Blessed has to be Wyman Manderley or I'll hunt D&D through all 7 hells :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

At the risk of ostracising myself by repeating this but Brian Blessed has to be Wyman Manderley or I'll hunt D&D through all 7 hells :pac:

I would have to insist he keeps getting Davos's name wrong if he is cast.

"The wolf will prove the boy is who we say he is, should the Dreadfort attempt to deny him. That is my price, Lord David. Smuggle me back my liege lord, and I will take Stannis Baratheon as my king"

"Actually ..it's Davos m'lord."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

I'm actually hopeful they get her personality right, she's the ultimate girl a man would ignore every rational thought in his being just to be around her for 5minutes. Hotness a part of it, but she has to be the type you'd fall in love with too.

I'd love to see Mads Mikkelsson (plays Hannibal & is in a recent James Bond film) play Victarion

Yes, Victarion is one of my favourite characters. I think the actor will have to deal with the tricky combination of Victarions honesty and receptiveness but also that intimating presence his physique and amour give him. Similar to Ned, he is very much a likeable character and I hope this continues.

The kingsmoot is, for obvious reasons next season, one of the most important scenes for Weiss, Beinhoff, et al

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Has anyone seen these Dornish master plan videos?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6TBfdd_xNVo

Mind = obliterated. Makes Doran's casting absolutely huge and explains why so many Sand Snakes are being cast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Mind = obliterated. Makes Doran's casting absolutely huge and explains why so many Sand Snakes are being cast?

MIND. BLOWN. Holy shít

• Advertisement

I may have gotten a little side-tracked for the past hour or so watching those videos. Class! :D

It's because of all these little possibilities and connections that I love the books. How you'd communicate any or all of that through the show if true is beyond anyone's guess though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

My dinner is burnt, my kids not in pyjamas yet, my washing not done - my mind BLOWN!

What I love about this is it shows how good these books are that there are so many subtle and simultaneous stories going on at the same time.

If this is the quality of work from George, he can take his sweet time finishing the books if they're going to be this good!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've only watched part one yet, I'm actually scared to go on, but holy crap!

Edit: Watched part 2 and I'm not sure I buy the mirri maz duur stuff. The way the show has been going I think they would have been a bit more on the nose with some of this stuff, might be a due a re-watch to look for clues though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Jebus tap dancing zombie christ, that was fcuking awesome and I am still only on part one, as good as the explanation we get from Cersei as to why Tywin hated King Aerys so much, the background stories could last forever from these books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I don't buy into the Mirri Maz Dur stuff either, how could they have been sure she wouldn't be killed by the Dothraki before she could speak to Danaerys? But everything else he said made an audible click in my brain :D

• Advertisement

It's pretty much the Doran Martell show now as far as I'm concerned! I've watched it like 3 times now, still think it's absolutely crazy. As above Mirri Maz Dur and also Quentyn are my stumbling blocks but he does quite a good job justifying the latter regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The pink letter ones are better IMO.

Turtyturd wrote: »

I'm aware of the bones of the theory - that it's fake and not from Ramsay. Have you any links to further discussion / analysis?

I'm aware of the bones of the theory - that it's fake and not from Ramsay. Have you any links to further discussion / analysis?

It should be one of the suggested videos under the Dornish ones.

I took the letter at face value while reading the book but it makes a good argument about it not being from Ramsay and the reasons why.

Edit: Here's one...not sure if it's part 1. Just noticed the same guy has one about the locusts.

Ah here, all that has to it is that Mance wrote it instead of Ramsey, hardly shocking. In fact, I remember wondering why it wasn't written in blood when reading it but I dismissed it. The Dorne ones are way, way beyond anything that can be spotted on a first or even third read-through.

Ah here, all that has to it is that Mance wrote it instead of Ramsey, hardly shocking. In fact, I remember wondering why it wasn't written in blood when reading it but I dismissed it. The Dorne ones are way, way beyond anything that can be spotted on a first or even third read-through.

That's all that's in the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

There's three parts to the Pink Letter Theory. Great theory IMO. The whole Giants = Greenseers was a mind blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone got text versions of those theories?

I've just watched the first Pink Letter clip and well I have to say that since the moment I read that in the books I assumed it was
    Mance Raydar
    . Spoilered identity just because.

It was the use of
    Bastard
    at every opportunity that really raised suspicions for me as
    Mance
    knew it was a pressure point he could use on Jon. I'll watch the rest now.

I've just watched the first Pink Letter clip and well I have to say that since the moment I read that in the books I assumed it was
    Mance Raydar
    . Spoilered identity just because.

It was the use of
    Bastard
    at every opportunity that really raised suspicions for me as
    Mance
    knew it was a pressure point he could use on Jon. I'll watch the rest now.

I didn't cop that
    Mance was the singer until after I had finished the book

• Advertisement

That's all that's in the video?

I've watched them all.

It's a bit mad alright, I mean if half of these theories are true there's no way he could wrap it up in 2 books. I just don't think it's as intricate as the Dorne one, which has roots in the very first novel (whether or not you believe them is another story).

I've watched them all.

It's a bit mad alright, I mean if half of these theories are true there's no way he could wrap it up in 2 books. I just don't think it's as intricate as the Dorne one, which has roots in the very first novel (whether or not you believe them is another story).

You said that all there is to it is that Mance wrote the letter, that's clearly not the case. He'd be doing well to drag that out three videos.

I watched these again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

They're great theories but just remind me too much of Lost. People would come up with all these amazing theories then eh no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

And sometimes it's not...

The directors for Season 5 have been announced along with the episodes they're doing.

"Episodes 501 and 502: Michael Slovis (episodes of AMC’s Breaking Bad, NBC’s Law & Order: SVU)
    Episodes 503 and 504: Mark Mylod (episodes of Showtime’s Shameless and HBO’s Entourage)
    Episodes 505 and 506: Jeremy Podeswa (episodes of HBO’s Boardwalk Empire and Showtime’s The Tudors)
    Episodes 507 and 508: Miguel Sapochnik (episodes of Fox’s House and Fringe)
    Episodes 509 and 510: David Nutter (known as “the pilot whisperer” for his track record in getting pilots picked up to series; Nutter directed four epiosdes of Thrones"

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/15/game-of-thrones-season-5-directors/

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Stephen Fry as Wyman Manderly anyone? essentially the same character he plays as the Master of Laketown in the Hobbit

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Stephen Fry as Wyman Manderly anyone? essentially the same character he plays as the Master of Laketown in the Hobbit

Brian Blessed is Wyman Manderley but if and I stress if he isn't then Stephen Fry would be the dream back up. I'd settle for Fry but I'll start a one man revolution if it isn't offered to Blessed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Don't think this has been posted. New cast members for S5.

Thoughts.
    Doran - Doesn't quite look the part to me.
    Tyrstane - Seems perfect.
    Myrcella (third of her name?) - small enough role, probably ok.
    Areo - nailed it.
    Yezzen - lol, just lol.
    Sand Snakes - seems fine, I guess it depends which one they plan giving the main role to.
    Sparrow - Hmmm, an ex Bond baddie - doubtful if he'll make the same mark as Alec Trevelyn. Seems a good choice though.

Advertisement