Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

David Price just gave up only one hit and had only one walk and pitched the entire game*. Unfortunately the one hit was a triple that followed an error so resulted in an unearned run but as the offence couldn't score a run for him, he ends up losing.

That can't be something that happens too often is it?

* Only 8.0 innings as the Rays didn't need to bat in the ninth.
    Speaking of hard luck losses, the Angels lost a game a few years back without given up a hit.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/y2009/index.jsp?gid=2008_06_28_anamlb_lanmlb_1&mode=box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nats walk off again. That's something like 4 out of the last 5 games they've done that. Amazing stuff.

When your team are 10 games under, it's easy to get excited about anything positive so the Mets just turning a triple play has put a smile on my face. Ok it was a routine double play and should have been nothing more than that until Yasiel Puig made another stupid base running decision and got thrown out at the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

and it looks like that was Colon's last game for the Mets, should go to the Angels or Dodgers.

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    and it looks like that was Colon's last game for the Mets, should go to the Angels or Dodgers.

We should find out today if he's been claimed or not. Oakland could have put in a claim to prevent him going to LAA but if they did they'd risk getting stuck with his contract.

I think it'd be better for the Mets for him to clear waivers so they can deal him to whoever offers the best deal but getting out of paying him $12m next year is attractive I'm sure.

Great performance yesterday from him considering his mother had died and it was in between her passing and the funeral which is on this Thursday.

And if this was his last start, his last pitch was that triple play so not a bad way to finish up!

EDIT - He's cleared waivers so probably not going anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

yeah looks like no one wants to take on that contract. Can someone clarify a point about waivers: if a player has been claimed on waivers do they have to take the player on his current contract or can they negotiate a deal with the player's current club?

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    yeah looks like no one wants to take on that contract. Can someone clarify a point about waivers: if a player has been claimed on waivers do they have to take the player on his current contract or can they negotiate a deal with the player's current club?

There are 3 option for the team that tries to waive a player.

1. Let the claiming team have him and take on his full contract
    2. Work out a trade with that team that may involve paying some of his salary.
    3. Pull him back off waivers which means he can't be traded until after the season.

So the only way a claiming team could get some salary relief would be option 2 and that would involve his current team agreeing to continue to pay him. It does happen though and I'd say it might happen this season if the Phillies but one or two of their big contracts through waivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

First Baez, now Soler.

Soler homers to centre in 1st at bat.

As a Cubs fan, this really excites me. Now can the club tie all this together and not just be one off sparks of excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The A's are in complete freefall at the moment. About to get swept by the Angels, Scott Kazmir lasts 1 1/3rd innings and leaves with the bases loaded and then their manager gets ejected. Currently 6-0 Angels in the bottom of the second.

• Advertisement

The A's are in complete freefall at the moment. About to get swept by the Angels, Scott Kazmir lasts 1 1/3rd innings and leaves with the bases loaded and then their manager gets ejected. Currently 6-0 Angels in the bottom of the second.

Strange that both them and the Tigers have ben struggling ever since they made their blockbuster trades that were guaranteed to have them in the ALCS.

Today's the last day as well for non-waiver trades for players who want to be eligible for the post season. Only Adam Dunn to the A's so far but there probably won't be many more.

EDIT - Broxton to division rivals Brewers for 2 players to be named later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Yeah it is very strange. You could easily argue the A's lost more then a good bat when Cespedes left because they have not looked like the same team since he left. On paper that trade made a good deal of sense as pitching had usually let the A's down in the postseason recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Strange that both them and the Tigers...

You beat me to it. Tigers are struggling mightily. Now if only the Mariners could start losing too, and the Jays keep winning the 2nd WC could get interesting. I don't hold much hope but you never know...

Mayberry Jnr from the Phils to the Jays btw.

Giancarlo Stanton is a beast. If he wasn't hitting at Marlins Park, God knows how many home runs he'd have. He hit a home run in his first at-bat today and in his next two appearances, he crushed the ball and I'd say in most other ballparks they would have been home runs too but Marlins Park is so bloody big, they died on the warning track.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/history/rare_feats/index.jsp?feature=consecutive_homers

Bautista has 5 in a row; wonder can he become 18th to at least 6?

September call-ups today - it'll be interesting to see who everyone brings up.

While the Phillies throw a no hitter, the Mets have a 6 error game. Torture watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Phillies get a combined no hitter. The mets are having a shocker of an eight inning.

While the Phillies throw a no hitter, the Mets have a 6 error game. Torture watching this.

Snap.

Sweet Jesus stop this.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus stop this.

Times like this I wish there was a mercy rule.

And what the hell is Terry Collins doing bringing a guy to make his major league debut with the bases loaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

mod9maple wrote: »
    September call-ups today - it'll be interesting to see who everyone brings up.
    I see the Royals are calling up the guy they drafted in the 1st round of this years draft. Big call to bring up a guy who has only a couple of months playing pro ball under his belt...

Times like this I wish there was a mercy rule.

And what the hell is Terry Collins doing bringing a guy to make his major league debut with the bases loaded?

God knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Today's the last day as well for non-waiver trades for players who want to be eligible for the post season. Only Adam Dunn to the A's so far but there probably won't be many more.

Dunn hit a HR in his first AB tonight.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    God knows.

There was a story earlier today that the Mets fired their head of ticket sales because they are 13th in the NL in attendance this year. Somehow I don't think people not showing up was her fault.

8-10 wrote: »
    Dunn hit a HR in his first AB tonight.

Not a bad start. Their offence seems to have woken up today after being dead over the weekend.

So we've reached that time of year where division battles hot up, E numbers come into play in the standings and the WC race turns some of us into score watchers on a daily basis.

I see Bo Porter got sacked in Houston; seems it was a clash of personalities between him and the GM.

mod9maple wrote: »
    So we've reached that time of year where division battles hot up, E numbers come into play in the standings and the WC race turns some of us into score watchers on a daily basis.

I see Bo Porter got sacked in Houston; seems it was a clash of personalities between him and the GM.

Yeah, looking forward to the last month of the season. If the last month has shown us anything it's that you can't be sure of what's going to happen. Who would have thought a month ago that Kansas City and the Angels would be ahead of Detroit and Oakland?

The Brewers are in a bit of a bad batch at the moment and despite not playing great, the Cardinals have snook into the lead so it'll be interesting to see what happens there.

A few days game today which is nice!

The Brewers are in a bit of a bad batch at the moment and despite not playing great, the Cardinals have snook into the lead so it'll be interesting to see what happens there.

The NLC seems to be falling apart. The Brewers have now lost 8 in a row and the Pirates 4. They're gifting the division to St. Louis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Yeah, looking forward to the last month of the season. If the last month has shown us anything it's that you can't be sure of what's going to happen. Who would have thought a month ago that Kansas City and the Angels would be ahead of Detroit and Oakland?

A few days game today which is nice!

The sure-fire ALCS matchup of Oakland and Detroit is now the AL Wild Card matchup. Crazy how things change so quickly.

Advertisement