Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oiling up the Tape Players out in Montrose.

• 23-12-2007 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Its that time again!! season of goodwill joy.

I was listening to Marzie Finucane this morning telling us "We'll be back with you next Saturday....." Will she?? or will Montrose be staffed by two porters ,a continuity announcer, and a fleet of taperecorders for the TWO WEEKS of their Xmas???

Its always a good time to see what the current pecking order is and who gets the time off and who works..

I'll keep yez informed;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I seem to remember a similar thread last year about Christmas holidays of radio presenters...most of the country shuts down for these two weeks, so why should RTÉ be any different?

I finished work on the 21st and am not back in the office until Jan 3rd or so, and I don't begrudge myself (or any one else!) a decent break at the end of the year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah down with the RTE bashing ;)

I just tried to check the schedules on rte.ie, they only give two days worth. Things go to hell from 11 am in the morning.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yakuza wrote: »
    I seem to remember a similar thread last year about Christmas holidays of radio presenters...most of the country shuts down for these two weeks, so why should RTÉ be any different?

I finished work on the 21st and am not back in the office until Jan 3rd or so, and I don't begrudge myself (or any one else!) a decent break at the end of the year :)

OoooKay, then by your logic its fine for Dublin Bus,Bus Eireann, Iarnrod Eireann,Aer Rianta,Hospitals etc etcto pull down the shutters and operate on a skeleton service for two weeks??.

RTE is a Public service broadcaster for which I pay a hefty fee.
    The holiday period is the time when most people want to relax and be entertained and RTE should recognise this. They want their cake and eat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Let's not forget that Newtalk will also have their tape machine on overdrive too! Remember last year? I'd rather not!

Yes indeed, now would be a good time to take over the country,the whole kip is on automatic pilot and no one would know until about the 5th of January.

SOT

I hear Ronan Collins spent the last 10 days in Ethoipia...whats the story there?

"Charity" work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Excellent. Its Flutter's patented "Humbug to RTÉ" thread :D
    DMC wrote: »
    I betcha any money, you'll be here at mid-term break, St Patrick's Day, Easter etc. banging on at the same point.

Prophetic words. ;)

Well what do you think???

Do you think it's ok to turn on the tape recorders for two weeks around Xmas and one week around every Bank Holiday.

They get paid well enough surely.

Well what do you think???

Here and here.

Happy Christmas! :)

Good man, good man... you are apparently, quite happy with recordings and a "B" team in charge for the whole Xmas period, until the sixth of Jan.

Thats fine ,respect your opinion,thats the way it was always done ,so why change, yeah ok, I see where you are coming from.Don't rattle any cages,and that's fine, if that's the way you think.

Have a very Happy Xmas:D

Thats fine ,respect your opinion,thats the way it was always done ,so why change, yeah ok, I see where you are coming from.Don't rattle any cages,and that's fine, if that's the way you think.

Its not a question of change or moving from the norm, the question should be is there a need for these over-priced presenters to claim overtime. Holidays are a fact of life. As I said in one of the posts last year, peoples routines are thrown out of whack anyway at Christmas, so its normal to see changes in the schedule.

Look at Sky News or BBC News 24. "Review of the Year" stuff gets replayed, as there is no news to report. Look at BBC Radio, Commercial Radio in the UK. RTÉ don't play it different than anyone else.

For my sins, LMFM is turned on where I am at present, and today, so far, they've only had one of their "a" team on air. (Chris Murray doing a solo run this morning.) Its a Monday, not a Bank Holiday, yet they don't mind people going. Lord knows it will be the same all week, and I hope they don't do that damned "Merry Christmas from New York" show this year. It ****ing grates my ears so much, I'll need a transfusion.
    Have a very Happy Xmas:D

Same to you dude, and everyone who reads the Radio board. :)

• Advertisement

Seán O'Rourke has pissed off early up here:D:D:D

Will he be seen again before Jan 06???

Anyway its Christmas, no need for rancour....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

BBC radio shutting down? I think not. I listened to Mr Wogan this morning, (I have a cold and am a bit depressed) pretty positive it was live....if an A rated presenter like that can crawl out of their scratcher on a chrimbo morning then no other jock really has an excuse. Radio1 was the same; no tape loops or similar. It's harder to tell with R4, but the links announcer and the newscaster were both live.
    In fairnes to RTÉ, I happened to catch Rick O Shea or someone on 2fm this morning and he was apparently live.
    My point is that it's just another day and audiences expect to be entertained....in some case they demand even more....and the fact is that they pay handsomely for it, so why the tapeloops and general malaise?

Wertz wrote: »
    BBC radio shutting down? I think not. I listened to Mr Wogan this morning, (I have a cold and am a bit depressed) pretty positive it was live....if an A rated presenter like that can crawl out of their scratcher on a chrimbo morning then no other jock really has an excuse. Radio1 was the same; no tape loops or similar. It's harder to tell with R4, but the links announcer and the newscaster were both live.

Looking through the Radio Times, only Wogans and Chris Moyles shows were by A listers. Radio 1 had a Kylie special, as well as 6 hours of repeats of their 40th birthday programming. On Radio 2, I'm almost 100% certain that Wogan records his Christmas morning programmes. He certainly has done in the past. Other than that, the only other A list Radio 2 presenter on air today is Alex Lester, the Dark Lord himself at 3am. The live programming on Radio 4 today besides the news and the CA's was the religious service. And even at that, the BBC have been known to tape Easter's "Songs of Praise" in November. :D

Radio 5 "Live" is a misnomer today, only Breakfast, Drive and Up All Night were live, everything else was tape loop. "The Best of Richard Bacon". roffle.

Looking at the RTE Guide and Radio 1, Tubridy was on today. So was Dunphy. And Brendan Balfe too ;) As you mentioned, 2FM had Rick, Colm and Jim Jim, and Will Leahy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I was listening to Arrrr-Tee-E Radio 1 last new year's night (that's how sad my life is!) and the automated system they have screwed up leaving the (live) presenter almost in tears as everything got miscued.

I think it's all part of the charm. There's something very reassuring about it!

Damn why do I miss all the good stuff.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

mike65 wrote: »
    Damn why do I miss all the good stuff.

Mike.

Think you missed more good stuff. Switched on the radio for the news this morning at 11, and immediately after Ruth Scott's voice (grrrrr) announced that New Year's Eve is finally here! Thing is, I'm not sure if they've put the right one on now, because Ruth isn't mentioning that it's St. Stephan's Day, and I'm pretty sure I've heard her say it's Saturday (my radio went mad so I couldn't hear properly) but then she read out a text about people who are working today. So either she's working today or they've put on the wrong one.

I'm majorly confused.

*scrambles for tuner button*

Wait, Ruth Scott?

*scrambles for power off button*

*scrambles for tuner button*

Wait, Ruth Scott?

*scrambles for power off button*

I know! I only listened because my radio was tuned to 2Fm and it took so much effort to turn the bloody thing on from my bed that I wasn't willing to put in the same effort to turn it off. Anyway, they seem to have fixed it now, because Ruth (when she speaks between 3 songs....good woman!) is talking about all the texts that she is getting about people wondering what to do.

It is a recording though, right? And she's just making up the texts?

I'd try listening to find out but I place too much value on my ears to allow that bag of cats to assault them.

I'd try listening to find out but I place too much value on my ears to allow that bag of cats to assault them.

Good man. I've turned it off anyway. Let someone else do the dirty work!

I was very naive in that I thought until this year that a lot of the shows that are recorded in advance were actually live. I don't really listen to the radio at Christmas anyway.

• Advertisement

The Joe Jackson tally.

1. Charlie Pride hour long interview at 9am today on RTE Radio 1.

Heh, Jackson may be the only rte contractee whose income soares at Xmas.

Mike.

First of many Dee.... first of many:D

Poor auld Maxi had to go on till 0900.

Looks like Brenda Power was live on Newstalk.

At least there was no tsunami which caught them all on the hop 3 years ago

I think it's a race between Joe Jackson and Neil Toner for the tape deck!!!!

"A" listers all gone to ground it seems.

Ronan Collins is on for 4 bloody hours today. My mother nearly had a heart attack when she heard. She usually switches off during his usual daily slot.

Thank God for DVDs and the internet!

Same again to-morrow Janey-keep an eye on the woman.

Don't let her see the license or it could bring her down;)

Same again to-morrow Janey-keep an eye on the woman.

Don't let her see the license or it could bring her down;)

Dear God, she might not survive til New Years at this rate!

Why Ronan Collins though? Surely RTE have a less irritating presenter available? Oh wait.....

Collins is ideal filler between the horse racing.

So is the beer tent; I know which one I'd be opting for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Newstalk were playing the same Hook show repeat this morning as the day before.

Why do they bother with these,think of the electricity they'd save at all their transmitter sites between midnight & 6:30

They might get a prize from John Gormless !

Seven Worlds will Collide

AWOL A List comparisons.... yesterday and today...

BBC Radio 1 -
    Greg James in for Chris Moyles
    Jo Whiley is playing a best of live acts, hard to know her links are live.
    James King doing movie reviews, in place of Edith Bowman
    Mark Chapman doing "Scott Mills Gold"
    A List count = 1, and possibly pre-recorded

BBC Radio 2 -
    Richard Hammond in for the Togmeister
    Ken Bruce covering his own show and Jeremy Vine's
    Lisa Tarbuck in for Steve Wright
    Bob Harris* in for Chris Evans, which is not a bad thing.
    Alex Lester in his usual dark hole.
    A list count = 2.

Radio 4 is near a normal service, there are a few repeats in terms of taped programming.

So for comparison, RTÉ holds up pretty well. Ronan Collins and Dave Fanning are on air, on 2FM, Rick O'Shea and Will Leahy are around.

*Good to see that Bob is back on the air after his recent illness.

Have to say that seriously RTE should be sued for their performance this Xmas.

FFS!! four hours of Collins and horse racing for two days at peak listening hours.

Cmon now, that smacks of pure fcukin laziness and takes the listener for a totally stupid sap who couldn't be arsed to complain.

I am going to e-mail leddy and protest(when I calm down) .

Its just not good enough.

jaysus even a bit of topical discussion for a while would lighten the absolute banality of what RTE are producing.
    The are ,in my honest opinion,taking the listeners as total gobshoooites.

I have no interest in what others are doing,I don't pay them.

Have to say that seriously RTE should be sued for their performance this Xmas.

That line there made my Christmas! :D
    FFS!! four hours of Collins and horse racing for two days at peak listening hours.

Brings back memories of Airs and Races with Val Joyce! :D
    jaysus even a bit of topical discussion for a while would lighten the absolute banality of what RTE are producing.

Perhaps, perhaps, people don't want topical discussion? I see Morning Ireland was on for an hour this morning. Drivetime is on this evening, but IMHO, I don't want Liveline on this week. It's Christmas week, I don't want to talk to Joe.
    I have no interest in what others are doing,I don't pay them.

Indeed, indeed, you say that, yet you'd like RTÉ to be closer to the standard bearers in PSB, like the BBC? They are no better or worse at this time of year. As I said last year, there is no routine at this time of the year, hence the radio schedules reflect listeners lives.

I wish to express my utter disappointment with your Radio 1 schedule
    on the 26th and 27th of December.
    To foist the listeners with over four hours of Ronan Collins and horse
    racing at a peak time for radio,to me
    smacks of arrogance and laziness and a "sure anything will do them"
    attitude,at this time of the year.
    The absolute banality of that schedule is incredible,and is something
    I,as a license payer,resent totally.
    As a public service broadcaster,and usually a good one,it never ceases
    to amaze me how RTE succumb
    to vested interests and "tradition" over the Christmas period.
    I fully realise that this e-mail will make no difference, and probably
    only generate an automatic reply,which is "par for the course" in RTE
    customer feedback parlance, but for the record I spent a lot of my
    listening time over this period tuned into Newstalk.

I will stay on that frequency unless RTE finally wake up and realise
    that listeners are possible more important
    than the terms and conditions worked out by the over cosseted people
    in your establishment,and you stop
    treating license payers as morons who will take any old rubbish you throw out.

Copy of letter sent to Anne Leddy RTE Radio

Thank you for your e.mail which has been forwarded to the office of the Head of RTÉ Radio One.

With every good wish.

Máire Nic Fhinn,
    RTÉ Information

Thats the story as she stands.28 Dec

• Advertisement

Good man. I know this issue narks you no end, so continue to send the mails until you get a positive outcome in your eyes. Because you are so narked about it, I'd write to the letters page of Irish Times or the Indo if I were you.

This might be contrary to what I typed before, but its not. We'll have to agree to disagree on this matter. It just needs more people to be as vocal about the issue as Flutter before anyone takes notice.

I was going to half suspect an "out of office until Monday 7th" reply, I dunno what would happen to Flutter if it did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would love to be able to talk to joe on the 26th about the poor standard of radio over christmas. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I see rte 1 radio have a lecture by the head of the world bank on newyears day at 2pm, it could be a 1 or 2 hour affair,not sure.
    Eh....I'll see yis there.

RTE are advertising a very special edition of Today with Pat Kenny on New Year's Eve. It's a whole show of music. Basically the easiest possible thing you could record in advance. But the less Pat the better in my opinion!

dubtom wrote: »
    I see rte 1 radio have a lecture by the head of the world bank on newyears day at 2pm, it could be a 1 or 2 hour affair,not sure.
    Eh....I'll see yis there.

If that is by a Nigerian lady,then I have already heard it, its a repeat.

Very interesting actually.... hardly for NYD though I would have thought.

• Advertisement

If that is by a Nigerian lady,then I have already heard it, its a repeat.

Very interesting actually.... hardly for NYD though I would have thought.
    Yes thats the one,surely not a repeat though,rte wouldn't stoop so low as to bla bla bla.....etc

Should we start this thread again.

I'll start it up around March 15th or so when all the first teamers head off TOGETHER on another extended break.

The Business was on this morning with the normally very good John Murray.

He had gathered some people to discuss the year past, including Shane Ross of the Sindo and Senate fame, but it wasnt yer average review, they did it by playing Monopoly. What a dull half hour that was!

And Rachel English covering for Marian, but no complaints on that substitution. Ms. English deserves a daytime slot.

Marian obviously has to do things in SA.

Two days in the weekend are to much for her it would appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Marian obviously has to do things in SA.

Two days in the weekend are to much for her it would appear.
    She spends the other five days a week coughing her guts out - silly woman.

Pat Kenny is on air but on an OB beano with lots of "music and entertainment"

Its not like "Today With..." has'nt got proper news and current affairs to discuss right now, what with Bhuttos assisination, Berties tax complience or otherwise etc.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Pre-Recorded me suspects.

I wouldn't know, I'm listening to Brenno O'Brien on Newstalk, all live and interactive this am as far as I can deduce.

Yep. Hats off for that much at least (not a fan of O'Brien)

Mike.

My ears bled tonight when I tuned into newstalk only to hear senator David Norris having a party with a few of his friends.He enjoyed himself immensly.
    I'm happy to say that the guy who does that skit on ryans show,impersonating people,has norris down to a tee,Oh yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement