Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

We dont have road tax in Ireland. The only time you pay/taxed to use a road is on a tolled road.
    No doubt MI Security meant to say "motor tax" rather than "road tax".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 MI Security

Thanks Malice

• Registered Users Posts: 25,712 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

churchview wrote: »
    .. and buses will be just as caught up in traffic chaos while the development is going ahead, and when it finishes it will make little difference to them as there is no bus route which uses the entire length of this road.

Yet.

And there would be little point in re-routng any buses until there is a bus-lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Work started on the SQR between the Corrib Park roundabout and Newcastle Road. One-way traffic and no parking along this stretch. Traffic was quite heavy on the Newcastle Rd about an hour ago.

Couldn't see any work on the SQR/BOD to the West of the Corrib Pk roundabout and traffic was no heavier than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

It seems that they are going to resurface Threadneedle Rd (from Deanne R/A to the junction with Dr. Mannix Rd). I've seen the temporary signage while walking towards Salthill.

• Advertisement

Galway City Council published a picture showing a would-be-final look of the upgrade: http://www.galwaycity.ie/GTU/220910_01.jpg

I hope they were not seriously showing us what kind of buses they planned to introduce/purchase.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Doors are on the wrong side of the bus.

Also, I doubt we will ever see that many buses on the road at the same time haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭distraction

so work might be close to starting, saw 5 guys in day-glow jackets putting up men at work signs on the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

KevR wrote: »
    Work started on the SQR between the Corrib Park roundabout and Newcastle Road. One-way traffic and no parking along this stretch. Traffic was quite heavy on the Newcastle Rd about an hour ago.

Couldn't see any work on the SQR/BOD to the West of the Corrib Pk roundabout and traffic was no heavier than usual.
    Is that anything to do with the 'proper' roadworks though? It looks like they were just re/laying cables rather than any road widening..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

so work might be close to starting, saw 5 guys in day-glow jackets putting up men at work signs on the road.

Discrimination.. what about women at work signs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭inisboffin

They were surveying at the junction of Rahoon Rd (upper) today, looks like they were planning where they will be slicing into the land opposite Glen Oaks to take more of the curve off that road going up to the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

often wondered about the old house in the trees on the right going up to Deane roundabout, is that for the bulldozer according to the plan? [edit: looks like it's staying put according to the scheme layout here] is it even lived in? looks like it was a fine house in its day

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Thank God I cycle

Barriers are finally up. Traffic towards the city was moved towards the median of the road.

From Monday, a one way system outbound from Rahoon Road junction to the roundabout at Fort Lorenzo. Inbound traffic diverted through Millars Lane and Rahoon Road. Lasts for only 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Greenview

Hi, just looking at the large pdf file on the Corpo website & saw three "items" on the bicycle lanes, which I cannot figure :confused:

They appear to go off the cycle lanes & then come back in at an angle, as though to go under the road, but as I've seen/heard nothing about underpasses, nor do I see them re-appear on the opposite sides, I'm left wondering.

Have a look at the screen-grabs.
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Greenview wrote: »
    Hi, just looking at the large pdf file on the Corpo website & saw three "items" on the bicycle lanes, which I cannot figure :confused:

They appear to go off the cycle lanes & then come back in at an angle, as though to go under the road, but as I've seen/heard nothing about underpasses, nor do I see them re-appear on the opposite sides, I'm left wondering.

Have a look at the screen-grabs.
    thanks.

Pretty sure that it is just the design of them thinking if we point the cycle lane across 4 lanes of traffic no one will have any trouble cycling across a busy junction:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Greenview wrote: »

I'm not surprised you cant figure it out as this will probably be the first time this concept "Hook Turn" has been introduced into Ireland.
    (Cyclists have been using the Hook turn concept for years in Ireland at busy multilane junctions, but this is the first time I have seen it in cycle lane/cycle path form)

These curves in the cycle lanes at the junctions are on road and are a space for cyclists to make a "HOOK Turn". Will involve lots of "time waiting" for cyclists making right turns. They are meant to have their own "On-Demand" button similar to a pedestrian crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭what_traffic

(Cyclists have been using the Hook turn concept for years in Ireland at busy multilane junctions, but this is the first time I have seen it in cycle lane/cycle path form)

Just one note - this would have been carried out at a 4 Way Type - Crossroads juntion. (In your pics these are 3 arm junctions) Also it is very useful to do this where there are right tun bans at these type of 4 Way junctions. For example if you where cycling from the Quincentenary Bridge towards the Seamus Quirke Road and wanted to goto IDA in Newcastle. Right turns are banned here for vechicles - but as a cyclist you could use this hook turn method and wait in front of traffic who have a red light on the Newcastle/Clifden road and go on that green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭39steps

Yes, JKForde, the house in the bushes on Bishop O'Donnell Road is inhabited. You'll often see the owner guy in a green VW parking beside the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,712 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    Discrimination.. what about women at work signs?

Women are always working, we don't need signs.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

JustMary wrote: »
    Women are always working, we don't need signs.

True. Ye snap down the sunvisor with the mirror in it and start working on the makeup the minute ye see a 'men at work' sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

snubbleste wrote: »
    From Monday, a one way system outbound from Rahoon Road junction to the roundabout at Fort Lorenzo. Inbound traffic diverted through Millars Lane and Rahoon Road. Lasts for only 6 months.

Whats the story with that? The one way system hasn't started yet. I, foolishly, followed the detour instructions only to get stuck at the junction at Hanley Oaks Hotel for about 40 minutes on Monday morning.

Does anyone know when the one way system is going to be implemented?

40 minutes, is that all? :cool:

I took it as gospel from our rulers
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/041110_02.html

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I meant to add, that I was stuck due to all the traffic, that wasn't supposed to be going down Bishop O'Donnell Road, not giving way.

Is the one way system supposed to be 24 hours a day or just on council time?

More than likely, half the road will be cordoned off with metal barriers like the rest of Seamus Quirke road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

took me 1 hr 20 minutes to get to work this morning, 55 minutes I spent being stuck in traffic between Silver Strand and Fr Griffin Rd. And I left before 8 am.

Not funny. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I meant to add, that I was stuck due to all the traffic, that wasn't supposed to be going down Bishop O'Donnell Road, not giving way.

One way system is in effect today but there is still traffic coming from houses next to the Glen Oaks so traffic coming down from the cemetry don't have right of way at the T-junction.

Traffic seems to be flowing well enough considering the current state of the road although I'm glad I use the bike most days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I took a chance and emailed gtu@galwaycity there yesterday, asking why the bus routes were twenty four hour, when we don't have twenty four hour buses.
    Surprisingly, I got an answer, but only saying that they'd answer later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

The way our bus goes in the morning is this Linky

Take 15-20 minutes leaving at about 8.15 from the Western Distributor!

Advertisement