Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seatbelts, do you wear them?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP here, and gotta say I'm blown away with the poll results.

I gurantee if I posted this thread 10 years ago ( did boards exist 10 years ago? :confused:), the poll result would be massivly different.

It's a cultural shift.
    And just as at one stage you'd see people belting up before checkpoints, now you see people not drinking & driving. Succuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

Would always wear it no matter what , you'd have to be a fool not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Only when I'm on the bike though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I do it without thinking. I won't ever risk my own life, nor would I even start the car with someone in it that wasn't belted up. Gtfo and walk if you don't like it, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

sdonn wrote: »
    Changed again, IIRC every child under 11 now has to have a booster until they exceed the required height - never understood quite why, something to do with being choked by the belt maybe.
    I think it has something to do with kids slipping under the strap on you waist.

Seriously though, I always wear it. Even if I'm locked out of my brains in a taxi, I'll still put it on. It's just been ingrained into me from an early age. When I do start driving, it'll be the same for them. Wear it or walk there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Always put it on. Enough people dyin on roads without a dusty shaped torpedo comin out the window at someone. The one time i didn was drivin half mile to local shop. Pulled and handed 2 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Always without exception, often even on buses after that bus crash in Navan some years ago where two girls who were the same age as me (at the time) were killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I wont move the car until everyone has a seat belt on. And sometimes people take it off on the sly. Why ****ing bother. I kicked someone out of my car for doing that. Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Always do. I actually lose the head when I see people driving around with kids standing up in cars and with no seatbelts on. Lucky im not a guard or id have them all locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yes I automatically do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

mikemac wrote: »
    Used to stroll around town (Nenagh) on my school lunchbreaks and watch people desperatly try to put on their seatbelt when they saw a garda.
    The garda station is in the centre of town. Twas the late 1990's.

I don't drive a car, only a moped :cool:
    But I get taxi's a lot and always wear my seatbelt in the back seat.
    And had taxi drivers comment on it. What, a taxi driver with an opinion??

So own up, do you wear it? Was it different ten years ago?
    And I'm guessing many wear seatbelts as a driver but maybe not in the backseat as a passenger? Is that you?

Many moons ago when I was a feckless underage drinker I used to stumble out of the nightclub & into a taxi along with about ten other people. More than once I travelled in the boot in order to get home or to a house party.
    There wasn't room for any of us to fart, never mind put on a seatbelt.

However times have changed, as have taxi drivers attitudes. I'd feel a bit weird if I didn't wear a seatbelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

liah wrote: »
    I just don't think about it, I never bother to put it on. It's not a conscious decision not to, though.

Make it a conscious decision or you may find that permanent unconsciousness is the only option you're left with.

Just think of this thread everytime you put the key in the ignition. After a while, it will be as automatic as putting the key in the ignition.

c - 13 wrote: »
    Will even wear the seatbelt just going to the shops, have told people to get out of my car before for not putting their seatbelt on.

Every time my GF's mother gets in the car she makes a point of not putting her seatbelt on. And every time she does, I make a point of not starting the engine until she puts it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

When i'm Working i dont use my seatbelt, its night time and the roads have alot less traffic on it.

The reason being, i've been robbed before in the taxi (fella pinned me to the back seat by my seatbelt) was unable to move.

But as regards daytime driving i buckle up the same for motorway driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Magic.Marker

I not driving at the moment but whenever I'm a passenger in the car I always were my seat & remind others to do so.

Have a friend who brought a second-hand mirca 4 months ago. The dealership replaced all the seatbeats in the car but they didn't install them correctly (the seatbeats are way TOO tight - they leave welts & cuts on your skin after a few minutes use). I keep telling her to return the car to the dealership to get them fixed, that they might do it for free since they were the ones that installed them incorrectly in the first place. It's been 4 months and she still hasn't done it yet so she's been driving around this long without them. :|

I not driving at the moment but whenever I'm a passenger in the car I always were my seat & remind others to do so.

Have a friend who brought a second-hand mirca 4 months ago. The dealership replaced all the seatbeats in the car but they didn't install them correctly (the seatbeats are way TOO tight - they leave welts & cuts on your skin after a few minutes use). I keep telling her to return the car to the dealership to get them fixed, that they might do it for free since they were the ones that installed them incorrectly in the first place. It's been 4 months and she still hasn't done it yet so she's been driving around this long without them. :|

HEY!!!! You are a fraud, you deserve the welts & cuts.
    The REAL Magic Marker is looking for you & when he finds you.........

Volvoboy wrote: »
    When i'm Working i dont use my seatbelt, its night time and the roads have alot less traffic on it.

The reason being, i've been robbed before in the taxi (fella pinned me to the back seat by my seatbelt) was unable to move.

But as regards daytime driving i buckle up the same for motorway driving.

but.....you're far less likely to be in a crash on the motorway. It only takes one piece of traffic to make you wish you wore your seatbelt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Oh God, maybe its a generational thing.

I grew up in the '70s & there was no such thing as this self righteous muck. I'm still here!

Still, Where there's a hysteria amongst women, there's a buck to be made!

Sunscreen? Never heard of it when I was a kid.
    Bet there's somebody making loadsa dosh out of it now!
    Carseats? Ditto.
    Catalytic convertors? Same.
    Oh, of course, the little darlings nowadays are all alllergic to nuts/the sun/marbles/life,etc............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Magic.Marker

easyeason3 wrote: »
    HEY!!!! You are a fraud, you deserve the welts & cuts.
    The REAL Magic Marker is looking for you & when he finds you.........

Huh?

Oh God, maybe its a generational thing.

I grew up in the '70s & there was no such thing as this self righteous muck. I'm still here!

Still, Where there's a hysteria amongst women, there's a buck to be made!

Sunscreen? Never heard of it when I was a kid.
    Bet there's somebody making loadsa dosh out of it now!
    Carseats? Ditto.
    Catalytic convertors? Same.
    Oh, of course, the little darlings are all alllergic to nuts/the sun/marbles/life,etc............

Ah, I can see what you're saying about allergies etc. load of bollix in my opinion. I'm seriously allergic to horse hair so I....avoid horses. Pretty simple.

However, I know that I'm not 'allergic' to my head bursting a windscreen and my skull being pulverised on the way. Or my 6 year old son who sits behind me in the car being made a vegetable by hitting my own head as he is on his way through said windscreen.
    A seatbelt may not save his life or mine. But then again, my son possibly having a life due to the wearing of a small belt, may make all the difference.

• Advertisement

Huh?

There is already a Magic Marker. Not Magic.Marker.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055587341

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Ah, I can see what you're saying about allergies etc. load of bollix in my opinion. I'm seriously allergic to horse hair so I....avoid horses. Pretty simple.

However, I know that I'm not 'allergic' to my head bursting a windscreen and my skull being pulverised on the way. Or my 6 year old son who sits behind me in the car being made a vegetable by hitting my own head as he is on his way through said windscreen.
    A seatbelt may not safe his life or mine. But then again, my son possibly having a life due to a small belt, makes all the difference.

Yeah but you have to agree that there are people on the road who grew up not using seatbelts/ drinking & driving/ speeding etc.
    There was a time when those things were almost acceptable because they were not enforced.
    It doesn't make it right but it happened, like the sceanario I described in a previous post of getting home in the boot of a taxi.
    Most peoples attitudes have changed an awful lot for the better. But I can see why the previous poster wrote what he did.

I always have the seatbelt on in the car. I'd usually put it on before I start the car. It amazes me that some people don't. Ever notice in car parks at supermarkets etc. that a load of people will pull off and try and out on the seat belt with one hand while driving. While they are doing this they are usually weaving around like mad yokes. Incredibly stupid.

Sleipnir wrote: »

A seatbelt may not save his life or mine. But then again, my son possibly having a life due to the wearing of a small belt, may make all the difference.

True. I have a 4 year old daughter myself & always keep her belted in.

I just get pissed off with all the 'safety nazis' out there telling one what to do. Just cos they were brainwashed into doing it 'cos of what they're being advised by with 'womens mags'

Always, there's someone, somewhere making a quid out of it.

Amazing really!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

True. I have a 4 year old daughter myself & always keep her belted in.

I just get pissed off with all the 'safety nazis' out there telling one what to do. Just cos they were brainwashed into doing it 'cos of what they're being advised by with 'womens mags'

Always, there's someone, somewhere making a quid out of it.

Amazing really!
    I'm really drunk now and I'm going to drive the wrong way down the M4.

Anyone got a problem with that?
    Huh?
    Bring it ****ing on.

Terry wrote: »

Nope, it's cool so long as you're wearing a seatbelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Huh?
    Bring it ****ing on.

Turn on your lights idiot....shakes fist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yep, can't drive without it on, feels weird without it.

I not driving at the moment

Thank god, posting on Boards while driving is almost worse than not wearing a seatbelt.

• Advertisement

Huh?
    Bring it ****ing on.

Aye I always think it's cool to drive around pished with the bairns in the Hiace boss.:D:D:D

Advertisement