Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seatbelts, do you wear them?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Always.

I've seen too many dead bodies 'cos of lack of wearing them and I have been to too many inquests for same reason.

Side issue: Seeing kids bouncing around (no belt on them either) in the front of moving cars - now that REALLY pisses me off big time and gets me angry.
    How stupid are some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Terry wrote: »
    Funnily enough the truck I was a passenger in one day didn't have seat belts.
    I barely moved when we ploughed into a merc and sent it flying through a traffic island.

I don't suppose that was in a tunnel in Paris in 1997?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I wear them, if i forget, the kids will yell at me.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I was in the back of a taxi the other day, four pax in the car (my parents and brother). My mum was in the middle, she's a touch on the wide side and couldn't be bothered putting her belt on (she always wears it when driving and usually as pax).

It was a tense ride home. We were very annoyed at her for not wearing it.

Inertial reels and pyro pretensioners ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

galwayrush wrote: »
    I wear them, if i forget, the kids will yell at me.:cool:
    How do you remember when your not kidnapping children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

My car doesn't move unless everyone in it is belted up, and I won't take more passengers than I have seatbelts.

Parents who don't belt their children in the backseats (and they are many) should be charged with endangerment.

My parents used to belt me in the back seat the whole time, mainly because I was a little sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Parents who don't belt their children in the backseats (and they are many) should be charged with endangerment.

I don't need to put my kids in the car to belt them. :pac:

Also, to correct a possible misconception, a driver is not liable if adult passengers do not wear a seatbelt. The passenger will be fined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I don't need to put my kids in the car to belt them. :pac:

Also, to correct a possible misconception, a driver is not liable if adult passengers do not wear a seatbelt. The passenger will be fined.

Yep, afair, if you are over sixteen years old and are a passenger in a motor vehicle and are caught not wearing a seatbelt, the fine is issued to you not the driver... but somehow I cannot find anything on the web...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,965 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Atari Splatguar tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭missbaker

I always wear it. i sit in the car and put on my seatbelt straight away! Its instinct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

mikemac wrote: »
    So own up, do you wear it?

You say it like there is something to be ashamed about wearing a seatbelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yep, afair, if you are over sixteen years old and are a passenger in a motor vehicle and are caught not wearing a seatbelt, the fine is issued to you not the driver... but somehow I cannot find anything on the web...

Statutory Instrument 359/1991, Part III, Para 7, sub para 3:
    (3) Subject to the provisions of article 8 of these Regulations, the driver of a vehicle to which this article applies shall not, as and from the 1st day of January 1993, permit a person who is under 17 years of age to occupy a forward facing seat, not being a front seat, unless that person is—

( a ) 4 years of age or upwards and is wearing a safety belt, or

( b ) restrained by an appropriate child restraint.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I always do..just don't feel safe without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I never wear a seat belt mainly because my vehicle doesn't have one. Even if it did I don't think I'd wear it, I reckon it would do me more harm than good in the event of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

RATM wrote: »
    I never wear a seat belt mainly because my vehicle doesn't have one. Even if it did I don't think I'd wear it, I reckon it would do me more harm than good in the event of an accident.

Explain how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Always, when i'm sitting in the front... not so much in the back.. i should wear it always though.... i never wear it on a bus becaus the ones in buses are crap imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

What makes you think it will do more harm than good? They are there for a reason.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Always wear one, and say out loud "seatbelts!" before we move off just incase:)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tinchy

Always wear one, and say out loud "seatbelts!" before we move off just incase:)

ha i do this too :P never wear them on buses though :confused:

Explain how.

Nothing to explain really, theres no seat belt on my wheels, end of, nothing really illegal about that IMO.
    I've gone at speeds in excess of 80mph without a seat belt, doesn't bother me whatsoever, i'm willing to take the risk and whatever happens, happens.
    Its my choice to do as I do, if dont wanna wear a belt then thats my choice.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Abigayle wrote: »
    Of course I do. With no disrespect for the dead, I need no further warning.

EXACTLY!! +1001

Saibh wrote: »
    What makes you think it will do more harm than good? They are there for a reason.

Because my vehicle is a motorbike:pac: yes, I'm one of those things that motorists hit and then say 'He just came out of nowhere!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

See, this is why you wear a seatbelt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You say it like there is something to be ashamed about wearing a seatbelt.

Not realy, sure didn't I post I always wear a seatbelt.

Just my style of posting I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Because my vehicle is a motorbike:pac: yes, I'm one of those things that motorists hit and then say 'He just came out of nowhere!"

Motorcycles come with an invisibility cloak as standard these days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Interesting point i found out recently, If you have had heart bypass surgery you dont have to wear a seat belt cause your chest bone is in a fragile state from being cracked open.... Anyone ever hear this?????

Not looking for medical info just querying if it was repeated somewhere else I know "the individul should confirm with a doctor"

Oh and I feel naked without one ie. a condom no sorry seatbelt! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Yes. If you don't you don't deserve to drive a car .If your caught without one you should be banned from driving for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Highsider wrote: »
    Yes. If you don't you don't deserve to drive a car .If your caught without one you should be banned from driving for life.

I think your spot on. As a parent I would kick the [EMAIL="a@se"]a@se[/EMAIL] of my children for not wearing one.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Always wear mine. I was in two crashes that would have been fatal for me had I not been wearing my seatbelt. In the second one the friction from the seat belt actually ripped through my shirt and chest but it was a very small price to pay.

Will even wear the seatbelt just going to the shops, have told people to get out of my car before for not putting their seatbelt on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Statutory Instrument 359/1991, Part III, Para 7, sub para 3:

Changed again, IIRC every child under 11 now has to have a booster until they exceed the required height - never understood quite why, something to do with being choked by the belt maybe.

Either way, the new law doesn't stop (well legally, it does) folks having their 8-9 year olds in the front seats... wasn't there evidence at one stage that if an airbag hits a small kid full tilt in the wrong place it can decapitate them/break their neck or something similarly vulgar?

As for adults wearing seatbelts - if you're on your own in the car, your risk tbh, if that means you go through the windscreen then frankly it's because you were thick enough not to bother. Anyone else in the car at all should mean compulsory wearing, except Garda etc and taxis - although because taxis carry public in the front I'm tempted to say they should wear them OR have some sort of barrier so they can't take the passenger out with their head if things go tits-up.

If you're a prent and you don't ensure the kids belt up, 10-year ban imho, and a massive fine to be paid once they are no longer dependants.

Advertisement