Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playwright - Blackrock what's happening???

Options
  • 08-06-2015 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Just passed the old Playwright on Newtownpark Avenue. Anyone know what's opening there ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Turning it into a Tesco Metro or express from what I've heard.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

scotchy wrote: »

Shame, I think a nice local pub could do really well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Shame, I think a nice local pub could do really well there.

There's a nice local pub around the corner and it's never too busy, so can't see how a second would be any different

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

scotchy wrote: »

That's been mentioned a few times here but frankly I doubt it. There's already a convenience store (Spar/Centra) in the Texaco filling station by the junction with the Monkstown relief road and opening a Tesco Metro that close would make no sense. Access and parking is ok for a pub on the Playwright site but a PITA if you're just popping in for a pint of milk, especially if coming from Newtownpark Ave.

Add to that the fact that whatever is going on in the Playwright site has been going on for several months now. If it was earmarked for a Tesco store, the contractor would have a deadline to meet and there would be large banners above the hoarding proclaiming that Tesco was on the way, opening on a given date.

Hopefully all will be revealed shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Planning finalised in April - development has now started on a "shop" + associated works. Additional 2 shops also being created from house next door with access/carparking joinging up with playwright.

All info available from DLCC planning files.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭spillit67

The latest rumour I had heard was a Starbucks was going to be put in part of the site with a retail operation and another shop there as well. The Butler Brothers who own the site are the owners of the franchise, hence the rumour.

Tesco Express isn't happening. That was I believe the tentative plan when they closed TGIs originally but planning was refused at that stage. Now Tesco are focusing on their current stores and trying to fight back after their recent debacles.

There was at least 4 incarnations over a 5/6 year period of the old Piggybank shop and the old Peppercorn site is now a Deli doing okay. The site definitely has potential, the old Playwright was one of the busiest pubs in Dublin twice being the most expensive pub in the country. The Centra Texaco is ridiculously busy with that new link road increasing traffic further in the area.

I'm guessing they're building the above and hoping someone will come in. You'd have to think Aldi and Lidl looked at it at some point. Not sure why they didn't just give up and put apartments on it a year or two ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Perfect spot for another Wetherspoons!

Another idea was for an Avoca. Perfect site really but a bit close to their Monkstown store currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

spillit67 wrote: »
    The latest rumour I had heard was a Starbucks was going to be put in part of the site with a retail operation and another shop there as well. The Butler Brothers who own the site are the owners of the franchise, hence the rumour.

Tesco Express isn't happening. That was I believe the tentative plan when they closed TGIs originally but planning was refused at that stage. Now Tesco are focusing on their current stores and trying to fight back after their recent debacles.

There was at least 4 incarnations over a 5/6 year period of the old Piggybank shop and the old Peppercorn site is now a Deli doing okay. The site definitely has potential, the old Playwright was one of the busiest pubs in Dublin twice being the most expensive pub in the country. The Centra Texaco is ridiculously busy with that new link road increasing traffic further in the area.

I'm guessing they're building the above and hoping someone will come in. You'd have to think Aldi and Lidl looked at it at some point. Not sure why they didn't just give up and put apartments on it a year or two ago though.
    They also own leisureplex, but there won't be a bowling alley there. Starbucks wouldn't work in that location.

The retail store will be about 5000 / 6000 Sq ft, so it's tesco Express / M&S simply food or similar. It won't be Aldi/Lidl as it's too small.

Tesco just not opening any "extra" stores or large format supermarkets. They are still looking to open Express stores.

• Advertisement

Would a shop like Donnybrook Fair / Fresh do well there I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Would a shop like Donnybrook Fair / Fresh do well there I wonder.

There is already another Donnybrook Fair at Stillorgan Shopping Centre so again too near in a location like the old playwright site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Whatever it is, they have taken an absolute age with renovations. I know the removal of thatch took quite a while but I've never seen such a small site take so long; its well over a year at this stage.

I guess it must be a skeleton crew working on it. Perhaps insurance prompted it, the place was falling apart and the roof would have been a serious hazard and I imagine the cost of it being empty was still very big. Clearly there's no tenant lined up which isn't ideal for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Blut2

From the outside it looks like they've added more floor space to it - expanding into the old smoking area?

Will be interesting to see what finally emerges from the mysterious "shop" planning permission.

Its a shame Wetherspoons didn't move in, it would have been a good fit I think.

Blut2 wrote: »
    From the outside it looks like they've added more floor space to it - expanding into the old smoking area?

Will be interesting to see what finally emerges from the mysterious "shop" planning permission.

Its a shame Wetherspoons didn't move in, it would have been a good fit I think.

Yeah the added floor space area looks prime built for a cafe or some sort.

Have to say I'm glad it's not Wetherspoons, the underage (have seen and heard loads of them there) and 18 year old contingent currently invading the Blackrock pub at weekends or holidays is atrocious and completely puts me and and my mates off the place.

I think I might call in and the butcher next door does he know !

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

I think I might call in and the butcher next door does he know !

They didn't a couple of weeks ago.

The lads in the Wishing Well were saying on their Facebook that the security guys are saying it's to be an Aldi...

Taking it with a pinch of salt but tis possible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Pity its not another bar - the area could do with something decent. I used to work in the Playright back in the day - it was a fantastic spot. I'd hate to see it turned into a crappy shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

The Wishing Well Facebook page is saying its going to be an Aldi.

:rolleyes:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Work is so slow on this project that I seriously doubt they have anything lined up and are just spending whatever spare cash flow they have from their other assets to build it up to something respectable.

It's actually astonishing how slow it is being developed. It has been at least 14 months by my count (at the least) since work has started.

It's actually astonishing how slow it is being developed. It has been at least 14 months by my count (at the least) since work has started.

Insurance costs and running costs must have really spiraled and forced their hand.

The building hasn't generated cash flow in nearly 4 years now and it was the most expensive pub in Ireland! Imagine what they are paying for it yearly to just sit there!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

spillit67 wrote: »
    Insurance costs and running costs must have really spiraled and forced their hand.

The building hasn't generated cash flow in nearly 4 years now and it was the most expensive pub in Ireland! Imagine what they are paying for it yearly to just sit there!

or they could have benefitted from it in generating no cash and received a 75% debt write down...

Sorry for reopening old post but I passed this yesterday and it definitely looks like a small supermarket is going in there. I hope it's Fresh or similar but it will probably be a large Centra. Does anyone know ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

There's a centre across the road I think?

There's a centre across the road I think?

That's just down from it, attached to the petrol station. It is small though. I think from the size of the TGI building it will be a mini mart size.

I don't think anything is happening with the site.

When the fake facades are put up its usually a sign that they've either been told by the council to fix its appearance and/or its trying to be sold off.

I hope I'm wrong but as with the old AIB building in donnybrook it's probably just to improve the appearance while it sits vacant.

• Advertisement

I don't think anything is happening with the site.

When the fake facades are put up its usually a sign that they've either been told by the council to fix its appearance and/or its trying to be sold off.

I hope I'm wrong but as with the old AIB building in donnybrook it's probably just to improve the appearance while it sits vacant.

You're probably right. I hope not though. Such a waste a building of that size sitting there vacant.

Advertisement